Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The "I just bought a Subaru" thread was turning into a general Subaru thread. I think this is a good idea. Might be worth putting some info into the OP like a comprehensive guide to Subaru engines with respect to headgasket failures, since this seems to be the most common question anyone asks.

I also want to mention that I just ordered my first new car, a 2009 WRX 5-door, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy a car and wait 6 to 8 weeks for it to show up without having had a test drive. Not my first Subaru, though.

edit: I may have fooled people with my custom title, but I do not actually have a white and gold Subaru. I had wanted to get gold wheels for it, but never did. It is just white and gray. I'll have to change that once I get my new car.

edit2: I thought your video was going to be the Mountain Lab one. This is so much better.

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nm posted:

Frozen lakes are better
Subaru's need wipers for the side windows.

I did an Ice Racing event once a few winters back. I had the driver's side window down to accommodate a side mounted camera, and the track was essentially a large clockwise loop, so I was basically sideways without a windshield the entire time. I had snow everywhere in the car after that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BTW, some pictures of my current car:
Doing what it was meant to do.

Post doing what it was meant to do.

It is really like a stealth car in the snow.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Aftermarket wheels might normally not be much of a molestation, but those wheels are akin to raping a child and getting away with it. (Maybe it's just me, but I hate white wheels)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MrSaturn posted:

Now I'm very much not a subaru guy (but I'm not a NOT subaru guy, if that makes sense), and I have a question here: the strip going across the header, what's the deal with that? Why would you want that there? Does the stock exhaust manifold have something similar? Do the crazy lightweight rally-types remove that bar entirely? I think I'd want to have it gone.

Might just be a shipping thing? It looks like it would interfere with the oil pan and stuff.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

sparticus posted:

I am ready to pull the trigger on an 08 or 09 5-door wrx. My only problem making the decision is that I know I can get a hell of a deal if they have some 08's on the lot. Does the price justify the improvements or will I be able to use the money I saved on some upgrades?

I am also in the VIP program so I get invoice no matter what.

You'd probably be spending a quite a bit to get upgrade the suspension and power to match/exceed the 2009. You'd also have to get an '08 premium to get all the aesthetic bits of the '09, and even then you'd still have that chrome strip on the back and the ugly grille.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

We should have a New England Subie/AI meet.

edit: and by this, I mean an AI meet, with some cool people I know from NESIC.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

I'm down. I know a shitton of Subaru people in MA I could probably convince to go.

Edit: Didn't you just get an new 09?? Demanding photos.

Ordered from Village Subaru. The only pictures I can give you are of the official order they faxed me. It should be here around Thanksgiving as in Thanks for giving me a good deal on my trade in, suckers!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Oh cool, I have a few friends who live in Acton, Carlisle and Concord, and one who purchased a car from Village Subaru, said they were pretty good to deal with.

I called on a Thursday trying to just get an idea of what I could pay relative to invoice in SoNE's territory, and when they asked me what I wanted to pay, I panicked and said $500 over invoice. That is the price that ended up sticking when I went in Saturday to order one. I told them the price I got over the phone, so we went with that, and I was expecting to walk out over the trade in value because I was really just trying to get an idea of where to put a base line for an as-is PP sale. They ended up offering me about $1500 over what I was willing to accept, which was about $2000 more than I really thought they'd offer me.

They were very good about the whole process, though. They work their drat telepathic powers, though, since I called just trying to find a price, and they managed to use that to get me in the door where I was just trying to get a value on my trade-in, and in the end, I walked out $1000 poorer (deposit, but I got $30 Subaru Bucks for it) and with an order for a car.

I couldn't be happier, though.

edit: Also, up until January, I was living with my parents in Westford. My uncle lives in Maynard, and I was riding with him that morning, so I was in the area. I'm currently down in Franklin, but I'm trying to get a new job that would allow me to move back up into that area.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Click for full.

I was just loading my car up at 11:30 PM with bags full of clothes (half the units in this building have a bed bug problem, mine excluded, but they are spraying all of them, and they advised I wash everything and bring it back after it is sprayed), and the lighting was awesome.

There is a very yellow/orange light up in the trees above this parking spot, and the light was hitting the car through the leaves which were also yellow/orange, so the whole thing was completely bathed in yellow/orange. I did 7 source shots and an HDR merge and then desaturated it a little bit. I didn't add any color, or subtract any color (aside from the 50% saturation across the board). I thought the effect came out pretty cool.

You can also fit 9 kitchen trash bags full of clothes in the trunk of a 96-01 Impreza.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Since my RS is getting traded in, I swapped out my STi short shift kit and Kartboy bushings with a friend's stock linkage (chopped shift lever though :I), and oh my god, the first thing I'm getting when I get my WRX is the shift kit and bushings.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

I'll go ahead and say that anyone with a manual Subaru should have this as the first on their To-Do List. Get the Cobb DA shifter and bushings and you'll be set, adjustable height and throws.

Looking at the Cobb shifter, you can adjust one side for height and the other side for throw? The only problem I forsee is that with the proper short shift kit (STi), they include a shortened shift linkage, as well, and it is designed so that the linkage won't hit the metal surround around the shift lever. As I understand it, when using the Kartboy shifter, some people need to bend the plate to give the linkage room to move.

I don't think the adjustability is going to be useful to me, and while the STi kit is more expensive, I know I won't have any problems with it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

spodermang posted:

I just got a 2009 WRX. It's a step up from my old 2001 Passat.

The sport grille is so bland compared to the stock '09 grille.

edit: Not ragging on your purchase, ordered one myself. I just see the sport grille now and it is so plain. In person you see right through it and there is just... nothing.

carticket fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 14, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bombtrack posted:

How hosed is my transmission? I have an 04 WRX and I was parked on a hill with the front of my car facing down, so I had my car with the e-brake up and the car in gear (reverse) because it's a pretty steep hill. I forgot my car was in gear so I dropped the clutch without thinking, and my car jerked real hard and made a pretty high pitched whirring sound. I started driving and the sound went away, I drove about a mile to my friends apartment. When I got there, I put the car in reverse and it made a horrible, horrible metal grinding sound. It was also difficult for me to get it in first after that. I'm getting it towed tomorrow to a dealership, but does anybody know what I'm looking at?

I take it you couldn't back up when in reverse? You probably shredded the idler gear, the teeth for gear engagement or one of the other reverse gears. The horrible grinding sound is teeth not engaging and knocking against each other a bunch of times per revolution. The whirring sound you heard is probably related to the metal shavings and chunks floating around in the oil.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tristram.mp3 posted:

This looks like a video game with motion blur turned on.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mutar posted:

Oh, I already have stands/jacks ready, I was just looking for the lug wrench to pull the wheels off.

Why do you suggest a full flush? I expected to have to bleed them when I finished with the change but if a full flush is really needed then I'll do it. What all is involved in a full on flush?

Lug wrench might be on top of the spare wheel.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I called the dealership that I ordered the car from earlier to see if there was an updated timeframe. There wasn't. He did say it was in the 5th allotment for them (5th out of 5) and they come in every few weeks, which I would guess means I won't see the car this year in reality. I'll probably call them tomorrow to see if I can get the same price on one that comes into stock. I wouldn't mind so much, because I am starting to waffle a bit on the color. (edit: White versus DGM)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Dude you can't go wrong with either Alpine White or DGM, they are the two best colors.

Edit: Alpine White with gold (BBS?) 17/18s, a slight drop, red taillamp overlays, slight window tint, and a blacked out sports grill. Car would look so awesome.

It was Aspen White for 2008, but now it's Satin White Pearl. It is much softer, and I like the Aspen White quite a bit, since my current Impreza is Aspen white. I'd want to trade wheels, though, as the dark wheels don't mesh as well with the light colors.

It would basically take a miracle, though, because the only WRXs coming in are premiums.

The part that disappoints me most is that they've got a $1000 deposit which is "non-refundable". I think if the end of November comes around, I'll tell them to give it back to me, because I am pretty sure by then, I'd be able to pick one up on any lot, and if Village happens to get one sooner that matches, I'll jump on it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are you sure it's not the VF52 turbo? That's what is on the USDM 2009 WRXs. It has similar components to the STi turbo, but it is not quite the same. I think it shares a compressor or impeller but not the other. Something like that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am pretty sure that the suspension bits for anything from 93-01 will fit, and newer stuff might work, too, with modification. I think the 2.2 and 2.5 are different enough that a bunch of the upgrades won't work, but there is still probably plenty available.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So apparently a bunch of 2009's are having problems with engines eating themselves before break-in is even over. It is hard to say that it isn't just the driver being a jackass, but the trend seems to be that these cars are having issues at about 200 miles. Hopefully it's nothing, and hopefully if it is an issue, they have already fixed it, since mine was just recently manufactured, or has still not yet been manufactured.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jamal posted:

Where did you hear that?

In the 2009 Impreza thread in News & Rumors on NASIOC there are at least two people reporting spun bearings at ~200 miles, and a third reporting that he had rod knock within 15 hours of driving off the lot. As I said, it could just be people being jackasses. One of them bought the car at ~200 miles already, so it was probably flogged on test drives (makes me glad I ordered mine and should get it with < 10 miles). There are also second hand reports of more problems.

I am doubting it is abuse, though, because there haven't been reports of trouble getting the car repaired, or in at least one case, the entire car is getting replaced.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cat Terrist posted:

There's the problem - NASIOC is a shithole.

And yet despite this, I still believe that when someone posts a video on YouTube with the sound of rod knock coming from their engine bay that they just might be telling the truth. NASIOC's reputation aside, there are engines blowing up with few miles on them. What the cause is, who knows. It also seems to be abnormally high, since so few 2009's have hit dealerships.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you have Vista, the photoviewer has an autoadjust feature that should fix the exposure. If you have XP, download IrfanView (free program) and it can fix the exposure.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kimbo305 posted:

How does the bottom end on a boxer engine work? Is the block actually 2 blocks or are they connected somehow?

Two halves that split down the middle, with the oil pan on bottom (where else?). I really have no idea how they are stuck together, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

AWD was just an option, not a separate trim level. It may be that all the 5-speeds were AWD, as the slushboxes have some crazy gizmo for a differential that makes it easy to switch into "FWD" mode. So, it could just be that without the rear drive shaft and differential and all that crap.

edit: Nope, FWD can be had with the stick and the slush.

http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html#1993%20impreza

carticket fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 31, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Disciple of Pain posted:

Yes, but if the car in the pic can be identified as a BASE model, it must be FWD.

Some other hints:

If we can figure out if those are 14" wheels it is likely AWD (FWD was 13).

According to that site the base model only had one mirror. THis has two, clearly (must be an L then, but L was available with FWD too).

Also, looking at the specs... WTF is a hill-holder clutch?

Yeah, I didn't see the note above about the base model being FWD only. I can tell you based on the 16" wheels in my Impreza, which, AFAIK, the wheel wells haven't changed since '93, those definitely look like they'd have to be 14".

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MMD3 posted:

few new photos from a "Shining" themed Halloween party at Timberline Lodge.

It looks like you've got a little bit of vignetting there.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

I'd guess by the amount of vignetting that it was on purpose/Photoshop.

It was meant to be a bit sarcastic/cynical.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Anyone know how the base Rally Armor mudflaps differ from the UR RA mudflaps in terms of performance?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ub818 posted:

Finally posting that I picked up an 08 WRX at the end of October.

I have a question about the Tire Pressure Monitoring system - say that I want to get a set of wheels for snow tires. And I pick up part # 28103AG01A for each wheel. That means I gotta hit up my dealership to put the new IDs into the ecu for the TPMS right? Unless there's some mysterious tool that everyone says "there should be an aftermarket soon" Is there one available? From what I'm reading, the offset from 2002 hasn't changed so I can pick up a used set of wheels on the cheap - mount snow tires and the TPMS valves and be good right?

So far I love the car and I'm looking to get an Access Port for it soon.

My plan when my 09 gets here is just to not use the TPMS in the winter. The dealership charges $45 to mate the sensors, so it is a lot easier for me to just keep track of what wheel was where and put them back.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Despite what most people will say, NASIOC has tons of information on it. I've found Scoobymods to be great for just what the website is named: if you want to figure out how to do some mod, they've probably got a thread with a guide on it. NASIOC just has so much information on anything you could need to know, and more often than not, there is a local group of non-retards. In the NESIC area, there are a lot of idiots who think a great meet up is going to BK and driving a congested road into Boston, but there's also the group of good people who are great to hang around with and also very knowledgeable.

Basically, you just need to stick with the people who have been there for a long time. If they registered back around 2002, it's a safe bet that they aren't some retard that wants advice on what blowoff valve to get.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you ever wanted an STi, now is the time to buy. People in New England are getting 2008 STis equipped with the BBS wheels for $29,000. It is making it really hard for me to just shitcan my 2009 WRX order and jump on an STi instead, and while it is only a few thousand more at this point, in terms of what I'd be financing, it would be a 20% increase in cost.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cat Terrist posted:

They have RALLY on them. Duh, of course they are God's gift to mudflaps.

No, they are ricing BS that real rally drivers laugh at - You can do better and cheaper with a set of aftermarket rubber ones or hell, make your own with the stuff that trucks use. If you want REAL rallying protection, the urathane is at least twice as thick and a good deal wider and drops lower, while extending higher up the arch.

I guess someone used the word "rally" in vain. Yep, functional mud flaps are rice.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nm posted:

Strangely enough though, if you own an LGT and want something to keep winter from tearing the crap out of your rear-quarter panels (a problem with LGT wagons up in MN) and don't go off-road and don't want to look like a wanna-be rally racer, they're perfect.
Mine don't even say anything on them.

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ITS RICER poo poo!

Australia doesn't even really get winter.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cat Terrist posted:

In fact I used this same kind of urethane on the VR4 to start with. Have a guess how long they lasted. And how little it actually did to protect? (It also cost me 20 dollars)

Again, Cheap conveyor belt rubber - gently caress even mudflaps off a semi cut down works better than this poo poo. Your paying at the list price 130 dollars and you want to tell me they are worth it when I know that a 5 dollar solution works better and a 30 dollar solution looks okay too? And doesn't make you look like a wanker? FYI, real rally mud flaps cost less too. And you have some left over for suspension protection.

Worked out why I'm shaking my head at the stupidity of "Rally Armor" yet?

Now this on the other hand is real rally armor

We get it. You rally race. Those of us that don't value functionality for on-road driving, and also value appearance, since it is a daily driver and the whole reason people are using these is to keep their paint from getting chipped to hell. Yes, the brand has the word rally in it. Yes, they sell a cheap set that is plastic and/or rubber (I'm not sure what). 99% of the people on this forum are looking for on-road protection from small rocks, road debris, and the salt/sand that is put on roads when the are covered in ice and snow.

Some people just don't want their car to look like this after a few thousand miles, and want the solution to look nice:

Here's some more stuff to get you riled up! (Not grouping this with the mudflaps, since skid plates really have no use on-road, but I bet a company called "Rally Armor" making this crap will really get you going!)

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 15, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Baby Hitler posted:

A pair of Sparco mudflaps is $20 from SubeSports, they are universal fitment and are actual mudflaps rather than stock Subaru ones which keep grime off the body and nothing else. Rally Armor ones are nice, but the price is a bit steep if you want to just have basic working mudflaps.

Universal fitment sounds like it means drilling. Also, they're only available in red, white, or blue. That's a little gaudy for a daily driver that you just want to keep in good shape.

edit: Apparently you can now get the Rally Armor flaps through Subie dealerships, so I'm just going to blow my SubieBux on a set of the Urethane ones, because it's only going to cost me $30.

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 15, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lando posted:

HAHga $500 for a short shifter? Go to kartboy.com and look for the shifter there. It takes about 10-15 minutes to install.
1. take off trim around shifter in car
2. unscrew knob
3. unbolt 1 bolt
4. push shifter at odd angle, and it will pop out of the socket
5. wipe grease from one ball to new ball
6. use rubber mallet or taped hammer to 'knock' the new ball into the joint<required a good bit of force
7. replace bolt from earlier
8. replace trim and knob
9. shorter shift! good job!

Its extremely easy. the kartboy stuff goes for around $100. guides can be had online by searching. I also <with help> installed my catback exhaust. Extremely easy to do with a floor jack and some stands. About 1 hour if everything goes well.

To be fair, the STi short shift kit is a complete linkage and probably gives a bit better feel as a result. Also, if you replace the whole thing, you can hit all the bushings and replace them with harder ones. I'm not sure how much good a Kartboy short shifter alone would do.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am pretty sure Subaru of New England and Ernie Boch Jr. saw my order for a base model 2009 WRX almost two months ago and bumped it to the bottom of the pile and kept it there for a few weeks. I just heard from my car salesman today that it is still probably a couple weeks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

It flurried very lightly in Northampton MA yesterday, gotta throw my Nokians on Monday before I head upstate to NY this week.

I still can't put my snow tires on, because I'd just have to take them off when the WRX arrives. Also, the paint on them is still curing for another week.