Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GravityDaemon posted:

I got my 09 WRX earlier in October and Subaru of Wakefield had a few left in the lot after mine. Is yours a special color or something?

This will be my first winter with a non-boat car; I used to drive a 93 Cadillac DeVille sedan. I've yet to purchase snow tires, but Im gonna get on that tomorrow or Wednesday. A few of my college friends both had Blizzaks (one had an 03 STI and the other had a Saabaru, forget what year). I checked online and they're quite expensive, I was hoping to not spend a fortune. Any recommendations? Im in Somerville MA if that helps. The snowfall isn't super insane, but it snows enough.

e: D'oh, missed the part about Ernie and the Automatics. Different dealerships = different stocks Im assuming.

Special color = 5-door DGM and a base model. The only 2009's I had seen come in at that point were premiums. There are no 2009's inventories in MA or NH right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wait, so they're going for $27k?

Oh god that is too tempting for my own good.

I posted a few pages ago, people are getting them with the BBS wheels for $29k locally. That would put a base STi at $27k, yes. I am ridiculously tempted to just take the light gray one at the dealership that I am getting my 09 WRX through, just because I don't want to wait anymore. Too bad light gray is a terrible color for the STi, and I'd need to get new wheels to put snow tires on.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm pretty tempted to trade my LGT in for satin white. Oh man :/

'08 was still Aspen White.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I just calculated it out, and with interest over four years, I would pay $21,502 for my 2009 WRX. If I get the STi on the lot for $30,500 (maybe less if I can get them to dealer trade for one without BBS), and assuming I qualify for 0% (which I should), it would cost me $24,058. $2,500 to upgrade from a WRX to an STi. I never thought to factor in the interest. At the end of four years, the STi would probably still get about $20,000 private party (if depreciation is consistent). So, really, the STi is very doable.

I think I will be stopping by Village Subaru this weekend.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I already emailed them to see if I can put the deposit towards another car on the lot. Next step if that is go, is to see if they'd be able to dealer trade for one of the few remaining white and golds left in the area. If not, I'd probably pick another color for them to dealer trade for. Advantage for any color other than white and blue is that I can get one without the BBS package, because silver wheels are silver wheels, and I'm not particularly attached to the BBS, I just want the gold when available.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Powers posted:

I already emailed them to see if I can put the deposit towards another car on the lot. Next step if that is go, is to see if they'd be able to dealer trade for one of the few remaining white and golds left in the area. If not, I'd probably pick another color for them to dealer trade for. Advantage for any color other than white and blue is that I can get one without the BBS package, because silver wheels are silver wheels, and I'm not particularly attached to the BBS, I just want the gold when available.

So, the $1000 is transferable to an STi purchase. They might be able to do a dealer trade for me, but he wasn't sure about the price ($30,500). It's really just contingent on the price and 0% financing at this point. I might come home from this weekend with an STi.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mat_Drinks posted:

After encouraging Mr. Powers to look at an STI I admittedly did the same myself.

I went to The_Slaughters dealership here in WA and test drove an 08 DGM sti. Initially asking was 29.8 with it having the short shifter, shift knob, all weather mats, the homelink mirror, and ipod interface.

Only prob is that the trade in offer for my 06 LGT 15.5, which while probably a little movable didn't seem movable enough relative to the sti price, so I don't know if I can bring myself to make the change. The sti is definitely awesome though.

I think his dealership likes to play hardball on the trade-ins. I talked to him a lot about various things before I went in for the 09 WRX order, and he was saying that his dealership would give me something like $4000 trade on my '01 RS, and if I were dealing with him and wanted more for it, they'd just find somewhere else to make up for it. When I went to Village they offered $5900 for it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

No go on the STi deal. The reason my friend was able to get such a good price was because they lowballed the gently caress out of him on the trade to make up for it. They started $3k higher than my upper limit and I got them down to $2k higher before I just told them that it sounded like I wanted a much better deal than they could give right now. Also, I would have had to buy new wheels and tires for winter. It was a great car, though. Got to test drive it. The shifter can't even be considered notchy, there are no notches, it's just either in gear or not in gear. The SI drive in I mode is pretty wierd, it feels like it just cuts the car's power in half, but I think all it does is adjust how your throttle input maps to throttle output, or it is at least a big factor. The brakes are also insane.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jamal posted:

05+ has wider wheels and better front wheel bearings. There are a few other little things but those are the major items in my mind.

I think '05 was when they switched to 5x114, too.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lando posted:

Yeah, which is why everyone with a WRX wants 04 sti bbs goldies.

Over at nasioc, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646450

Someone is selling a 99RS sti swap. Looks pretty nice and a major sleeper. I'm curious on the trunk though, because someone actually DID put masking tape over the holes and paint it silver. Its posted over there as a joke. I wonder if this guy did it for real.

It was originally an STi swap from Rallispec, but it now is some Frankenstein block, which I'm guessing means the original professionally swapped engine is toast, and so it was rebuilt with various parts available. I'd also be wary of the aftermarket ECU.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fantastipotamus posted:

Did you drive it in S or S#, too? Or since it was unsold did they only allow you I? SI drive makes a huge difference in the performance of the car, as you noted. After my tune especially, S# is almost too sensitive to drive in traffic.

When we were picking up the new Outback, took a quick look at the pair of STi's they have locally and uhh.. yeah, $30k sticker was not to be seen anywhere. In fact, the two they had were closer to $40k than they were to even 35k.

She's got condensation in the lenses of her OB though already, so I think if it's still there in the spring, we'll be pulling her lights and baking them to remove the condensation, then sealing around the edges. The dealership gave us the "they're an open headlight and theres nothing we can do yadda yadda", so I'll resign myself to getting it out later.

I drove it in I and S. I was just commenting on how weird I(drive) felt. I didn't really get to stretch it's legs as it only had 20 miles on it, and I also wanted to keep a good relationship with the guy, since if the STi deal fell through (and it did) he was still the one selling me my 09.

The sticker price won't change. They are getting dealer cash based on the number of STis they sell. I was going to a low volume dealership, so it looked like they were getting about $2000-$2500 back per STi, since they offered initially $2500 off MSRP. The higher volume dealerships with enough 08 STis to hit the mark will be getting $7000 back per car, so they'll offer lower prices. I know for a fact, you should be able to get an STi with BBS in New England for under $4k. Depending on how much flex there is in your trade, you can probably get it down in the lower $30's (< $32k).

Also, if you know how to properly bake the lights, I might need to hit you up to help me with the lights from my WRX. At some point, I might want to black out the chrome.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fantastipotamus posted:

Still have my phone #?

Actually, I just cleaned out my old phone two weeks ago so it could be donated. I won't be doing anything probably until the summer.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I can get PDF versions of pretty much anything. Just PM me or AIM me with what you need.

edit: Everything is broken down into the individual sections, so getting things like complete owner's manuals or service manuals could take hours to find and download all the PDFs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nm posted:

RE-08 WRXes

08 STIs are leaving lots for ~$27k, so if you have the means. . .

It would have to be a high volume dealership and also a base model STi to have a chance of getting that deal. I would imagine it would be hard to find a dealership with enough volume to secure the $7000 dealer cash that still has any on the lot. I feel sorry for the low volume dealerships, because they're going to get stuck with all theirs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have Eibach springs with AGXs on my 01 RS. They're nice, but the ride is a little harsh. I think that's because everything is getting worn at this point. There are 75k on them now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am dreading the week or so where I won't be able to do runs up to redline.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Pickup date: Thursday evening.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zsbaug24 posted:

A week psh. I rolled through my 1k miles in like 3-4 days. Just need to find excuses to drive everywhere.

The problem is moving and finishing up at work all at this same time.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

http://ytrewq.org/wrx/IMG_0182.jpg
http://ytrewq.org/wrx/IMG_0183.jpg
http://ytrewq.org/wrx/IMG_0184.jpg

The car somehow never had the fogs installed, so they are doing that. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get it until after the weekend because I'm moving. I also forgot my copy of my lease here in Franklin, so I have to wait until Monday to do all the registration.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Took long enough!

And it's still not over!

I need to get my lease, fax it to Village, take lease and bill of sale to Nashua town hall to get temp plates and application for registration, call insurance company to get binder faxed to Village, bring application for registration back to Village for them to fill out, and then I have to send in my paper work for vanity plates. All the while moving from the MA/RI border to the NH/MA border and finishing my last week of work where I am now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Goddamn, should have made the dealer do all that legwork for you.

They can't. I probably could have gotten them to cooperate with Subaru of Nashua to get me temp plates, but even then, I still would have had to go to New Hampshire. They have everything in now, but the fog protectors aren't coming in until Monday, so I am just doing the paperwork in the morning, then picking it up in the evening. I was planning to borrow my mom's car for the weekend anyway for moving back and forth to avoid 160-240 highway miles in the first day.

My plan right now is to take back roads to get back to Franklin Monday evening, commute to work in it for the rest of the week, and then on Friday evening, after a holiday party, just drive. Drive, drive drive.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jamal posted:

no, there's nothing wrong with getting a used sti. They're really durable cars. Just do a compression and leak down check before buying it.

And, you know, actually look at the thing in person and turn it on to see if there is obvious knock.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am too lazy to resize photos. This is one of a series that I am going to composite, but I forgot my camera and laptop in my other apartment.

http://ytrewq.org/wrx/DSC_0050.JPG

Up to 150 miles on the car.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Car looks awesome dude :) Get some daylight snaps!

I am off next week along with my friend who is also into photography along with another friend who is also into photography.

However, by then, I will have the gaudy wheels I painted for winter with the red lip!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I finally have my desktop setup at my new place in Nashua. There is a great set of parking lots for snow fun about a half mile from where I live. I went the whole weekend of snow on the stock summer tires and got "stuck" twice. The first time, I got plowed into a parallel parking spot and had to go over a snow ridge the long way. The second time (coincidentally the last time I went out while it was still snowing) was at the end of Rt 3 S exit 1 ramp trying to go right. There was just a build up of snow and it took me a minute to get going after having stopped.

I got the snow tires put on the next day.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Higher than normal capacity just means that it will hold a little more oil that normal filters, so as long as you have it up to the proper lines on the dipstick, you're fine.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Finally a chance to test out my snow tires on the WRX. The snow is back (after our first two feet melted).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fantastipotamus posted:

It's the STi 6-speed, so it'll run lower RPM at highways too. I'm just below 3k rpm at 80mph, and my fiancee's Outback w/ the 5-speed is at 3500rpm at like 72 or so.

Also, the nav system, and 18" wheels are some of the other additions the Spec B has. Oh, and a moonroof, and the two-tone interior with the leather bits.

The '09s have a similar cruising gearing. I am just over 3000rpm at 80 in 5th gear. I think it borrows gearing from the Legacy GT, but I may be mistaken. My RS had the gearing you are referring to, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I love my new place. Here is a map with directions to get to the Nashua office park.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...033045&t=h&z=16

I had to bring someone home last night at 3AM since I am apparently the only one with a car capable of moving in a few inches of unplowed snow. We made a pitstop here since it is right there. By the time we decided we should actually hit the road, we both had a case of motion sickness.

I was a bit disappointed that it was dry pavement underneath the snow, because that's what gave us the motion sickness. Every time your tires would cross a path that you had previously made, you'd get a bit of grip and it made for a fairly jerky ride. The first time I was there, there was a layer of sheer ice under the snow and I was on summer tires. The second time the snow was a lot better (wet snow versus powder). This wasn't that great.

The area is very secluded, though, which is always nice for this sort of thing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bud Manstrong posted:

You don't think that, apart from the front, the concept looks like a mashup of design elements from other cars in the same segment? There's ugly and there's Subaru ugly. The Brat is Subaru ugly. The XT is Subaru ugly. The bugeye and airplane-snoot Imprezas, to a lesser degree, are Subaru ugly. They're unique. There's nothing that unique about this car except the front, which will undoubtedly be toned down for production. What we'll be left with is a generic midsize sedan that's much bigger, less cohesive looking and probably heavier than its much better looking generic midsize sedan predecessor. With a ghastly chrome strip.

I'm pretty sure I could build those cars (minus the XT) in photoshop by taking parts from other cars. In fact, I could probably do that for just about any car in existence. I like the look of this concept except for the chrome strip and the grille and both will be fixable. Not that I'm going to buy one.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fair enough, but can you tune the 2.5i (i.e. is there an AccessPort-like solution?) It seems the AccessPort-style stuff is all for WRXes and STIs and not for the naturally aspirated guys.

There might be OpenECU related software.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MMD3 posted:

:(

well, finally got it back and shifting feels a lot better so I'll count this as worth the wait. the service guy tried to coach me on the survey form I'll be getting form Saab though. He showed me what it would look like and was like... it doesn't matter how you answer these other questions, but these ones here effect my pay so if you could answer those "completely satisfied"...

uhh.

They did that to me when I bought my WRX. There is specifically a question asking you if you were coached on the answers. If you don't like them, answer honestly and then say that they did try to coach you on the answers, and then never take your car back there again.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

pissboy has banned me from posting pictures of my car dirty, but I also took the long way to get from my parking spot to another parking spot. It vaguely involved going out into the nearby office park, and down through some of the retail plazas (which were dead). All in all, it took about an hour to move from one parking spot to another.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The 2009 WRX is pretty well balanced to it's 5-speed gearing. I don't think I'd want a six speed just because it would be an extra shift. The 2001 RS I had could have used a sixth gear because highway cruising near 4000 RPM sucks.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

We Eat Pasta posted:

Doesn't the 2009 WRX cruise a little high in 5th gear?

Not compared to my RS. I am cruising at 3k at 80MPH. In my RS this was just shy of 4k.

The STI v. WRX arguement is all dependant on what you're looking for. Arguing which is better in a general sense seems kind of pointless to me.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Mr. Powers, you wanted a WRX so of course you're going to be happier with it. I for one prefer the 6 speed over the 5. Sure it's more shifting, but I like the control and feel it's nicer for cruising on the highway (imo).

Actually, I wanted an STi. I tried to get a deal on one for a price I was willing to pay for it, but it was no go. I'm not just trying to justify the WRX being better, either. I always thought the six speed would be this great thing to have, but that was when I was driving my RS which had sucky highway gearing. It works out so that I use second to get to the speed I want to be at quickly, third is for cruising fun roads, fourth is for standard back roads and other roads up to about 50, and fifth is for 50+ local roads and highways.

Gear Ratios:
WRX: 5 speed manual; 1st 3.166, 2nd 1.882, 3rd 1.296, 4th 0.972, 5th 0.738, final 3.900
STI: 6 speed manual 1st 3.636, 2nd 2.235, 3rd 1.521, 4th, 1.137,
5th 0.097, 6th 0.756, front final 3.9, rear final 3.545

I have no idea how having the two different final drives works, and I am going to assume that the 5th gear ratio for the STi is 0.971 like past years and not 0.097.

So, basically they have similar highway cruising gearing, and the WRX's might even be a little taller. It really just comes down to preference. I would rather have a smaller number of gears, assuming they have good coverage of the range of the engine, and they did a really good job with that in the WRX (not so much in the RS). From my test drive of the 08 STi, I just felt like there were tons of gears to have to shift through when driving the local roads. I was okay with that because that was before I had the WRX, which I thought was going to have the crappy highway gearing that the RS did.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Needs more explanation. How did everyone get to that side of the road?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you want what the '09 offers, the only way it makes any sense to buy an '08 instead is if you plan to mod the '09. You'll start off with a slightly worse baseline, but if you're just going to completely replace the engine and start doing turbo upgrades anyway, then the '09 only really gives you some nicer looks (slightly).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MMD3 posted:

I love how this is typical automotive photography for showing off a car, except the car is in a ditch. It's got the right angles, it just needs a mountain or an industrial building in the background instead of the other side of a ditch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If the Outbacks you are looking at have the same transmission as the 2001 model my parents have, you will have similar gearing to what I was complaining about in my RS. Your cruising RPMs at 80 will be fairly high and you'll wish you had another gear to shift into. I think the final drive on the Outback might be a bit taller, so it won't be quite as bad, but it will still be up there in the RPMs at that speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Disciple of Pain posted:

Like what are we talking about? As long as it will comfortably do that speed I don't mind higher RPMS. My GTI is a 3500 in 6th, which is very loud with the cat- back and Borla. I've gotten used to it.

Now if it is struggling to be at 80 then that is a problem, but 3.5-4k is not going to bother me unless someone thinks it is bad for the engine to cruise at that speed. Being in the powerband makes it easier to pass anyway. I've been in some car where you pretty much have to downshift to do anything on the highway because they cruise at like <2000rpm. I'd rather not have that.

Even being at 3.5-4k, you will have to downshift to pass if you are going 80. I am a bit biased because I had hardened engine mounts so the drone of the engine was ridiculously loud. It probably isn't that bad in the Outback. I haven't driven my parents' much.