Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've got a rebuilt 6 speed from a 08 spec.b leggy if you're near Tampa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I consider myself lucky to have paid MSRP for a new STI...lucky to even find one. Glad I have a buddy who works at a multi-brand dealer and gave me a heads up before it was even delivered to them.

Just put on a Q300 w/ catted DP, GS intercooler, boost controller, wideband, and pro-tune. Made 330ish on the dyno, and drives a whole lot better. Q300 is a little louder than I was expecting, but not obnoxious. I'm sure my neighbor doesn't like the first 30 seconds after cold start in the morning. Anyways, seems like a good start over the stock 260-270hp at the wheels.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alright is 400whp the practical limit for a stock STI RA block? ('21 STI)

I've been out of the loop for a while with turbo upgades so not sure what the new/best choices are right now. Not drag racing, so I don't want some oversized turbo that's just lag city. Car has full turbo back 3" exhaust right now and making 320whp with that and tune on 93.

Next round of upgrades will be intake, inlet, fuel pump, injectors, and maybe EL headers if budget allows. Goal is smooth power delivery, still suitable to DD but able to rip the back roads. Not sure if reaching that goal of about 400 is at the edge of the stock turbo capability, and what better turbo will be in it's happy zone.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I dunno, people in cities like autos for their GT type cars.

Maybe Subaru's "new" "Subaru Performance Transmission" doesn't explode?

I'd imagine they are separating the STI out from the WRX even more? GT vs Rally/Race? I think heads would roll if the next STI isn't offered with a 6 speed.

Majere fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 8, 2021

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Should I look into an air oil separator for my still-new STI?

Yes, a good one like the IAG Street series

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Every once in a while I think about getting an STI badge for my old Legacy wagon, just for lols. Then I don't.

get the OEM JDM one then =)

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/?id=16000

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

It's a '93 Legacy :v:

Sorry for your masochism. :suicide:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Going to be pulling the motor in my 08 Leggy. Hoping she just needs a new shortblock, seems to shoot oil straight out the tailpipes so I'm guessing a melted or broken piston at 190K miles.

Any specialty tools that I might want besides the cam sprocket wrenches for rebuilding? I've been watching a lot of videos on the process and read over the FSM for removal, doesn't seem too difficult to get it out. last motor I pulled was from a 4 cyl 92 camry to swap in a v6 when it spun a rod bearing after half a million miles.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lol that fuckin rear bumper. its like ALL the designers of the Asstek got together to just do the rear of the car. MORE ANGLES! MORE LEDGES!

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Are y'all busy beating on your cars instead of posting?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yeah. Pulling the engine out from my spec.b Leggy...gotta see why it's shooting oil out the exhaust! Normally I would say its just bonus corrosion protection, but the exhaust is stainless already.

I have a new STI type RA shortblock on order already :D and half a garage full of parts to resto the drat thing.

Pretty sure the old heads will fit...? just like legos they said.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i own every Bionicle posted:

What year? I might have some parts that will fit, if you need anything. Feel free to shoot a PM!

2008. What kinda stuff you got?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds good. Yeah, I've got the budget brake upgrade, the Powerstop unpainted 4/2 pot STI calipers from rock auto. Had a friend paint them up real nice in hyper blue, and I made the decals. People still want like $2000 for busted old poo poo calipers with stripped threads, stuck bleeders, and failing paint because they have BREM-BRO on the sides.

Pretty sure it already has 740/750 DW injectors from when I bought it years ago. I don't think I would need any larger for a vf52. Might be interested in the fuel rails and lines if mine are scuzzy.

My tuner wants to get rid of the TGV's on the legacy and the new STI, is that really worth it?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alright so it's something you'd do while you had all this apart, not take it all apart just to do this.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

AC on my 17 WRX has gone right as we enter into summer. :sigh: Anyone else have issues with theirs and know if there are any simple checks to make before taking it to a mechanic?

fuses first. then compressor operation like 'um excuse me' said. The small cans w/stop leak from the auto parts store work pretty good for a quick fix, if it indeed is a touch low on cold juice (not for completely discharged/open/giant leaks system, just adding a bit to bring the pressure up for the compressor to kick on). used one on my leggy years ago and still blows cold.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I'm real glad Subaru makes a master gasket kit for the EJ. REALLY wish they had a master hose and pipe kit for everything attached to the intake manifold. Every single hose is rotten and picking out every single hose from 3 or 4 different systems running along the topside sucks so much. I know I can use some regular rubber hose from the auto parts store for some of them, but subaru really went to town on custom bent hoses to keep them from kinking.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Seems every video and forum post on building/rebuilding an EJ gets to assembling the long block and then cuts to "ready to drop in". I guess they all say gently caress it and don't video or document the best way/order to put everything back on top of the motor?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks guys. Not my first rodeo replacing an engine, but first time Subaru. I know well enough to let the pros do the precision stuff. The rest is just nuts and bolts, c'mon. I have the FSM but,

rickiep00h posted:

"Installation is the reverse of removal." :v:

I know it's a big ol puzzle and i'll figure it out from my pics and parts diagrams just wondering if anyone has seen an actual guide or maybe a specific manual for the EJ255/57 by itself for reference.

Local shops wanted $8k+ to rebuild/replace. I've got about $4k in it now, between new shortblock, reman heads, gasket kits, performance bits and pieces here and there, plus a few hundo more for all the little special bent hoses and poo poo. Probably come in at what I would spend on a "low" mileage drop in job from jspecauto.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i own every Bionicle posted:

Not really because there are a ton of differences between different versions of those engines. EJ257 just means that it’s a 2.5 liter motor in a STI, and EJ255 is a 2.5 liter turbo motor in something else. Some EJ257’s got sidefeed injectors, some are topfeed. Some have dual AVCS, some are intake only. A Forester XT, Legacy GT, or 06-14 WRX all have an EJ255 but they have different turbos, intake manifolds, injectors, fuel lines, air pumps, up pipes, etc. Yeah you can use a type RA shortblock in any of them, but in the grand scheme of things that’s not a lot of similarity. Even some of the engines have sodium filled valves and others have stainless, and require different clearances.

Well I'll just have rely on the FSM, a Haynes manual, and helpful internet forum posters then. :toot:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

My 08 spec.b legacy engine. 200k miles, suffered from low oil pressure that roasted the turbo and sounds like "a skellington jerking off in a metal garbage can" on startup. Otherwise the rest of the car is in great shape. I had the garage space and time to diy r&r to fix it up oem plus style.

If it was a regular gt i probably would have sold it to someone else to fix, but since its somewhat rare and in good shape otherwise i figured it would be a good project. I like that it's a parts bin wrx/sti car already so upgrading worn out parts like steering rack and brakes to oem sti stuff seems fitting. Nothing over the top power wise, she made about 300hp/350tq or so with a newer vf52 which is fine enough for me for commuting and travel cruising on the highway. Plus the seats are 10x as comfy as the seats in the new sti.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nice. Been finding things the last dealership to work on it said they did and fixed...like re-sealing the oil pan and removing screens in banjo bolts.

chucks of sealant packed into the pick up.

Me: "Can you check if there are screens in the banjo bolts?"
Them: "this model year did not have filters in the bolts" & "we removed all of them"

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone else waiting on a master gasket kit? Been like 3 months since I ordered it =( Dealer still says national back order.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

So anyone have a set of D25 single AVCS heads? Local cylinder head shop wants $800 each for rebuilds.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I'm no audiophile, but the HK system is decent from an OEM standpoint. I only listen to XM radio and the original Top Gun soundtrack CD and have no complaints. I'd wager any aftermarket system will be better. If you can find the whole system from a wreck or partout, great, it might be easier to install, but aftermarket is way more flexible. Starlink is awful, app implementation is embarrassing and downright useless.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Am I right to assume that LGT/WRX D25 heads (decked .005) on a new sti 257 shortblock will get around 8.66-8.7 compression ratio?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Risky posted:

What years are those from? Got a link to them?

I want to upgrade my stock brakes on my 2020 WRX but I'm wondering if the fronts will clear the factory 17" wheels or if I'll have to modify the dust shields for rotors.

Fronts are 04 sti, powerstop L3698 & L3699. Need same year rotors as well.

Rears are 06 wrx, needs adapter brackets for same years legacy, and rotors.

No idea if these will fit 2020.

I'm sure the consensus would be for you to upgrade your pads and rotors (and tires) first though as the stock calipers arent "bad" or "weak" or some poo poo.

Majere fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 11, 2022

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid question....are the left and right side cams different? Cams were packed separately with a new set of heads I got, and not labelled.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Subaru is going to be the alfa romeo of japan arent they?

Trying to remember the top gear episode where they had to describe an alfa or italian car without using the word "soul" or somesuch. Sure the car is built....ok...and it rattles all over, and the glove box door won't stay shut but theres just something about the s*** of a subie.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I’ve been putting it off but my 21 STi hit 5k miles recently, I still love it and I think I’m gonna go ahead and start working on getting an air oil separator on it.

Online says IAG is the way to go and I’m assuming I didn’t gunk up too much stuff in just 5k miles. Am I wrong on either?

Anytime is a good time for a real aos. 5k miles is still brand new.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Are dual clutch transmissions worser than cvts all things considered or are they just costly and therefore not used? Seems like a better choice for a sport sedan than a shitbox cvt...

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Because Subaru (Fuji heavy manufacturing) designed a CVT (with help from Jatco I think?) they can manufacture themselves and they’re going to put it in everything instead of paying someone else.

Yeah that makes sense then. I mean for the "low" amount of wrx's they sell they could have used a better automatic for those models. Seems there are at least half a dozen companies making dct's now.

If the new sti is going all electric or hybrid...that means cvt for fucks sake.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Start soaking those pinch bolts with penetrant now then.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Which bushing(s) makes left/right slop in a 6speed shifter? Is it the cross piece farthest away from the lever?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Jamal. Going back and forth between the new sti and the old legacy...nothing makes a car feel "worn" than a sloppy shifter. Up/down is pretty solid, but in gear, there's a lot of left/right wiggle

The leggy is a spec.b so it has essentially the same 6speed, and pretty sure it has the factory sti short throw in there already.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I think the extra plug is there for dual pumps, like if ya got a wagon with a rear washer. I know my legacy sedan has 2 plugs (one red, one black) there, but only 1 pump.

Also, I need to do the oem fogs on my STI, there's a good write up on iwsti. Seems most all of the wiring is already in the cabin, just need to put a relay in the junction box behind the glove box and run 2 wires from the fuse holder in the engine bay to the bumper. Using the JDM bezels with fog holes and DRL/sequential blinkers, and the headlight stalk from a Forester which has a foglight switch on it. I already installed the stalk, and the little foglight light lights up on the dash even w/o the relay or lights in so thats a good sign!

Why does subaru do dumb things like not having fog lights/driving lights on the highest trim? All the poo poo is in the same harness you put in every car anyway, wtf.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

If its anything like the legacy, the wires in the hinge are frayed/broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Every rally I see on youtube now is all hyundai.