Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is this a bad idea? How much does poo poo tend to fall apart on these after 200,000?

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4382529583.html

Edit for when this expires: 2005 Outback XT, 5-speed, 198K, $3900

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Regarding the Outback XT:

If the banjo bolt filters are still in there, any significant or chronic deviance from the oil change regimen with conventional oil will result in grenading the turbo and starving the engine of oil.

Get a compression and leakdown test done.

Thanks. I am really looking for a WRX wagon and will save for a while until I can afford what I want at lower miles but this caught my eye.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhgMEi5aqmY

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2000 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 141K. I am getting a whirring noise that sounds like it is coming from the back of the car at speeds above ~20 mph. It sounds a lot like tire noise from big blocky offroad tires. It does not change with load; putting in the clutch or pulsing the throttle has no effect. I am thinking wheel bearing? It just doesn't sound like any bad wheel bearing I have heard before, those usually go womwomwom and this is like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Yakattak posted:

Sounds like my transfer case/center diff bearing destruction. Can you get under the car while it's going with a stethoscope?

:smith:

I could probably put it up on jackstands and do that. What should I listen for? The same noise coming from the transfer case?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

8ender posted:

I'm dealing with a wheel bearing that got smoked by a pothole on my Audi right now and it sounds just like that.

Hit some on and off ramps at speed to see if it gets louder and quieter with turning.

I found that while hooning hard to the right the noise gets quite a bit quieter, so it must be a wheel bearing. Thanks! Glad it's not the center diff.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think just bulbs. They have just gotten dangerously dim, I didn't realize how bad they were until I had to go up into the mountains a couple nights ago.

It sounds like they are glazed over, my Legacy needs them buffed about once a year. You can get a kit from any auto parts store that has sandpaper and a compound in it...you wet sand the glaze away and then use the compound to buff it out. It makes a huge difference.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 10, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Greetings sisters,

I looked at a 2004 WRX wagon today. It's very low mileage (~76,000) and the body is in great shape and the price is very good. However, there were a few things that seemed like red flags to me, and I'd love a little bit of input before I pull the trigger. At the price I don't mind putting a bit of money into it to fix stuff, but if it's been modified I want to run away. Unfortunately this is the first WRX I've driven so I wasn't totally prepared for what to expect. If it makes any difference, I am currently driving a 2000 Liberty.

-Rough idle. The throttle response is fine and it's smooth at speed, but the idle is very rough and shaky.
-Low beams don't work...when you are out of high beam, the lights shut off. Not sure if this is something stupid or a disaster.

Here are the things that I don't know if they are normal or red flags:
-The ride is very stiff. Not like bump stops stiff, but stiffer than any other Impreza I've been in.
-It seems a bit lower than normal. I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me because of the side skirts and the snow.
-There is some clunking from the back when going over bumps which is surprising for the low mileage. Combined with the stiff ride and the stance, I was concerned that it might have been lowered.
-The clutch is very stiff and short compared to most other things I have driven. It was very drivable and I don't mind it at all, but I don't know if the stock one feels like that. An aftermarket clutch seems like a red flag to me.
-The shifter throw is also very short and tight, which I liked, but I'm not sure if it's that's normal at all or a red flag.

Unfortunately I could only drive it in the snow so I couldn't get a feel for the handling or the power.

Picture for reference:

This thing won't last long; someone else is probably going to buy it tomorrow morning unless I can snatch it up. Any input I could get would be awesome.

Edit: goddamn tables

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for the advice guys.

WRT to my other questions: is it normal to have the really short and stiff clutch? Does it seem like it has been lowered to other people as well?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for the advice on the WRX guys. If it was still for sale today, I would have lowballed the guy for it a bit, then fixed it for a while until spring and made it my DD. As it turns out, somebody else bought it, so I'll keep looking or wait until I can buy a new one (if they ever make a WRX hatch again).

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I'm going to look at this tonight:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4911066784.html

I see the red flags (exhaust, boost gauge, younger owner) but it's an 07 and the price is very good. I have a somewhat reliable daily and a place to do some work on it (small repairs and likely different exhaust).

Is there anything in particular I should look for?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

nm posted:

Do a leak down. A compression test is not a leak down. Ringland failure can be hidden. The car can run fine and even have OK compression.
Find out what kind of tune is on it.

Awesome, thanks.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I looked at this today:

http://www.aeromotorcars.com/2007_Subaru_Forester_Norwell_MA_253725137.veh

It's below book value and the seller knows what it is and is not flexible on price at all, which is fair.

There was some road and wind noise, the brake pedal felt soft and stopping power in general wasn't great. Is that normal? Besides that I loved the way it drove, good power and it handled well for a CUV.

It has just had head gaskets and valve guides done, coolant lines all replaced, and turbo checked (CARFAX says it's been checked, dealer said it was replaced). All other maintenance is up to date for the mileage (timing belt, etc).

Is it totally stupid to buy this without a compression and leakdown test performed, or is that something that's only a necessity for a tuned car or for years prone to lovely factory tunes? I am a bit worried that the headgaskets and turbo maintenance were the PO throwing money at an oil use problem that could have been ringlands. I checked for other signs like oily gunk on the tail pipe (there was some black exhaust soot only) and smoke coming out of oil filler after driving it and didn't see anything.

I know the mileage is high and I don't mind putting some money into it to keep it running well and have the car I want.

Comedy option:

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4996797918.html

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for the info guys, I was wondering why there was so much wind noise on my Legacy. Any opinions on the leakdown test on the Forester?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The issues are minimal on those things. You want to keep up on oil changes, because they spray small amounts of oil on the timing chain to keep it lubricated. There are no head gasket problems like the 2.5s, though. I remember one semi-common problem, but I can't remember what it was, somebody else might be able to fill in for me. I remember it being outside of the engine though, so it doesn't require tear-down like the head gaskets on the 2.5. I was planning on getting one, and might still at some point, when I'm looking for a new car. I haven't ridden in one, so the AC might be completely different, but my AC is great in my '99 Outback Sport. We don't get 110 days like Houston does, but it can make me uncomfortably cool when it's 90 out. And that's after going on 6 years of owning it with no recharge, and I have no idea how long it was since the PO recharged it. Just make sure to have it on recirculate, obviously.

My mom has one of those and the engine in it has been pretty drat rock solid. It has been somewhat plagued with weird electrical bullshit though...locks not working, lights staying on, etc. It has gone through some rear suspension bits and also gone through brakes quickly. It hasn't been anything heartbraking, but not a perfect car.

As far as I can remember, timing chains and timing chain guides can be compromised if the oil is not kept fresh and topped off, so keep up with that. Also, gas mileage is going to kind of suck with it. It's a big engine in a big wagon with an automatic.

It's a great feeling engine though. Torquey and just silky electric smooth. It makes the 2.5 feel like a tractor.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 14, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

si posted:

As someone with a 2009 spec.B with a bad bearing sitting in the garage, I concur.

05 LGT Wagon in the shop, having the heads/valves done. Oh well, I got it cheap enough that I can put some money into it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's still a WRX. I think you're lowballing yourself by a wide margin by aiming for $5k, regardless of the condition. Take a look at what others are asking near you on Craigslist, eBay, etc.

The auto probably really hurts the price but I think you are right based on everything I have seen. I worked at a place right next to a guy who sold specialty used cars and talked with him about used WRX prices all the time...he said that any running WRX, no matter how hosed up, will always bring at least $5,000.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So I am at a bit of a crossroads with my 05 LGT wagon with 130,000. I bought it for a song due to a misfire and took a chance on it, as it did not use oil and had no oil in the exhaust, I guessed that the ring lands were OK. It turned out they were and it needed a valve job (after trying injectors, coils, and plugs). With that done, the car is now running pretty well and I really enjoy it. However, it has a KN typhoon stupid rear end intake on it. It sounds nice but since the car isn't tuned for it it stumbles sometimes on acceleration. I'm concerned that the PO put the intake on, ran it for a while and it was lean, and that burnt the valve.

Now, I'm looking for suggestions on where to go from here. Should I just get a stock intake and be done with it? I didn't see Cobb maps anywhere for this intake, so would I be wasting my time getting an accessport and trying OTS maps? Should I go hog wild and get a different intake, AP, and maybe a downpipe? Get an AP and have it pro tuned? Get a tactrix cable and have it pro tuned with that? I do plan on getting a vf46 for improved reliability (the vf40 has had the filter removed). I'd also like a

What I'm looking for is a somewhat reliable DD that is fun and a little quicker than stock, if possible. Not planning on doing track or autocross, just the occasional blast on an on-ramp and some backroads fun.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
If super glue doesn't work:

Left hand drill bit

Or

JB weld a cheap rear end screwdriver on, let it cure, back the ho out

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Guinness posted:

Hey Subaru thread, what's the lowdown on the EZ30? Generally pretty bulletproof?

I keep thinking about shaking up my garage and one of the vehicles I'd like to end up with is a utility vehicle for camping/skiing/etc here in the PNW, so obviously Subarus are top contenders. The fourth gen Outback 3.0R in particular looks to fit the needs and price range I'm looking at and is the last gen before the Outback bloated really heavily (at least visually). If I'm willing to relent on a manual transmission, the EZ30 looks like it packs a whole lot more punch than the EJ25. And maybe fewer problems than the EJ25?

I know that an Outback is a far cry from a driver's car, especially with an auto, but does the H6 at least help the situation a bit? On paper it seems like it'd be a pretty comfy utility car with enough oomph to not feel slow as balls. Am I off base? And is the auto trans a ticking time bomb, or generally solid?

My mom has an 04 Outback with the EZ30 and it's a cool engine. They are generally very reliable but not keeping up with oil changes will gently caress up the timing chain tensioner. Other people complain about the belt tensioner as well (hers went too) but that's pretty minor.

Don't expect great mileage on it but it has good power and is silky smooth. Very nice engine.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

magnificent7 posted:

Forester woes

Yes, head gaskets are a common problem on that car. Read the OP for full details. Really, read the OP.

An oil leak from the filter is not inconceivable but super easy to fix if it's the case. A head gasket probably won't cause an oil leak like that but it could certainly cause a coolant leak. Another likely cause of an oil leak is the valve cover gaskets...are you sure they didn't say that? That's a much easier fix than head gaskets.

Unless the car is super rare (it's not a manual turbo right?) or in stellar mechanical/cosmetic shape with no rust otherwise then putting 4 grand into a 12 year old car with 200k on it sounds like a bad idea. Honestly buying one of those used in great condition with that mileage around here should be about 3-4k tops.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Someone posted that lawsuit on a Subaru facebook page I am part of and the response was generally "people should know how to check their oil! If you can't check your oil you shouldn't own a car! :mad:"

I think they said that consumption of less than 1 qt per 1000 miles was normal. gently caress that, on brand new a commuter car in 2016 that's unacceptable.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Huh, It didn't occur to me that it could be caused or exacerbated by the thin oil.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Larrymer posted:

Subaru nutters will pay top dollar for your car. I'd guess around 8-10k easily. I'd probably start it at 12k and see what offers you get.

That seems very realistic to me. I was looking for a manual WRX wagon, FXT, or LGT wagon a while back and searched for about 6 months. A good FXT with a manual with less than 130,000 would bring at least 9k all day long. I test drove an 07 with 135 and wound up passing on it, but the seller would not budge from 10k.

Post some pictures of it all cleaned up on CL and tumescent weirdos like me will flock to it from all over the place with cash in hand.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Your choices for fun, new, AWD cars with three pedals and some room are:

1. Overpriced 2014 WRX
2. Golf R
3. Focus RS
4. Convince yourself that you don't need a hatch like other posters are suggesting. Maybe find new hobbies that don't require a roomy car. Or cut off your balls and buy a minivan or crossover

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Because they can't keep what they make in stock so why would they give a gently caress

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Regarding EJ255 legacy chat:

I currently have a 2005 LGT wagon that I love. It's at 140,000 and the body and interior are in great shape. I bought it for a song at 130,000 due to a burnt exhaust valve. I had that fixed, they said the pistons and cylinder walls looked great. Not sure how much I believe that but :shrug:

As far as I can tell it is still on the original VF40 turbo which everybody says should have blown up by now.

In order to prevent turbo failure I'd like to either replace the original turbo or have it rebuilt. Does anybody have experience with having one rebuilt, and if so, can you recommend somewhere I can send it?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

McSpatula posted:

Have you inspected the turbo for wear/play? Unfortunately those RHF5 turbos weren't really designed to be rebuilt, so the few specialty shops that you find with the capabilities are going to charge $texas to have the service done. I would consider having it replaced, but if you can't find one, try sixstarspeed as they've been rebuilding similar turbos for years.

Thank you very much, exactly the info I was looking for.

I haven't yet inspected it. I'm just looking for radial movement in the turbo shaft right?

It sounds like if I want to do something about it, my options are:

Have it rebuilt at 6SS for ~500
Find a used one for ~500
Buy a new one for ~1200
Buy a rebuilt EBay special for ~350 (not gonna do that)

It looks like the rebuild option is the way to go even though it's more involved than a rebuild on a different turbo that was designed for that. I get basically a new turbo for the cost of a used one without having to spend weeks hunting one down.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think that it's because they often rust to poo poo before they fail catastrophically, or at least EJ22 engined cars did, which made them seem unkillable, despite the fact that other brands with similar miles and years on them probably would have had similar repair costs at best without the rust.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Hey lesbians. Thank you for your previous sisterhood and support in pointing me in the right direction for a rebuild for the VF40 in my LG(B)T. I'm in the process of pulling it right now and it's about ready to come out (very proud of her atm) but the only thing I haven't gotten disconnected is the oil return line. How the hell do I get to it? Is it just a slip fit, can I just yank the turbo up and it will pop off, or do I need to disconnect it with more precision and subtlety?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
My attempts to contact 6starspeed have been unsuccessful. I went through NASIOC and found a few reports about six months ago of people never getting their turbos back and/or not hearing anything a few months after sending them in, so they are off the table now. I can't find any good reports of other rebuild places. Does anyone have any experience with Midwest turbo connection, xboost, or PRE for turbo rebuilds? Am I wasting my time trying to have this done? Should I just pony up for a new VF40/46 or get a VF52?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

jamal posted:

A friend of mine does rebuilds- company is called socal porting. Think his turnaround is fairly quick and he seems to do a good job.

Thanks! I'll get in contact with them. Looks like what I need and a referral from you is appreciated.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Got my VF-40 rebuilt, ported, polished, and ceramic coated by SoCal porting. Thanks for the recommendation jamal!

The plan is now to put it back on my legacy with a downpipe and tune. What is a good downpipe to run, and do I need bigger injectors and fuel pump? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a reliable and fun upgrade over stock power with the stock turbo. Any good recommendations for an open source e-tuner?

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2016

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

jamal posted:

I'd at least do a fuel pump, they're cheap and easy. And then invidia makes a good and reasonably priced downpipe, plus it has a 3" outlet if you end up getting a catback later on.

Is the Deatschwerks a good choice, and can I get that and the Invidia DP from you?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

jamal posted:

Yeah the 65c, which just clips into the stock housing. When the LGT, and then 08 wrx/sti came out, installing fuel pumps was a huge pain in the rear end. Will send you a pm.

And it is possible you're going to max out the stock injectors, but I don't think there will be much left on top of that, and unless you are planning to have an e85 tune or buying a bigger turbo I would probably just leave them.

Thanks! I'll plan on keeping the stock injectors and upgrading them later if need be, it is easy enough (though I do need to replace the o rings, one is leaking :kingsley: )

I'll look for your PM

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. I'm in sort of a rush. I should say I don't know if my pricing was too much yet it's only been up for a few hours. I was just shocked to see how low kbb estimated it and I don't want to screw myself by pricing too high. At the same time I'm hesitant to try and get rid of it for 1200 because that seems really low and I don't see any 2000 legacys going for nearly that cheap online that aren't completely trashed.

I'd expect that a less than twenty year old Subaru in good running condition with nothing obviously wrong with it that's not rusty as hell would bring at least two grand.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

the trump tutelage posted:

Anything to watch out for with 2008 Subaru Outback's in general?

I'm eyeing an '08 Outback Limited with 160,000km and the price seems a little on the too-good side (that or the prices in the GTA are inflated).

Look for rust around the wheel wells, and that's an engine that's prone to headgasket failure. So see if that's been changed but if the price is low it probably hasn't. Check out the coolant and oil for milkiness and see if there are coolant leaks anywhere as well (which will also be signs of a failing headgasket as the system will be over pressurized.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the car is due for a timing belt change in another 9,000 km, which is not a super cheap job, so that will also bring the price down a little bit.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The best snow vehicle is a Subaru of low book value with excellent snow tires on the front and passable snow tires on the rear

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So my LGT has lost compression (60 psi) in cylinder 3 15,000 miles after a head rebuild for a burnt exhaust valve in the same cylinder. I am tingling with anticipation imagining whether the machine shop hosed up or it's pistons. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

tater_salad posted:

Question for all the flannel wearers.
My parents have a 2014ish era Forrester with the 2.5. They drive it a lot and one day noticed that the oil light was going on and off while driving, oil checked and they were a quart low..

Is this typical consumption, 1qt between oil changes.

That's considered normal by Subaru. They consider consumption under a quart per 1000 miles acceptable.

How does the oil light work? Is it a level sensor, or is it the oil pressure warning light? If it's oil pressure, then that's definitely something to worry about.