Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

si posted:

Way too much money. You can get a new set for around that. These are not items that retain value well in the second hand market. You don't want someone's rusty bars and worn bushings.

Edit: Worth asking, what's your actual goals? I'm personally not a fan of the Cobb bars having had them on my old Legacy and had one snap after 2 years. I was better than most and greased them properly twice a year, too. Most people grease them once and leave them to die. I wouldn't do a front bar at all unless you've got a plan in mind that needs an aftermarket one - I generally think the stock in front is sufficient and maybe at worst needs a bit of a larger rear. I thought the 09 WRX handled pretty well as it came though.

From what I could find new sets were around $500. My wife has a 2004 wrx wagon, I have stated before, but I would like the 09 hatch to handle more like the 04. I guess I would like less body roll, a smarter feel to the way the car corners. I am open to other options, I just was told that sway bars were the best bang for the buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks again thread for giving me more to chew on. Tires and pressures seem like a good place to start. FWIW, car is just a commuter, no track plans or anything.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Sockington posted:

For what it's worth, I never touched the sway bars in my 2006 Impreza wagon and everyone who has driven it has never complained. Koni yellows, STI springs, Com-C upper mounts, ALK, and a decent alignment with some camber.

On the exact same winter tires as last year (probably worse this year since wear and all that), the car handles hands down better in any weather. It used to understeer like a pig in winter and now I can hang my rear end out with a good boot of throttle on the slippery stuff.

In other words, thanks Jamal :allears:

My wife and I have an 04 and an 09, as of now both are stock suspension. There is a complete difference in the way the two handle. I imagine that your 06 is more similar to an 04 than a 09, or at least was until you made the changes you mention. My only goal is to make the 09 handle more like the 04. As someone already suggested, I will mess with tire pressures and maybe an alignment before making any other changes. The tires are some generic all seasons on the 09, I'd imagine that some better tires will help a lot as well, but as they are only a little over a year old, I don't want to change them yet.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
What's a fair price on a 2001 forester engine and auto transmission? Engine has at least a blown head gasket and 155k, but runs/ran when removed. I am kind of dabbling with the idea of learning to do more involved stuff with cars and wanted an engine I could practice on that does not take me to work. Is replacing head gaskets a good starter project?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Farking Bastage posted:

Yakima makes good stuff. I got the OEM bars off ebay for 160 bucks and these yakima cradles for 99. Dealership wanted 500 bucks for the same setup.

That isn't salt water, is it?:ohdear:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Fudgesicko posted:

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a fuel reading issue I'm having in my 2013 STi. My gas tank was reading around 1/4 filled last night, so I filled it up at the gas station, it took about 9 gallons. This morning, I started the car up, let it idle for a bit before I drove off and noticed that the fuel gauge needle kept on falling. It finally settled at the first notch under Full, than seemed to fall normally after that. Does anyone know if this is a freak incidence or should I take it in for service?

If it is under warranty, I don't see why you would not take it in, since if there is an issue, they will fix it, assuming your still under the milage limit.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

04 WRX wagon here. I seem to have developed some negative camber on the driver side rear wheel. From what I can tell, this is not adjustable but there are tweaks to adjust it, does that sound right? What could cause this on one side? Bad spring/shock or worn bushing or something? Car is pretty much stock at 97K.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 26, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I replaced a seriously worn strut that did the same thing on my 03 Impreza wagon. Pick up some KYBs from RockAuto or Amazon.

Is is probably best to go and get 4 new ones, or replace just the one. I am thinking as I want to keep the car as long as possible, do all 4?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Four it is. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Well I ordered 4 new struts from rock auto for my 04 wagon. I got the KYB GR2 ones. I am gonna try to tackle this on my own. Other than a spring tool, is there any weird tool I will need to procure? Is there anything other than the strut itself I should look at replacing? From what I can tell from the service manual, it is pretty simple. The car is 10 years old though, and I have no doubt some fasteners will be a bitch. I am also planning on reusing the springs unless that is a bad idea...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sounds doable. I have an impact, and my dad has a torque wrench, and I was planning on the advanced auto rental for the spring tool. Let's just hope the rust is not too bad. Thanks again thread!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

InitialDave posted:

The only thing I'd recommend that isn't "normal" for a toolkit is if you have a hollow "vortex" socket set, so you can get a hex key down the inside to hold the strut still while you undo the main top nut. It's a good excuse to buy one.

Rears:
- Get the car up in the air with the wheel off, you should be faced with this. No, the jack is not holding the car, it's on stands (and the wheels are under it).

- Unclip the brake hose union from the bottom of the strut. They're a bit of a bugger when they're rusted - pulling from the top will probably result in skinned knuckles, I drift them out (hit the clip, not the hose union!) from underneath.

- On my saloon, the top mount was behind the rear seat, I don't know whether you have to remove the seat on an estate. Three nuts on top, with a pressed-steel cover sandwiched in there also.

- Bottom bolts are positioned a bit awkwardly for getting a socket onto them, but it's not exactly rocket science. Actually, rocket science isn't really rocket science. Brain surgery, that's rocket science.

- Top nut being undone to release the spring. See what I mean about the hollow socket? I found there was no need for spring compressors on the rear, but I did use them on the fronts.

Fronts:
- Very little difference, except you have a small bolt holding the ABS sensor cable onto the front of the strut bottom.

- And another bolt holds the brake hose on the rear, rather than it being a clip. The upper of the main strut bolts are the eccentric ones for camber adjustment.

Tips:
- Douse everything with penetrant a couple of days before doing it.
- Wire-brush the worst of the rust off the threads, but also off the heads of the lower strut bolts on the front - the eccentric one has markings on it to help you clock it to a given angle, as has already been said, highlight it with a pen or something (Tippex works really well).
- Your new struts may not have the rubber seat liners for the springs to sit on, so grab your old struts' ones if necessary.

There's no reason not to re-use the springs, unless you were considering new ones anyway or they're damaged. Wipe all the road grime off and you will find coloured paint blotches on them, which tells you (or more accurately, the nerdier people in this thread) exactly what they are.

This is fantastic. Thank you!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Well the best lessons are learned in blood or some other valuable commodity.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Slow is Fast posted:

Other things to note, you can get away with using an impact socket and vice grips with a hex wrench instead of a capless socket like pictured above.

Get a lady foot pry bar to stake your struts.

Jam that in one of the holes. The taper will help you get the pry bar in even if you aren't even close. Send the pry bar in then pivot the knuckle on the pry bar to match up the opposite hole, I pin the lower and bolt the top. Then you can drop the pry bar out and pivot the knuckle on the top bolt and easily send the bottom bolt in. Saves a mess of time. Putting lift struts on my friends GC would have been impossible without them.

I watched some videos, this was advised to prevent going nuts getting them to line up.

I'll let the thread know how it goes when I find the time to make this happen. Two working parents and a 6 month old make it tough to get time to even fix the car.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Well I ordered 4 new struts from rock auto for my 04 wagon. I got the KYB GR2 ones. I am gonna try to tackle this on my own. Other than a spring tool, is there any weird tool I will need to procure? Is there anything other than the strut itself I should look at replacing? From what I can tell from the service manual, it is pretty simple. The car is 10 years old though, and I have no doubt some fasteners will be a bitch. I am also planning on reusing the springs unless that is a bad idea...

Rock auto does not gently caress around. Basic shipping and 4 struts are delivered in 28 hrs. Must be a local warehouse.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

defiantgiant posted:

So, I'm a flannel-wearing New England-living possibly-soon-to-be Subaru owner. I had an '04 Forester XT for several years and loved the poo poo out of it, and tomorrow I'm going to look at an '04 WRX wagon. It looks pretty good so far: all stock, appears essentially rust-free, 117,000 miles, water pump and timing belt done at 100k, and the head gasket was done at some point (which is strange, since I didn't think the 2-liters were known for head gasket problems.)

Is there anything particular that goes wrong with the 02-05 WRX, apart from the usual used-car things to check for? I've wanted one of these ever since they came out, so I'm trying to stay realistic and make sure I check all the boxes.

People tell me the uppipe cat can fail on the 02-04 or 05s and murder the turbo. People tend to swap in a catless uppipe at some point.

In other news, I have swapped out my rear struts. I was amazed that I got the bolts out with just some PB and some grunting after 10 years. Tomorrow morning, the fronts! Monday, an alignment.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 1, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I got all 4 new struts on my 04 wrx wagon. It was pretty straightforward. My impact helped a lot getting the old struts off the springs. I had some issues figuring out if the spring compressors I borrowed were compressing the spring enough to let me remove the tophat. I got it all off, no issues in the end though.
I still have the same negative camber on the rears though, with the left wheel much more than the right. I know some negative is correct, but at this point I am hoping the guy doing my alignment on monday will know a trick or two. At least the car should handle a little better now. Thanks thread for the help and advice.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Next project, timing belt replacement.
Is the Gates TCK328 kit on amazon with the Gates 43513 water pump the standard people get for a 04 WRX?
My understanding is to get a proper gasket from the dealer for the pump, and use the rest of the Gates stuff, sound right?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Terrible Robot posted:

Don't forget to do the idler pulleys while you are in there, it's cheap insurance against your new timing belt being taken out by a bearing grenade like what happened to me (thanks, PO).

Yeah, the kit should come with pulleys and a new tensioner.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
How do you know if there is an oil cooler present? Order both and return the one you do not use?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

I just picked up a (used 2006 wrx OEM) uppipe as well, and was wondering if I need to keep on the heat shield or not? All the aftermarket ones like here seem to come sans heat shield. I don't want a fire or melted stuff under the hood.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Gates-TCKWP328-Timing-Belt-Kit-w-Water-Pump

Getting ready to attempt the timing belt on my 04 wrx. Is this the kit I need? I looked under the car as instructed in this thread and saw three hoses all about the same size going into the water pump. Two on one side, and one one the other. I searched for the same kit by part number on amazon, but their pic has only two fittings on the water pump pic. The price on the one in this link is like $100 higher, so I would rather go with amazon if I can, but I don't want to be elbow deep in the job and find out I have the wrong part.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
At least you know who did it and hopefully their insurance will be taking care of it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am about to attempt the timing belt and water pump jon on my 04 wrx. I have new Subaru Coolant, a Subaru water pump gasket, and the Gates kit on hand. Gonna have the wife park the car tonite, and after work tomorrow get started. I printed out the meatys guide off NASIOC and I not afraid to admit am more than a little nervous.

Any last words of wisdom from anyone? Do I use the gasket with any sealant or just dry?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So far so good on the timing belt swap. After work yesterday I got everything off ok, swapped out all the idlers and got off the old water pump. I did not think to get a thermostat, so today I got one, and checked it in a pot of water at about 175-180F it opened up so I guess it is ok. When I install it, do I need to use sealant on it, or just the housing/coolant line bit with the two bolts? After the thermostat, it's install the new belt and put it all back together. Thanks SA so far for the help and advice.

The only part I broke so far was one of the air intake bolts. It sheared off with just a screwdriver. Oh well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Well I finished my timing belt job on my wifes 2004 wrx wagon. Water pump gave me some trouble with the hose clamps and I had to go get a thermostat. The gates kit came with a red plastic timing belt guide spacer gauge which was helpful with the timing guides, especially the ones on the bottom. Getting the belt on alone was a little frustrating and counting teeth and checking the timing alignment marks with a dental mirror was interesting. The video of someone (Jamal maybe) doing the install in a minute or so gave me some inspiration. Everything went back together fine and I torqued all the fasteners to the indicated specs. Added coolant with no issues and went for a drive. Car got to temp and stayed there, car ran well with no scary noises either. I will drive it tomorrow to be sure no leaks show up and strand the wife on her commute. Anyway, thanks thread for the motivation and guidance to help make it happen. I saved myself a bunch of cash doing it at home.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Thorpe posted:

I've done a few things to my car in the past week and would like to catalog them here, mostly for shits and giggles. Also because forums like NASIOC scare me.

First thing was I switched out the stock radio for the premium forester one with 4.5" LCD screen. This does improve sound quality somewhat, it's still no audiophile system but I feel like it performs at a very adequate level for a stock radio, and I don't see myself changing anything audio wise from here on out.

It's awesome to have all the song information available to me. No rewiring necessary, all steering wheel controls and bluetooth all work as stock. Plus it looks pretty nice.

you can load a screensaver off of a USB stick, I just found a subaru logo on google and cropped it. It's nice to have that while driving at night.

Sorry to go back here, but what year head unit is this? What year wrx? I have a 2009 wrx and I would love to swap out the base head unit for one like this. I see on ebay lots of 2012 units. Anyone know if they are cross compatible or where I could find out what is?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Guys some people have longer torsos or legs than others, so just cause you have the same overall height, you may still have issues with head clearance or leg room.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am pretty sure it has been asked, but here we go again...
My 04 WRX just had the front right CV axle boot tear and fling nasty grease all over the engine bay. It stinks nice and good and I assume the normal course of action is a new CV axle assembly. Is there a preferred brand I should get other than whatever rockauto tells me? OEM? Jamal?

Also, I am gonna guess that if I do one/get one done, I should probably do the other while I am at it as the car is at around 101K miles.

How hard is this for a novice/intermediate DIY guy? Any special tools other than jack stands and hand tools? I did the timing belt and struts on my own FWIW.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks for the replies guys. This car is certainly giving me a good education on diy repairs these last few years.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

04 WRX should have a pinned axle with stub shafts coming out of the tranny.

I prefer Cardone Select if you can get it. They're new axles, they come with a nut, they come with a pin, and they look pretty much the same as the OEM axles. RockAuto has 'em.

I wouldn't bother doing the other side until it actually does fail. Check out your ball joints and the condition of the other axle before you do your order, of course.

You can reboot the axle unless a lot of poo poo has gotten into the joint, but replacement might be easier. I would pull and replace and then see if the old axle can be rebooted and kept on hand as a spare. Replacement should take about an hour if you have the right punch and a 32mm axle socket.

Strongly recommend an impact as doing it with a breaker bar means you have to pop the centre cap on the wheel and do it on the ground, which is a pain in the rear end. Hardest part otherwise is lining the splines up so you can get the pin in when you're putting the axle back on the tranny.

I usually mark the strut bolts and then unbolt the strut in order to get the upright out far enough to be able to slip the axle into the hub. If you do this you need a torque wrench that hits the strut bolt torque spec (133 ft-lb if memory serves) which not all do. Axle nut torque is 137lb, then stake the nut.

I ordered one like you mentioned. I took a look today and both inner boots are shot, so I then ordered a second axle. I started taking off the old one and saw no pin at the transmission side. I gently pried out the cv axle and now I am looking into the transmission. Did I mess up something or are the older CV axles male on both ends? I see no pins to drift out anywhere. Anyway, it's out and nothing else has broken so far. As my wife is having her first root canal today I expect it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can move ahead any further.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Oh, my bad. Apparently an 04 WRX is male on both ends and therefore not pinned. You're splined with a circlip.

The older front axles are pinned, and then at some point in 2004 they made a mid-year transition for the STI, but I thought the WRX stayed pinned until 05.

In that case you should just be able to tug it out and drop the fresh one in like blk did with his Saabaru.

Is the new axle pinned or splined? It might be worth checking to make sure, as it sounds like the 04 WRX might have the same mid-year transition.

edit: RockAuto has multiple parts for an 04 WRX front axle - pinned ("before 9/03") and splined ("from 9/03") for both wagon and sedan, from what seems to be all the major brands. Which ones did you order? Sorry if you got the wrong ones because of me :(

The rockauto one was after 9/03 in the description and the image showed it male/male so with luck I am ok. I went to autozone and looked at what they said I needed and it was with the pin, so a no go on that front. I also bought a boot rebuild locally, but I could only find an inner boot. It seems like just doing the inner is asking for trouble in a few months in or when the outer goes.

Then this guy showed up to judge my beginner repair skills.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Finally got the second CV axle from Rock Auto today and got it in with no real issues. I ended up removing the whole strut from the car as the pitman arm tool I bought off amazon was too small to gap the lca. With the strut out of the way the old cv axle came out of the diff with one good yank and the new one went in with a easy shove. Put all back together and drove around the block with some hard stops to reseat the brake pads and some full stop turns and whatnot. No leaks or anything and no noises so I guess this one was a win. I'll drive it to work tomorrow before giving it back to my wife just to be sure.

An impact wrench made this much easier, especially with the caliper bracket and strut bolts.

Totally unrelated, but the car has 101K on it and is still on the original clutch. I know at this point I can expect it to go at any time and I plan on having a shop do that work, but while they are at it, is having a catless uppipe installed a good idea while they are working on the clutch? I have a used subaru uppipe on hand already.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So another quick question on a 2004 wrx wagon with the Cobb Stage 1 map. I hope to get the stock catted uppipe swapped to a used subaru non catted uppipe soon. Do I need to be concerned about the stage 1 being compatable/safe for a car with only the stage 1 map? Anything else I should be concerned about?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
An update for anyone who cares:
I had the clutch serviced at a local shop, they do good service and I can walk there, but they are not the cheapest. Anyway, they put in a new clutch, flywheel, TOB and recommended a new rear main oil seal and something oil baffle related. Then they found the propeller shaft had bad U joints and replaced that. All told that cost "A lot of money"

Edit:

My mechanic was wrong. I just did some more research and took a good look and found that I do in fact have an uppipe with a temp sensor plugged in. So I guess I am back where I was when I started, but with a new clutch.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Latest Update, my 04 wrx wagon, 2 days after picking it up after having new clutch/flywheel propeller shaft, rear main seal, etc installed, and there is a puddle of transmission oil under the car. I take a look and I can actively see it dripping. After an hour I have a 6" diameter stain in the driveway. Now I am pissed, the car was being packed for a roadtrip with the family, leaving tomorrow and instead I have to take it back to the shop and wait for them to get back on monday and explain why it is leaking.

I do wonder if it could be related to my replacing both front CV axles, but that was 3 weeks ago and there was no leaks at all until I get the car back from the clutch service. Any ideas?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Slow is Fast posted:

There is a huge difference between leaking from the axle area and leaking from the tailshaft. A night and a piece of cardboard can diag that one. Either way, this is a "poo poo down the throat of whoever did the work" situation. You can continue to drive the car as long as you keep the fluids topped off.

Well I did the axles, but I paid someone to do the big work. Guess I'll see who has egg on their face. Either way, it is at the shop, I'll pass on when I hear something next week.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I know they put in new oil. Some googling suggests that overfilling can be problematic, but I don't know if that's the case cause I dropped off the car before thinking of checking the dip stick. They also put in a new cylinder, maybe that's the cause and it was fluid from there. I have a hard time telling the two apart as they both smell nasty to me.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Latest Update, my 04 wrx wagon, 2 days after picking it up after having new clutch/flywheel propeller shaft, rear main seal, etc installed, and there is a puddle of transmission oil under the car. I take a look and I can actively see it dripping. After an hour I have a 6" diameter stain in the driveway. Now I am pissed, the car was being packed for a roadtrip with the family, leaving tomorrow and instead I have to take it back to the shop and wait for them to get back on monday and explain why it is leaking.

I do wonder if it could be related to my replacing both front CV axles, but that was 3 weeks ago and there was no leaks at all until I get the car back from the clutch service. Any ideas?

Update again:

Got back in town today, got the car back as well. It was the axle seals that were leaking. The bill was around $300 to replace the seals but the shop covered it. I fully admit that I am a novice and I replaced the axles about 3 weeks previous which a search of this thread will show. I also did not replace the seals when I did so, but I also know that there was not a drop of leaking oil until the clutch was serviced and I am pretty sure they also had to remove the axles when they were working. I don't know, I guess they fixed it, and it may have been me. Kind of feel weirded out by the whole mess. At least the car seems to be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I don't have a multimeter and the old lady needs her car straightened out quick so she's gonna take it to the shop tonight and let them figure it out. I'm OK with that cause if it is just the bulbs they can deal with the upside down clusterfuck of having to put them in. If its something else, just as well because electrical gremlins suck rear end.

I feel your pain about PA roads. Goddamn gators everywhere. I have a few scars from those but not quite as bad as what you got. Its also dead deer season. Hitting a deer is bad enough. Plowing though a pile of putrid mashed up carcass isn't much better. I spend a good bit of my commute on I83 and I've seen dozens of shredded deer. That stink is rough if the guts get wrapped around something.

Might check the hand brake switch. The low beams cut off if the brake is on.