Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I hope this is ok, gonna be selling my 2009 WRX hatch. Probably be listing it in the next week, but if anyone is interested shoot me a pm. I am in the DC metro area. Still settling in on an asking price.
Red
Stock except Cobb Stage 1
About 78k
New tires in October 16

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

My buddy is in the process of selling his 05 wagon with 70k, very good shape and people are clawing at the bit to give him 14k for it.

This is a good data point. Last year I sold my 04 WRX wagon for $7400 and think I may have priced it low.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am just looking at TrueCar and Craigslist for 08-11 WRX hatch backs and holy poo poo these prices. Good buy for a car with 80k is like $16k.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Listed my 09 WRX hatch tonight. I am using TrueCar as a guide for price, but there are about 8 nationwide at my milage and trim so the sample size is small. At least I have the only red one for sale.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 16 WRX did this coming home from work, but it was that rare and scary combination of high speed and dense traffic.
https://imgur.com/a/lyrNU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The tools to replace the boot are like $40. My oem axel had no visible wear at 90k when the boot failed. Just fix is asap.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone know if an accessport needs to be uninstalled from a desktop PC as well as the car? I have it updated via the windows software and I am selling my car and it also mated to the car. I just don't want to find out there is some second DRM bullshit as well.

Edit: IF

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 25, 2017

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sooooo...my wife left our 13 month old's bottles full of milk on the passenger seat of her 16 WRX and knocked em over. 8+ ounces of whole milk soaked into the seat for about two hours. She took it to a local car wash where they shampooed the cushon and vacuumed it. Today it stank and it is not even warm out. What are the next options or potential solutions for this? New seat?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
How do I summon ozone in my WRX?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I had the passenger front inner CV boot split about 20k miles ago and just got away with re-booting it. It’s an original axle at 240k miles. I fortunately noticed it fairly quickly because it threw CV grease right on the exhaust and made a wonderful smell. Had to chisel it off with a flathead screwdriver.

Way cheaper and totally fine as long as it didn’t run totally dry or get water/dirt in it.

Yeah, the tool to crimp on the boot is worth the cost to keep your OEM unit. The boot and grease are like $10 or so. As said here, just do it promptly or you have to replace.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My wife's 2016 wrx had a dead battery on Saturday. Jumped it fine and it was dead again today. As in complete dead. Took it to the dealership and they did some sort of firmware update and told me the battery tested okay. Anyone else know of this update?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a question on an all around terrible situation. A close family friend suddenly died this week from a heart attack. While all the lovely consequences of that are falling into place his widow has asked to store his 2009 5MT wrx in our driveway. I have owned a 2009 wrx in the past so I am comfortable doing small stuff if needed. The registration and emissions are coming up this month so I am doing what I can to help by getting his car cleaned up, fluids topped and whatnot.

The oil is low, I have 5w30 but I don't know what he was running, so I am guessing I should do an oil change to be safe?

The gear oil in the transmission is also low, I am assuming it is probably stock and I have some gear oil too, is that safe to top up or should I also do a full gear oil service?

There was an old P071 code that I cleared, and I suspect it may be related to his airbox having a crack by the filter latch. I added some more tape for now but I guess a new housing would be best.

Anything else I should consider?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

um excuse me posted:

I don't know where you are, but in CT they can't pass you if you've recently cleared your ECU learning. Every manufacturer has a certain amount of miles they require before the learning is set again and it can be thousands of miles. You better start driving it if this applies to you.

Good point and I have Torque so if needed I can drive it and see when all conditions are met to pass emissions.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Appreciate the input. Bought oil and a filter today, will see if I still have any gear oil and do a look at the suspension this weekend.

Update: I have been tasked with selling the WRX, so I'll probably be back in here soon asking advice on that.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 16, 2020

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Changed the transmission and engine oil in my friends WRX. It was quite low on both. There was no washer on the transmission plug, and the area looked wet, so a new one hopefully fixed it.

There is a cold start whine from the front of the engine bay, Google says maybe power steering related.

Car seems to drive fine, pulls hard, but shifting is harder than I'd like. Even with new oil.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a 2016 WRX and it currently has some cheap steel wheels with snow tires on em. Can I have new tires put on the OEM wheels and still have the TPMS work properly if the car is not present at the time the tires are mounted? They are still mated to the car, but I don't know if they need to do anything to them when they swap out the tires and if I can drop them off for a few days it would be helpful vs having the car present.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

um excuse me posted:

They'll be fine, yea. As someone who constantly brings Costco loose wheels for my 2015 WRX, they don't need to be near the car to maintain programming. Once the ECU has it set, it only looks for them, even if they're not in range. Bring the wheels back, and they connect like nothing happened.

Don't know if you have TPMS on your winters, but I have an ATEQ Quickset to swap back and forth. It's already well paid for itself. You only need to get the winters programmed once by the dealer, activated if you will, then copy the IDs onto the Quickset.

Awesome, thanks.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sheared off a wheel lug on my wife's 2016 WRX. Bought a spare lug and lug nut. Is there anything else beyond removing the wheel, the caliper bracket and the rotor, hammering out the bad stud and pushing in the new one? Car has to be driven tomorrow am and don't want to end up in a bind with some nonsense jellyfish problem.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just did it. Went well enough. Definitely going to use washers next time to snug it down. Used the radiator bolt to free the rotor from the hub. Everything else came off easy.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Sadi posted:

For what it’s worth when my 04 wrx wagon struts needed replacement I put kyb gr2s on it and really liked them.

Gonna quote this too as I has the same experience with my 04 as well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I guess this may be random, but a friend of mine is about to sell his White 2006 Outback XT. Manual 5 speed and just under 100K miles. It's in really nice shape, I think it may need a CV axle replaced, but it runs fine. I figured I would mention it here if anyone might be interested. He is in the DC metro area. PM me for details if you care to know more and I can put you in touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have some Blizzaks mounted to some generic steel wheels that were used occasionally on my wife's 2016 wrx. I am in the DC area. Anyone interested in buying them cheap? They have 1/4" of tread on them, no patches, no TPM sensors either. Selling them as she has all seasons now.