Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
02 WRX owner here. Cobb Stage 2/Perrin UP/Kartboy SS + bushings and some minor exterior/interior things. Saving up for a V7 EJ207 swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
A few pictures from yesterday:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
First snow of the year here in Southern NJ. I went out to play. :) I love my Rally Armors and all of this new power is fun.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
A quick picture after some late night snow fun:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

TeamIce posted:

I've fired them off an email, and tried to contact them at the AIM address they provide, but gotten absolutely no response.

PM them on NASIOC.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

so I've been looking into upgrading my WRX a bit and I'm curious as to what people generally regard as good starting points for upgrading a stock model. For reference, it's a 2003 WRX, right now I'm thinking about installing a kartboy short throw shifter, and I was wondering if anyone has used them. They seem pretty highly regarded on nasioc and the other dedicated subaru forums, but I'm curious if anyone here uses one or has anything to say regarding them. I'm also thinking about a K&N cold air intake, but that's a bit further off, and I'm also looking for advice regarding those, or really anything else that would be a good start point for modding or whatever you wanna call it.

I use a Kartboy SS + bushings on my 2002 WRX, and it was one of the best modifications I've ever made to this car. Skip the CAI. It will make your MAF sensor hate you and your car will run like poo poo. If you absolutely MUST run an intake of some kind, get a Cobb short-ram intake. However, you will gain almost no power from this. It's merely for sound and looks. Instead, save up for a full exhaust (downpipe + catback), a catless up-pipe, and either an Accessport or Open-Source tune. Do not buy a blow-off valve. Your stock one is fine.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
My car ran worse with a Cobb short ram intake, and even worse than that with the SPT intake. I have a stock airbox now with a K&N drop in, Gimmick Motorsports inlet/aftermaf combo, and it's a beautiful thing.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
jamal, I need your opinion on short ram intakes. My tuner recommended one to go along with my new setup (APS hard-pipe inlet to go along with a silicone after-maf hose). I know that most of them are poo poo, but which is the least terrible in your experiences?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Anyone have experience with the JNA urethane front lip for the Bugeye? I have a Prodrive lip, not mounted yet, but everyone and their mothers has one now thanks to the Ebay knockoff one. Was looking to offload it for extra cash and throw the JNA lip on.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I would steer clear of the Accessport. I had one when I didn't know about Open Source tuning. I ended up selling it once I got a custom tune from a local tuner. It's cool if you want to clear check engine lights, change maps on the fly, etc. But otherwise, it was a waste of money, in my opinion.

Spend less money on a custom tune and get more power on a better and safer map.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

RealKyleH posted:

Given my planned mods I was planning on just using the 93 octane Cobb Stage 2.

Very late edit: I dont want that to sound like I'm not open to the idea of an open source tuner. I'll look more into it but out of curiosity, how much did yours cost? Is there many available maps for them like there is for the AP? I really do not want to spend the extra $$ for a custom tune on top of a tuner.

Mine was $500, which included tuning on a dyno and on the road. It's a much more personalized service, where you can talk one on one with your tuner, instead of putting a generic map on your car. My car felt loads better on my custom tune, because it was personalized for my vehicle and mods.

A lot of tuners can tune with the AP, using the StreeTuner/Protuner software, but why waste the money? You're essentially paying $700 for the AP first, then $250-350 extra for a custom map that can be uploaded to the AP. Why not bypass that and just get the custom map first?

Of course, this is a big debate for some people. A lot of people want the AP for map flashing ability, the "valet" mode, etc. Personally, it wasn't worth it to me, and I'm sorry I bought it. I can see the appeal with the Stage 1/2 maps while you're building your mods, but if I could do it all over again, I would have just bought all the mods at once, put them in, and taken it to a tuner.

My advice to you would be to see who the good tuners are in your area. What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

c/n: You will not be happy with any of the Cobb OTS maps for very long and you'll want more power.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Read this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410201

This will tell you how to buy the right cables to upload a map to your car by yourself using a laptop. It's very easy, as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. You could even see if anyone in your area has the cables you need and borrow them.

Then, buy one of these maps:

http://www.xpttuning.com/

Flash your car by yourself. XPT maps are loads better than anything Cobb (in my opinion and experience). The maps are cheap and make good power.

OpenSource + XPT is the way to go if you're on a budget.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Attempting to sell my Bugeye at the moment. I'm at the point where I don't want to put any more money into it. I need something non-turbo and non-problematic while I go through the home buying procedure. I came across this as a replacement. They are asking a little too much, so I will talk them down.

http://www.millersubaru.net/used/Subaru/2003-Subaru-Legacy-5649a7907f00000100be9fc1de083ae2.htm

Thoughts? Anyone own one? I have a 1993 Legacy L Wagon @ 155k that is on DD status. It has performed very well so far. Anything I should watch out for with the sedans?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Price and quality. Don't listen to people who tell you Rotas crack and are dangerous. I've never had a single issue and neither have my friends.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Car is overpriced for the mileage. If you decide to buy it, get a private inspection done first. Get a compression test.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Do not waste money on the AP.

Find a trusted tuner in your area, or have someone flash an XPT map on your car.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I have a 93 Impreza L Wagon. Lately, I've had a CEL and I'd like to see what its for. The car is ODB1 and I can't scan it. What do I do? I found a Youtube video attempting to explain it but it's still not very clear to me.

I've been noticing VERY poor gas mileage lately. If it's not just poor because of a bad o2 sensor, then I think the gauge is messed up. How do I diagnose and fix this? I am very unfamiliar with ODB1 cars.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks for the replies everyone. I pulled a Code 35 - Canister purge solenoid or circuit. What is it and how do I fix this? Could this be the cause of the poor gas mileage?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I have a 93 Legacy L Wagon. I believe I need new struts. What are my (cheap) options? Can I put Forester take-offs on this thing and lift it a bit?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

get out posted:

I have a 93 Legacy L Wagon. I believe I need new struts. What are my (cheap) options? Can I put Forester take-offs on this thing and lift it a bit?

Anyone?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

c355n4 posted:

Akuma Motorsports is in Morganville, NJ. They actually replaced my engine for me. Great guys. I do track events with the owner John. If you end up going to them, tell them Chris says hi. http://akumamotorsports.com/

They also do alignments and corner-balancing.

There is also Broken Motorsports in Union City, NJ. I had them do a little suspension work on my car before Akuma opened up. (Akuma is like 10 minutes from my house). They do not do alignments last I checked. http://www.brokenmotorsports.com/

Another one is AZP Installs. I've never been; but, they've been around for awhile. http://www.azpinstalls.com/

Vouching for Akuma Motorsports. They did literally everything to my 2002 WRX and it was all hassle free.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Attempting to find a grille for my beater. I believe it is a 91. I've bought a grille for a 91 and a 93 so far, neither have fit. What grille will fit this drat car?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I'm pretty sure it didn't fit. This is what I bought initially:

The seller told me it would fit, even though I had a wagon. He was wrong and I'm stupid for not doing more research. I picked it up for cheap so I didn't care much.

This is the second one I got, thinking it would fit:

At this point I don't know what the gently caress. Neither have come close to fitting. Feeling like a retard right about now.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 19, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thank you. Are you absolutely sure it will fit? I don't mean to doubt anyone, I've just spent a bit of cash so far and would like this to be the last time I have to. :)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

jamal posted:

Ron from Axis was in a bad car accident over in Europe while on a trip and is still in the hospital. Not sure where the "skipped country" rumors are coming from.

That was debunked on Nasioc and IWSti. Someone went to the shop and took pictures showing how someone had left in a hurry. Boxes everywhere, unpaid electric bill stuck in the door frame. There was no car accident, he's just a shady gently caress that scammed a lot of people.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

blargle posted:

Thanks, I'm going to stop by Precision Tuning and Akuma and see who would be better to do a stage 1/2 open source tune. Broken Motorsports is much closer to me but they seemed to located in the middle of the ghetto, and AZP seems to have gotten some negative reviews on various forums. I also found a local shop full of some shady characters, but decided against getting a "bro tune".

Just so you know, Rich @ Precision Tuning is a shady person. He told me a lot of things were "wrong" with my car when it was fine. He just wanted to sell me parts. All of the good mechanics that used to work at Precision ended up leaving and going over to Akuma.

Save yourself a headache and just go to Akuma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

kylej posted:

Speaking of Cobb and prices, why the gently caress does an Accessport cost so much? They charge more for a Chinese piece of plastic than a big metal downpipe. Trying to find a v1 for ~$200 but dealing with NASIOC kids makes me want to die. I'm going to flash my car then throw the drat thing in my closet -- maybe dust it off and get a protune this summer then throw it in my closet again. C'mon Cobb.

Some advice here, I bought the Accessport V2, flashed my car, and never used it again. A year later I was able to get a much better custom tune from a well respected tuner here in NJ (John @ Akuma Motorsports) for half the price of the AP. Find yourself a tuner that you trust and go that route. Save your money.