Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can I hang out in this thread? I just bought a Saabaru.

No pics yet since the weather hasn't been that nice but it's an '05 MT... whole lot of fun to drive and I got it for less than I would have paid for a similar mileage WRX. bless depreciation and private sellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Wrar posted:

Hello Saabaru buddy. Welcome to the crew.

It looks like you're working on Stage 2 exhaust... I'd love to know which uppipe and downpipe you went with. My plans in no particular order are tint, low-end re-enforcement (hopefully a discrete sub as I'd like to leave my cargo space as open as possible), maybe some 6.5's in the doors, then sway bars, springs, access port, and stage 2 exhaust.

How much did you pick up your exhaust for and what brands are the components? I've been starting to read up on things over at saab92x.com

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

It's good to be back in turbo Subbie land.

Also, I love The Shining, nice touch.

haha, my company is having a Shining Halloween party and renting out the entire Timberline Lodge (all outside footage of The Overlook)... apparently the company they are bringing in to organize it does these big production movie parties so I expect there will be lots of scripted scares.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mr. Powers posted:

Looking at the Cobb shifter, you can adjust one side for height and the other side for throw? The only problem I forsee is that with the proper short shift kit (STi), they include a shortened shift linkage, as well, and it is designed so that the linkage won't hit the metal surround around the shift lever. As I understand it, when using the Kartboy shifter, some people need to bend the plate to give the linkage room to move.

I don't think the adjustability is going to be useful to me, and while the STi kit is more expensive, I know I won't have any problems with it.

an engineer on saab92x.com designed and manufactures these short shifters and seems to garner a lot of praise. I'd love if anybody who has tried them could chime in or anybody who knows what to look for. They're a good $100 or so cheaper than the Cobb and seems to be fully adjustable.

http://www.ixizconcept.com/
frames but go to Control > Shifter ixizShift II

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
somebody please allay my fears... I dropped my car off to have the windows tinted a few minutes ago and I wanted non-metalized tint (can't do w/out my talk radio yo). so the jump in percentages was from 15%-35%... I opted for 15% because I would rather err on the side of more privacy but now I'm worried I'll go pick it up in a few hours and it'll be super dark.

does anybody have 15% tint on their subaru? please tell me it works fine.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlesM posted:

15% in the front seems a little dark to me. In the back it's not so bad. The best thing to do is always keep your mirrors and windows clean so you get a clear view.

yeah, it's a little dark after driving around with it at night but I think it'll work fine. I was trying to get an even look all around and the jump from 15 to 35 just seemed really large. If I get hassled about it maybe I'll have the front's re-done at 35 but for now I like the looks of it a lot. I'll take some pics in the next couple days here.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

I'm very interested in this shifter as it seems to do everything the Cobb one does for half the price. Now I just need to find some reviews of people who have used it.

Apparently a piece of the metal surround has to be bent or ground down for it to install. And drat this guy makes some nice stuff, I'm going to order the EBC, short shifter and the clutch stop :hellyeah:

he has a very loyal following over at the saab92x.com forums, go check out what people say. seems like a good dude. I haven't read anything about needing to trim it down but maybe there's a difference with the WRX.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I finally got a chance to snap a few quick picks of my new 2005 Saab 92x aero. The parking lot at work was completely deserted this weekend and the foliage was lookin' real purdy. I've only had the car for a month now so I haven't done much to it yet, just got the windows tinted, dropped my alpine deck in, and added a pro-clip + panavise dash mount for my iPhone. I wish it was black but other than that the car is a blast, can't wait for stage 2 at some point. This is the first car I've owned newer than 1990 so I'm happy to have full amenities (seat warmers are the best invention ever).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
few new photos from a "Shining" themed Halloween party at Timberline Lodge.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

I'd guess by the amount of vignetting that it was on purpose/Photoshop.

yeah, I just batch processed the whole set that way in lightroom to fit the mood of the event. might make more sense if you look at the rest but I probably could have toned it down a bit on the car shots. I've never really tried to take any beauty photos of my cars before.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/2998193931_0b1c39bdd4_b.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72157608616124901/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

grzydj posted:

The flow on Cobb and other aftermarket UPs are better than a gutted stocker. Still, you're going to spool up about 2-300 RPMs quicker than before with a gutted pipe.

If you've got the coin, I'd get an aftermarket UP and keep your original in case you can't get your car to pass emissions or if you want to sell it or whatever.

From what I've been told WRX's with Cobb Stage 2 are fine for passing emissions in Oregon, I suppose it depends on the state and how stringent the emissions laws are at your DEQ but has anyone found this to be generally untrue?

I'm planning on having some work done on my 2005 92x aero in the not-too distant future but if I know for a fact I won't be able to pass emissions with an aftermarket exhaust then it might effect my decision.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

People looking for a shifter, check out that double adjustable shifter that guy over on the Saab 9-2x forums makes. $95 for a shifter you can adjust in height and throw, pretty sweet. And definitely get a set of shifter bushings, $30 well spent.

Ixiz: http://www.ixizconcept.com/

hoping to pick up one of his short shifter's in not too long.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I got in my car (2005 Saab 9-2x MT) yesterday to drive to the store, I was parked down-hill with my car in reverse and I started the car and it jerked and went ka-thunk and stopped. The best I can figure is I didn't have the clutch fully engaged when I turned the key but in the ~10 years I've been driving manuals I don't think I've ever sub-consciously done this. I didn't think much of it and drove to the store, on pulling out of the lot in reverse I started hearing a kind of slipping/clicking sound like the clutch was slipping. I was hoping it just wasn't fully engaged and some folks on the saab92x.com forums said it's a somewhat common issue with the gear selector not being able to engage reverse and it would go away on it should go away... a day later and a few more errands run and it's still doing it.

Does it sound like I chipped some teeth or something? I've never had any transmission problems so I'm really concerned that I could have somehow inadvertently hosed up something serious subconsciously even though I've driven MT's since I got my permit.

Thoughts? Consolation?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anyone have any insight regarding my post a few posts up? Am I risking any further damage by driving my car for a week or so until I can get it into the shop to look at the clutch?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Turbo Car posted:

Reverese on the 5MT can be a bit wacko. Sometimes it won't go in at all, sometimes (rarely) only partially. If you're not sure you've got it in (or it won't go in), put it in first, roll forward a tiny bit, and it should slot into reverse again AOK.

Reverse is dog-style, straight cut. Strong, but loud and clunky. What you're experiencing is normal.

It's not that though I don't think. It's fully in, it's just clicking/slipping. It feels like something is chipped because it's a cyclical click. like on a rotation. I have to feather it a ton if I want to reverse.

When it first started was when I started my car in reverse and it bucked really hard and made sort of a crunching sound. I've been driving it for 4 days now and it's still doing the same thing in reverse.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

I wouldn't drive the car until I had someone take a look at the tranny.

It's only reverse that is making any odd noises, all forward gears are fine but I guess I'll try to set up an appointment to take it into the dealer tomorrow. It's just under 40k miles but I don't know how long of a warranty it has since I just bought it from the original owner a few months ago.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Turbo Car posted:

Ohh, I got the impression it was just harder than most manuals you have to engage.

Yeah, take it to the dealership. If a bit has come off (a tooth, say) and finds it's way into another gear...

:/

so... say it's just reverse that's fubar'd can somebody give me a general rundown of how the reverse gear works? What is a ballpark estimate on parts and labor for something like this.

edit: I dropped by the dealership on the way home and a service guy hopped in and listened to it. He says he's pretty sure it's the transmission mount and there should be a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. I'm going to drop it off at the shop in the morning, here's hoping it's covered by warranty and I dodged a bullet. The car is a 2005 with 39,800 miles.

Anyone have any idea of how much a transmission mount is to fix if it isn't under warranty?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 26, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Isn't powertrain coverage until 60k miles anways??

no idea what the coverage is, this is the first time I've owned a newer car and I don't know what the Saab warranty is... I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I take it in.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TeamIce posted:

So after waiting for 2 months, my Racecomp Tarmac 1's have finally arrived for my LGT. The shop is trying to sell me on a set of Whiteline sway bars to go with them - anyone have any experience with these? I know Whiteline's a good brand, but wondering if it's worth the comparative performance increase.

The one thing I like about Whitelines from what little research I've done is that they have a quick disconnect system similar to a bike wheel for the rear strut tower bar.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Took my car in to the dealer today, apparently the problem is something in the transmission. The coverage is 4 years, 50,000 miles so I won't have to pay anything but they're waiting to hear if Saab is just going to send out a new transmission or if they're going to have to take it apart to see what elements of it are actually damaged. My fingers are crossed for just getting a new transmission I think. It's really nice to have a more premium dealership and warranty coverage though, They've been shuttling me to work and back in a Caddy CTS. I'm just thankful I got the car after depreciation so it's like having my cake and eating it too.

I'm going to be really curious to hear what the problem was, I'm a little troubled that something so trivial could have blown up the transmission. I hope I don't have to worry about something like this after it's not under warranty.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 27, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
does anybody have a battery recommendation or should I just buy whatever they have at Costco?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

IOwnCalculus posted:

Buy whatever you can get for cheapest with the best warranty - there are only a handful of actual battery manufacturers, so you're just paying for different colors and labels on the package.

looks like the Kirkland battery is ~$65 plus $9 disposal fee.

36 month free replacement, 100 month manufacturer's warranty.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I finally got word from the dealership that Saab is sending out a brand new transmission to take care of my reverse skipping/clicking issue in my 92x aero.

Wooh! What do I need to know about breaking in a new transmission?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 8, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
my dealership just sent me a letter that I'm due for a 40,000 mile service appointment. wtf is due at 40,000? I thought the big stuff was all 30, 60, 90.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dr JonboyG posted:

He has a 92x, which is a 2.0 turbo.

well the 2006 92x has a 2.5, but yeah I have the 2005 with a 2.0.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Portland is getting it's first taste of winter weather, I woke up to snow which is quickly becoming ice as the day gets colder and more people have driven around.

Driving an AWD after driving my RWD 240sx for so long is going to take some getting used to. The few times I lost traction while I was driving about earlier it was odd to feel random wheels lose traction as opposed to knowing that it was always going to be the rears getting squirrely. The other thing that confused me was if I went to brake and it lost traction the brakes made a strange sound and kind of felt like they were pushing back or wouldn't engage. Is that ABS and I just don't know what it feels like? I'm used to pumping my brakes gently in conditions like this so I wasn't prepared for it to kind of not take or whatever.

That probably makes no sense whatsoever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Yes, what you felt in the brake pedal was the ABS engaging. Feels weird the first time you experience it.

I take it you just go with it then? I mean if you feel ABS kicking in do you pump your brakes or just keep pressure or...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlesM posted:

Don't pump the brakes. Let it do its magic -- keep your foot down.

edit: also what tires are you using?

uhhh, they're Federal Super Steel 535. When I bought the car the previous owner took the car to the tire shop to have them fill one of the tires that had been losing pressure. Apparently they took the tire off to inspect/patch it and then told her that it wasn't in any condition to be driving on so I got a call from her saying "I've got to buy new tires for the car" I offered to split the cost with her but because she was actually at the shop waiting for the tires to be swapped I had exactly 0 minutes to research tires and recommend what she purchase. Kind of got stuck with no choice unfortunately but at least they're new.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

taqueso posted:

Those tires are 2 for $50 cheap as poo poo tires, about what I would expect if the PO bought them to never use. I would buy new ones ASAP.

gently caress, they can't be that cheap can they? Les Schwab charged her $85/tire for them.

Jonboy, ha! not happening anytime soon buddy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dr JonboyG posted:

Your car is wearing the equivalent of a fake pair of AJIVs in green, yellow and black, but the air bubble is solid plastic. :D

hey, as long as I can run fast in them... :(

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

8ender posted:

They could be this cheap:

Went into a ditch at just under 20mph. I was driving on a snow covered road, went to turn on a 90 degree bend, and got nothing. Brakes, nothing, last minute acceleration, nothing. The tires the dealership put on the car so that it would pass safety were the finest quality "G3000" all-seasons and they sucked at everything. The only reason I kept them around was that they sucked less on dry pavement.

I have Goodyear Ultragrip 500 winter tires on now and my Impreza is a snow destroying monster.

yeah well... considering Portland gets snow approximately one week out of the year it doesn't seem like the most sound investment. It's way easier for me to just keep a pair of chains handy if/when I have to be driving around in the ice.

That being said maybe I'll look into better all around tires at some point but then wtf do I do with this set of near-new tires that are on there now? I'm also thinking there are far more cost effective things for me to do with my money for now so unfortunately tires will probably take a back seat to say an access port. I just wish the previous owner (a friend) hadn't had to make a rush decision on what tires to buy before I could have a say.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've never spun my tires so they can't be that horrible. does anyone actually have any reviews that prove they're the shittiest thing ever or something?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 15, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Probably a little too late to ask this, but anyone thing I'll have issues with 205/60/16 snows on stock WRX suspension and stock WRX 16" wheels?

I've been looking for chains for my 205/55/16 tires for a week now :(

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ribsauce posted:

Anyone know about these Saab 9.2x AEROs? Are they bascially WRXs with leather and more options? I had never heard of one, saw one today while checking out a Legacy, and thought it looked awesome. The dealer said it is basically a rebadged WRX engine wise and from what I have seen online it looks like this is true. Are they really reliable like Subarus? Anyone own one? If so can I bother you with 200 questions?

that's what I've got, pretty happy with it so far.

They only made them in '05 and '06 but the drivetrain is all subaru with saab doing the trim. there are a few other folks in the thread that have 92x's so fire away with the questions.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 23, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Nooo, I'm asking if they'll fit on the stock 16"s without rubbing much. I don't want to get a set of 15" steelies for the car I don't even know what Les Schwab is.

tire shop all up and down the left coast.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ribsauce posted:

Yea that site really helped lock in the decision. I just made an offer and am waiting for the runaround "talking to my manager" callback

edit

Check out my new drivers seat

edit

What kind of Yakima/Thule roof rack should I get for bikes, kayaks, and surfboards? I don't really know about them as I always had a hitch bike rack and ran my surfboard through the rear window and back of my pathfinder.

Welcome to the (relatively exclusive) club :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just went tearing around town in the Saabaru. We've had ~9 days of snow, ice, snow and today was the first day above freezing so there's tons of deep ruts and drifts. I never felt like I was anywhere near getting stuck. If anything I was being too liberal in gassing it over/through bumps but it felt pretty comfortable by the end.

I think I gave my suspension a much bigger workout than I did my traction control or ABS. Some of the ruts on backroads or along the light-rail tracks were really deep. I was scraping bottom a good number of times.

man I love this car. I can't imagine how well it would have handled if I'd actually had chains on.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ribsauce posted:

I can drive the manual pretty close to competent now. I drove about 3 hours and only stalled twice. You are correct, this car rules. I love the Saabaru. Thanks to this thread for the couple of posts answering my questions and helping me to decide to purchase it.

Does anyone know the best way to install Sirius? I have an external radio in my Pathfinder and wires run all over and it is way messy. I would like my new car to have a clean install if possible.

Also, 48" crossbars on the roof rack, correct? I was going to get a Yakima or Thule for a bike/surfboard/kayak. Is one better than the other? I've never owned a roof rack before. Do you install them yourselves or go to a shop?

as for Yakima or Thule, they're both just as good as the other and are fairly compatible at this point. as far as if you buy Thule cross bars you can put Yakima snowboard/bike racks on them and vice versa (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I'd recommend checking Craigslist for them if you live in a large enough city and just picking up some used cross bars since it's not like it matters if they have a few scratches or whatever.

I've got Thule crossbars because they came with the car, Yakima is an Oregon company, Thule is a Swedish company. Either way you go you're good.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Bud Manstrong posted:

The jazzy board requires no soldering, but it does require the use of a silent CD, which has to be kind of annoying. I've been thinking about doing it anyway, though. The '07 head unit has an AUX input and fits into the '05 and '06 LGTs, but the '08 is different.

how much is the jazzy mod? like $75 or something?

why not just save your money for a better deck that does ipod interface or usb or that and aux-in or whatever it is you need?

I picked up this alpine last year for under $250 and it has the most intuitive ipod interface I could find plus USB. I have a 4GB and an 8GB thumb drive (and they're only getting cheaper/larger) and then I dock the iphone while I'm driving with a panavise/proclip mount and if I get any calls it will auto-mute the music.

You can pick up decks with USB/Aux for much cheaper than that though and proclip makes holders that fit pretty much any major cellphone or mp3 player out there.

I can take a photo of my setup if anybody cares to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

I've done the Jazzy mod in both my 05 LGT wagon and my 02 WRX wagon, and both times it took less than 25 minutes. No soldering, you just need a silent CD.

I went with an Alpine HU in my Forster with the iPod cable, but it was a pain in the rear end controlling the iPod through the Alpine HU interface, and it annoyed the piss out of me so I went back to the Jazzy mod.

errr, which HU? I feel like the controls are super intuitive on mine. way easier than fumbling with the ipod or iphone and it controls every aspect of it... playlists, shuffle, whatever.