Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Looking for some advice on how to recreate two sounds from this techno track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduHXbWZ7Fs

First sound is that unique, crazy bassline right at the start that pulses an octave up and down. It has some kind of magical, fuzzy, mid-range frequency quality that I have been unable to replicate.

The second sound starts around 1:33 and is this fairly simple sine-wavey, water-droplet thing that scales upwards. It seems to have an ever so slight transient quality to it. I feel like it should be simple to replicate, but I have also been unsuccessful with it. Reminds me of stuff I'd hear in Tourian from Super Metroid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPsevDDgJ4) and gave me a bit of a nostalgia kick when I first heard it. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to emulate this extremely warm and otherworldly pad sound from Edit Select - Phlox Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhrsWAfArU

I know how to get the motion on it, with the obviously long attack and decays, as well as the pitch warble that is occurring likely with a tape media emulation plugin or a simple randomized LFO on pitch.

What I can't seem to get the same is the overall timbre of the sound. To my very novice and untrained ears, it sounds maybe like a heavily detuned polyphonic series of saw waves run through a low-pass filter with another set of the same on the rack playing a few octaves lower to add to the low end further, but I just can't seem to get it. My worry is that it's some mystical application of FM synthesis for the base sound and that I'm stuck experimenting with FM knobs until something comes close.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

Reposting this since the original link seems to have broken. Looking for help on how to make the synth chords @3:12. When I make chords/pads I have trouble getting them to sound smooth and airy and still have some intensity.

Somebody else can probably add a little more detail than me as I am still fairly amateur, but here's what I can pick out of that particular synth:

-That pumping, rhythmic smoothness that you are referring to is likely the use of the sidechaining the synth's entire instrument rack to the kick drum with a very fast attack and a long release to slow the return of the sound.
-There is very clearly a layer of white noise that has been either bitcrushed or run through a warmth/analog FX module. Simply add this as another instrument on your rack that follows the same midi as your actual synth to get that layer of airy hissing on top of the synth itself.
-The timbre of the synth feels fairly standard to my ears and makes me think of a polysynth employing upwards of 8+ or 16+ saw wave voices, with some slight detuning, sub oscillator enabled, stereo-widening, and a touch of reverb to get that big room epic saw synth sound.
-Would also add that big epic chords often add much more than just the standard 3-note triad. Make sure to add in sevenths, ninths, and/or additional tonics and 5ths from the lower octaves to really amp up the harmonics in the chord.

Siets fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 13, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

Thank you so much for this, it has really helped. Do you have any suggestions or resources I could use to learn more about adding 7ths, 9ths, and adding notes up and down an octave to create those very spacious chords? My music theory is pretty poo poo and it would be helpful to learn more about building chords. I play guitar but basically have to count notes if I want to re-create a chord shape in a synth. If I could go back I would have learned piano.

Somebody in the Ableton thread recommended me the book "Music Theory for Computer Musicians" and it really has been the first time music theory clicked for me out of all the other websites, YouTube videos, and other articles that I've tried to digest the subject through. The book has very clear writing and puts electronic music at the forefront of its thought processes. You'll get pictures of DAW midi arrangements alongside your traditional treble and bass clef music notation. The author also has work exercises for you to attempt after each chapter that range from easy and quick-recall to challenging. I bought it as an eBook on my phone for $25 and devoured it over a week while on vacation and it really has done wonders for my understanding of music theory.

Siets fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

This sounds like exactly what I need! Thank you so much for the help.

Hopefully in the next few months, I'll have something I'm not embarrassed to post for feedback :dance:

I will eagerly await your submission! Happy reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Using Ableton's Simpler and/or Sampler you can also get really cool, unique sounding pads simply by loading in a sample, trimming it down to essentially just a short waveform, and then letting it go to town with retrigger and some proper reverb. Use gregorian monk chant, a Star Wars lightsaber, or basically whatever as your sample base. Keeps your pads from sounding like every other preset saw pad out there.

edit: Here's one of the better examples of the technique. Pay attention to how he macros the loop window to get some really cool evolving sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSsWSHme0wc

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread