Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just remember: Only use samples after you clearly understand any and all licensing that they may have. :eng101:

One wouldn't want to get into legal trouble now, would one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey man, I've been there. I do sound design for a living, and while we have a pretty expansive library of sounds I'm legally allowed to use (they're royalty-free sound packs, like Hollywood Edge, Tonstrum, some Boom Library, etc), sometimes, I learn that we don't have a specific sound. I know that I can ALWAYS find something on freesound.org, but I can't use it, since it's usually a 'not for commercial use' licesne, and the last thing I would ever want would be for someone to call me out on it, and not be able to prove that it was legit.

I'm sure freesound has some 'use this, I (the submitter) doesn't care!', but I just don't bother at all anymore. Plus, who's to say they uploaded it in earnest?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goons, I need to know how to recreate the Ghostbusters proton pack/neutrino wand beam sound. Not the startup or shutdown, but when they're actually 'busting' a ghost.

From what I can make out, there's a punch at the beginning, most likely a sample used in fight scenes in film, and just filters over one or two white noise signals with some sort of disyortion, while a bass synth (triangle wave maybe?) is played underneath. The bass would have some randomised tremolo, I think as well. Am I even close?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEcMG2Jvx3k

At around 2:20, there's a synth line going up, note by note. Now, it sounds to be a square wave with a soft attack, am I correct in thinking this? There's also a bass-y sound underneath it, sawtooth wave? I would love to recreate this sound exactly as it is, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good synths to use to get started with that? I guess technically any of them can do, but I'd like to try it out with something like the ImpOscar or Minimonstah, which I own. Is there a setting that has a glide that isn't 100% smooth, but rather plays every note on the way up or down?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

snappo posted:

Definitely a Minimoog, tracked in two layers. The high layer is a triangle wave with the filter fully open (except for a quick manual sweep on the note before the final descending run), no resonance/emphasis, no filter envelope/contour, 0 attack time, 1 second decay, 0 sustain, "decay switch off", glide off, key tracking off.

There's an 8th note echo on the high layer that's automated up when the first ascending run of notes occurs. Full unity tap and a bit of feedback.

The bass layer is a square wave, two octaves down from the triangle, with cutoff at about "2". All other settings are the same. The cutoff is pulled down during the descending run, and swept open towards the very end.

I don't know what MIDI editor you use, but in REAPER you can control-alt-click/drag to draw a diagonal line of chromatic notes, making sure snapping is disabled. Don't worry about getting the notes to conform to any sort of triplet or sixteenth type pattern, just get the approximate slide time right.

Part of the characteristic sound is the slow note decay. Legato notes on the Moog don't retrigger the loudness envelope, so the decay occurs gradually during sustained notes as well as the fast runs of notes.

Wow, holy poo poo, thanks! Man, I need to get better at recognizing my synthesis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bazanga posted:

I've been toying around with adding some atmosphere to some songs and ran into this video of an Axe FX setting for "Black Hole" (around 4:30 in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlvoXg9M7w

I figure it's just a ton of reverb and delay, but I can't get the actual strike strikes to fade into the background like he's managing to do in the video. Almost sounds like a synth.

My god, the 'stratosphere' preset at 3:15 is beautiful :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://youtu.be/P9BfvPjsXXw

I'm curious about something here: 29 seconds in, that metallic sound that has a soft attack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I would love to know how to redo the synth found at the beginning of this video (the Retroware opener)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCuUQbr_mQ

I know it's close to, if not exactly the same as, the synth sounds of FEZ, which I loved.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

utamaru posted:

Here is close to, if not exactly the same as, the thing you are looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH04VJ8jxvo

Thanks a bunch! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Need a bit of help with this one, and I'm using the ES2 in Logic 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8nZrOQETN4

0:17 seconds in, what's the best way to get that bass sound?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

He'd layer lots and lots of 6-string and 12-string acoustic guitars together. Strumming up on chords, strumming down on chords, strumming rhythms, he'd just sit around and add overdubs to any tracks he could.

Jeff Lynne is the 80s-based Billy Corgan, except a nicer person :unsmith:

Seriously, 'Soma' allegedly has around 40 overdubs. :psyduck:

• Locked thread