Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Okay this one's seriously bugging me, myself and a friend who's way better than me at this kinda stuff are completely stumped, so I'm hereby bumping this thread.

The sample in question: http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/99284/lifelikesample.mp3

The high glassy synth that comes in 4-5 seconds into that sample. Honestly I'm at a loss, I'd appreciate any help whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Mannex posted:

What's up with this awesome "ice flutes in space!" sounding thing in the beginning of the Champloo intro, which goes into a big sweeping background chord at 0:21 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0RxZXbaL4w&feature=related

It sounds like a mixture of a flute mixed with an "ooh choir" noise and then turned into a chord. Could it be a sample?

Definitely a sample, of what though I couldn't tell you specifically. Kinda the nature of hip-hop :/

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yoozer posted:

It's the flanger/phaser which makes it glassy - but also hard to figure out what the actual source sound of it is.

Yeah exactly. Digital FM is as much as we know, and we're only like 90% sure on that. Ugh this is bugging me.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Stux posted:

Someone give me some pointers to getting a good aggressive dubstep wobble bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZYDmw2pYOk (if you have massive, if else youtube has a few other good ones)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

edit: completely wrong thread, nice job self

mezzir fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 29, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Huh...swore I posted this earlier tonight but must've closed the tab by accident as it was submitting or something. Anyways,

Trying to figure out how to make the glassy pad dealies that come in at 1:09. Tried and tried and can't fuckin figure it out. Not just the phaser that makes it as far as I know, its beyond that. Thinking maybe a notch filter does it after using one earlier today and getting something in the ballbark but I really don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

GbrushTwood posted:

This is probably the best thread I've seen perhaps ever on the forums. Thanks so much.

As a budding producer and whatnot, I am constantly in awe of jack beat's synths, mainly the one on

Drop the Pressure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c_2vFFif8E (1:02)

How the hell do they get it to sound so clean and ... I guess crunchy? It sounds like there are two synths going on there, one high one low, with a lot of bending, but I have no idea how to achieve any effect remotely similar.
Holy poo poo. I'll agree with whoever it was that said his sound design is sick, but I've been known to throw a brickwall compressor on the master channel and turn literally everything up a poo poo ton, and yet this still makes me think the compression's a bit overboard.

The patch itself is slightly interesting and without checking, I bet yoozer got it right, but as it sounds to me, the whole track is under a METRIC poo poo TON of compression.

• Locked thread