Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
This is much more of a programming/sequencing question than a synth emulation question, so I dunno how much assistance is too much to expect...but honestly Yoozer, you've been blowing me away with your knowledge of Reason and synthesis in general, so I figure now's as good a time as any to shoot:

I'm pretty proficient in Reason and have been using it for several years, but I always have trouble making my drum parts sound more "natural" and live. Now that Reason 4.0 has the ReGroove Mixer there's some pretty cool potential for variations and fills on drum loops. But I still can't seem to program a really awesome, aggressive drum solo yet. Specifically, I'm looking for something very similar to Nine Inch Nails' "Piggy":

http://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+Nails/_/Piggy
The solo kicks in about 2:40 and builds and builds up to the end. Part of what I like about it is the way it develops, also the drum sounds they use are pretty badass and have some rawness to them.

Apparently, the drum solo in the actual song was just some demo track that Trent Reznor made and liked enough to keep it in the song. But since I have absolutely no skills with actual drum kits and not even a MIDI drum pad at my disposal, my luck emulating this kind of crazy melt-down solo has been slim. I know Reason has some awesome tools for automating and randomizing this sort of thing, but can I duplicate this sound strictly using Reason only, or is my best bet to get an actual live drummer?

Also, if that question isn't very fruitful, any chance of recreating the dark keyboard sound that starts at 0:45 and runs underneath the main part of the song? (Not the tinkly piano at the end) A reason patch would be AMAZINGLY helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

Yoozer posted:

Really helpful :words: about why drum solos are kind of hard to replicate

Alright, so I guess my plans of completely software-designed drum solos are kind of unrealistic, but...here's another question I've been pondering:

Reason isn't that good at emulating guitar sounds off the bat, mostly because every single drat "guitar" patch for the NN samplers sounds like a weird piano when I play just plain old vanilla notes. Even with some nice gnarly distortion laid on it from a Scream 4 module, it still doesn't sound like a guitar at all. Is my problem with the way the notes are written? That is to say, Would it help if I delay each note in a chord ever so slightly to simulate strumming? I guess this question is sort of the same as the drum solo thing, where I'm trying to emulate live instruments, so I'm prepared for the typical "Just record a live player" answer. But some alternative would be nice, even if it means getting a slightly inaccurate sound. What's a budding producer to do?

PS Yoozer your advice in this thread and the electronic music thread is invaluable

SpecialAgentCooper fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 6, 2008

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Okay, I've already posted in this thread several times but I have one last question I swear!

Also, a big thank you to Yoozer yet again for recommending the Prominy Guitar samples, even the demo track sounds bitchin' and I would definitely save up for it.

Slightly on the guitar-related tip again, my uncle turned me onto Jeff Beck a month ago and the way he makes his guitar sound like a goddamn motorcycle is amazing. I've more or less accepted that no amount of tweakery will get my guitar playing to sound as good as his, but I'm trying to find some rhythmic synth patch that resembles a motorcycle sound in some way - the sort of gutteral, chugga-chugga noises and such. Beck sort of does it in his own vroom way, especially at the beginning of "So What":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV73rwbypWs

I'm not even really trying to emulate a guitar sound at all here, but just some aggressive mechanical rhythm more like. It'd be amazing if I could use Malstrom in Reason and use the motion or something to slow it down to a rattley chug or speed it up to a high-pitched vroom. Maybe distortion with Scream 4 on top would be the way to go as well (basically my favorite module, I stack it on almost everything except melodies). I suppose Thor has the better options for modulation capabilities but it's kind of a monster to get the hang of.

Any suggestions for starting points?

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Yoozer posted:

:rock:

This worked loving well, thanks very much!

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

What's the ideal method for extracting vocals and then cutting them up? I'm not trying to do some of that silly WinAmp plugin thing where it makes songs sound like they're instrumentals, but rather, I just want to keep the vocal for a song and mix the music out.

On a similar note, how do the Boogie Pimps cut up their vocal samples in such a musical way? (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdsLaODLsw for a good example) Would loading a chopped Dr.REX sample into Reason and then triggering slices via MIDI work? I realize this question is pretty simple given that it's hardly an unusual effect, but I've never successfully duplicated it.

• Locked thread