Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How would I go about making this awesome bass in DCAM: Synth Squad?

Donkeyboy - City Boy

I've spent days trying to make it now, and I just can't get that same "thwang" to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of synth/sound this is. It's the one right at the beginning of the song (not the bass and not the drums):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4H672vkoY

I've heard it (or a similar sound) in more of the tracks on this OST as well, but I can't seem to recreate it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

"House" organ with some noise and high resonance on the filter. What synth/VST are you trying to duplicate it with? The easiest way would be to sample it off of a copy of the first Deeee-lite album. In general, sine waves (slight detune between them), strong attack on the amp and filter envelopes, a fairly high mix in for a noise oscillator and set the resonance to right before it self-oscillates.

(Seriously though, sample it off a Deelite album, that's probably what the guy who made the song did)

I've never really sampled before, but I tried to take a sample off of the first album's song "What Is Love?" and it sounds great. Really gives me that Bomberman Hero vibe, even if it doesn't sound exactly the same.
Going to try some more sampling from now on. Thanks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KaosPV posted:

That sounds awesome.

Anyone knows how to link a MIDI parameter to a random value in Ableton? Like if I wanted the frequency of the bandpass filter to receive a random value every X time (as in the effect you are talking about)?

Was about to ask the same, that sounds absolutely wonderful and I'm pretty sure you're a wizard, wayfinder.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

I used the LFO on the auto filter for this.

That's strange. I thought you might've done that because it had the 3/16 setting, but I just never got it to sound right. I think 90% of my parameters were way high though :downs:
Thanks a bunch!

e: it works!
I have to make use of this somehow, love that effect.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 25, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's (probably) an easy one! The "bass" used on Kraftwerk's The Robots (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wop47G2qeY&#t=22 Starting at 0:22). I'm usually pretty decent at recreating sounds but for some reason I can't figure this one out. Is it layered? It has a lot of bass and a lot of high end. What waveform is it, even?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://picosong.com/hGm8/

Does anyone know what rompler this vocal "doo" sound comes from? I think I got this sample from a general midi pack at some point, but I swear I've heard the sound before and it must come from somewhere.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Harmony For Computer Musicians is even better about the whole "making obtuse things relatable" if you enjoy the first one.

After googling that I found out he also has a book called Composition for Computer Musicians ... I know which two books I'm reading ASAP! This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for and his foreword in the book you mention seems to agree

quote:

Because the computer musician is relatively new on the music scene, there is a distinct lack of materials [...] it is generally assumed that computer musicians should adapt to those classical methods of musical training ordinarily used in our schools and universities. [...] this means that computer musicians are thus faced with a huge hurdle to overcome in order to acquire the essential musical learning and training that they need. It is for this very reason that I began writing a series of books for computer musicians, of which this particular volume is the third.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a weird question; are there any good VSTs and/or learning resources for scratching? I've always loved the effect but there's no way I'm gonna learn how to do the real thing. It feels like one of those things that could be recreated in software, and a cursory google search shows that there are several vst's that claim to do the job but I haven't found much in the way of learning resources/guides/tutorials on how to actually utilize them. I have 0 knowledge about scratching, I just know it makes for a really neat effect in small amounts, especially on chill tracks. :coffeepal:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, both of you! :3:

I dug up my M1 VST and sure enough, it has some good "doo"s! That Super Mario Sunshine song is pretty spot on too, I can't believe I forgot about that. I really should try to get an understanding of the M1 and Wavestation VST's some time, while browsing I found a lot of nostalgic sounds... they're just so incredibly anti-user friendly VSTs. I wish I could just rip all of their samples out and use my own sampler instead (kinda like the Proteus soundfont I bought).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

I've been watching one of the umpteen covers of the Stranger Things theme.

https://youtu.be/xEclVvYKXWE

Those chords he plays on the bottom synth at 46 secs, what would that be? I've heard it before loads of times and have always liked it.

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but it's just a cliché synth brass patch playing the chords Em D C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

Sorry, I didn't realise my post was so garbled.

I was asking about the synth itself - a friend said he thinks it's a Roland.

Ah, gotcha.

Laserjet 4P posted:

The chords in 0:46 are played on the Oberheim.

King of the cheesy synth brass.

• Locked thread