Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah, don't get all excited, it's exactly the same thing as the phone version, but for Windows the full version is free. You can get low latency working by adding a line to an ini file, but the asio device has got to be the first thing in the audio devices list, which isn't the case on my laptop.

Definitely takes after early Reason. Not that there should be an expectation that it will ever develop in a similar direction, but it's a good starter/dabble thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Use as many different LFOs at differing speeds as you've got available and let them modulate as many different parameters as you can by minute amounts.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MrSargent posted:

I'm interested in what you mean by putting an LFO on as many parameters as you can...like I would think it needs to be a little more targeted than that to widen the sound out right?
You don't need to modulate everything with everything all the time, but it's worth asking (testing) for all parameters whether they pay off maximally being static.

Point being this:

Lhet posted:

Also thought LFOing everything would be a pain
The temptation is always great not to touch a modulation matrix at all, or to interact with it minimally, because it's fairly abstract and a chore.

Setting up <1% separate pitch fluctuations for every separate oscillator to sort of emulate wonky analogue gear is something that can pay of massively in pads. Same for oscillator phase offset, oscillator panning and god knows what else.

If I start thinking of modulation from scratch, in the abstract, I rarely get farther than "ok, let's have the filter frequency breathe rhythmically with the tempo" or something. I've seen tutorials doing weird poo poo like modulating the amount of unison voices to great effect or rotate through filter types; things you wouldn't just think of. If it's a knob you can twist and it does something interesting to the sound, it might be worth modulating. Use a good mix of slow and fast LFOs, synced and unsynced and/or free running, and a good variation of applying them moderately and subtly. It's always easier to dial back some modulation if it's too interesting and draws the attention away from the lead instruments than it is to intentionally tart up a pad that's static and boring.

There's the old advice to turn down the reverb you're adding, up to the point you don't know it's there until you turn it off. That's sort of the margins within which a lot of fantastic things can be added to a pad with modulation.

• Locked thread