Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Does anybody know what kind of drum machine Prince used in "When Doves Cry"? Specifically I am interested in the source of that sharp tock/clack sound that's around the 2 and 4 beat of the rhythm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

Linn LM-1

Thanks! The downtuned LM-1 clap was exactly what I was after.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mannex posted:

pretty sure it's a high-pitched saw wave from a synth, lowpass filtered a little bit to cut out the synthetic-sounding highs. It's pretty drat expressive though so I assume it was played by an expert keyboardist with expression wheels and aftertouch and all that good poo poo.

yeah, it's a pretty simple monophonic synth line, you could get something pretty close to that with just about any virtual analog type VST. The important part is the portamento (for the gliding between notes), and a controller with a modulation wheel for the vibrato (aka an LFO modulating the amplitude).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

FLX posted:

Hey, thanks for this awesome thread! I'll be taking part in a creative media/art workshop week later this year and I'm thinking about preparing a presentation/workshop for "subtractive synthesis basics" with Synth1. Does anybody know if there is a simple and free DAW that can run the Synth1 VSTi, so I could pass around a USB Stick to the students, so they can try it out immediately?

MU.LAB Free looks like it might be just the thing.

If that's still too big and complex, maybe Tobybear Minihost

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Does anybody know anything about the sound programming used in the old Williams arcade games and pinball machines (e.g. Robotron, Defender, Joust, Gorgar, etc.)?

I've determined that all of those games used the same Williams D8224 sound board, which contains a Motorola 6802 CPU, but can't find any info on the actual sound generation.

I know that most of it is just detuned oscillators and awesome use of LFOs, I can get in the general ballpark with Massive (and I am pretty confident that Massive can do "that sound") but I have always loved the crunch & sizzle of the sound programming in those games and would love to be able to get closer to recreating it.

• Locked thread