Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Project Lithium posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this as I'm not looking for a sound, per say, but rather how to achieve a particular effect. I'm trying to do something similiar to the the stuttering effect found on the vocals in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IR9ZeA_fx4
(Crystal Castles - Crimewave (la riots remix)

I have at my disposal Reason 4 and Ableton Live.

Thanks in advance.

you need to record the output of dblue glitch while tweaking a vocal sample. Then after you make a few cool edits. Put them in sampler than mess with them changing transpose amount in places. Maybe play part of the vocals like a keyboard patch and send that again thru glitch.

I would get sugar bytes effectrix to do this.

I think there is massive sampling and resamplng going on. So start processing things and get editing.

yoozer you are fast man. I typed this in and you had already answered by the time I got my post loaded.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I think it needs a filter of some kind on it. I would maybe run it thru a wah pedal or emulation in amplitube or something. It needs grime and filth I think.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

h_double posted:

yeah, it's a pretty simple monophonic synth line, you could get something pretty close to that with just about any virtual analog type VST. The important part is the portamento (for the gliding between notes), and a controller with a modulation wheel for the vibrato (aka an LFO modulating the amplitude).

This but make sure you find the perfect lfo time. So its smooth like a theremin. It is probably a nice vintage analog like a ems vcs3 or something, played by a good player/sound designer.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Piuro posted:

Anyone know how to make a sound like the first few notes in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMjVxk1iYU ? Preferrebly in Logic?

Its 3 layers or so. Bass guitar on the bottom, probly a saw with resonance in the middle, the top has flanging, ring mod a ton of resonance with control from envelopes. High attack setting slow decay on the effect contolling envelopes.

Most likely its some samples chopped and stacked and effected.

How do I make this analog brass sound on my xiosynth?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERZditebxKM

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 24, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
To answer my how to make synth brass question I went on a search read ten tutorials in different places made 10 or so brass patches.

First use one oscillator on saw only. key tracking on filter at 100 percent. lowpass mode 10 percent res. 0 filter freq. mod env connected to filter a 50 d 70 s 67 r 0
vca env a 45 d 0 s127 r 11. add a tad of delayed lfo1 connected to filter freq for vibrato on the end of the note or add it with pitch wheel set to +1 and wiggly very slightly.

Add shallow chorus and your money.

I like 1 oscillator brass way better that 3 osc detunes or giant unison patches.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Dorkopotamis posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxEr5Aw5_0&feature=player_embedded

How does David Bazan's sidekick make them sounds on his guitar?

POG POG POG POG

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
How do I achieve the production quality on washed out's songs feel it all around and belong

http://www.myspace.com/thebabeinthewoods

I got the snare sounding right. I just can't get the washy ness of the track.

i use plate reverbs, timeless 2 for wow and flutter, urs strip pro for tape emulation at 15ips. I use live's bit redux to downsample a lot of poo poo. auto filter everything. Am I going about this the right way? doesn't sound right.

Do I need to sample things on a cassette or something. Is it all samples? and vocals? I have been using verbed out synths to make the wash. like absynth thru gr4 iceverb with filter lfoed like mad with s&h wave form.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 2, 2010

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

breaks posted:

Rip a loop or two from 70s and 80s tunes, slow them down, EQ them, sometimes he puts some extra delay or reverb on there. Then sing over them with a lot of delay and reverb, add a couple synth twinkly sounds, and you are basically done.

I don't think much of him but I'm not really trying to be sarcastic, I think you are way overthinking what he's doing to his sampled loops... Compare Get Up to Got To Get Up by Change, he does even less to that one than he does to most of them. Since there's less going on it might be more instructive.

Thank you times one thousand. It does lose a little charm, hearing slowed down 80s poo poo. I love daft punk so I probably love this. Something about slowing down old funk and electro.

That covers all the bases of it being on tape, and having that nice woody moog sound on the bass. So, I just need to get to chopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I bet ten people into Speakerphone would do the trick. Get kids and young and old adults. Speakerphone has like infinite uses.

• Locked thread