Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

moron posted:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yEup7_MP9TM

Could anyone tell me how to achieve that ringing quality found on the lead part of this track (starts a about 1:40)? I've tried experimenting myself and, whilst I can make decent sounding leads, I can't get anything that has that ringing, crisp sound....

I got pretty close with the following Thor patch (in Reason):

The crucial factors to note here are:
  • The oscillator: the Multi Oscillator in Thor gives you lots of square waves at once and handles all the detuning for you, thus producing a really lush sound
  • The amplifier envelope: note the short decay, zero sustain, and short release - this gives us a plucked, ringing sound.
I added a little delay, too, and I got a really nice sound. Try it out :)

EDIT:

moron posted:

Brilliant, thanks! I've managed to get something pretty bang on...if anyone's interested, I can upload the patch in Virus TI format?

You're welcome! *sigh* only in my dreams do I have a Virus TI :smith:

nugget of poo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

Any idea how to replicate Neon Indian's fat, retro drum sound? Their Myspace is here, "Mind Drips" is a pretty good example of the sound I like. I've got Reason, Logic, and a whole stack of drum samples at my disposal.

nugget of poo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 5, 2010

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

Yoozer posted:

Use Linn or E-mu Drumulator samples (the kick sounds familiar to that) - but play them back at a lower key, slowing them down (especially noticeable with the snare).

This alone probably won't do the trick - see http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/423641-glo-fi-production-technique.html for more.

Thank you for the explanation and the great link!

• Locked thread