Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
A while ago someone by the artist name of "Aetherius" posted an ambient album download that he made on this forum. I don't know if that's his user name on SA. He described some kind of process he learned to create an overly distorted sound on a synth that has slight feedback. It's on a bunch of the tracks, but you definitely hear it on the first track. Does anyone remember this thread and know what I'm talking about?

Edit: Here's the thread with the download http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968983

And his username is Rageaholic Monkey

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Yoozer posted:

If it's the sound in 'The Return of the Unknown' coming in at around 2:50, try this:

It's more around 3 minutes. I just downloaded the Reason demo and tried it out. I can't believe how intuitive and straight forward the interface is. The sound that I got certainly distorted, but it wasn't quite like the one in that track. I think I have to play around with delays and putting it back through another screamo. Thanks for your suggestion.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I'm trying to find where a certain sample comes from. I know the Beastie Boys used it and when I remember what track, I'll edit this post and mention it. It's someone singing "Seee whaaat's happeniiiiiing!"

edit: Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this by the way. But the sample can be heard at around 1:10 or 1:11 of "Get It Together" by The Beastie Boys on Ill Communication. Anyone know where this is from?

You can also listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7REpJlMfLo#t=1m10s

edit 2: I think it's from Grand Funk Railroad so I'm listening to some tracks and I'll give an update if no one beats me to it.

edit 3: I'm stumped.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 3, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Soup in a Bag posted:

WhoSampled says it's from Eugene McDaniels' Headless Heroes.

Thanks.. it is! I can't believe how off key he is sometimes in this track, but it's still nice.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

The sound I'm lookign for comes in around 8 or 9 seconds in. My guess is an organ and guitar through a vocoder but I totally can't tell. The rhythm is too human sounding to be modulation. But i could be wrong. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJACkDjU8S0&feature=related

It sounds like maybe an organ sounds through a high pass filter and high resonance with the cutoff varying all over the place or every time a note changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

hooptyjr posted:

Time travel!

In all seriousness, I've wondered the same thing myself. I feel like it would be near impossible to recreate the vibe that's present on early recordings such as these.

Not at all impossible... challenging, yes. Even listening to how Amy Winehouse's music was engineered and mixed, it has a very old sound while still maintaining a higher fidelity expected in todays pop music. Read about carbon mics. Also look into ribbon mics.

You can also try to get this sound in post digitally with EQ and maybe sending some of it out to an aux track and adding a distortion plug-in and adjusting it appropriately. And then sweeten it up with reverb and you could also send some of that out to distortion and EQ. It kind has to be done perfectly or else it will sound awful. Just keep experimenting with this and see what you get.

• Locked thread