Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Was the FM bass on Michael Jackson's Another Part of Me a stock DX-7 patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Are Fairlight samples still available somewhere? I'm looking for this specific bass sample for something I'm working on. I've heard it in a million songs, but here's where it can be heard clearly. At least I'm pretty sure it's a Fairlight sample.

http://youtu.be/M0b1tdAfW2I

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think he used an E-mu but hell, the M1 is close enough if I can't dig up something in that Fairlight pack, thanks.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Weird BIAS posted:

If I wanted to gain as much information about the synths, keyboards, recording tricks, effects that Electric Light Orchestra used, is there a resource or book or anything I can refer to?

Are you trying to get the, uh, "signature Jeff Lynne sound" (COMPRESS EVERYTHING! LIMIT EVERYTHING! MORE ACOUSTIC GUITARS!!!) or looking for info on ELO in general?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ah! Okay, that's one of my favorite albums so now I want to do some research too. Off the top of my head and with a quick search:

Jeff Lynne liked to room mic the biggest bass drum he could find. The drums (and everything else, really) had some combination of heavy compression, limiting, and gated reverb. He was a big fan of the UA 1176 limiter.

The main synthesizers on Time were the CS-80 and OB-X. According to Richard Tandy, they also used the Wurlitzer EP200, a Clavinet, and Concert Spectrum for specific sounds. Twilight was mostly OB-X. The sweeping synth rhythm on Here Is the News was a CS-80 with a ring modulator. Jeff is credited with playing a Moog in general, either a multitracked Minimoog or a Polymoog. The vocoder was probably the Roland VP-330.

He'd layer lots and lots of 6-string and 12-string acoustic guitars together. Strumming up on chords, strumming down on chords, strumming rhythms, he'd just sit around and add overdubs to any tracks he could.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 2, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jeff Lynne is the 80s-based Billy Corgan, except a nicer person :unsmith:

Seriously, 'Soma' allegedly has around 40 overdubs. :psyduck:

He said in an interview that growing up he had a 2-track tape recorder. He'd play something on the left channel and dub it to the right channel. He'd do whole songs like this with so many overdubs he'd wear out the tape. The man loves his overdubs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I remember matching up a lot of Mario 64 samples with the Korg M1 library, including its version of the vocal Doo.

You might be able to find a copy of Super Mario Sunshine's MIDI sample library online, people like to rip things from those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, I've got the VST and the Gadget version of M1 and they're so hard to use and manipulate patches on. But the Pan Flute is like, peak 1990s and I love it so.

I haven't figured out the Wavestation VST yet.

• Locked thread