Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snappo
Jun 18, 2006
He's not sampling anything. The guy has obviously spent a lot of time figuring out what notes/chords each of the sound effects consist of and now to articulate them. The only one I can really discern is the coin sound, which is the two-octave harmonic on the B and high E string. I think the crappy distortion and bad recording quality help approximate the grainy 8 bit quality of the NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
The kick sounds like a run of the mill "clicky" sort of metal kick. The snare sounds like a medium high, possibly synth-generated, tom tom with a burst white noise layered on top of it.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

meatcookie posted:

Two questions I hope someone can help with.
1: How to replicate (not looking for 100% accuracy, just 'close') the bass tone on Daft Punk's 'Teachers' for a bass guitar w/pedal setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiknlK9YQrI @ :31 sec

2: Tony Iommi's tone for the solo in 'Loner' off their new album. It sounds like maybe phase/flange, compression and some other stuff but I'm having a hard time getting a handle on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dIaskgOd3Y @2:57

1. That's your bog standard sawtooth oscillator with a resonant lowpass filter. You might be able to get partway there by playing through an octave pedal and fuzz, into something like a Moog MF101.

2. Sounds like a tape flange, or possibly a Foxrox TZF, which is just about the only pedal that can pull off that sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQKwl1qEp4

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

I AM NOT THE MOON! posted:

The first one that has been kicking my rear end is the smacking-sounding drum things that play at 0m57s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwAS2PKZjE I have spent about two hours trying to get anything at all to sound similar to that and have nothing close so far.

Snippets of a drumloop (kick,snare+cymbal) run through sample rate reduction (not the same as bitcrushing).

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
I hear mostly square waves, without any real processing. Here's your first link re-done with a Minimoog; not a lot of resonance, cutoff all the way down, filter envelope amount set about halfway, a tiny attack lag, and decay set to give it a similar bounce bounce.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqCGxm0e6Y
I know this was a while ago. But I have not been able to get it still.

Couple of things. There's a root D playing offbeats in the pattern, a bit quieter than the higher notes. Hard to hear distinctly, but that's what fills it out, and maybe why you can't tell if you're playing too low or high. Also, there are two different delay lines going: a (bpm 170) quarter note tap panned to the left and a 3/16 tap to the right, which gives it the back and forth sway.

Waveform sounds to me like a single sawtooth, with a low cutoff, touch of reso, and a quick plucky filter+amp envelope. Here's my attempt, with some fairly drastic EQ bandlimiting (hp @ 250, LP @ 2750) and a big narrow boost around 875 Hz, which is where a lot of the energy in that sound lives.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Can you show me a picture of what you did, a visual reference could help me a lot when I try it again.

I did it on a Minimoog, but I'll download Synth1 tonight and see if I can screenshot a similar sound for you. The main component of the sound is the plucky filter envelope, where LP cutoff is set at or near 0, filter envelope amount is set just high enough to create the right level of brightness, with an instant attack, 0 sustain, and a short decay set by ear to approximate the length of the notes you hear in the example.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Here you go. The envelope shape of Synth1 doesn't seem to lend itself quite as well to pluckies, but it can get you in the ballpark. Also including the EQ curve I applied, as well as a visual of the alternating MIDI pattern.

Remember that the two panned delay lines (quarter note and 3/16 note) can't be done within the synth alone, you'll need to use one or more additional delay plugins to accomplish that.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

kuf posted:

I've been trying to recreate this for a few days, I'm bad at this. This is about as close as I can get with the analog instrument in Ableton Live + an EQ:

Is there an obvious thing I'm doing wrong or can I just not get that sound from that instrument?

I've never used Ableton Analog, but the problem I hear is that the contour of each note is completely flat/static. You need to employ a filter envelope to smoothly lower the cutoff when the note is triggered. The same goes for the amplifier--it should diminish in volume as the note is held, so there is a short fade-out at the end of each note. If filter slope is an option, you'll want to use a 4 pole (24db) lowpass instead of 2 pole (12db), which will give the bass a darker tone.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Definitely a Minimoog, tracked in two layers. The high layer is a triangle wave with the filter fully open (except for a quick manual sweep on the note before the final descending run), no resonance/emphasis, no filter envelope/contour, 0 attack time, 1 second decay, 0 sustain, "decay switch off", glide off, key tracking off.

There's an 8th note echo on the high layer that's automated up when the first ascending run of notes occurs. Full unity tap and a bit of feedback.

The bass layer is a square wave, two octaves down from the triangle, with cutoff at about "2". All other settings are the same. The cutoff is pulled down during the descending run, and swept open towards the very end.

I don't know what MIDI editor you use, but in REAPER you can control-alt-click/drag to draw a diagonal line of chromatic notes, making sure snapping is disabled. Don't worry about getting the notes to conform to any sort of triplet or sixteenth type pattern, just get the approximate slide time right.

Part of the characteristic sound is the slow note decay. Legato notes on the Moog don't retrigger the loudness envelope, so the decay occurs gradually during sustained notes as well as the fast runs of notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Popcorn posted:

To clarify, I'm not trying to emulate brass per se. I just want to create a synth with a similar amp envelope as the one in that Kill Bill example - it's an amp envelope most commonly associated with that sort of brass, so that's why I used the brass example.

edit: I'm also just generally trying to learn about synths generally, particularly envelopes.

The Access Virus envelopes have a "Time" parameter after the sustain (ADS[T]R) which can accomplish a sforzando-type swell. Once the signal decays to the sustain level, the Time knob sets how quickly the signal will rise to the maximum again or fall to the minimum. This was a pretty cool feature that I've never seen on other synths, and which they went and buried in the menu on the newer versions.

• Locked thread