Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm still not sure how to structure this op and I'm always looking for suggestions. With that out of the way welcome to the second motorcycle question thread. This thread is meant to be a place where you can ask a question about motorcycling that is not involved enough to deserve its own thread. With that said, this is NOT the place the chat about motorcycles.

From the last thread:

Sigtrap posted:

Stop using this thread as a chat room. It's for stupid/newbie questions, and at the rate it's growing it's useless. As I said before, if you want to chat about motorcycle poo poo, START A NEW THREAD.

Now with that out of the way, here are some links to other places and threads to help out with your questions.

First, consult the motorbike wiki as a precaution.

Q: I'm about to take my MSF and I'm scared, what should I do to not gently caress up?
A: Go here to read other's first hand experiences along with tips and tricks for making the MSF more enjoyable and to help you prepare.

Q: What should I get for a first bike? A 600cc supersport is okay rite??
A: Here is our answer to that question. Now if you want real advice about what first bike you should get go here.

Q: I found a bike that I think won't kill me, but I don't know if the bike is a good deal?
A: Kdc67 has started a thread just to help out with that very question. Its located here.

Q: What do you think about this jacket? These Boots? Pants?!?
A: We have a bike gear thread to answer all your questions about protective apparel while on your motorcycle machine.

Q: Where can I go to read about motorcycle products and..."stuff".
A: I've been turned onto Web Bike World by people on here. Lots of great product reviews to let you know whats out there.

Q: I can't see poo poo at night!
A: I have a thread started here dealing with lighting on motorcycles that may benefit you.

If I may add this suggestion, we get a lot of carburetor questions, and they are usually answered by Nerobro and Z3n. A separate thread may be in order for just that subject alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
What is a good foam I can shape and then lay fiberglass over? I want to make a custom tail section, but I don't want my foam disintegrating when I put resin on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
From the previous thread:

quote:

A buddy of mine is having some strange issues with his Ninja 250. He went down lightly at fairly low speed a week ago, with only very cosmetic damage. He rode for a week or so, and then one day last week, the bike was basically dead. He ordered a new battery, and in the meantime he charged the battery just to be sure. He was getting over 13v with the key on, and barely over 13 with a blinker going.. Now, here's the weird part.. His neutral indicator doesn't work at all, and neither does the oil light, and the starter doesn't do anything either.. He was told to check the fuses, which were all okay. The battery is a few years old too.

Does this sound like something besides the battery or no? The neutral light and oil lights are just very weird.

I had that problem when I blew a fuse. It's possible that something could be grounding out. Has he tried wiggling the key and checked ALL of the connectors? Something could have worked it's way loose...(junction box, ECU, etc). I'd bet on a broken wire somewhere in the ignition circuit.

Does he have a repair manual? If he doesn't, I can send him mine as I don't need them anymore, just give me address.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

TheFonz posted:

What is a good foam I can shape and then lay fiberglass over? I want to make a custom tail section, but I don't want my foam disintegrating when I put resin on it.

Use the green foam they use in plant arrangements. Very easy to shape and doesn't melt in acetone (or fiberglass resin).

VV Chains and strait cut gears. Bikes tend to have plenty of both.

obso fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 5, 2008

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I asked this in the stupid questions megathread, but didn't get an answer. I've owned one bike, but I don't know the answer. What makes that distinct mechanical whine/scream you hear coming form bikes, mostly supersports? Is it the transmission gears, gear driven cams, or what?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
From previous thread:

quote:

As for bikes, I have a strong preference for cruisers, and made the following list of candidates based mainly on them not being the crazy top of the line bikes with way more HP and weight than I think I can safely use. I'd appreciate any feedback on this list. I've looked at many of these bikes in person and I like them a lot, so unless the list is batshit insane I think it's likely I would buy something from it in the next few months.

Honda Shadow Aero
Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Suzuki Boulevard M50
Suzuki Boulevard C50
Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer
Yamaha V-Star 950
Yamaha V-Star Silverado
Yamaha V-Star Classic

One final stupid question -- if you get a cruiser bike (not the touring kind), is it possible to carry *anything* that won't fit in a pocket, or do you basically have to have a car if you ever want to go get a few groceries or pick up some office supplies or take your laptop somewhere? How safe is it to ride wearing a backpack or a shoulder laptop bag (diagonally across the back)?

Also look at the Vulcan 500, an older 800 (is there a 750?), or, possibly, a Vulcan 900.

I carry stuff in my backpack sometimes (but I don't like having hard things in there), a tail bag, and/or a duffel bag tied to my luggage rack. You can also get saddle bags.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster
How do I check my tire pressure? yeah I'm dumb but should I have the tires at the suggested numbers when they're cold or hot?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Petekill posted:

I asked this in the stupid questions megathread, but didn't get an answer. I've owned one bike, but I don't know the answer. What makes that distinct mechanical whine/scream you hear coming form bikes, mostly supersports? Is it the transmission gears, gear driven cams, or what?

Most of the time it's the chain. They are louder when well lubed.

Anuv, for street use, tires should be checked cold. It's also worth noting that pressures should range from 32 to 38 PSI for street use with normal load. I run 36f and 38r in all situations on the street. My experience is that lower pressures do not increase stick but do increase tire wear significantly.

Track use is 50/50 if they are done hot or cold. All the high end track tires are ideally checked at both to measure the increase from cold to hot. Ideal increase is from 5 to 7 PSI.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 5, 2008

Anonymous Name
Apr 25, 2006

by Fragmaster
How is the reliability of new BMWs? Specifically the R1200RT looks pretty nice but I don't know if there are still problems with things like the shaft drive breaking. I have read that routine maintenance (e.g. oil changes) is still fairly complicated and possibly best left to the dealer, but I can accept that if the bike doesn't actually break down.

Angus
Aug 19, 2004
I have a 2005 VTR1000F (Superhawk in the USA, Firestorm here in Australia) with 32,000 km on the clock, which runs quite poorly when cold.

It won't idle with just the choke, it needs a bit of throttle too. Every 5 to 10 seconds it will misfire (I think this is what is happening) -- instead of a normal "boom" of a cylinder firing it just sounds like a very loud cough or puff. Once it's up to temperature it's fine -- no misfiring, idles at 1000 rpm no worries. I have noticed maybe one or two times I've heard the same "misfire" sound when it's up to temperature, but not anywhere near as often as when it's cold.

I was thinking it's either a damaged/misadjusted carb or spark plugs. I'm going to replace the plugs. I'm not really confident in dismantling the carbs (though I do have a service manual for it) as this is my only method of transport. Is there anything else I might be missing?

Angus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 5, 2008

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Humper posted:

One final stupid question -- if you get a cruiser bike (not the touring kind), is it possible to carry *anything* that won't fit in a pocket, or do you basically have to have a car if you ever want to go get a few groceries or pick up some office supplies or take your laptop somewhere? How safe is it to ride wearing a backpack or a shoulder laptop bag (diagonally across the back)?

I had a pair of soft saddlebags that I split 20kgs between for long rides. As long as the weight was at least semi-balanced it didn't affect the handling too much, although the bike did accelerate notably faster without the weight. One of those racks on the back + a bungee cord would be ideal for a laptop bag. I'm not sure I'd try riding with a messenger-type bag though, it might shift around, which could potentially distract you.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Anuv posted:

How do I check my tire pressure? yeah I'm dumb but should I have the tires at the suggested numbers when they're cold or hot?

Most tires say right on them, but the numbers are cold pressure suggestions.

edit for Z3n: actually, i meant the tires say that the numbers are cold fill numbers. If in doubt, you should always use the manufacturer's suggested pressures as written in your manual, not on the sidewall.

mr.belowaverage fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 7, 2008

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I had a pair of soft saddlebags that I split 20kgs between for long rides. As long as the weight was at least semi-balanced it didn't affect the handling too much, although the bike did accelerate notably faster without the weight. One of those racks on the back + a bungee cord would be ideal for a laptop bag. I'm not sure I'd try riding with a messenger-type bag though, it might shift around, which could potentially distract you.

Don't try riding with a bag that doesn't have two straps attached to your shoulders. Anything else is gonna move or just feel like poo poo.

Also, my question. I want a bike for just general cruising, have riding experience, all that good stuff. Now, I love more "standard" bikes, so I was considering picking up an older V-Max, cause the couple I've been on were amazing fun. And with the right exhaust I swear they sound like a goddamn cammed small block. Anyway, any of you guys have experience with them or have a recomendation for a bike in the same vein that may be cheaper or more fun?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I've found courier bags aren't a problem. I commute with one daily and take it on longer solo rides, as well. No shifting or distractions and it provides a great place to stash your camera, clear visor and another layer of clothes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

Most tires say right on them, but the numbers are cold pressure suggestions.

The numbers that the tires say on them are the max load ratings. You don't want to use that unless you're approaching the max loaded weight of the bike (ie, 2 up touring with luggage or 2 really big people).

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
With the cold weather hitting us, how do you guys handle cold weather riding, more specifiically your legs? I don't have any riding pants so I'm stuck riding with normal jeans right now, would some thermals work well? Along with my jacket, a sweatshirt and some underarmour ski mask I have my upper body all set.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shaitan posted:

With the cold weather hitting us, how do you guys handle cold weather riding, more specifiically your legs? I don't have any riding pants so I'm stuck riding with normal jeans right now, would some thermals work well? Along with my jacket, a sweatshirt and some underarmour ski mask I have my upper body all set.

Pick up a set of textile overpants. The sort that have an inner liner as well.

Or if you get really cold, pick up some heated gear. Heat grips are a must, at least, because they're all of 30$, and they're dead simple to install.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 5, 2008

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a suggestion for tires for a '04 Ninja 500? I'm not sure what to get at all.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Z3n posted:

Pick up a set of lined textile overpants. The sort that have an inner liner as well.

How much does somethign like this usually set you back? I figure I have about another month of solid riding left so I won't be riding in the freezing cold so heated gear wouldn't be worth it. I'm in upstate, NY

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shaitan posted:

How much does somethign like this usually set you back? I figure I have about another month of solid riding left so I won't be riding in the freezing cold so heated gear wouldn't be worth it. I'm in upstate, NY

Around 100$...http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

My g/f has the women's version of those and likes them. I can't find the Tour Master ones that I have that were 100$.

Protection and insulation all in one. :) And I strongly recommend heated grips...They're one of the best bang for the buck items you can buy on a motorcycle.

I'd run pirelli sport demons on the ninja 500.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 5, 2008

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Z3n posted:

Around 100$...http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

My g/f has the women's version of those and likes them. I can't find the Tour Master ones that I have that were 100$.

Protection and insulation all in one. :) And I strongly recommend heated grips...They're one of the best bang for the buck items you can buy on a motorcycle.

Yeah, I was planning on getting real riding pants next season, but right now I don't have $100 to spend. Thanks though, I'll give some heated grips a looksie.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Would I be incredibly dumb to grab a Buell XB9R Firebolt as a first bike?

I read through the Wiki and see that the Suzuki SV650 is borderline as a first bike and the Buell is only slightly more powerful than that. And it gives me a hardon just to look at it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/866274530.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

JaySB posted:

The SV650 is to fast. Just barely. Going with a faster bike isn't a better idea. Worse than that, the Buells are very very sharp bikes. They're easier to get in trouble with than just about every other bike on the market.

That said... I really liked my time on a Buell. :-)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

I read through the Wiki and see that the Suzuki SV650 is borderline as a first bike and the Buell is only slightly more powerful than that. And it gives me a hardon just to look at it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/866274530.html

Not incredibly stupid, more like just stupid. The biggest issue with the big twin is that it will be very sensative to throttle inputs, even at lower RPM, simply because of how much grunt the engine has from just off idle. And with 60-ish foot pounds of torque, even at lower RPM, you're going to be able to power wheelie it off the throttle in first gear alone, plus the engine braking will be monsterous.

I'd strongly push you in the direction of something else. Buy a cheap beater and pick up the Buell as a 2nd bike.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
Question about throttle response. I've been trying to be smooth with my throttle control since I started riding. One thing that I've noticed was that when I slowly roll on the throttle, the RPMS go up correspondingly. However, when I slowly roll off the throttle, I see a much quicker decline in RPMS...almost too quick.

Is this normal for an '88 ZX600 Ninja (C1), or do my carbs need syncing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Polynomial posted:

Question about throttle response. I've been trying to be smooth with my throttle control since I started riding. One thing that I've noticed was that when I slowly roll on the throttle, the RPMS go up correspondingly. However, when I slowly roll off the throttle, I see a much quicker decline in RPMS...almost too quick.

Is this normal for an '88 ZX600 Ninja (C1), or do my carbs need syncing?

No, that's normal. The engine has to do work to increase RPM, but doesn't to decrease it. That's one of those things that weirded me out when I went to the 929...the RPM would drop so quickly compared to my ZX-6E that I'd always think that the bike had died.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

Not incredibly stupid, more like just stupid. The biggest issue with the big twin is that it will be very sensative to throttle inputs, even at lower RPM, simply because of how much grunt the engine has from just off idle. And with 60-ish foot pounds of torque, even at lower RPM, you're going to be able to power wheelie it off the throttle in first gear alone, plus the engine braking will be monsterous.

I'd strongly push you in the direction of something else. Buy a cheap beater and pick up the Buell as a 2nd bike.

Thanks for the input. And what's up fellow Santa Barbara goon.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
What's the easiest way to get bugs off of a textile jacket?

Edit edit: Moved my other questions somewhere else, because hey there's a thread for them.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 6, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, after doing 200 miles in the pouring rain in 40 degree weather, I've decided two things. One, the bark busters are staying on the Bandit. Two, I need grip heaters.

I've seen lots of grip heater discussion in these threads, but I've always skimmed past it and not paid attention, because I wasnt interested in them at the time.

What are some good grip heaters? What should I be looking for that makes one set better than another?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Well, after doing 200 miles in the pouring rain in 40 degree weather, I've decided two things. One, the bark busters are staying on the Bandit. Two, I need grip heaters.

I've seen lots of grip heater discussion in these threads, but I've always skimmed past it and not paid attention, because I wasnt interested in them at the time.

What are some good grip heaters? What should I be looking for that makes one set better than another?

Depends on how much you want to spend. I used the cheap ones, which were just generic heated grip elements, with a 3 way toggle switch.

These: http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/grips__heated_grips/symtec/motorcycle_grip_heaters.html

The nicer ones will have better controllers than just a 3 way switch, and in many cases are built into a set of grips. I found that the generic ones were quite good enough for my purposes.

If you don't already have a distribution block set up, I highly recommend doing that too:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Z3n posted:

I'd run pirelli sport demons on the ninja 500.

That's what I have on my ninja, they do nicely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sklnd posted:

What's the easiest way to get bugs off of a textile jacket?

I have a white Icon textile that only stays that way for a day or two. When it gets totally covered in bugs I just throw it in the washing machine and it comes out like new.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Thirding the sport demons on the 500. I'm running them on mine and I love them, not a single complaint. They warm up pretty quick and handle very well in the wet as well.

Also for personal luggage on a bike (Backpacks and such) I would highly recommend a sturdy two strap pack if you're trip is going to have any sort of length to it. I ride with both a normal backpack and a 20x30 over arm portfolio to class daily and let me tell you if the ride was any more than 5 miles, my neck would end up getting sore. Obviously the 20x30" over shoulder portfolio is a bit extreme(damned art school) and a messenger bag would be less stress, I would still go double strapped on long distances.

For riding in the cold; layer up and full tuck whenever possible as it really helps get the wind off of you.

My question is that my front left turn signal has gone out and I can't find the freaking bulb to replace it. Like the jackhole the PO of the bike was he replaced the stock front signals with clear flush mount signals. I cannot find a proper sized amber bulb for the life of me. Is there any way to special order single bulbs online or maybe even like a bulb paint so I could paint clears an amber tint because everyone seems to carry the freaking clear. I'm sick of the quick blink of an out bulb.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Can anyone recommend some regular old grips for my 99' SV650? The ones I have are pretty worn down and getting sticky for some reason.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Can anyone recommend some regular old grips for my 99' SV650? The ones I have are pretty worn down and getting sticky for some reason.

I actually really, really like the stock SV grips. I'd go to a local cycle shop and poke a couple different sets though until you find something that you really like. My friend has some of the huge foam ones on his KLR and while i'd hate them on any other bike, I love them on that bike, and I use the thinnest ones possible on my trackbike. Streetbikes get something with a little more squish.

Trintintin would it be possible to go back to stock signals? Or maybe contact someone who supplies clear turn signals, like http://www.clearalternatives.com/?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a good site to order Pirelli's from? Since tire express doesn't carry them.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone have a good site to order Pirelli's from? Since tire express doesn't carry them.

Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers, SW Mototire should all carry them.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Skier posted:

Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers, SW Mototire should all carry them.

https://www.ema-usa.com

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

If you look carefully, sometimes ebay can have some great deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!
Is it just me or are aftermarket pipes overpriced? When I get the bike I want in a year or two I'd like to get this nice set of Zards. The thing is they're $1200! For slip-ons! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just a tube, some holes drilled in it, wrapped with insulation and put in a can? I know they've got to make a profit but this seems like a big markup. Tell me there's more to it than that.