Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
His points in the video were that CE2 rated armor is certified at half the impact force of what it takes to cause a fracture, and then cited studies that had self-reported data regarding injuries showing that it doesn't appear to do much. But there's a bias in that, as it doesn't capture people who didn't get injured due to the armor doing its thing. But he, rightfully in my opinion, calls out the A/AA/AAA rating system as a whole since nothing would get certified at that level without armor installed and wishes there were armor options that were twice as strong as what CE2 certifies for.

I guess we all decide what we want to wear. I'll still have my CE2 pads in nearly everything, I'll still be head to toe in boots/pants/jacket/gloves/helmet for virtually every ride. But even still, more rides than not I'm picking a short cuff glove and low or mid-height boots/shoes over the track-ready gauntlets and tall boots and half the time I'm leaving the airbag vest at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The chalkboard says you're a fuckin' nerd, Ryan.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My generous read is that it’s a useful data point when you’re wavering between your gear without pads or no gear at all.

Like when I’m riding my scooter and my legs aren’t between the bike and the ground. Maybe instead of street clothes with no protection I could opt for riding jeans without the armor when my legs are behind a cowl in a step through.

Watching it made me consider better -not no - armor. Which is already something I’d been thinking about anyway.

I mean, poo poo. Having knee pads is nice just for checking my tire pressure before I leave.

Bennett’s BikeSocial already appears to have a response video I haven’t watched yet.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If someone were wavering between less or ore protection, I'd tell them to err on the side of caution. Especially if it's a minor discomfort at most.
Maybe it's just my personal reaction, but I definitely get "it's not worth it" vibes from the video. He gives a very milquetoast defense of wearing armor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That video was dumb as poo poo. It came across as "I don't want to wear armor because it doesn't look cool" and then coming up with a reason to justify it. It would be like doing a video about how "well actually according to this one study, DOT brain buckets are just as effective at preventing skull fracture as full face, which is why I choose to wear one on my chopper and it has nothing to do with fashion because fashion is gay."

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I also err on the side of caution, like 95% of the time.

The real question I came away with: Where can I get horse girl armor that fits in my Rev’it pockets?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

its all nice on rice posted:

Not sure if this should go in the discussion thread or gear thread since it pertains to gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINIJ1cAbYM
Haven't watched it yet but did notice it was posted on April 1st...

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

One of the worst, if not the worst F9 videos ever. If they would've posted it on the 1st of April, i'd have enjoyed it more.
There are more outcomes between 'broken bone' and 'completely unharmed' like 'badly bruised' and 'horribly impacted ligaments' that may very well be prevented by the armor in less heavy impacts.

Also, i feel badass riding around all armored and such. Makes me look much more buff than i actually am. I don't get the push for moto gear that looks incredibly plain and like ordinary clothes, unless you commute and have no place to swap your clothes at work. Very convenient for such situations, but when you ride for fun? Eh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My takeaway is that i need to buy some of the armor pads that horse riders use.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Riding a motorcycle gives you a very valid reason to dress up like some kind of cool fighter pilot, why wouldn’t you take it?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Having watched the Bennett’s BikeSocial response now, it’s full of much better info.

https://youtu.be/NOJxubCS0wM?si=YZd2S6PxiZ3r9Jgw

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

bizwank posted:

Haven't watched it yet but did notice it was posted on April 1st...

He makes sure to let people know it's not a joke video.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

CongoJack posted:

Riding a motorcycle gives you a very valid reason to dress up like some kind of cool fighter pilot, why wouldn’t you take it?

This.

You get to gear up and wear armour then ride a motorcycle. We might get bug splatters, cars trying to kill us, rained on, freezing cold or melting in the heat, but we get to wear gear that protects us AND makes us feel like some future soldier with armour plating.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Dressing up like a Space Lord from the REV'IT! sector is a feature not a bug, IMHO.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

The chalkboard says you're a fuckin' nerd, Ryan.

:hmmyes:

Ryan F9 is probably smarter than the average person but assumes he is also smarter than everyone, and no one around him ever tells him to just shut the gently caress up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Great Explainer

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I kind of want a one piece suit just to look as dorky as possible.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Wrong thread but I'm leaving it here.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ryan f9 sucks, imo

There, I said it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

more like Fart9

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
their Suzuki Bergman video was great :colbert:

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Do it, then hire a harley road King or a Goldwing for the day.

Make sure it's got motogp logos all over the suit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MSPain posted:

their Suzuki Bergman video was great :colbert:

broken clock, etc

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Many years ago when I started watching Ryan F9 videos, they were among a very small handful of channels that would actually say negative things about motorcycles and motorcycle gear. The vast majority of such youtubers are bought and paid for, just secondary/tertiary advertisers to whom manufacturers send money and products to “review”. It was incredibly refreshing to hear someone speak honestly about bikes and gear, especially as an actual legit distributor with the funding to purchase the products they were reviewing. It didn’t hurt that they put some modicum of effort into the production value of the videos (instead of a guy at a parts desk just yammering aimlessly with bad lighting and worse audio). I wondered at the time what it cost FortNine in terms of supplier/manufacturer relationships when they poo poo on some brands/models, but the benefit was they gained a subscriber that trusted them, and boy have I spent a truckload of money on them (I’m Canadian).

Something definitely changed a year or two ago, the videos are being released more frequently, they’re shorter, they’re about non-motorcycle things (mountain bikes are cool but that’s not why I’m here), they’re over-produced (just give me the content, I’m not here to watch a movie), and they’re getting weird (take the armor out of my jacket…?).

Maybe this is just the inevitability of popularity, more money and ego ruin what got you there in the first place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ryan f9 sucks, imo

There, I said it.

Let's look at the science

Hmm checks out :hmmyes:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

epswing posted:

Many years ago when I started watching Ryan F9 videos, they were among a very small handful of channels that would actually say negative things about motorcycles and motorcycle gear. The vast majority of such youtubers are bought and paid for, just secondary/tertiary advertisers to whom manufacturers send money and products to “review”. It was incredibly refreshing to hear someone speak honestly about bikes and gear, especially as an actual legit distributor with the funding to purchase the products they were reviewing. It didn’t hurt that they put some modicum of effort into the production value of the videos (instead of a guy at a parts desk just yammering aimlessly with bad lighting and worse audio). I wondered at the time what it cost FortNine in terms of supplier/manufacturer relationships when they poo poo on some brands/models, but the benefit was they gained a subscriber that trusted them, and boy have I spent a truckload of money on them (I’m Canadian).

Something definitely changed a year or two ago, the videos are being released more frequently, they’re shorter, they’re about non-motorcycle things (mountain bikes are cool but that’s not why I’m here), they’re over-produced (just give me the content, I’m not here to watch a movie), and they’re getting weird (take the armor out of my jacket…?).

Maybe this is just the inevitability of popularity, more money and ego ruin what got you there in the first place.

They started selling mountain bike stuff on the website from what I understand which is why the content is there. Which makes sense but I understand that if people dont click on that video. I do both so it was interesting for me. The 7k mtb vs 7k motorcycle video was kind of cool look at both industries.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Russian Bear posted:

They started selling mountain bike stuff on the website from what I understand which is why the content is there. Which makes sense but I understand that if people dont click on that video. I do both so it was interesting for me. The 7k mtb vs 7k motorcycle video was kind of cool look at both industries.

I didn’t realize they’d really gotten into the MTB world (but why else would they be producing content for it), I could’ve easily checked the website. Fair point.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ryan f9 sucks, imo

There, I said it.

nah hes a dorky tryhard but hes also an affable canadian so it kinda evens out. hes still better than 99.9% of "moto vloggers" including a fair bit of what revzilla puts out. also revzilla sucks now too so everything sucks now i guess

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Hello from an Aerostich wearer. I know I look like a massive nerd, but it's nice being able to just have street clothes underneath when I arrive somewhere for lunch. I just roll it into a side case and don't have to deal with kneepads and such when I walk around. It extends my riding season much longer once things start going below 50 F. I do however usually revert to a mesh jacket and riding jeans from June-August.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 4, 2024

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I feel like motorcycle stuff is like gym stuff. People assume it’s to be badass and get girls but it’s a bunch of chill dorks standing around like ‘yeah man we look awesome.’

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motorcycles only attract dudes.

Raw gay horsepower and all

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

the only woman who ever complimented my bike was gay as hell so this checks out. she is also fuckin awesome so idgaf just ride and be cool to other people but also nerdy as hell because the only people who suck are the ones who dont wave back.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Waved to a guy on a ruckus today.

I want a ruckus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Always wave to scooters :colbert:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I wave to all scooters, trikes, bicycles even sometimes though I think that just confuses bicyclists

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

Waved to a guy on a ruckus today.

I want a ruckus.

hell yeah qlso buy the yellow bike it rules

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Two wheels gets a wave.

Yes I am including steamrollers

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

You need a cacophony

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wave to all scooters, trikes, bicycles even sometimes though I think that just confuses bicyclists

So anything not a car pretty much?
I guess it depends on where you live, waves must necessarily be reserved for relatively novel forms of transportation or else everyone would be riding one-handed in Hanoi. Where I live you must be 18 to drive a car, but at 15 you can ride a 50cc. As a consequence there's tons of kids on scooters when the weather is decent and I admit not waving to them all in city riding. The kids don't wave to each other either, though some return the salute. I've been told by other riders "we don't wave at mopeds" but I don't judge by displacement myself, it's more a situational thing. When I ride my cargo bike I wave at other cargo bikes trying to establish such a culture but it's not been taking off thus far, while Mazda MX5 drivers definitely do wave at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Jeep wave