Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

The advantage of a DRZ over some KTM's is it is actually possible to keep the front wheel on the ground. You can bring the DRZ's up without any problem, fling it, jump it, stoppie it and drift the crap out of it, within days of owning one really if you have riding experience. But it can also be pretty docile while being stupid amounts of fun. The more serious motards are all the more likely to get you arrested. You can talk yourself out of a speeding ticket, but you cant talk yourself out of a 'I was 5 feet in the air on accident!' situation.

I'm having a really hard time making the decision between the two for just that reason. If I were an illogical man I'd have already bought this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/911951823.html Alas, my desire to keep my license (and savings) is preventing me from jumping on it immediately and keeps me looking at DRZs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Simkin posted:

Erm... Collision avoidance?

Wow I just pictured riding over the hood and roof of the volvo that almost hit me last week in a DRZ instead of braking with by Buell.

Spiffness posted:

The advantage of a DRZ over some KTM's is it is actually possible to keep the front wheel on the ground. You can bring the DRZ's up without any problem, fling it, jump it, stoppie it and drift the crap out of it, within days of owning one really if you have riding experience. But it can also be pretty docile while being stupid amounts of fun. The more serious motards are all the more likely to get you arrested. You can talk yourself out of a speeding ticket, but you cant talk yourself out of a 'I was 5 feet in the air on accident!' situation.

Hmm, I think that combined with that fact that used DRZs are dirt cheap compared to the KTMs means I'll look for one of those. I won't be too pissed if I drop it and have to fix something, either.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ See? That guy doing a tabletop over the intersection in SF was just being cautious. If he'd been on the ground, he very likely would have been killed.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

pr0zac posted:

I'm having a really hard time making the decision between the two for just that reason. If I were an illogical man I'd have already bought this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/911951823.html Alas, my desire to keep my license (and savings) is preventing me from jumping on it immediately and keeps me looking at DRZs instead.
I ride a KTM 660 SMC, and it's my first big bike, ever. I have not had a single problem with it's power, but also I have huge respect for things that can easily kill me. Just keep in mind that you're riding something that loves to wheelie, and you'll be fine. It's awesome on twisty roads, but sucks for freeway riding (at least imo). As I don't need it for commuting, it's the perfect bike for me and if I had to replace it would be a supermoto as well.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
I found a dirt bike on Craigslist, no title, "lost" key. Asked for the VIN and he said it's 9C6CG043110005988, which doesn't appear to be stolen in anything online. Is this "too good to be true"? What should I do to check if a bike is stolen? What happens if I buy and it turns out to be? What can I do to get it titled to me?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I'm selling my Triumph if anyone knows someone in the bay area who might be interested. Its a great bike, I'm itching for a supermotard though. Would be willing to hook up a goon discount, lets say $2500 or so.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/923328017.html

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

LOLLERZ posted:

I found a dirt bike on Craigslist, no title, "lost" key. Asked for the VIN and he said it's 9C6CG043110005988, which doesn't appear to be stolen in anything online. Is this "too good to be true"? What should I do to check if a bike is stolen? What happens if I buy and it turns out to be? What can I do to get it titled to me?

You could call the local police and ask them...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

LOLLERZ posted:

If it isn't stolen there is a good chance someone sold it without the title because they still had a loan on it. In essence it's stolen but I don't think that the financing companies involve the police, they just go after the original owner. In Washington you need a title/registration in order to get ORV tags to ride in any ORV park.

It's not worth it at all, move on.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Man, why in the everloving gently caress did I not own a balaclava as part of my gear before now? I just had my first ride wearing it, and holy poo poo, what a difference it made. I mean, sure, my hands still required the occasional grope of the engine, and my toes froze off before I even really got going, but having that extra little bit of skin covered (especially my chin, for some reason) just made the ride so much more comfortable. Best $15 I've ever spent on gear, by far.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Simkin posted:

Best $15 I've ever spent on gear, by far.

^This

I tested mine out (and posted about it confusing it with the similar-sounding dessert!) yesterday in mid-40F weather. It was great and I was pretty comfortable riding around.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Motorcycle Riding Causes Impotence study finds.

FakeEdit: Also there is apparently a publication called the 'International Journal of Impotence Research'.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, your post was actually the thing that booted my rear end into picking one up. Thanks!

While obeying all posted speeds, I came across a pair of bikes parked on the side of the road, and was so shocked by one of them that I had to pull over and talk with the owner. It was another ZR-7S! It's definitely the only other one that I've seen in the wild, so I chatted with him for a bit, and then decided that I'd tag along (they were hitting another fairly popular motorcycling road). I took lead for the first bit, but thanks to my summer experience training no0bs, I was able to not be a huge dick and run away from him, or lead him (or his friend, on some old british standard) into wadding up on any of the cold, damp corners.

I definitely wave to every other rider (yeah, you crazy motherfuckers on scoots in near zero temps, too) in the winter, and I've yet to not have my wave returned. :)

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I got pulled over for the first time on the bike today. I had just watched "Busted" on youtube last night, so I was feeling ready to assert my constitutional rights. The cop tried to get me to play "The question game" asking me if I knew what the speed limit was and how fast I was going. I told him I didn't know and wound up with just a warning after he said he clocked me at 72 in a 55. I dunno if any of that made a difference in getting or not getting a ticket. There were a fuckload of cops out today though, it was a bit ridiculous.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Seems to me if you want a supermoto, you should go for the real thing, not an overweight, underpowered pig. The whole point is having a bike that is utterly ridiculous to ride, why should you settle for a DRZ just because of maintenance intervals? If you could only have one bike and wanted a sumo, then sure, get the DRZ. You however have multiple other rides. Get a real, barely street legal moto, and take your trip on one of your other bikes.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 24, 2008

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Simkin posted:

Man, why in the everloving gently caress did I not own a balaclava as part of my gear before now? I just had my first ride wearing it, and holy poo poo, what a difference it made. I mean, sure, my hands still required the occasional grope of the engine, and my toes froze off before I even really got going, but having that extra little bit of skin covered (especially my chin, for some reason) just made the ride so much more comfortable. Best $15 I've ever spent on gear, by far.

If your toes/fingers are getting cold, get some of those disposable checmical-based boot/glove warmers designed for skiers.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I would if I was planning any trip longer than 'just dicking around,' but about the longest distance in any direction I'll likely be going until spring is ~30km. Wool socks and glove liners up the length of time that I retain feeling, and fondling my engine seems to be reasonably effective at retaining feeling in my hands.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Do any of those gel grips help reduce vibration to your wrists? My broken arm/wrist keeps getting aggravated, even a day or so after just a 30 minute ride. The riding gloves that just came today while protective, dont really have much padding on the palms.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Put less weight on your wrists. Also, with time your body becomes accustomed to certain levels of vibration. Grips.. don't really do much. they claim a lot, but any time they make them soft enough to actually do anything, they are then so mushy that your hands cramp up for lack of anything substantial to hold on to.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I really want to track down the kid from my gradeschool that tripped me in the 7th grade and break his kneecap. Arm still hurts to this day :(

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 24, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is ZIRC.net down? I cant seem to connect.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Is ZIRC.net down? I cant seem to connect.

The IRC network has been synirc for like a year now duder

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, mega brain fart, now that you say that, I realize that I've known that for a year or so now.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Do any of those gel grips help reduce vibration to your wrists? My broken arm/wrist keeps getting aggravated, even a day or so after just a 30 minute ride. The riding gloves that just came today while protective, dont really have much padding on the palms.

The gel grips help to a point. They are certainly nicer than 20 something year old hard rubber ones.
Some people fill the inside of the clip ons with BBs to help with the vibration as well.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bugdrvr posted:

The gel grips help to a point. They are certainly nicer than 20 something year old hard rubber ones.
Some people fill the inside of the clip ons with BBs to help with the vibration as well.

I think lead shot works better, more mass.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Lady riders, here's your Harley!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/940268231.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Lady riders, here's your Harley!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/940268231.html

I like how sellers bury the fact that the bike is still being financed and that the "title will be mailed upon completion of payment."

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Welp, I crashed. In true Hurt Report fashion it was all of 1.5 miles away from my house. Someone in a shopping plaza parking lot to my right was trying to make an illegal turn across my lane. I slowed down (WTF are u doin?), made EYE CONTACT WITH THE DRIVER, he slowed and then stopped, I accelerated and waved thank you, and before I could put my waving hand down he had pulled into my lane and stopped in the middle of it perpendicularly. My tires were freezing cold and had squibbed out a moment before under mild acceleration so that coupled with all of a few feet of stopping distance lead me to try to swerve out of the way and finally dump the bike and lowside. He got out of the way and left the scene (there were eyewitnesses but no one got a plate) while I skid at 30-35 MPH down the road. My friend (who was a few cars back) says he saw me throwing my gloves and helmet across the road and cursing the guy out. I was kind of in shock. Still, I went out, lifted my bike off the ground and parked it. I was THIS CLOSE to putting on pants and boots but figured the 2 mile ride to the diner didn't warrant it that particular morning. I got lucky and the road gave me a polite warning for next time. Nothing broken, just sore and rashed up, with my worst injury being my ankle ground down to the bone (ATGATT, kids!). Regardless, I rode the bike the final mile home from the Hospital in a splint just to get over any future fear factor and as one last gently caress you to ATGATT as I won't make the same mistake again.

Lessons learned: Always, always, always wear boots while riding. Rash heals, compound fractures don't always.

I always knew to treat cars like they think I'm invisible, but now I've seen why firsthand. Even visual confirmation that someone sees you and is acting accordingly doesn't mean poo poo. People do stupid things, especially when there's a motorcycle around. I won't trust anyone but myself in the future.

All in all I'm glad it happened and I learned some valuable lessons. Not really interested in any pontificating on the topic of ATGATT, so please save it. I'm still of the opinion that people should be allowed to take their own life into their hands without the intervention of others whom it doesn't affect directly. I smoke cigarettes, too. If you're not a friend or relative, please save it. I'm well aware that I put myself at risk and I take responsibility for it.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Sorry to hear about your crash, hows the bike?

Before i even rode a bike i thought other riders where overreacting about how cars take no notice of them, but now that i actually ride i notice it everyday. The thing that annoys me most is when they see me coming and they slow down, but then decide "No i can make it if im quick" and then speed up to try and get out before me. Sheer stupidity.

For anyone interested i submitted this to MCN the other week.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/user/2008/November/Reflections-of-a-19-year-old-idiot/?&R=EPI-104094

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

fronkpies posted:

Before i even rode a bike i thought other riders where overreacting about how cars take no notice of them, but now that i actually ride i notice it everyday. The thing that annoys me most is when they see me coming and they slow down, but then decide "No i can make it if im quick" and then speed up to try and get out before me.

YES, THIS IS THE WORST. CHRIST. gently caress.

Bike's fine by the way. Like I said I rode it home. Aftermarket windshield/front fairing thing got smashed up but other than that it's just the bar ends.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

crash

Glad you came out of it mostly ok. People are loving stupid.

On the ATGATT note, I didn't wear my boots when riding the 4 miles to/from work until recently when it started getting dark before I left work. In hindsight, that was a pretty stupid thing to do since now I just leave a pair of shoes at work and change when I get in. Probably going to start wearing pants too now that I actually have a pair. Jeans don't hold up to pavement worth a poo poo.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

redscare posted:

Jeans don't hold up to pavement worth a poo poo.

I basically assumed this as well but my double thick Carharrts only have a couple of tiny holes to show from the accident. They protected really well...can't really explain why. It probably has a lot to do with how I fell. I was also lucky enough to not even scuff my (expensive) helmet.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Glad you're (mostly) ok. Too bad nobody got a plate on the guy. What a fucker.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I basically assumed this as well but my double thick Carharrts only have a couple of tiny holes to show from the accident. They protected really well...can't really explain why. It probably has a lot to do with how I fell. I was also lucky enough to not even scuff my (expensive) helmet.

You got lucky and rolled more than you slide. They didn't protect well.

Glad you're ok, though. Consider investing in some cheap offroading knee/shin guards if you wanna be able to look relatively normal while still being somewhat geared up.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Jeans are definitely not the way to go for protection. After a ~50kph lowside I had, my jeans looked fine, but I had rash where they moved around on me while sliding. On the plus side, they do take a bit more effort to set on fire :v:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Reminder for you riding goons: CHECK YOUR MIRRORS. Crazies can hit you from behind too.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20081203/NEWS/812031014/1002?Title=Police__Driver_hit_2_cars__scooter_before_stopping

quote:

Police: Driver hit 2 cars, scooter before stopping

A University of Florida student, critically injured Tuesday by a car that apparently caused two crashes on W. University Avenue north of UF, remained hospitalized Wednesday, police reported.

Michael R. Van Wagner, 22, of Sparr, still was in critical condition, said spokeswoman Officer Summer Hallett. Police early Wednesday said Van Wagner had undergone surgery.

According to the Gainesville Police Department, the incident began at about 12:45 p.m. when Monica Renee Toliver, 40, of Gainesville was driving a 1993 green Lincoln Town Car in the righthand lane and heading east on University Avenue. She reportedly hit the back of a Gainesville Regional Utilities truck and continued eastbound on the sidewalk before returning to the street. The GRU truck was slightly damaged, police said, and the occupants were apparently not injured.

Then, about 100 yards west of NW 17th Street, Toliver apparently hit Van Wagner, who was riding a scooter and not wearing a helmet.

Hallett said Van Wagner and his scooter were pushed into the intersection, where Margaret Bridges, 54, was making a lefthand turn in her 2001 red, Dodge pickup. As Bridges was turning south, the impact of being hit by the Lincoln pushed Van Wagner into the truck. Bridges was not seriously injured.

Hallett said Van Wagner received life-threatening head injuries and was immediately taken to Shands at UF to be treated by the trauma team. He was in critical condition Tuesday night.

After hitting the scooter, Toliver continued east through the intersection, coming to a stop about a block away, witnesses told police. Toliver reportedly told police that her car rolled to a stop. Crime scene technicians noted that both front airbags had deployed on the Lincoln and there was extensive front-end damage to the car.

Hallett said Toliver "showed no obvious signs of impairment on scene, therefore a DUI investigation was not initiated." However, she did submit to having blood drawn for analysis and was allowed to leave the scene.

A woman who identified herself as Toliver's mother answered the phone at Toliver's home Tuesday evening and said Toliver would not be commenting on the crashes.

Charges pending against Toliver included two counts of hit-and-run - one for leaving the scene of an accident with serious injury and one for leaving the scene of an accident with property damage. Hallett said Toliver is also likely to be charged with careless or wreckless driving.

The crashes shut down the righthand, eastbound lane of University Avenue adjacent to UF for several hours as the scenes were processed for evidence.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

bang

Glad you are walking and talking. No chance to find the guy?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Ola posted:

Glad you are walking and talking. No chance to find the guy?

We'll see. It was near a couple of banks so hopefully a camera picked something up.

The worst part about this is a bit I heard from my friend upon leaving the ER. Apparently after the bike was ALREADY PARKED one of the cops on the scene managed to knock my bike over on the other side and bend the bar end, etc. What a loving rear end. Didn't even have the balls to own up to it.

As a sidenote: how do bar ends on a bike work exactly? Are they the same on every bike? Like, how is it threaded, what is the screw bonded to (if anything). Basically I'm trying to find out what I need to fix the bent bar ends on each side of my handlebars without taking them off to see only to find I can't put them back on again.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

Reminder for you riding goons: CHECK YOUR MIRRORS. Crazies can hit you from behind too.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20081203/NEWS/812031014/1002?Title=Police__Driver_hit_2_cars__scooter_before_stopping

Also wear a loving helmet. That dude probably wouldn't be an inch away from death if he was wearing a lid.

loving Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

We'll see. It was near a couple of banks so hopefully a camera picked something up.

The worst part about this is a bit I heard from my friend upon leaving the ER. Apparently after the bike was ALREADY PARKED one of the cops on the scene managed to knock my bike over on the other side and bend the bar end, etc. What a loving rear end. Didn't even have the balls to own up to it.

As a sidenote: how do bar ends on a bike work exactly? Are they the same on every bike? Like, how is it threaded, what is the screw bonded to (if anything). Basically I'm trying to find out what I need to fix the bent bar ends on each side of my handlebars without taking them off to see only to find I can't put them back on again.

On my SV650N, the screw tightens a nut against a rubber bushing, which expands and holds the thing inside the handlebar tube. On my SV650S, it's just a threaded hole in the clipon that the screw goes into.