Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Crash

drat, it almost sounds like the guy did it on purpose. Hope you heal soon and it's too bad you couldn't follow him and maybe punch him in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Zenaida posted:

On my SV650N, the screw tightens a nut against a rubber bushing, which expands and holds the thing inside the handlebar tube. On my SV650S, it's just a threaded hole in the clipon that the screw goes into.

My 650S has the bushings in the clipons...

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

TheFonz posted:

My 650S has the bushings in the clipons...

Second gen? Mine's first.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
yea second.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Attention anyone who doesn't own a DRZ400SM or similar supermotard. You should go buy one tomorrow unless you have some sort of allergic reaction to having fun. I've done more wheelies, stoppies, and jumps in the last two hours than I had in the previous two years. Tonight was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels and I don't think I went above 50mph the whole time. Excuse me while I go figure out how to remove the grin that is now permanently attached to my face.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motards are like motorcycle crack.

Just wait, the DRZ has a whole world of fun poo poo you thought you'd never do in store for you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Am I completely missing out on this fun because I have a DR650? I am seriously thinking about dropping the $1100 for SM wheels when it comes time for new tires :q:

Edit: I'm having insane amounts of fun too - but I haven't worked up to a stoppie yet

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

redscare posted:

Also wear a loving helmet. That dude probably wouldn't be an inch away from death if he was wearing a lid.

loving Florida.

It's not just Florida. My aunt and uncle just bought scooters. They showed me a picture of them on them. 'Don't we look cute?'

They were wearing those stupid half helmets and no other gear. I tried to explain why this was a bad idea but they weren't having any of it.

I'll have to cross my fingers and hope they don't get hit. I wish you had to get a license for those drat things.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Oakey posted:

It's not just Florida. My aunt and uncle just bought scooters. They showed me a picture of them on them. 'Don't we look cute?'

They were wearing those stupid half helmets and no other gear. I tried to explain why this was a bad idea but they weren't having any of it.

I'll have to cross my fingers and hope they don't get hit. I wish you had to get a license for those drat things.

I'm pretty sure they do have to get licenses for those things.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Am I completely missing out on this fun because I have a DR650? I am seriously thinking about dropping the $1100 for SM wheels when it comes time for new tires :q:

Edit: I'm having insane amounts of fun too - but I haven't worked up to a stoppie yet

The DR650 isn't THAT much heavier than the drz400 I dont think. I vote yes on the SM conversion. And I bet you could find wheels for cheaper than that on Craigslist.

My doing stoppies was more a result of slamming on the brakes hard while riding around like a crazy person and accidentally lifting the back end, then trying it again on purpose a few dozen more times.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Z3n posted:

I'm pretty sure they do have to get licenses for those things.

In Florida, no license is required for a scooter under 50cc that can't exceed 39mph(I think).

Also, people think Florida is a "no helmet" state, but you are required to wear a helmet unless you have a certain (large) amount of medical insurance. Florida also recently mandated that the MSF course is mandatory for new motorcycle endorsements.

It's a step in the right direction, except they also skyrocketed penalties for excessive speeding, wheelies, stoppies, and improper display of the license plate (all now $1000 fines).

loving Florida.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrKatharsis posted:

In Florida, no license is required for a scooter under 50cc that can't exceed 39mph(I think).

Also, people think Florida is a "no helmet" state, but you are required to wear a helmet unless you have a certain (large) amount of medical insurance. Florida also recently mandated that the MSF course is mandatory for new motorcycle endorsements.

It's a step in the right direction, except they also skyrocketed penalties for excessive speeding, wheelies, stoppies, and improper display of the license plate (all now $1000 fines).

loving Florida.

Are there even any scoots under 50ccs that people would refer to as scooters and not as mopeds or something like that? Most people say "Scooter" and it means at 125cc+ vespa or the like.

It's good that florida is making steps in the right direction...but i read about those laws and they are absolutely absurd. You emergency brake when someone cuts you off and get the back end a few inches off the ground, and you can get a 1000$ fine? What the gently caress. I'm pretty sure that the second violation on any of those is a felony as well, which just doubles up the :psyduck:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The definition may vary by region, but I'm pretty sure mopeds are pedal-operated, whereas scooters are step-through.

Gainesville, FL is quite literally jam packed with cheapo $700 50cc Chinese scooters. Once in a while, I see someone wearing a full face and jacket, but that is rare. The sportbikers in this town appear to be the most safety conscious of all the 2-wheelers.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Are there even any scoots under 50ccs that people would refer to as scooters and not as mopeds or something like that? Most people say "Scooter" and it means at 125cc+ vespa or the like.

It's good that florida is making steps in the right direction...but i read about those laws and they are absolutely absurd. You emergency brake when someone cuts you off and get the back end a few inches off the ground, and you can get a 1000$ fine? What the gently caress. I'm pretty sure that the second violation on any of those is a felony as well, which just doubles up the :psyduck:

This is Florida, the land of dumbfuck laws, dumbfuck people, and even more dumbfuck politicians.

MrKatharsis posted:

The definition may vary by region, but I'm pretty sure mopeds are pedal-operated, whereas scooters are step-through.

Gainesville, FL is quite literally jam packed with cheapo $700 50cc Chinese scooters. Once in a while, I see someone wearing a full face and jacket, but that is rare. The sportbikers in this town appear to be the most safety conscious of all the 2-wheelers.

LA has a ton of scooter riders, especially during the warmer months. Most of them wear no more than a brain bucket because of the helmet law. In the summer, the scooter rider's uniform is a tank top, shorts, and sandals. I wish I was joking.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

Are there even any scoots under 50ccs that people would refer to as scooters and not as mopeds or something like that?

I brings the Ruckus to the ladies.

Click here for the full 1280x772 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

I brings the Ruckus to the ladies.

Click here for the full 1280x772 image.

Wow, I could have sworn the ruckus was a 75-125cc bike. No wonder I always see them riding up the shoulder on the faster roads. :xd:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

Wow, I could have sworn the ruckus was a 75-125cc bike. No wonder I always see them riding up the shoulder on the faster roads. :xd:

There's a 50cc and a 125cc version. The story of Wan takes place on the 50.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Zenaida posted:

There's a 50cc and a 125cc version. The story of Wan takes place on the 50.

Maybe it's all the time I've spent on advrider but I fail to see why this Wan guy is a big deal unless you have a ruckus and read only that forum.

I mean, aside from the patience necessary to traverse the country on a 50cc scooter.

edit: I guess the big deal is that he's Korean and doesn't speak great English? Still doesn't seem that remarkable compared to crossing Angola or most of Asia as a white dude or whatever. That site and the community is cute, anyway, I guess.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 4, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Maybe it's all the time I've spent on advrider but I fail to see why this Wan guy is a big deal unless you have a ruckus and read only that forum.

I mean, aside from the patience necessary to traverse the country on a 50cc scooter.

edit: I guess the big deal is that he's Korean and doesn't speak great English? Still doesn't seem that remarkable compared to crossing Angola or most of Asia as a white dude or whatever. That site and the community is cute, anyway, I guess.

What made it for me was how the community came together for him. When he lost his camera and they bought him a new one, all the people that put him up, the way his scoot kept collecting stickers and little flags and that alligator head.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Zenaida posted:

What made it for me was how the community came together for him. When he lost his camera and they bought him a new one, all the people that put him up, the way his scoot kept collecting stickers and little flags and that alligator head.

I agree that it's heartwarming but it's also depressingly indicative of what sheltered, whitebread lives the people on that forum live. It was mentioned several times that Wan clearly has a lot of money and can take care of himself, but people are coming out of the woodwork looking to buy him poo poo/maintain his poo poo that was maintained days earlier/etc. I mean it's cute and great and human condition and all but the guy clearly doesn't need much help and I get the distinct impression that everyone in that thread is patting themselves on the back for helping and saying "that Wan is such a great, positive guy" in that condescending "that Asian dude is great and adorable and how does he camp like that lol hes so cool and I as a superior American being will validate his existence."

I mean, seriously, seeing people freak out that he made a tiny spit to cook some chicken on and calling him survivor man is loving :lol::lol::lol::lol:

edit: that said, I'm still reading the whole thing like I obsessively read every advrider thread and the whole thing is pretty adorable.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 4, 2008

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

redscare posted:

LA has a ton of scooter riders, especially during the warmer months. Most of them wear no more than a brain bucket because of the helmet law. In the summer, the scooter rider's uniform is a tank top, shorts, and sandals. I wish I was joking.

Same here in Brisbane Australia. Way back when I sold scooters for shits and giggles, it was a whole other game to get buyers to get some proper protective gear.

I'd call the mechanic in from the workshop, point to him and go "Look at Luke here, he got run over by a semi trailer (true story), he was wearing proper gear, he survived to tell you about how his back hurts occasionally". Being on a major road, often a loaded 45 tonne semi would rumble on by and they'd agree pretty quickly it was a good thing.

That would at least get them to buy a full face or a flip helmet instead of those stupid open or half face visored helmets. Then I'd suggest they get gloves, using the example of every kid coming off their pushie and would go hands first into the gravel. Finally, the jacket, most wouldn't buy because I've stretched their budget already, but there was so much mark up on the kit I'd play the protective big brother motorcyclist, mark it down with a "shh don't tell the boss" kind of routine, and they'd happily pay it thinking they were getting a ripper deal. The boss didn't care, he preferred customers were alive and came back to get their gear serviced and he was still making a profit on the marked down gear.

Unfortunately proper boots and pants were a stretch for most pretty young things, but give them a pink or baby blue jacket and they were happy little piggies. Kind of bummed me I had to play the customers to get them to buy proper gear, but they'd thank me for it the moment they had a proper accident (and one even did).

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I want to hear about that lucky son of a bitch that got run over by a semi and lived to tell the tale. Did it only run over his leg or something?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

redscare posted:

I want to hear about that lucky son of a bitch that got run over by a semi and lived to tell the tale. Did it only run over his leg or something?

There was a bicyclist in Madison, WI that had a full sized delivery truck run over his head and he lived; his only injury was a concussion. His bicycle helmet saved his life.

http://www.gazetteextra.com/mangledhelmet051407.asp

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rekinom posted:

Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester is rebuilding one still last I heard. Outside of that; I got nothing. Here's a link.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2934536

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I always knew to treat cars like they think I'm invisible, but now I've seen why firsthand. Even visual confirmation that someone sees you and is acting accordingly doesn't mean poo poo. People do stupid things, especially when there's a motorcycle around. I won't trust anyone but myself in the future.

Glad to hear you're OK. It ain't just motorcycles, I've made eye contact with people nearing their cars when I'm on my mountain bike, and they just stand there, staring, and then open their doors into the lane anyway.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

redscare posted:

It wasn't loaded at the time, but yup, was run over by the trailer.

The guy had borrowed a Buell Firebolt from his brother who was a riding instructor at the local Harley dealership. Wasn't used to the insane brakes or the short wheel base, and he wasn't a small guy which gave the bike a high CoG. He rounded a corner trying to overtake the truck on the inside, and the truck pulled unexpectedly (even considering trucks swing wide) into the lane he was in. He grabbed the brakes in a panic, up on the front wheel, arse over head, and straight underneath the rear wheels, bike and all.

The unloaded trailer, 3 axles, ran over his torso him face down and then dragging him a bit as the truck driver hit the brakes, damaging his spine. The Buell was a total write off. Spent a while in hospital in traction, continually has back problems with on going therapy, but lived to tell the tale.

Where it comes into the equipment story, was that if his head wasn't protected with a full face helmet the impact of going down and being dragged would have not only taken his jaw off his skull, but probably cracked his skull in not pretty ways.

:siren: :siren: Not for the squeemish (no, really), but Google "Nothing comes between me and my Harley", click on the first article. :siren: :siren: If he wasn't wearing a full face, that's what he would have ended up like. I saw the helmet, scary poo poo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

snail posted:

:siren: :siren: Not for the squeemish (no, really)

You're not joking

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rekinom posted:

i've still yet to sit on mine because i'm waiting for parts to put it back together. there is in fact one (only one) guy in AI who has a new guzzi and rides it. but i can't remember his name. maybe he posted in my thread? check hnasty's link.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Quick dumb question: what family of bikes does my Honda Nighthawk fall into?

Is it just called "standard" or "traditional" or what?

Though I was looking at cruisers at first, I'm really enjoying whatever type of bike it is, maybe will have to look into getting a nicer bike of similar type in a year or so after I move. Just curious what the type of bike is called, and how I go about feeling out similar bikes.

I like bikes that look as non-flashy as possible, with the ideal being "something kinda WWII-esque". Kind of the antithesis of purple/lime crotchrocket. I also like bikes smaller rather than larger.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Nighthawk is a standard, or UJM.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i've still yet to sit on mine because i'm waiting for parts to put it back together. there is in fact one (only one) guy in AI who has a new guzzi and rides it. but i can't remember his name. maybe he posted in my thread? check hnasty's link.

Bentron has one. But I only remember his XBL name, not his SA name...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i will say though that i've only seen a guzzi on the road up close once, and it sounded absolutely awesome. like a more refined luxurious ducati. i think it was one of these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I saw a newish looking Guzzi at school the other day - most gorgeous bike I've ever seen. I'll snap a pic if it's there when I go by tomorrow.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Saw this as a facebook ad:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/content/pages/2009_motorcycles/xr1200.jsp?locale=en_US&camp_id=16&source_cd=Banners_XR1200

The Harley-Davidson XR 1200 is available for pre-order. First 750 people get one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It'll probably flop in the states. "LOOKS LIKE A GOR DAM JAP BIKE :banjo:"

I sincerely hope it doesnt, because I'm in love with the XR1200, but I think it will.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm really enjoying whatever type of bike it is, maybe will have to look into getting a nicer bike of similar type in a year or so after I move.

I too am a fan on the UJM position. Sport feels too far forward and cruisers feel like I'm lying back in an easy chair.

If you like older looking UJM's then I suggest getting exactly that. There were a lot of good bikes made in the 60's/70's that with a little work will be just as good as a modern bike. I've got a 60's Yamaha and now a 70's Kawasaki and I love them both dearly. If you're handy they're also fun in that "watch me strip down and reassemble my bike in 10 minutes with just a pair of pliers" way.

8ender fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 5, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

It'll probably flop in the states. "LOOKS LIKE A GOR DAM JAP BIKE :banjo:"

I sincerely hope it doesnt, because I'm in love with the XR1200, but I think it will.

I hope it flops in the US so that I can buy one for pennies on the $ when depreciation hits.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I hope it flops in the US so that I can buy one for pennies on the $ when depreciation hits.

I was gonna say "seconded" but then I realized if it flops they'll never bring out anything else like it, and that would just be sad since it really is the hottest piece of metal HD has put out in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Honestly, it looks great but I can't think of a good reason to spend the money on it instead of other options. It doesn't quite carve it's own niche enough to be truly special. If I want a twin I can have fun on twisty roads and drive across the country on, why wouldn't I buy something Italian?

I like it, and want to love it, I just don't see a reason I'd have to have one over another bike. Unless you always wanted a Harley, but don't have a massive gut yet.