Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Z3n posted:

Are there even any scoots under 50ccs that people would refer to as scooters and not as mopeds or something like that? Most people say "Scooter" and it means at 125cc+ vespa or the like.

Vespa has a couple of models that are 50cc. I assume that's what they got. Interesting though, for some reason I was under the impression that anything under 150cc you didn't need a license, but it's only for 50cc. Between 50 and 150 cc you need a different kind of license.

Learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It varies by state. In NC under 50cc was known as a Liquor Cycle. When you got a DUI you rode one because you lost your license. In other states you need a license to ride anything with a motor. Some require a plate and insurance, some states don't.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rekinom posted:

Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.

Me too! The 2000-2006 V11 sport is still my dream bike. The new V7 is beautiful like crazy, but I didn't like the seat much when I sat on one. I've yet to have an opportunity to ride one, though I've got a better chance this side of the pond now!

TripleZ
Sep 24, 2007
I don't understand the strong dislike for Harley. I know that during the 70's and 80's they were chastised for breaking down a shitload but both my uncle and father have owned a variety of Harley models in the past decade and they haven't had any trouble. Neither of them are fat bearded men either, because I know that is the stereotype.

Why is it Harley is picked on? Is it because of the faults they had in the past? Do you just dislike the stereotype of the Harley rider?

I'm an equal bike supporter. I love to read and learn about all different bikes. poo poo I even wave to scooters when I'm out riding. My friends laughed at first when they found out I waved to scooters but they started doing it as well.

Not trying to get anyone riled up, I'm just curious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most everyone who isnt clinging to old and stupid stereotypes realizes that modern harleys are just as reliable as most european bikes, if not approaching Japanese reliability.

Most everyone also realizes that the stereotypical "Accounts receivable manager by weekday, fake badass by weekend" Harley Poser is very much alive and well.

Thats mostly what people hate on.

And before anyone says it, YES, ALL BIKES HAVE THEIR POSERS THAT GO ALONG WITH THEM. Harley just seems to have a disproportionate amount.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

TripleZ posted:

Why is it Harley is picked on? Is it because of the faults they had in the past? Do you just dislike the stereotype of the Harley rider?
In the 70's and early 80's, harleys were truely poor motorcycles. Through the 90's they started to figure things out. Right now they're competent bikes, they're very reliable, and if you buy the right ones, they're at least comfortable. But they're not "good" in most respects.

They're heavy, they're slow, they're designed with looks in mind instead of good function.

If you need examples:
  • The springer rear suspension was designed to LOOK like a rigid. That was number one priority.
  • They wouldn't use EFI until they could hide it in such a way that the bike looked the same from the outside.
  • The vrod has a coolant line running vertically instead of to where it's needed first.
  • They still sell girder forks

All of that said, they have done some neat things. For instance they designed brake disks that don't need the separate carriers to avoid warping. They did manage to make their EFI look like a carb. They did manage to completely hide the rear suspension.

And even after all of that. The Japanese and British do it better. They build bigger bikes, with more power, and better equipment. They build smaller bikes that look as good but make more power and weigh 100lbs less. They build bikes that actually look like choppers and classic bikes.

PS. I even wave at bicylists. And I ride a moped.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 5, 2008

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
It might just be a stereotype, but there's some truth in there. True, I have met quite a few really nice Harley riders, and just because they ride a Harley doesn't mean I get to sneer at them automatically.

However, going by my own personal survey, I get the least number of waves from Harley riders, even if I've waved at them first. Maybe it's the fact that I'm 20 and most Harley riders are middle aged men who are just trying to get away from their screaming kids and hagged wife for a while (incorrect assumptions ahoy). I'll wave or nod at every biker I see, and make sure to chat if we're both parked up.

I have no opinion on the build quality of Harleys either way.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its definitely true that if I wave at someone and don't get a wave back, it's almost always a cruiser. Adventure bikers, motards, sport bikers, generally wave at everyone.

Well except the scooter people. I appreciate scooters are awesome, but somehow don't feel deserving of a motorcycle wave.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Phat_Albert posted:

YES, ALL BIKES HAVE THEIR POSERS THAT GO ALONG WITH THEM.

So what is the stereotypical RV90 poser like?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Cheese Eats Mouse

PS. It's a joke...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TripleZ posted:

I don't understand the strong dislike for Harley. I know that during the 70's and 80's they were chastised for breaking down a shitload but both my uncle and father have owned a variety of Harley models in the past decade and they haven't had any trouble. Neither of them are fat bearded men either, because I know that is the stereotype.

I'm an equal bike supporter. I love to read and learn about all different bikes. poo poo I even wave to scooters when I'm out riding. My friends laughed at first when they found out I waved to scooters but they started doing it as well.

Not trying to get anyone riled up, I'm just curious.

I think another thing that rubs people the wrong way about harleys is harley owners that act like their bikes are god's gift to mankind/riderkind/the used market. I also don't really recall there being people who say "If you don't ride a Honda, you don't ride a real motorcycle!".

They're not bad bikes. I like riding Harleys, just like I like riding any other bike. The problem is: They're not particularly good bikes, either. They jump through hilarious hoops to hide the fact that they're no longer carbed, that they're water cooled, to continue to sell an image.

In the end, I think that's what irritates people the most...those who have never ridden in their lives, yet buy into an "image" rather than a hobby. The same goes for sportbike riders, scooter riders, etc. but most of them aren't such grevious assholes about it.

gently caress, I had a Harley guy turn his nose up at my track SV sitting in the back of the truck when I stopped to help his broken-down rear end on the side of the road. Good for him that I'd just gotten back from the track and had every tool known to mankind, including in half imperial/half metric sizes to fix his POS. Those fuckers are the absolute worst. Needless to say, I still fixed his bike, but he was a hopeless dickhole about it.

On the flip side, I've met plenty of nice, badass riders on harleys, including one ancient, mid 80s guy up at Alice's who had a kickass full custom harley flattracker type replica that weighed around 400 pounds wet. He had to get rid of his normal harley because it was too heavy for him. That guy was awesome.

There are posers in every line of everything, especially in riding, which is such an image concious hobby. Harley riders just take it to the extreme.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

So what is the stereotypical RV90 poser like?

Acts like they ride it on the beach, but really just farts around the yard all day because its not street legal, and they dont want to cough up the dough for a title.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Completely random point, but does anyone favor any term of pronunciation other than the standard "motorcycle"? I somehow never really dug the word, so just for the sake of it I tend to refer to it as either a "motor-sickle" or "motorbike". Anyone else?

I blame the motor-sickle pronunciation on Arlo Guthrie.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Completely random point, but does anyone favor any term of pronunciation other than the standard "motorcycle"? I somehow never really dug the word, so just for the sake of it I tend to refer to it as either a "motor-sickle" or "motorbike". Anyone else?

I blame the motor-sickle pronunciation on Arlo Guthrie.

No, I call it a motorcycle. Or a bike.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Nerobro posted:

In the 70's and early 80's, harleys were truely poor motorcycles.

This reminds me of my dad's stories about old harleys. Back then guys would carry extra headgaskets with them, cause they'd blow all the time. You just limp off the side of the road, remove the 6 bolts or whatever, replace the headgasket and be on your way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Agreeing on some anti-Harley sentiments even though I appreciate them. They are too heavy and there's too much vanity. That said, one of the best persons on two wheels I know rides a ridiculously expensive Ultra Glide, a friend of my father who rides a Low Rider. He did 14,000 miles on it this year, bought it in March. Hot, cold, rain, sleet, always going places. My father told me to see him about my Suzuki's leaky fork seals. He said he'd fix them for free as long as I had the parts and no problem asking about other stuff. He knew a lot about the bike as well. Great example of a true rider who chose his brand instead of a true brander who had his ride chosen for him.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Orange Someone posted:

However, going by my own personal survey, I get the least number of waves from Harley riders, even if I've waved at them first. Maybe it's the fact that I'm 20 and most Harley riders are middle aged men who are just trying to get away from their screaming kids and hagged wife for a while (incorrect assumptions ahoy). I'll wave or nod at every biker I see, and make sure to chat if we're both parked up.

That was one of the first things I noticed when I first got a bike - the community is generally pretty nice :D

The first time I saw another motorbike, he looked my way and gave a nod - I just stared back like a dumbass because it never happened to me before. Nowadays I give other riders a nod or a wave whenever I see them - even scooter riders, but the return rate is probably 1/100, since they don't generally look over and are usually just interested in commuting.

Also, a random article on the wave:
http://www.netrider.net.au/articles/?page=thewave

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Acts like they ride it on the beach, but really just farts around the yard all day because its not street legal, and they dont want to cough up the dough for a title.

I guess it's just as well that there's so few of them around for a few posers to really poo poo up the scene, hmm? :v:

@TapTheForwardAssist: Two-wheeled noise maker - usually used on people who could give a flying fig what I ride.
bike - pretty much anyone else

Comedy option: steel horse :v:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99h5aikc4g

TripleZ
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for enlightening me. I guess I never really understood the general dislike towards Harleys/Harley Riders because the two/three people I know that ride Harleys are pretty humble individuals.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I usually wave to anyone on 2 wheels-scooters, even bicyclists. The bicyclists usually don't wave back, I don't think they can spare the energy!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gnomad posted:

I usually wave to anyone on 2 wheels-scooters, even bicyclists. The bicyclists usually don't wave back, I don't think they can spare the energy!

So do I. And I'll vouch for bike riders not having the energy to spare. When I'm 15 miles in, I ain't raising my hands for anyone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

I guess it's just as well that there's so few of them around for a few posers to really poo poo up the scene, hmm? :v:

Cheese Eats Mouse and I really pretty much comprise the US RV90 scene :haw:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I found the shift lever, and carb cover for my TC90... yey. They've survived two moves, and I didn't actually lose them! And I reassembled the carb from my 1977 GS550. That took me three hours....

Oh, and one more thing. The TC90 is for sale. It comes with the tune up kit (points, condenser, plug..) and shift lever. In it's current state, it does run, and it shouldn't be far from being useful.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 8, 2008

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
My speedo/odo decided to go out on me the other day. Guessing your speed by engine speed/flow of traffic is fantastic. I won't even be able to get to it until Saturday since it gets dark so early these days. I think it might be the little hub thing on the wheel that went out. Bah.

:argh: stuff breaking :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

My speedo/odo decided to go out on me the other day. Guessing your speed by engine speed/flow of traffic is fantastic. I won't even be able to get to it until Saturday since it gets dark so early these days. I think it might be the little hub thing on the wheel that went out. Bah.

Probably just a broken cable, that happens a fair bit. It's a 10 second check, just check it at the front like we did when it came out before.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

redscare posted:

I did hundreds of miles on my bike with a bust speedo. It actually made me somewhat of a better rider since I'd be paying attention to the road and the other drivers rather than constantly watching my speedo. I had a good time, right until I ran into speed cameras. On the other hand, mine's a 125 dualsport so breaking the national speed limit doesn't happen easily. I guess it'd be harder on a bigger bike, I'd just make sure to stay in second when going through 30mph cameras.

The reason for mine was a bust speedo cable, which is fairly easy to check. Also a remarkably simple fix.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm off crutches and back on the bike. 90% of my rash is healed as well. I'm freaking Wolverine over here.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Orange Someone posted:

I did hundreds of miles on my bike with a bust speedo. It actually made me somewhat of a better rider since I'd be paying attention to the road and the other drivers rather than constantly watching my speedo. I had a good time, right until I ran into speed cameras. On the other hand, mine's a 125 dualsport so breaking the national speed limit doesn't happen easily. I guess it'd be harder on a bigger bike, I'd just make sure to stay in second when going through 30mph cameras.

The reason for mine was a bust speedo cable, which is fairly easy to check. Also a remarkably simple fix.

This happened to me too, at the start of a 800 mile trip. I would have been ok on highways and such, but it would have sucked to not have any cars around on the back roads I was on later since I wouldn't have had the slightest clue how fast I was going.

It turned out the screw holding the cable in to the bike came out, so a 30 second screw replacement (after a half hour taking the bike apart. Fairings:argh:) fixed it just fine.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

redscare posted:

Speaking of this, something ELSE has come up, this time a bit more serious. Once it warms up, when idling, the bike has developed this desire to rev up, first up to 4k and then up 8k. What in the world could be causing this? Stuck throttle cable? Carb sliders? God hating me?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

redscare posted:

Speaking of this, something ELSE has come up, this time a bit more serious. Once it warms up, when idling, the bike has developed this desire to rev up, first up to 4k and then up 8k. What in the world could be causing this? Stuck throttle cable? Carb sliders? God hating me?

It happened to me when one of my cylinders wouldn't ever fire. I ended up upping the idle speed so much to make the one cylinder idle at 1000rpm that by the time the other cylinder fired the rpm absolutely screamed.

Ps, is your choke off?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Yes the choke is off

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

quote:

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials impose the retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09december08_tarrif.htm

Hey at least it doesn't affect Japanese bikes right? :v:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sooo.... Vespa's hosed, but other than that?

Seriously though, I don't see how the states would be able to get away with a 100% duty - the WTO would probably have a few words to say about that.

Edit: Oh right, dirtbikes :doh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

that's just plain loving stupid. Double the cost of cheap, easy city transport so we'll all go out and buy American made...? Nothing. That's what.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Clearly the tariffs will encourage consumers to buy more American GM beef.

Read whatever you want into that. :v:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I like how the answer here is to tariff something else instead of, you know, getting rid of the loving rBGH like the rest of the civilized world. gently caress Monsanto.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
While letting my ex250 idle a bit today after a valve adjustment and new plugs (I was enjoying how much it sounded like a sewing machine now), I decided to see if my kickstand switch actually worked.

Putting it in gear and letting out the clutch told me that it does not work. I took a look at the switch, and its and a bit of the kickstand are bent and mangled in such a way that the stand doesn't activate the switch. Bummer. That's one more thing I need to fix/replace on this bike.

My first bike has been an extended financial/free time based lesson on how to inspect a bike before purchase to avoid these things. Alternatively, its an extended lesson on how to do plastics repair, replace levers, replace bits of the lighting system, clean the carbs, etc. :downs:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
nm

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Wohoo, new taillight and fender ordered! Cant wait to get rid of the ugly one I have now.

From this:

To this:

Working on getting the bike into my apartment so I can work on it. Biggest problem is that I live on the 7th floor, and I'm not sure if the bike will fit in the elevator. Time will show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Valfar posted:

I'm not sure if the bike will fit in the elevator. Time will show!

Of course it will.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.