Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Orange Someone posted:

However, going by my own personal survey, I get the least number of waves from Harley riders, even if I've waved at them first. Maybe it's the fact that I'm 20 and most Harley riders are middle aged men who are just trying to get away from their screaming kids and hagged wife for a while (incorrect assumptions ahoy). I'll wave or nod at every biker I see, and make sure to chat if we're both parked up.

That was one of the first things I noticed when I first got a bike - the community is generally pretty nice :D

The first time I saw another motorbike, he looked my way and gave a nod - I just stared back like a dumbass because it never happened to me before. Nowadays I give other riders a nod or a wave whenever I see them - even scooter riders, but the return rate is probably 1/100, since they don't generally look over and are usually just interested in commuting.

Also, a random article on the wave:
http://www.netrider.net.au/articles/?page=thewave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Z3n posted:

I refuse to pay for HFL access just on principal. gently caress that guy. And his hits are gonna start going down when his web accessible content drops to zero.

I hardly bother going on HFL anymore because of this subscription poo poo.

Out of curiosity, what are some other motorcycle news blogs? I think this may have been brought up in another thread, but I can't remember.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

PyxlWyz posted:

WTF... does that really work?

Hitting the starter works every time for me. I've never tried the stand one. Hitting your start button creates a small magnetic field (or something like that) which will trigger the wireloop at most red lights.

There are some lights in Sydney that NEVER go green unless a vehicle is detected - I remember when I first started riding I sat at a red light for over 5 minutes before a car came along behind me and then I realised what had happened.

Kyon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 12, 2011

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

JP Money posted:

Have you ever owned/ridden a bigger bike? Once people get by that trial period where they learn to ride safely it's eye opening to ride a bigger bike.

As far as the tire comment, you'll understand if you move up. It feels a lot more stable than the thin 250 tires. Your contact patch is (relatively speaking) much greater and thus (to me anyways) feels a lot more solid. YMMV but I'd never go back to a 250 from a 600 aside from an occasional trip on one to remind myself what it's like.

Seriously, if you haven't ridden a bigger bike and you feel comfortable enough on the 250, jump on a 600 and take a moderate ride around and see how awesome it is.

This is exactly what I was going to ask as well. I went from a 250 -> 600 about 3 weeks ago and the difference is amazing. Tipping into corners feels much more stable thanks to the wider tyres and overtaking people is effortless.

I jumped back on the 250 last week for a couple of days and I was shocked at how different it was. Overtaking is a chore - requiring me to downshift 1-2 gears to get any semblance of power and going around corners feels very unstable and unsafe compared to the 600. I seriously thought I left the choke open or the clutch was slipping because that's how slow it felt.

This is a bike that I've owned (and occasionally tracked) for 3 years and now I have no idea how I used to get my knee down on it. I used to feel that 250ccs was all that I'd ever need but upgrading to a bigger bike has corrupted me.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

SaNChEzZ posted:

Shoulda scrubbed those tires, scrub.

To be fair, the dealership probably sprayed the bike with tyre shine or some other poo poo. I've ridden on brand new tyres and it was never that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Rossi is actually one of the taller riders in the MotoGP