Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Silver posted:

Sigtrap: True.

WWT: Long Way Round I enjoyed. Long Way Down I thought sucked. If you like reading/picture adventure trip stuff too I can link up some ADV rides that were loving awesome.

I loved long way down, especially the last episode. I saw more of it than I did of long way round though.

So I saw a Guzzi V7 (that pretty white one I posted in the new for '09 thread) in person the other day. Had a sit on it too. It's just as pretty in person as it is in the pics, but the seat is pretty uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just used to more saddle-type seats, but the Guzzi's is a bit of a plank and the edges rub your inner thighs something fierce. Maybe I was sitting on it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Unless the seat was rubbing your scalp, there's not a lot of wrong ways. Did you have both feet on the pegs? You usually know right away, if it feels a tad uncomfy in the showroom it will kill your butt on the road.

I couldn't stand it up as it was on the sidestand in the showroom. I did get both feet on the pegs though, leaned over. It just felt too wide at the crotch, I thought maybe my knees needed to be bent differently but you're right, it's kind of hard to sit wrong.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nerobro posted:

LWR is VERY, VERY much worth watching. it's excelent. LWD is.. dull.

See, I find Africa fairly fascinating so being able to see it in that way, to see it from a perspective you never really get on the news or documentaries was fantastic.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

something I learned today: a 650 single doesn't rev nearly as high as a 750 v4. Bwwaaaaaah-bababababa oh that's the rev limiter! :doh: upshift! Turns out you need more than one gear to reach highway speed :downs:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I-4's are for people who are too fat and lazy to shift :colbert:

It's even better on something like my DRZ where there isn't a tach. Am I off the rev limiter? Who knows! If it sounds OK keep on the throttle I guess.

count me as the latter. I got used to passing in 6th gear without downshifting, now I have to get used to not having a 6th gear to shift up into :). It's fun though, I love this bike!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I finally broke it to my mom that I've been riding two years, and bought a bike here in the UK and that's what I've been using to get to work. It went far better than I thought! Sort or "well I know you'd been thinking about it for some time, and frankly you're old enough to make your own decisions". Then she got all excited and looked up what I ride on the internet to show my dad who thought it was fantastic (he used to ride, back in ancient history). I don't know what the hell I was worried about. Mental scarring from having a bag of semolina smashed across my head as a kid for doing something stupid I guess! :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rekinom posted:

Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.

Me too! The 2000-2006 V11 sport is still my dream bike. The new V7 is beautiful like crazy, but I didn't like the seat much when I sat on one. I've yet to have an opportunity to ride one, though I've got a better chance this side of the pond now!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Konica Minolta paintjob...:swoon:

I love race reps. It's obvious that the people riding them aren't professional racers so...who cares?

Also: Check ebay for fairing kits and convert your own bike! The quality of the kits graphics wise is pretty good but fit can be poor (as it always is with fairings).

you mean this one? :D

Something about white hondas...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to the seaside today because I had nothing much else to do and felt like going for a ride. It might not be California, but the fact that I can ride to the sea in the middle of January is fantastic, even if it does rain. And of course it did, despite what the weather forcast said. At least it cleared up once I got there. I saw a nice sunset, had some fish and chips and a cup of tea, and rode home. I've come to the conclusion that my helmet is officially tired. the pressure on my forehead was driving me mental by the time I was halfway home. The padding just isn't what it used to be. Luckily the London motorcycle show is coming up in a few weeks... hopefully I can score a deal on a last-year's Schuberth S1.
Anyway, the route I took was basically south from Chiswick, London, through Richmond and Kingston, etc on to the A24 and on down. The bit around Hampton/Leatherhead is only approximate because there was some confusion :)
route: http://tinyurl.com/8bgnwe
pictures:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I spend a fair amount of time over at maximumbikes, a board that has a majority of UK riders, from which I have learned at least 2 very important things.

The Welsh are not English.

And the UK may be damp but they have some of the best riding available anywhere. Here in the US we have been building roads since the 1800's, in Alaska we've been building roads since the turn of the last century and in the UK they have been building roads since Roman days, do the math, it adds up to some bukkit list riding.

Now, the important question-did you beat up any mods?

The ones the Romans built are all straight though! :) All the other ones though, where they basically just paved where the sheep walked, those are great, and they're everywhere!

With my Italian bike, Italian jacket, and lack of hair product, I probably would have been the mod! Or more likely the square, given all my safety gear. At least my back protector would keep me safe from hurled stones as I ran away! :D

Simkin posted:

Nice, that looks like a fun little cruise. I imagine that place is far more pleasant in the off season. :can:

It was pretty deserted and the roads weren't busy, but on a sunny summer weekend? Forget it!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to the London motorcycle show yesterday in search of a Schuberth S1. I found it a bit disappointing overall. I did find a vendor selling S1's and was able to determine I need an S1 Pro in large, but they didn't have any in the colours I wanted. At least they'll give me the show price (which was pretty drat good) on a new one from their shop when I call them. Not much interesting on display, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood? Anyway I got some pictures that I'll throw in the picture thread later. I thought there would be a lot more manufacturers represented, but aside from small displays from the big 4, Harley/Buell, BMW, and Ducati, Victory and Bimota was as exotic as it got. Credit Crunch I suppose.

On the subject of waves, I usually lift 2 fingers off the left bar and nod, although now I ride on the wrong side of the road I guess I should lift 2 off the right bar?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Seriously, if you ride motorcycles and don't live in California

You're

doing

it

wrong.

could have gone bigger but didn't want to break tables ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

If you can find one production model of Japanese bike made in the last 25 years that has been cared for and not beaten into the ground that needs the above mentioned level of maintenance I'll concede the argument.

my old 93 vfr?
Although, technically speaking, I did actually beat it literally into the ground.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'll join up on some of that, I'm in London.
I think the cost and time estimates might be a little low though. Of course you can always chop bits off as required. Gas will probably be about 4-500 euro at least. I'd probably want 6 days just to do London-Geneva-Menton and back, and that doesn't even give much time to stop and smell the flowers. I know people do it in less, but they motorway large sections. If I wanted to get to the Med in a day, I'd sleep in and take an afternoon flight! :)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 3, 2009

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm back on 2 wheels after a brief winter hiatus, feels fantastic. I think I'll go for a ride this weekend, maybe get some pics up here to compete with Ola ;). I'm planning on doing a multi-day trip around Wales later this spring or early summer, and trip down to Cornwall might be in the cards. Plus some continental touring when I can. I love booting around on my Peg, as nice as my VFR was, it just wasn't as fun as the Pegaso. It's not that great for extended high-speed motorway stuff but makes up for it on the B roads.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

Is it bad that I want to drive down to Cornwall from the Midlands and back, purely for a decent cornish pasty? For those with a less than stellar grasp of British geography, that's a 4 and a half hour journey there. Even worse, I'm considering taking the friend on the 125 who can't use the motorways, that bumps it up to about 7 and a half hours there.

They do make the best drat Cornish Pasties in Port Isaac though.

not too much further than me, meet you in Bristol! :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I sing, I whistle, I beatbox, I make strange noises that sound neat with earplugs in, I talk to myself... basically if anyone heard what was going on in that helmet they'd probably have me committed.
Sometimes I listen to my ipod with noise isolating earplugs, but I save that for long trips where I'm unlikely to encounter urban environments.

I think it was on Long Way Round, but Ewen said something about the helmets being miked up, that he hoped there was a way to select the recording off, because he didn't want everybody to hear his horrible and bizarre singing. I think everybody does it! :)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 16, 2009

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just got my bike back from getting my MOT inspection done and noticed the right hand bar end was missing. I went back in and asked if it maybe came off in the shop, but they said nope, and looked around but didn't see anything. The only thing I can think is it vibrated off somewhere? I didn't notice it missing before went there this morning, didn't notice on my ride two or from Winchester last weekend... who knows where or when it happened :iiam:. It's not on the ground where I park either. Oh well, can't be that expensive to replace. (famous last words)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In case anyone is as noob as I, or is amused by noob idiocy:

Left my lights on, drained my battery. So I'm sitting on a dead bike in a parking lot 2mi from home by myself. Called my brother and asked "can you google up 'push start motorcycle'?"

He reads the instructions, I think I got it, and I've got a nice long stretch of 75m of gradual slope, and 50m of relatively steep downhill. Perfect.

Get on, start riding it down, can't get the barest whimper from the engine. Get all the way to the bottom of the hill. gently caress it, guess I'll have to walk home, drive me car here, and jump start it. I hop off and start to push it to the side to park it, and as I do so get a little rumble in the engine.

Hold up... did I just ride down the entire hill with the clutch engaged?. Yep. So I pushed it uphill about 10m, left it in second, released the clutch, and the engine kicked in before it rolled even 10ft.

Worked out okay, but drat did I feel retarded.

I have a similar embarrassing pushstart experience. Back when I was having charging issues with my VFR it died on me in traffic. I pulled over and some kindly biker lasses (one built a bit like a brick shithouse) came to my aid. We tried push-starting it (her pushing, she was that kind of girl) a couple of times and every time I released the clutch, the engine wouldn't turn over. Eventually someone with booster cables turned up and I was good. Found out later that you need it in 2nd gear not 1st, otherwise a mule won't get that thing to push start :blush:... oops...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sklnd posted:

The next bike I buy will have heated grips.

I went on a camping trip with 10 people a few hours south of Dallas this weekend. I rode, they caged it. Its late March, in Texas, right? Nice weather, right? Nope! On the way down I rode through a pretty awesome thunderstorm and got my duffel bag fairly wet. No problem, I thought. After I got the camp site and had my tent up, I set my clothes out in my tent to dry.

A couple hours later (before my friends had arrived) a pretty rockin thunderstorm came through that was associated with a cold front. The temp dropped from about 80F to about 50F in the span of an hour, and it came with 30mph winds. Overnight the temp dropped to 30F, and nobody was really prepared well for that sort of weather with crazy stiff winds. So, around 7:30pm on Saturday enough of the group decided to pack it up that I figured I'd get a room in the nearby town and that would be that. One night of freezing cold was enough for the group.

When I got to the town, I figured I could just keep going and be back home in my nice warm apartment for the price of two hours of cold riding. Armed with four upper layers, three pants layers, a balaclava that I keep in my saddle bags, and glove liners under my summer gloves I set off. It was about 40F out the whole way, which wouldn't have been bad at all if I had better gloves. The liners help, but my throttle hand was pretty much frozen for the duration of the trip. Highway riding in Dallas on a Ninja 250 with a frozen right hand and a ton of gear bungied to the back of the bike is quite the experience.

So yes, heated grips. I need them. I enjoyed the people who looked at me like I was mad, and the local scooter guys riding around in north Dallas who gave me a big thumbs up when I was sitting next to them at a light holding my engine with my right hand.

I did a bunch of commuting this fall and winter in close-to-freezing temps and nearly froze my hands solid. Liners did little except slow the transfer of heat from the headers/coolant hoses when I jammed my hands in there to warm up. Then I remembered I had my gore-tex snowboarding gloves with me the entire time, and my hands stayed toasty through all kinds of weather. Would they hold up in a crash? I dunno, but good snowboarding gloves tend be built for (and take) a lot of abuse. They're Burton AK Guide gloves, even though the winter is over, now's the time to get them cheap because it's end-of season.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I ride when I feel like riding, and I don't always feel like riding. Odds are when it's cold and miserable out I'm more likely to pass on it. Cmdr. Shepard, don't feel obligated to ride when you aren't feeling up to it. It's a good way to get turned off riding and a good way to get yourself hurt. I have a friend who always used to look down his nose at me for wearing my winter coat in October. My response was always "at least I'm warm!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Seriously? Ride when you want to ride and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but maybe you should hold onto these details next time you feel like elaborating. 44 degrees isn't that cold. At all. I'm not trying to be all macho man but your hyperbole is a little ridiculous.

it's cold enough, it's below freezing at highway speeds. Sure on a bright sunny day down country lanes it might be fine, but on a damp drizzly morning 6C is lovely and cold and not even remotely fun to be out riding in.
If you're touring or cruising and just enjoying the scenery it's not going to factor really, but if you're on a sport bike and looking to attack some twisty roads it can be dangerous at those temps because you never know when you're going to run into a frost patch in some shady low-lying spot, and your tires are never going to get any heat into them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

The disk looks ok. I honestly think the PO just lightly rode the brakes for a million miles. The pads are so smoothly glazed that I dont think they could do any damage to the disk.

The shock was unsuccessful because the Busa shock is a bit longer and wider than the stock Bandit shock. What ends up happening is that you have to cut a part of the shock mount out to make it fit. I dont think it would really compromise strength or anything, but I just dont want to be taking a sawzall to my new (to me) bike.

I didnt know you had to do this because the Bandit community is great about just assuming that everyone owns a second-gen Bandit. The shock fits fine into 2nd gens.

What sort of benefits and changes can you expect from that sort of upgrade? Is it a matter of adjustability, or a better ride? Will the bike sit differently? I might pass this info to my buddy, I remember him talking about suspension upgrades for his Bandit a while ago (though I know in advance that his answer will be "too bad I'm broke!")

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Simkin posted:

One does have to wonder how a person gets to that point in their riding career, with nobody telling them that they're dumber than a sackful of hammers, or having them write themselves and their bike into something large and unmoving.

But hey, at least he has proper lane position. :dawkins101:

"career" might be stretching it a bit. Summer job, at best.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I learned on a 6 speed, and now I'm forever trying to upshift from 5th. :sigh:

I learned on a six speed too, and it took forever to get over that on my new bike. Eventually I just learned that ~4.5krpm = ~75mph in 5th and that's all I've got.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gr3y posted:

One of these days I'll shift into 6th on my CB750 and it'll work.

It has too...

the day that it finally does is the day that you really wish it hadn't

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

A cursory googling discovered this:
http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/routeWeather.jsp

wow, that works for the UK too! Cool! (not that I'd trust any sort of UK weather forcast to be accurate)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

gave the bike a general visual inspection yesterday along with a chain lube. Noticed my rear tire is squaring up nicely, and that I make more left turns than right. Something like a Michelin Pilot Road dual compound will be my next tire I think.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I had such a good ride today. Well, it started off a bit iffy. Sort of a failed reenactment of a WW2 landing. I took the channel tunnel across to France, just to see how easy it was (answer: really freaking easy), and like an idiot forgot to fill up in Calais. I made it to Dunkerque, but I ran out of gas searching for a station. I need a GPS. Thankfully I managed to nurse it to within 3/4 of a kilometer from a gas station and only had to walk it across a mall parking lot. That pretty much ate up what little time I had so I cut my losses and headed back to Blighty. Once back on the other side of the road, I found an absolutely beautiful stretch of road (A28/A262) that was almost deserted and had dinner at a little village pub.
But that wasn't the best part.
The best part came when I was back on the M25 heading home, thinking about rearsets and I decided to try out my passenger pegs. Oh my god, it's like they were built specifically for that purpose! Feet on passenger pegs, leaned up over the tank, it's like I found another gear! 85-90mph was actually comfortable and easily maintained! Previously I never really cruised much above 75 because of the wind and vibrations. Downside is boy howdy do you ever burn through gas at that speed!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just prefer the "works right in the first place" kind of fuel delivery system. I should never have to worry whether the engine is getting the right amount of gas. If the bike starts running badly, it should be a sensor fault, not something actually wrong with the fueling system.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

all those are good suggestions but "that won't happen to me, I'm good :smug:"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

This. Nobody ever has to lay 'er down, she done laid you down son. :colbert:

Well if you can think of a better way to slide under a giant robot to shoot it in the nuts, I'd like to hear it! :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

It's my observation that a big thumper engine with FI has a hard time running smooth at constant throttle. The KTM just does not like going at a constant boring speed. The solution?

A) Rev the piss out of it
B) Constantly accellerate

I think I'm fine with this.

Also, dirtbikers, is there a trick to gripping a violently decellerating dirt bike with your body? Sport bikes are easy enough to grip the tank and use the seat to plant you in place so you don't apply pressure on the bars when stopping but I was noticing during my track day that under really hard braking I was putting more force into the bars than I really wanted to. It's possible to squeeze the bike a bit with your knees but it's not nearly as effective with a skinny slippery surface such as the KTM's meager plastics.

my 650 Pegaso has a bit of an issue with a constant ~4000 rpm. It crops up at certain speeds, but just a little variation in revs clears it right up. I also found out just recently that it loves to sing at 5500+ and there's a lot more power up there than I thought, once you crouch down out of the wind.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

This is certainly true. Redline is 7800 RPM and at about 5k the thing just takes off. If your in 1st and accellerating hard, violent wheelie. 2nd? wheelie. 3rd? If your sitting forward the front will just chatter. Sitting back? Wheelie.

Love it.

I've got about 1000rpm less headroom, and though I did get it to lift the wheel a bit once or twice, there was nothing violent about it. It might catwalk all day though, if I knew what I was doing!
I'd love to try out a KTM, the guy who sold me my Peg had upgraded to a 990 SM.

re: colour tuning

One thing I have noticed with a point&shoot, is where auto white balance is usually fine for sunny days, setting it to the "cloudy" setting when it's overcast does wonders for the colour and helps things from looking washed out.
(edit- I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I always forget about it because it's buried in a menu on my camera.)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 12, 2009

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Why hello there, are you new around here?

KTM 990 SMT -as in SuperMotoTouring
Same bike as the 990 SM only with a proper seat, a half fairing, luggage rack and mounting points for panniers, pillion space, etc. Basically a loving awesome hypermoto that is actually useful for going places. Sign me up! Only down side is the 196kg curb weight and she ain't that pretty. Oh and I'm in no position to be running out buying a brand new bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Everything that KTM is calling "SMT" is basically just a "standard". Obviously, they can't get off as a seller of Austrian Exotica as saying they're selling standards, but the duke/superduke/SMT are all just standards with pretty plastics.

I'd bet money that the SMT is essentially an Adventure with less suspension travel and 17s.

(Note, none of this is a bad thing. I just find it amusing that the new word for standard is -----motard)

well, the SMT is a 990 SM, which isn't an Adventure. How similar or different you think they are is up to you. They seem pretty different to me, spec wise (accepting the fact that a small company like KTM isn't going to have the same quantity of different platforms as say Honda).
Nothing wrong with standards, but it's such a wide and all-encompassing label that everything from a Rebel 250 to an FZ-1 to a Pegaso Strada (but not Trail, even though it's essentially identical) gets included.
Why don't we just get all automotive and call the SMT a crossover? :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dubs posted:

There's no manufacturer in the world that does, or will ever, make a 990cc Supermoto bike.

I think this is what zen is saying, not saying that it is nothing like the KTM 'SM'

while I agree that a bike like the 990 SM is straying a bit from the hardcore definition of a supermotard, it isn't the only bike in this category. Ducati makes the Hypermotard, BMW makes the HP2 Megamoto. Aprilia has the Dosoduro which is a 750 "supermoto", even though they also make the SXV 4.5 and 5.5.
My Pegaso Strada is a street version of their dual-sport Pegaso Trail. If a supermoto is a dirt bike with street tires and a road biased suspension, then what's a dual sport, or "sort of dirt bike" with street tires and a road biased suspension?
I think crossover works pretty well actually!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

That doesn't make any sense, the website says it "oozes cool."

"cool" is a Harley word for "oil", and that's a weep, not a leak.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hey 8ender, I don't know what you've done so far, but if the rectifier is getting hot, then it's working. However, if things are getting hot elsewhere in the wiring loom, that could be the problem. That was what was killing the charging system on my old VFR. Have a look at your electrical connectors, and things like the main relay housing for corrosion and/or melting. As a connector or plug gets corroded, it builds up resistance and acts like, well, a resistor. It will then get hot, start melting itself, and eventually grind the whole charging system to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm going to recheck the grounds tonight but when I limped it home and noticed the rectifier was getting real hot I checked most the the other wires by touch and found them to be okay. Just to confirm with everyone, when I set my multimeter to check resistance and put one lead on a ground wire connector and another on the frame I should get infinite resistance right?

rectifiers are going to vary by design and heatsinking etc., but the one on the VFR gets loving hot.
Ground to frame should be a short, ie. 0 ohms.