Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Everyone filtering: How do you deal with hitting someone's mirror? Unfortunately slightly grazed the front most (left) cars right mirror just now. I pushed it back and gave him an apologetic wave, then pulled up front in the right lane. Someone honked at me (unsure who), i turned around towards both cars and the driver of the one I hit waved his hand in front of his face (basically suggesting I'm crazy for filtering, a lot of drivers aren't aware it's legal).

Just curious if there is anything else I could do to make an affected driver feel less angry if it ever happens again?

(I also pulled to the side of the road after the intersection, cause technically that's an accident, but the driver just drove off)

I've only done it maybe twice. Once that I remember. White tradesman's van, which are at the perfect height to get hit. I just remember being mortified, but there was nothing I could do but give an overly dramatic mea culpa so sorry wave. The look on his face was more one of annoyed resignation, like it wasn't the first time this has happened. But it was a work van so he wasn't pissed or anything and I think he just waved me on.
I think you've just got to own it, use whatever means of apology you have available in the situation, and accept whatever dressing down you might get. That was in the UK though. Not sure how Americans would handle it, a lot of them aren't really the "apology accepted" type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

Depending on the state, there's a good chance the driver would put the car in park and start exiting the vehicle.

I don't live in a state where filtering is legal (which means people don't expect it, so doing it is dangerous), but I'd argue that if you're going to hit someone's mirror, you don't fit in that space between vehicles, and shouldn't be filtering.

Yeah I agree, it's 100% your gently caress-up for misjudging the gap. But sometimes you gently caress up and when you do, you've got to own it. When I did it, I hadn't been filtering for very long and hadn't really processed yet that van mirrors are taller and stick out farther into the lane, and are at the exact height of your bike mirrors. So what's been plenty of space right up to that point suddenly has a thing sticking out into a place where you don't expect something to be sticking. This was on the M4 going in to London, so there was space on my left to go around the mirror, I just would have had to alter my track slightly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

If you hit mirrors with your bar ends you're living pretty dangerously, it won't take much of that to tip you into the traffic.

I've never hit with a bar end. I think that's pretty hard to do, since your hand is right there so you know exactly how wide the bike is at that point. It's the mirror tips that'll make contact first, since on a lot of (most? (every bike I've owned)) bikes they stick out farther than the bar ends, and you don't really have a spacial reference other than familiarity to tell you how much more than the width of the bike/your body parts that they stick out.
Again, in over 6 years of daily filtering and 4 different bikes in that time, I think it's happened twice, and never more than once on the same bike. I think if you're dinging off mirrors more than that, you need to reevaluate your spacial awareness. Or glue some pipe cleaners to your mirror to use as feelers or something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

The one use case I saw there was for city apartment dwellers, sometimes you don't want to store anything outside that's not bolted down, and it might be slightly less of a trip hazard for you and your roommates stashed by the entryway versus a bicycle.

The thing is, electric stand up scooters (like Lime scooters) exist now, and are a zillion times better ergonomically.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You'll never guess what I saw!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Imagine getting dick enlargement surgery and afterwards all the surgical staff clap and present you with a little dick trophy

The whole clinic gathers around and takes your picture while you ring a huge bell that goes "DONG"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MSPain posted:

genuinely love the VHS tape box font for the "8R" there

Yeah I really like the graphics on the 8S/8R. I feel like the S cribbed a bit from the old ~2010 KTM Duke, but in the best way. It's a good looking bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The allure of bikes, the sales brochure stuff - pan-continental adventures, the thrill and camaraderie of the race track, riding trails and minimalist camping, makes up a very small percentage of bike ownership and riding. It's mostly just riding to and from work when the weather isn't absolute poo poo, going to the shops to pick up some food or a six pack, going out for a bite to eat, doing a loop of somewhere nearby and picturesque on the weekend, staring in frustration because today is the first nice day in weeks and also the day it decided it didn't want to run. You know, normal boring everyday life stuff, just enhanced by doing it on two wheels.
Don't beat yourself up because you aren't living the sales brochure. Take those opportunities in the rare times they come available, but in the mean time, just enjoy going to the coffee shop or the gym and spending half an hour just riding around town.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wrong thread..

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That video was dumb as poo poo. It came across as "I don't want to wear armor because it doesn't look cool" and then coming up with a reason to justify it. It would be like doing a video about how "well actually according to this one study, DOT brain buckets are just as effective at preventing skull fracture as full face, which is why I choose to wear one on my chopper and it has nothing to do with fashion because fashion is gay."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I kind of want a one piece suit just to look as dorky as possible.

Wrong thread but I'm leaving it here.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geekboy posted:

This is a nightmare that keeps getting worse the longer you look at it.

Stolen from Reddit.

The first thing I noticed was the Texas plate, so I already started at the worst.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know I've mentioned how much I like my Gsx-s750, but just riding around town running some errands, it struck me that this bike is probably all the bike I'll ever want. Other bikes do one thing or another better, but this thing is just so versatile, while still being fun as heck to ride. Comfortable, makes good noise, equally at home pootling around town in 2nd and 3rd gear as it is grinding highway miles, as it is carving through mountain passes and twisty roads. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's perfect for me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Whats the opinion on flying with your motorcycle helmet, carry on or stow away?

The airline Im flying to Japan with allows motorcycle helmets as carry on, and ive got two carry ons included in the fare, one that fits in the overhead bins and one that fits under the seat.

Current plan is to have the helmet as carry on, and use it also as extra storage space since you can stuff it with other stuff, just need to be mindful not to scratch the pinlock or anything.

For anyone else planning to ride in Japan, here couple useful sites

https://yuru-to.net/
Shows onsens, sentous etc on the map along with pricing and other stuff. Can check ahead on the route or at the end of day if you want to soak somewhere nicer than the hotel or whatever

https://trip.kabudata-dll.com/
Lists popular touring spots, though I found their map is a bit bare. Might be worth just having the Touring Mapples instead.

Flown with my helmet a bunch of times. Never had an issue. Never checked it, always carried it on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Just out of curiosity, whats the size of your helmet? Ive never flown with one so Im a bit neurotic whether it will fit into the ovearhead bin

Small moon size. Like an orange on a toothpick.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

flying airplanes can be cool but flying in airplanes in 2024 is objectively terrible. divert all airport funds to high speed rail projects

Transoceanic high speed rail. Hell, I'm all for it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

My train ride from Toronto to Tokyo is going to be... tedious.

I mean, how high speed are we talking? Maybe it cuts through the earth's mantle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's probably okay if you take the chain off so you aren't spinning the transmission 60 mph with no oil pressure.

Then you're just squaring off your rear tire for no reason.

Yeah you 100% have to take the chain off, otherwise you're going to have a bad time.
I don't think you're really going to square the tire much though. There's no drive force being applied, or rider weight. It's just rolling resistance. Put 45psi in it and it call it good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I got used to freeway riding doing 427 & 401 on weekend rides out to see my folks, so it wasn't the hellbent for death commuter traffic, and that made it a bit easier to get used to.

Evening rush hour on the QEW heading east I've only done a couple of times pre-pandemic, and I found that more stressful than the 401 lol. But then again, it's a road I'm not used to, so being extra aware of trying to find my exit and navigating etc. would be more stressful than one I know well. So idk

The lanes on the Gardiner and QEW are quite a bit narrower than the 401, so that can add to the stress.
Really though, freeways are boring by design. You aren't supposed to have excitement, be caught off guard by oncoming traffic or off camber, reducing radius turns. Everyone going the same direction at roughly the same speed. Toronto highways are a warzone, because Ontario drivers are, if I'm being charitable, aggressively ignorant. But I'd feel a lot safer riding down the Gardiner through Etobicoke, than riding down Lakeshore through the same stretch, what with all the left turns into plazas and people exiting parking lots without looking.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

Agreed, except when you’re on 401 eastbound and merge onto 427 south, it’s a long sweeper where the two right lanes end in succession, as more left lanes open up, and part of this is happening on the ramp. So you’re leaning right while shoulder checking on your left, it’s a bit much.

This was part of my commute for years. I remember it well...

There is a hack though. When the traffic is really backed up there, exit on Renforth (you'll cut out a huge amount of traffic just doing that alone, because the Renforth exit lane is usually empty). Turn right on Renforth and follow it down to Eringate, turn left, and rejoin the 427 there. Cuts off that whole clusterfuck.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 10, 2024

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

Or on the west side, the area north of Burlington (the Mt. Nemo area) is nice, it's my go-to for a casual 2-3 hour ride.

drat :aaa: all these years

My "hack" is just to enter the ramp in the leftmost lane, so it's just one lane-change onto the 427 proper. Your detour is better though.

I only found out about it because Waze sometimes sent me that way. The other trick, at the other end of the 427 (which is a bit of a judgment call because you have to make the call pretty early, so you're doing it on gut feel and some visual cues and it isn't always better), is to take the Brown's Line exit and take the cloverleaf loop back on to the Gardiner. It does have the advantage of getting you on to the Gardiner earlier, so you don't risk getting squeezed on to the collectors or have to fight that battle. And it's a pretty tight radius turn, which is fun if there's nobody in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

For the non-Toronto folks wondering what all this flappy head talk is aboot, here's the two intetchanges in question.

E-annotated

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 10, 2024