Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Argh, I'm having one of those days.

Took the DRZ-SM out for the first time to the local lake because it has some longer sweepers compared to all the roads near me. On the way out it was fine, had an awesome time, tried some counterleaning, Good times.

Then after i spin it around for the i blow one of the corners really loving wide, like dead if a car was there wide, Then keep it slow for a while then as I'm getting some confidence back i get to a corner, grab brake a bit , go down a gear, get ready to lean and then ...-nothing. no power. A first i thought that i had just blown a gear box or something but i have a feeling it was the side stand switch that people talk about.

At this point i just want to get off. So cruising home at the 100kph a bird fly out of some trees and i smack it with my forks. :argh:

Then i spilt fuel on my corbin.

Good day so far, Parked it for the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

pr0zac posted:

I'd been telling myself if the company I work for hired me full time (I'm currently a contractor) I'd allow myself to upgrade to a nicer bike and not let my stupid girlfriend talk me into selling it this time (really miss that CBR). Seeing as there was talk today at work of that happening, its time to start shopping. So the question is, Suzuki DRZ400SM, KTM 690SM-R, or comedy Hypermotard option?

Do you guys get the Husky 610?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Z3n posted:

Looks like the maintenence interval is 6k on the valves for the KTM, so that's not bad. I know that they've been working to make things more reliable. Expect things to be a bit more expensive if you decide to go with teh KTM.

Both bikes will be able to do that without an issue. It'll be a little uncomfortable for you if you're pushing it, but no biggy on the bike. Make sure if you're doing long term drones at higher RPM, you keep an eye on the oil, as some of the big singles tend to burn a little oil under long freeway use.

Also, if you're into aftermarket farkles, the KTM's going to be a bit dry and expensive there. There's a huge, established aftermarket for the DRZ, so if you want to tweak and fiddle you'll have to be patient on the KTM or pay through the nose.

The way I see it, is that the pros list of both reads like this:

Drz: Cheap outright price with cheap maint whilst being incredibly reliable.
Ktm: Being completly loving awsome.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I want to get some reflective rim tape for my DRZ because of my 1am back road commute to work.

Red vs Black.

I think ill go with red, as it matched my 80's hair metal, barb wire BNG's. Red always looks more orange when in the sun though :(.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Zool posted:

I raise my right hand and wave frantically while being thrown forward into the tank.

This is standard fare for us 'drive on the left' country's. I've seen 3-4 bikes go down from waving, The government is currently running an anti-wave campaign to stop all the deaths.

"No wave's, Lives saved"

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Yeah i know what you guys mean. It's rained where I live for two days now! Reducing my riding season to what, 51.5 weeks this year. Now I cold htfu and ride in the raid, but my bike might get dirty, and who wants that now?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Take the Scott off, put the trackbike on. Wrap a chain around the front sprocket and you can all the 12mph you want.

:)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Linedance posted:

well, the SMT is a 990 SM, which isn't an Adventure.

There's no manufacturer in the world that does, or will ever, make a 990cc Supermoto bike.

I think this is what zen is saying, not saying that it is nothing like the KTM 'SM'

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Dubs posted:

There's a GS850 for sale near me and I'm having trouble finding info on the net and most threads on the GSR seem to go unanswered.
Is there anything in particular wrong with these bikes? Are parts still common? Do they share parts with other GS, and if yes which?
It listed as running, but its not pretty so it will need a restore. It seems to have more in common with the 10/1100 bikes instead of the 750 but i could be wrong?

Took a 9hr Drive yesterday to pick this thing up. Was expecting the absolute worst from the dark/blurry ebay pictures, but it doesn't look to bad so far.

Current plan is to get the swing arm welded for the hardtail conversion, find a small tank to match the cafe bars i have and contact the chopper guy in town to put the 3meter front forks on.

Question though, As i live in the land of year round riding. How should i store the tank for a few months? Or does a few months not matter after 30 years? I cant see much in the way of rust in the tank at first look.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

aventari posted:

that's loving retarded

They called the wright crazy!

I was kidding

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Goddamn i hate my local Suzuki. Today i walked in to hear the salesman talking to a women saying that Hyosung GT's are "EXACTLY THE SAME!" bike as a Suzuki GS and that they are "built in the same factory!". That Suzuki's just cost more and there's no real advantage.

Also their tires cost MORE than rrp.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Yeah, that old myth that they have the same engine is somehow now a selling tool.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Z3n posted:

It's true that they did make the gen one SV engines, and the hyosung engine looks a lot like an SV engine, as it was pretty obviously based on it. But then again, SV engines don't seem to have this problem with magically exploding that hyosung engines do.

Oops yeah, got my poo poo mixed up, in that case its even worse. :(

The lady was gone when i walked out so atleast she buy anything while i was there.

Raven457 posted:

Are these anything more than just a chinese knockoff? The prices at the local shops here seem way too good to be true.

Korean, there some really bad stories around about them.
They are suddenly expensive in Australia.
They sell when because its pretty much the only faired bike you could buy under the learner system (now we have the Ninja 250 and i'm sure their sales have dumped).
They also sell a 'restricted' 650 under the learner laws that can be unrestricted easily, so i'm sure they are still selling them.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Look at me, I'm reposting jalopnik frontpage!

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/08/suzuki-gsx-r125-official-shot.html

http://www.superbike.co.uk/news/Suzuki_GSXR125_breaks_cover_for_2010_in_official_factory_pictures_news_288315.html

GIIIXER125, a tiny tiny Suzuki

It looks so sad.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Dual Clutch Gearbox for the new vfr, seems pretty drat awesome apart from the silly hand shift.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/honda-dual-clutch-motorcycle-t.html#more

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

IAMKOREA posted:

So there's this drainage thing in my city that runs pretty much the whole length of the city and I think it's rideable and also probably a pretty great shortcut. But what happens when a cop sees you ride up out of it through someones yard and into the street? I'm also almost positive riding along side some train tracks would be a sweet shortcut too.

Is there some sort of standard penalty for doing stupid poo poo like that on a dual sport?

My boss used to ride home thought the drainage ducts when he lived in a small town. (on a dirt bike). One day he fell asleep and stacked it into a wall, and not being near the road had to walk a long rear end way back to civilization.

He was an odd dude.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
New Chris Vermeulen youtube video mentioned it rained at world Superbike testing.

Wet session Vermeulen C. 3rd fastest, Dry sessions about 15th.

One year it will rain every race, right? :australia: :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Yeeeahp.
This arrived today. It was a stupid impulse buy and my office chair just broke, but gently caress it, ill not eat for a month.

FCR carb for my DRZ4, and some grips. ProGrip 737's much sticker than i was expecting. Hopefully they last longer than my renthals.

And some what the gently caress while on my camera. Who needs instructions, right?

Gnomad posted:

Nah, that melted plastic gives the new paint a really nice gooey surface to adhere to. Think of it as a plastic "etch" pre primer treatment.

In a totally rad 45min plastic welding class i had to take(eng degree prerequisite) the guy showed us how to do this on fairings. Scrape some plastic off the inside, hit it with some chems to goo it up and then filled some scratches with it. Better than body filler i suppose?

Dubs fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 22, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Dubs posted:

Yeeeahp.

FCR carb

Got this installed and running.. kinda. The loving vacuum attachment broke as i was putting it in, luckily i could back it out easily as its make of butter, but it started up on prime first go. ( Suzuki part atleast )

It started cold with the choke in and out (airbox cover was off still), so its a little bit lean maybe?, I need a cold morning to find out because its hot at the moment.

Actually questions,

1. Is there an easy way to attach throttle cables that i don't know? I got big rear end hand and tiny fingers to start with, then add tiny spaces and im hosed.

I thought my car oil filter was bad. (tiny JAPPPPPPSSSSS :argh:)

2. ... Questions thread.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
cops just gonna sit behind the guy, watch his own calibrated speedo and then book him on that.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

http://www.omnimoto.it/foto/popup/43636/bimota-db6-superlight

Carbon fibre trellis frame, oh gently caress its preety. :fap:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I don't know a single person in IT who rides, but i only know like 2 people who work in it.

See how it works?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
miles dont exist in the real world.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

dietcokefiend posted:

:cry:

I dont know how but I managed to either melt the poo poo out of or light my turn signal on fire. :psyduck:

Aftermarket exhaust?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Rad new Yoshi livery for WSBK this weekend.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Z3n posted:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?s=8adc830f028038648e766db20b7d64ba&showtopic=689401&st=0

RD350 engine shoved in a SXV frame. Still in progress, and awesome.

Is that gonna be a whole inch of travel at the front?

SXV is nuts enough from the factory

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

frozenphil posted:

Ugh. Has anyone else ever had a ride in where it felt like everyone was actively trying to kill you? I'm not talking about the thought process that says to ride like everyone is trying to kill you.

I once had somebody drive me off the road (100% aware, on purpose, while laughing) because i wouldn't do a wheely for his son sitting in the back seat.

I also had someobody brake check me at speed because I wouldn't rev my bike while sitting at the lights, and his mate was flicking his wrist out the window.

Z3n posted:

Looks like stock travel for the SXV. I wonder how much heavier the 2t engine is than the stock SXV engine...

I thought it looked like the tyre is going to hit the bottom of the forks.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I wish to god I could get matching pants for my jacket.

I might head to my local golf store.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
This is pretty rad. Some dude built a touch screen HUD style thing for his scooter off an arduino.

http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/arduino.php/2010/06/26/scooterputer

I thought 'LEAN' was air fuel and that it was double awesome, but it just just the actual lean of the scooter :(.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
GS500 nekkid. 380 lb weight (dry?), 45-50hp, cheap, plenty-full, upright, boring.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I've started getting 'arm pump' whilst at the gym. gently caress life :(.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I have always gotten 'arm pump' when riding, normally longer rides. But from day 1 to now I still get it. Now for whatever reason I have started getting the same forearm pain whilst lifting at the gym. Normally just in the one arm (right arm), but today the other aswell.

Probably means the poo poo I get whilst riding isn't actually 'arm pump' compartmental syndrome and is something else, and I can probably fix it. So there might be an upside afterall.

Mainly I just wanted to whinge. :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Aren't you supposed to pull the lining, and check for white cracks in the black painted foam aswell?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Bike Injury, Ripped my glove on and missed pinky finger hole.
Be Careful out thar kids.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Never heard of it in Australia, but I think I've seen it mentioned on international forums maybe.

I saw the expendables today, and the first thing I noticed during the big tough guy motorbike entrance was the the massive chicken strips on the Ducati.
I need to get out more :(.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Holy poo poo....

Its V-STROM and not V-storm. My fragile little mind :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Does whilst even fit? Gotta go while the blah blah.

spelling chat whust in CA is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

KozmoNaut posted:

Paul Senior's mustache is the best thing about that show.

That pretty much says it all.

The constant drilling-into-new-tyres-when-mounting-rear-fender is by far the best thing. Someone needs to montage that poo poo.