Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The early VFRs had problems with cam oiling leading to excessive cam wear. Couple that with Honda not having the best parts support for the bikes and a lot of them have gotten parked over the years.

Not so much the 500's though, the 750's definitely.

What we Interceptor owners loved above all was Honda's treatment of the issue. First, they denied it. Then, they blamed it on the techs not adjusting the valves correctly-the claim was that unless the adjustments were exactly the same on both sides of the forked rocker arm it would bind and cause the galling, so Honda released a special forked feeler guage. When that didn't work they blamed it on US spec oil and came up with a special oiling kit. When that didn't work they (quietly, the fuckers) replaced a bunch of cams for owners who were in the know and bitched loudly...a program that was flatly denied by my local Honda dealer and stonewalled until the program ended. So I said "what-ev" and rode my V45 Interceptor, bad cams and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Yeah, from what I've read, the V45s really had it bad.

I've always wondered what would happen if you just kept running it until the cams were effectively just round.

Mine were downright scary. They kept working, missing chunks and all.

The wear wasn't really even, the cam were chipped on the sides and were galled like fishscales in the contact area. I pretty much checked them often and adjusted them as needed and never rode the bike all that far..... :v:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm.. this is odd. My local used bike distributor has this bike just received. It's a 2008 MV Agusta F4-R 312 with 3800 miles, and it's... $13,995? KBB says the retail on this bike should be in excess of $19,000. Oh, and just for kicks I ran my insurance on it.. if I bought this 180hp, 195mph bike, my insurance is actually still $100 cheaper than a 2008 Ducati 848. Oh well, maybe I'll go sit on it (on the more realistic side, they do have a GSX-R 750 that I'm considering, which I could sit on as well).

Have you kids ever heard an Augusta at full redline wail? It's the sound an orgasming valkyrie would make right as you tore her in half right at that moment. It's the sound of Vulcan's fingernails across an iron chalkboard. OTOH, the speeding tickets the guy collected over those 3800 miles likely kept at least 1 or 2 Kali state employees on the payroll. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

Definitely a great example of the fact that distance makes no difference. They were "just going around the corner for burritos."

Like the old joke about finding out that most accidents happen within a mile of home so they moved?

It's going to be tough for that guy to recover without infections, the streets are filthy places. I've gone down geared up and the resulting raspberries were pretty miserable. That guy is going to be hurting for a long time.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I caught a bee fully loaded with pollen right in the chin vent. It kept the bee from hitting me in the face, but the cloying pollen smell from the bee pretty much rendered the helmet unusable. It was like letting a can of Glade loose in the helmet every time I'd put it on.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

BMW's bring in the chicks.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 6, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

We should have a contest, we all strap carseats with babydolls on the back of our bikes and last man not in jail is crowned king of CA or something.

edit: and when you get arrested you have to post your mug shot.

Full disclosure story-Gnoma'am trains the trainers who teach people to properly install car seats, as part of the class, there is a car seat check. I rode this to the car seat check to check the reactions of the newly trained technicians-usually they get that it's a joke but this time was a bit unruly. One of the ladies put down her clipboard and came after me in a rather intimidating fashion. I feared for my safety. It was fortunate that I was wearing a helmet, I thought she was ready to smack me one.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Just got back from a ride, 33ºF, but sunny and beautiful. One road still was frosty from this morning's fog.

If you don't have heated grips, you really are missing one of life's great simple pleasures. Flannel lined Carharts aren't bad either.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Well, the tires are 7 years old by now and 5 years is the usual accepted cutoff point. The tires are a bit oddball so you'd want to look into availability and price, other than that I don't know that I'd sweat the other soft stuff. If you do pick it up, you'll want to change the brake fluid along with the other vital fluids.

They are an amazing bike for trail riding, but the wide tires make for interesting street manners.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've been looking at sleds again, as my older daughter was showing some interest again. This time, if I get one, it won't be a 2 up machine-I want a nice light fast machine with a big motor and some paddles on the track.

The older Yamaha Mountain Max 700 sounds rather appealing. Something about the way a nice big reedy 2 smoke sounds sure makes a nice clean rip.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

Quick question before I hit submit, is tapered bearings in the triple tree a worthwhile upgrade? I don't know what's in there and I don't think it's worn but there's an odd feeling to the steering at low speed which I've never been able to put my finger on.

If (likely) your steering head bearings are worn, you need to replace them anyway, so you might as well upgrade them. It's the same amount of work to replace them with tapered or the stupid individual balls but lubing the tapered is much easier. You need a substantial hammer and a long punch to remove the old races and I usually notch the lower race on the triple tree and crack it with a cold chisel to remove it. You can also press it off if you have a big press.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

VTNewb posted:

I can't find a non loud harley exhaust :|

Go to a Harley dealer and find some take-offs. Should be pretty cheap, the chrome/finish on them is excellent and they are quiet. Aftermarket pipes are all about the noise/HP ratio rather than actual performance.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Safety glasses and gloves too. Man that poo poo burns

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
First ride of the year.

gently caress yeah.

:circlefap:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
As far as the legalities are concerned, it's still your bike and your responsibility and the charges are piling up at $10 a day or whatever the charge is. It will never be cheaper than right now to do something about it. Reclaim it now no matter the condition, keep it, part it out, whatever. The title might be under the seat for all you know, it has happened. I got a phone call from somebody years after I had solda bike, they found it in a ditch with the still signed over title sitting under the seat. I offered to to come get it but they declined.....bastards.

They can sell it at auction but if it doesn't bring in enough to cover the charges (not likely) they will come after you for the rest. Even if it's beat to poo poo, sell the parts, but letting it fester in impound is probably the last action to take.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

Although, I pretty much disagree with the Naked Bikes category. Everything there is gorgeous with the exception the Aprilia 6.5

I love the looks of the 6.5, just goes to show you that tastes are different. I know my tastes are suspect, as I willingly and willfully bought an Aztek.

I do find Japanese cruisers to be uniformly hideous.Motor Trend once referred to the "insideous gee-gaw" school of design in reference to Japanese designs, and the Japanese kind of miss the point. The chrome whores aren't going to go Tojo.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Well, my east coast and southern US friends, looks like you'll be taking some snow days off from the bike, won't you?

So, I will do the riding for you. In Alaska. That seems normal!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a little worried about the ride home tonight. I live in Florida and we're having some pretty nasty weather. They are calling for possible black ice on bridges in the area. I have to travel a 3-mile bridge on my way home. I have zero riding experience on ice/snow. Any tips?

Get a ride?

Bridges ice over before the roadways do, and the possibility of a 3 mile stretch of black ice for the unitiated is not recommended. If you have to do it, travel in the track of a car in front of you. If there is enough traffic, the heat from the tires may keep the pavement from freezing. Be mindfull of steering, throttle and braking and most of all, relax! If you can keep the wheels rolling you can ride over almost any surface, but getting all hunched up and tense wil transmit extraneous steering inputs and you don't want that.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

T-Square posted:

My father just brought home an '08 CBR 600RR from crashedtoys.com so we can tool around in the middleweight class this season.

I had to test ride it.

I live in Wisconsin.

I can't feel my face :(

Don't scratch the black patches that will form, no matter how much they itch.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Do not use chemical strippers on fairings. You will cry if you do.

Nah, that melted plastic gives the new paint a really nice gooey surface to adhere to. Think of it as a plastic "etch" pre primer treatment.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Dubs posted:

In a totally rad 45min plastic welding class i had to take(eng degree prerequisite) the guy showed us how to do this on fairings. Scrape some plastic off the inside, hit it with some chems to goo it up and then filled some scratches with it. Better than body filler i suppose?

ABS cement, available at any home improvement store. It does bond better than bondo but it doesn't seem to sand as well. That's strictly my opinion, and it wouldn't hurt anyone to try it for themselves.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

It's snowing like a motherfucker right now and the news hinted that there could be snow on the ground until April. :smith: I can't remember being as depressed as I am now.

I'll bet you don't want to hear that I put 200 miles on the bike last weekend, in Alaska....

We foolishly squandered our snow on highway closing avalanches.

I went skiing the week before that

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

God that last picture is great.

Are you still running studded tires?

Yep, won't take those off until I think the roads will stay clear. Another month should do it.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The only problem is when the engine seizes 10 seconds later. That silence is awkward.

Well, it's even more awkward in a Cessna at altitude.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
eh:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Better than a cessna on climb out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVwlodvWh7w

This post makes more sense

And yes, I do know it's a DH and not a Cessna. Still, I'll bet this was awkward!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

I think I might want a Yamaha TDM900.
I might at least want to give one a go.
Reviews are very good, seems a good commuter as well as distance tourer, and comfortable for both riders and passengers.

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt1200z-super-tenere.jsp

We'll never see this bike here in the states. We only got the TDM for a couple of years early on, the few folks I knew who had them liked them but never kept them. Most of them ended up with BMW GS's.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Confessional time, who's run from the police?

Once I did, it wasn't much of a run. This would have been back in the mid 70's and I was riding a Trail 90 through Chugach State Park. i had been riding there for ages and had never really gotten any flak over it, so when I saw the park ranger waving and motioning at me I waved back and continued on my merry way. Too bad for him he was on foot, although if he'd really wanted it he likely could have caught me. A couple weeks later they did catch some Jeep guys up there, $300 fines and they had to pay for helicopter recovery of the Jeeps. That cost more than the fine did.

Another time I was riding one of my favorite roads at "pace". I looked in the mirror and saw berries and cherries off in the distance, kind of behind a curve, so I dialed it way back and decided to play dumb. As I rode farther, I could see that the trooper was lighting up folks in front of him but as soon as he got around them, he shut the lights down...what I surmised was that he wanted me and needed those people to get the gently caress out of his way so he could tag me. By the time he caught up, I was well and truly a model citizen and he went away empty, at the stop sign where he caught up he wouldn't look at me. 1000 yard stare, straight ahead.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

story time.

I've been annoyed with my suzuki. It keeps feeling like it's sidewinding in tight turns and at high speed, and for several weeks, whenever I got on it, I felt like I was going to die for some reason.

So someone flags me down while I'm riding home from work yesterday and tells me my rear tire is low. I knew it, but it's hard to tell if it's really low or not when it's leaned over on the stand while I'm not sitting on it. And also hard to tell when I'm sitting on it.

Anyway, I go to the gas station to put some air in it and the pressure gague doesn't move. 'Great' I think, it must be broken. Well I'll eyeball it. So I inflate for a few seconds, and release, and then the pressure gague pops up to 10. 'Oh. Huh.' and I keep filling and it pops up to 20, and so forth.

Anyway, it turns out that wheels roll easier when they're inflated, and bikes corner better that way too.

So this morning, I take it to the station again to check the front tire (which was low 30s) and, why the hell not, the rear again.

Rear was at 15 overnight.

So I'm thinking it's an electrical problem.

You used synthetic energy conserving oil and burned out your handlebar switches. Of course it's electrical! Finally somebody is listening to the voices of experience and reason!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'll wave to scooter riders but draw the line at Spider riders.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

-Inu- posted:

I checked my chain and noticed it was as loose as it could physically be. I went home right after that because I was afraid it was going to jump a tooth. :saddowns:

The jumping a tooth isn't bad-if it wraps around your rear wheel and locks up, that would be bad. If it doesn't jump or wrap up your back wheel but jams into your case and breaks out a nice chunk, that's bad.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I wired the FZ1 for my electric gear and installed grip heaters. The heaters I could find locally are ATV heaters and warned that they are not intended for use on motorcycles as they might melt the throttle sleeve.

Promises, promises. Lets see just how well they do heat up. :supaburn:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

8ender posted:

Bought some new bike boots and now they're calling for snow :(

:canada:

:alaska: :negative:

It snowed here Tuesday, just a dusting but gently caress. Now it's sunny but 20ºF. I was planning to get some rides in this week while I'm off but I'm not 100% sold on the idea of a long ride at 20º. Meanwhile it's baking on the east coast.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Having sold my GS, my FZ1 is now my primary bike. It came with a Akropovic pipe installed and the original pipe was included. the Ak pipe defintely adds power and snap to the bike but it's loud and seems to vibrate the whole bike at certain frequencies, making for a less than pleasant ride. The stock pipe is absurdly heavy and bulky and the bike seems to run rich with it installed, I'm guessing the original owner jetted the bike for the Ak. I'm trying to figure out how to quiet the Ak down without choking it down too much.

"If it's too loud you're too old". Well then GTFOff my lawn you drat kids!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I found DB killers, took some measurements of my pipe outlet, bought a small piece of muffler pipe and made my own. Bike still snappy but noise reduced and best of all, the throb that i experienced at normal highway speeds is gone. I figure that if I can hear the gears whine above the sound of the pipe I should be OK.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm charging some batteries for my boy's bikes even as I type. The Ducati was easy to extract, the Virago was more work than I expected. It was quite the chore to dig it out of the little cubby they shove it into. My smart charger also declined to even attempt to charge it, so I ended up having to hook the Ducati and Virago batteries tegether and then the charger would play ball. I don't pay that charger to be smart, just to shove electrons into the battery. And then I have to work on the Ninjette. You just never stop being a dad.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

So what happens then? Some orphan kid with cancer gets it for free and can't afford any gear and crashes and dies but in the end he was happier this way?

In other news:

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

It is snowing right here, right now. It snowed a couple inches yesterday. "This is bullshit, man!"

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Take that mother to Bonneville!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Mcqueen posted:

Went for a ride today, approached a group of probably 14 bikes traveling in the opposite direction. Each and every single one of them gave me a wave. Being a new rider, that poo poo made me happy as gently caress. So instead of going home and doing chores and getting groceries I rode around for another 2 hours having a blast.

Chores and groceries can wait until you are dead. Ride now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
This should be the official motorcycle riding shirt