Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Just vary the RPM as much as possible, keep an eye on nuts and bolts to make sure everything is still staying on. Change oil often to flush out metal flakes from freshly-machined parts. Don't lug motor. Check the valve clearances after a few hundred miles to make sure that they're still within spec. (Don't forget that first service)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

If you have the tools, you should do the first service yourself. Just to get to know your bike. The reason I brought it up is because I was just looking up steering head bearing replacement on Youtube and learned that readjusting the steering head nut is one of the things often neglected at the first service (among other things... I don't think my bike had ever had its valve cover off, at 6,000 miles, before I adjusted the valves two months ago)

Renaissance Robot posted:

The only reason I eventually want a new bike is so I can bitch about things the factory hosed up instead of things the PO hosed up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BavarianBomberWrench/videos

I'd point to the videos on this account from about 2-3 years ago, but Youtube has long since abandoned organizing users' videos into pages.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

There's also purple locktite, which is weaker, being designed for softer metals, like brass. Might be good to hold a bolt just in place.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

DR800 Big

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I think the DR650 is shorter than the KLR. It's definitely shorter than the DRZ.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The best reason to start small is that, once you go big, you've gone big forever, and you'll spend the rest of your life trying to recreate that feeling again. If you start on a 100cc bike and move up 100cc each year or two after that, you can draw out the "WHOOOAAA NELLY" factor for a good, long time.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

Anyone with a VFR (6th-gen) done anything about the windscreen? I'm thinking about the MRA Vario with the adjustable spoiler on the top.

In the meantime, if it's truly horrible, you can just remove the screen, leaving a big gap in the front fascia.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Since we're on supermoto talk, there was also that FT500 Ascot, which was the version with the 500cc single cylinder.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's me, I'm that PO. (I use gear oil.)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

On fighting parking tickets, my state at least will give you a good discount if you show up where you're supposed to contest it. If you win, the ticket's off, if you lose, you have to pay the full amount, but if you don't want to hedge your bets/don't have an airtight case, this might be an option for you to still save some money.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

I think we could go even MORE elegant. Oil in the frame and gasoline in the seat

Battery under the seat, sprung seat.

Z3n posted:

P sure it's a cable drive so replace the cable probably.

The EX250 has an electronic tach.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The iPhone doesn't have a hard drive, does it? Do magnets even affect solid state drives?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

If your JNCO shorts and flip flops fill with black ink when you come off of your learner 1000 then you might be a squid

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Engine hoist on the frame or bust :colbert:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

That IS convenient, considering that they're also panniers.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I have been a longtime balaclava rider, and while it's much warmer than a helmet alone, the seam that runs along the dorsal edge of the fabric becomes VERY uncomfortable at extended highway speeds. The wind mashes your helmet into it and you end up with a gigantic vertical mark across your forehead. After too many headaches, I'd had it. I've since switched to a neck warmer (such as the kind used for skiing and other outdoorsy activities). Ten bucks. You can also put your head through the balaclava face hole and bring that down around your neck.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you can get balaclavas specifically for use under helmets that don't have that seam - some just have two seams at the corners, the more expensive ones have no seams at all.

Thanks, I didn't know that these existed. When I asked to see a balaclava at the outdoors wear store, the saleswoman brought out another balaclava with a seam, and I thought that that was that, they were all the same. Could have really used one today.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

No wonder 2-strokes were banned.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I take the GN125 on highways regularly here in metropolitan New York, because traffic rarely allows you to go faster than 60 mph anyway. The GN is a regular-sized 125, though. (Might I add, with an extra gear and 7mph up on the Grom what the hell I still can't fathom that.)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

1. How did you get a GN125 in north america I didn't think that was a thing

2. What is the absolute top speed you've seen on it? They seem to vary wildly but it's rare for me to ride on that can do better than 100km/h on level ground

The GN125 was sold here for a short time, 1992-1996. Absolute top speed is limited by how many revs you have; given enough time, I can wind it out all the way to redline in top gear, which is like 105 km/h indicated. This is probably not on a level surface but on imperceptible downgrades, with a tailwind, etc. When there's a headwind you can barely get to 90 km/h.

Come to think of it, the Grom's 125 must make most of its power down low. The GN doesn't exhibit "good" power until 6K. Redline is 10K.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Your 50cc doesn't have a liquid refreshment receptacle with a 2 ft. long curly straw? :smug:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

My Grom is 125cc. My dick? Well. :smug: Let's just say it would be owned by a dentist. Wait...

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Harley-Davidson Issues Front Brake Recall for Safety Reasons

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

My red-loctited bar-end weights were a snap to undo. Just heat them up with a heat gun until they are hot to the touch. Then use a big phillips screwdriver bit meant for an impact driver, attached to a socket extension, attached to a breaker bar. Loosened really easily.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's called "mint" because mint is growing under the passenger seat (because the blown-out window was never replaced)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

You gotta have four wheels... ...two two wheels. Even just to service one bike while you use the other.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Come to think of it, don't F1 cars have that? Hydraulic jacks somewhere inside the body which instantly shoot down and boost the entire chassis upwards.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm in the mood for a breakdown of quick vs. fast tonight.

Quick: Can make a grown man giggle when he opens the throttle
Fast: Can set a lap speed record on a racetrack

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

My break-in rules:

1. Take the glass cutter and cut a fist-sized incision into the side of the engine (make sure no one's home first)
2. Reach in and tickle the crankshaft until it loses its virginity
3. Twist your wrist to the left and steal $20 from the clutch basket
4. Escape and never return...

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I feel that your proclivities to riding would be stimulated by not owning a cursed strom.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The TB on that engine is the diameter of a small coin, literally every other orifice in the intake has more surface area than the one the engine is actually breathing through, so you aren't 'derestricting' anything; often by making the holes bigger you actually reduce air velocity in the intake tract and make the bike slower/more surgy. Making the throttlebody bigger would likely squeeze out a little bit up top but penalise the low revs and throttle response; this is one of the built-in compromises every street engine has.

The Mototune guy was right!!

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Aren't speeding tickets in Swizerland adjusted for your income, or is that only for more severe cases of speeding?

You're thinking of one of the Scandinavian countries. Norway?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

If the FZ8 has fuel injection, it's much less of a hassle... The high fuel pressure created by a fuel pump in comparison to, like, 0 fuel pressure with gravity feeding will help eliminate the possibility of clogs and such. The ethanol gas here is so bad, though, that it can still make the injectors stick, for at least a little while.

Because of this, I would definitely use fiuel preservative, in a full tank. Don't listen to the coworker about draining the tank, unless you intend to take the tank indoors. Condensation that builds up in a cold, empty tank will rust it out.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

puberty worked me over posted:

The biggest issue I see with low power bikes in the United States is people will try to kill you because you're going a little too slow for them and shaving that 3 seconds off their commute trumps all safety.

If you can't accelerate out of a lovely situation you may be hosed. A little easier on dual sports because you can more easily go off road if necessary to avoid danger.

No way in hell these narcissists would risk damage to their automobiles just to plow through you. Instead, they pass you across a double yellow. That's on city streets. On the highway they just change lanes. Just don't get cocky and take your 125cc into the left lane in fast-flowing traffic. This is in the Northeast. I don't know if they're more bloodthirsty out west/south.

Pulling over or off to the side is also always an option.

I did read an entertaining statistic about car vs. bicycle maulings once, though: bicyclists who wore helmets were more likely to be hit by a car.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Doesn't the thin extension bone to the right also get a rod? :(

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It matches that black plastic trim piece coming down off of the gas tank.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Just be extra careful that that shoelace doesn't hook onto anything else! Or you might be in for two titanium rods.

Maybe you should stuff it into the cast when riding.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Yeah, no alumin(i)um.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

18 hp at the rear wheel for a 421 lb. bike is kinda like 11 hp for my 232 lb. GN125. I've been doing fine with that for 20,000 miles. The Meteor even has a centerstand, which nothing gets any longer. But a 232-lb. light weight isn't something that's easily replaceable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Honestly all of you complaining about cramp probably need to look at your technique first. It shouldn't take any effort whatsoever to hold a constant throttle - if you're cramping you're either putting your wrist in a weird position, or holding on far too tight, or both.

There's also the matter of a well-lubed cable. It takes considerably more effort to modulate a throttle valve with a crusty cable. I had this problem (in fact, I have it again and I need to lube it again), and after getting some lube in there I was shocked at how effortless the throttle pull was.