Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bugdrvr posted:

The gel grips help to a point. They are certainly nicer than 20 something year old hard rubber ones.
Some people fill the inside of the clip ons with BBs to help with the vibration as well.

I think lead shot works better, more mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

redscare posted:

I want to hear about that lucky son of a bitch that got run over by a semi and lived to tell the tale. Did it only run over his leg or something?

There was a bicyclist in Madison, WI that had a full sized delivery truck run over his head and he lived; his only injury was a concussion. His bicycle helmet saved his life.

http://www.gazetteextra.com/mangledhelmet051407.asp

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
As long as it didn't go on your driving record, your insurance company will never know about it.

I can't tell you if it went on your driving record or not, though. That depends on the department and the state you live in. You should be able to check your own record... give your local PD a call and ask them (or just ask a cop somewhere, as long as they're not busy).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'll do full tuck on the freeway if I'm facing some annoying headwinds or if I'm just trying to move around or sit in a different position, but not because I'm trying to look cool or be aerodynamic.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nerobro posted:

Uh... when you're trying to get out of a headwind. You are trying to be aerodynamic. I'll do it too, a 30mph headwind when doing 70 can get to you.

Right, I was kind of thinking of something else, a poor choice of wording there.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

8ender posted:

Taking the back roads isn't fun on a car but its some of the most enjoyable riding you'll ever do on a bike. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

The best riding I've ever done was me simply heading out in some random direction and then whenever I felt like it stopping at a crossroad and picking whichever direction looked the least traveled.

It helps to have a GPS unit to find out how to get back home though :)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

440 2t + coasting downhill at a decent speed + 1st gear + throttle open + no clutch

i don't think i ever opened up more than a third of its power and it still scared me.

If you had started riding on a literbike you wouldn't be having this problem, pussy.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

I hate to dogpile on this, but gently caress that guy, he got what he deserved. You could smell the bullshit straight from the first news article about this, and I'm glad justice was done.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

dietcokefiend posted:

On this note if I already have AAA for my car and stuff, does that also work for the motorcycle or is that separate coverage?

The AAA +RV plan will cover motorcycles.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

KidDynamite posted:

Is it wrong I want to punch a friend in the face because he's stunting on the open street on a beautiful r6.

specifically doing this

Click here for the full 565x604 image.

No, in fact, you should punch him twice.

At least tell him to go find some farm roads or an empty industrial park and wear some loving safety gear while he's at it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Deeters posted:

I also learned that most people are terrible riders and I want to stay the hell away from them.

Aint that the truth. I happened to be going the same direction as some idiot on a big "custom" with straight pipes and I had to chuckle to myself watching him wobble and go so slow through a roundabout and up a long curved freeway ramp, but he'd open it up at any straight section he could.

It's pretty accurate to stereotype riders based upon a two things... safety gear and what they are riding. If they are not wearing safety gear, if they're riding a "custom" or a supersport, or if they're riding a giant expensive looking cruiser and they're not commuting to/from work, they're probably terrible at riding.

People who are motorcycle enthusiasts tend to wear safety gear, tend to commute if possible, and tend to not ride bikes that are big status symbols. (in my opinion/experience anyways)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It's obviously a generalization, and obviously isn't going to be 100% correct, but you can make some easy assumptions about people based on those things, and more often than not, it's probably accurate.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Christoff posted:

So if you're at a stop light at a big intersection and it's the middle of the night or there's just no one around can you, uh, legally run it or anything? I got stuck for a while last night because knowing my luck there was a cop at one of the gas stations.

God forbid you have to get out of a gated community

Depends on where you live.

In Wisconsin, if you wait 45 seconds, there are no other vehicles that will trip the light, and it is safe to do so, you can run the red light going straight or turning left. Almost no one seems to know this however.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Retarded Pimp posted:

ATGATT thread link, guy and rider got rashed pretty bad.

>>Don't click if you're squeamish.<<
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,19460.0.html

Required reading for new riders. This is what happens when you try and show off, and when you and your passenger don't wear proper full safety gear. Don't be this guy.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

eviljelly posted:

I'm sure cops are well liked by prisoners, too, so that should make things real easy for him.

He'll do 100% of his time in solitary confinement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Seems every MSF class has at least one harley rider that's been riding for years and is just finally getting around to the license part of it.