Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TheBacon posted:

In dumb news, WA licensing thing is loving dumb as poo poo, and basically the form for “moving to wa” license transfer doesnt have any box or anything to check for motorcycle endorsement and the webpage just has some small footnote link at the bottom in the middle of a half dozen links to click on for motorcycle license. I was apparently supposed to just remember on my own to mention to the agent to transfer my M1 (even though it says it right on my CA license) and now that I didn’t and he punched it I might have to do the whole exam and poo poo for WA as if I haven’t been riding for a decade…

FYI:

from here:

https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/getmoto.html, under Additional Requirements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I managed 3500 miles on the Monkey 125 from May until now and about 70 hours on the old KTM 250 dirtbike.

Favorite experience: finally figuring out the PV on the KTM was only rotating halfway because a very dumb idiot put a spring in upside down when he rebuild the topend in January. What a loving difference a fully functioning PV makes!

Least favorite experience: grenading the Monkey 125. But the rebuild was a neat project and rewarding.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I forgot a picture of the Monkey mess. The secret ingredient is corndogs

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I used to pedal-bike a lot more. I have a real nice Giant roadbike that weighs 20lbs complete.
In 2015 or 2016 I put ~10k miles on it. Since then it's been a steady downhill (hah!), especially since the pandemic started and my best cycling buddy died unexpectedly :(
I'll probably sell it and the MTB soon.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

If an sv650 is too much for a learner (it is in my book and according to many governments around the world)

story time!
I grew up in East Germany (one day I'll get around to do an A/T about it) and at age 16, this is what everyone was riding:

50 glorious CC. The driver's license took a while to get, with at least 18-20 hours of riding under the watchful eye of an instructor.
At 18, you could get a license for something bigger. However, you had to go through the whole process again: theory in the class room, written test, and another 18-20 hours (minimum) of riding.
The biggest bikes you could reasonably get at the time were MZ bikes from 125cc-250cc. My brother had a couple of those back then.
A few examples from different years:

By the time I turned 16, the East had fallen and I couldn't be bothered to get a Simson so I got a Honda MBX 80 instead:

Almost everyone else still rode the clapped out Simson's around. The cool kids with money got new Yamaha RT80s (might be wrong on model, but it was an 80cc dual sport basically)
I rode it for a year and eventually moved here. Now I got a Monkey 125 and an older KTM 250 EXC for offroad shenanigans.

The Simsons experienced a fantastic retro revival over the past couple of decades. Clean S51 bikes will now sell for more than when they were new.
My nephew has a shop dedicated to building/rebuilding them and he's getting business from all over Germany.

Edit: thought of something else that was fun. People were experts at squeezing more power out of the S51. Bored up, stroker crank, whatever to get more displacement. Unfortunately, the cops were also experts at recognizing telltale signs and they would absolutely seize the bike and take it apart to prove it had been tampered with.
Biggest lol: They still do this today. My nephew had one of his bike taken apart by coppers just a year ago.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 2, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Opopanax posted:

Less arguing, more beautiful Soviet bikes :swoon:

MZ and Simson fans would be very upset at being grouped in with Soviet bikes.

I'll just quote Wikipedia because it's pretty interesting - and sad.

quote:

Simson was a German company which produced firearms, automobiles, bicycles and motorcycles, and mopeds. Under the Third Reich, the factory was taken from the Jewish Simson family, and was renamed several times under Nazi and later Communist control. The Simson name was reintroduced as a brand name for mopeds produced at the factory in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR). Simson mopeds were then produced in Suhl (Germany) until 2002.

MZ isn't quite as interesting, but they've been around since 1906 in Saxony.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

Several of the folks that were taking the class in lieu of renewing their temps every year like they'd done for god knows how long had ridden in on their baggers, and two or three of them did not pass the riding exam

That was exactly my experience. A young guy on some Harley almost wrecked and was dismissed altogether by the instructor.
Another guy on a Victory bike had to redo a few sections, as did two other people on sport bikes.
I felt a bit out of place on my little Monkey but it gave the instructor a chuckle. Myself and another guy on an older YZ400F (without any stand) were the only test takers that did not have to rerun any sections at all.

Edit: most of them rode the bikes there on temp permits.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 3, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I use Strava for my dirt bike rides, but I choose ebike as activity.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phy posted:

I found out Honda brought the Monkey to Canada this year, cause I just met a dude riding one

(It is rather warm here this month, and this is speaking as someone who is familiar with chinooks)

Now, if they'd kindly bring the the Cub and Trail across as well...

Been having a blast riding my Monkey around these past few days as it's been warm enough to ride without all my winter gear.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
More chat!
I'm moving from sunny, dry Eastern WA to Portland next week. I'm guessing the Monkey is going to see a lot more rain now.
I'm planning on changing my open trailer for the dirt bikes to an enclosed setup. Any other tips?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Portland itself is a good ways away from the coast. But the dirt bikes will definitely need that, going to be visiting the coastal sand dunes areas often.
I used to run stand-ups in the surf and applied a silicone based protectant liberally then. I'm assuming this stuff is similar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

right arm posted:

kind of. they’re indian built, not that that is a bad thing, but it’s just a different standard compared to their 1290s. the 790 and 890s already are getting cost cutting measures applied to them (bybre instead of brembos, mech clutch instead of hydro, etc). they’re cool & fun but not something I’d own long term. the 390 motor was designed at a price point and as such has umm poor decisions applied to it compared to their older designs like the LC8. even the newer revisions of the LC4 and LC8c are far better motors than the 390 single will ever be

In the same vein - how are the BMW 310 bikes?
I'm considering picking up something larger than my monkey for commuting and occasional longer rides. Those look attractive, but the NC750X/NC700X seem to do that pretty well from what I've seen so that's what I'm sort of maybe set on? Idk

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Sounds like my jam. Thanks for all the viewpoints expressed here, I appreciate it. It's going to be a while still before I'm actually in the market to buy something. Gotta move next week, sell a house, buy a house, and pay off a couple other bikes and cars. Hopefully within a year I'll be ready.
I need to take a serious look at what I'm actually missing in my lineup. The Monkey is perfect for short rides around town.
My old KTM 250 EXC does trail duty and dunes, it's just crazy fun. Got a KLX300R and KLX140 for the kids to accompany me on the KTM rides.
So I really don't need a dual sport or adv bike. A commuter that does ok on freeways would be good.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dog Case posted:

Is there a good online map for finding dirt and gravel roads for the US that allows you to filter for motor vehicles rather than bicycles and hiking?

Last year at some point I was looking at something that's no longer in my history that did this but now I can't find it.

Gravelmap seems like it could be what i was looking at but now I can't find any options to filter for use on there

Can't speak to it on a national level, only regional. In Washington State, Green dot road maps are extremely helpful. WA's state forestry websites are also very helpful, as are the national forest websites.
Other than that, my approach has been to just google these terms in the areas I'm looking for.
Also look for Back Country Discovery routes for specific states. (i.e., WABDR, ORBDR, etc)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

Between driving a Jeep and riding bieks I just wave at everything and let god sort it out

This is my suffering, as well.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I ride an older 250 2T KTM often enough and I still can't pull em off. I can lift the front easily enough, but I lack the commitment to give it more and keep it up and that's despite riding in mostly soft sand all the time. I just suck and want to avoid crashing as much as possible

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slide Hammer posted:

Remembering my CB250's primitive turn signals that didn't even have a cancel button: just a center position, left signal, and right signal. Signal is on when switch is extreme left or right, otherwise off.

I've never operated a motorcycle that had anything nicer than this.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My 21 KLX 300R also does the electronic idle control. Sometimes that's weird at low speeds in off-road terrain.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also lol at the thought of buying 65 miles of wire to make a new loom

Don't forget the dollar store spade terminals and some wire nuts

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not to derail the MAGA chat, but lord help me I started looking at new/used NC750x bikes again.
It's a good thing I can't really find any locally. There's one dealer trying to sell the base model for $1200 over MSRP. Also the only dealer with any stock, I wonder if that's a coincidence.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Dumb question: how do I know when I need to change out a tire? I see there are wear bars, but the center is worn quite a bit more than the wear bar locations.
This is a 12 inch tire fwiw. It has 4400 miles on it now and it's not giving me any sort of issues yet.

Another dumb question edited in: The front hasn't got nearly the same wear. Should I be changing the tires out as a set? I think I know the answer

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 6, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks. I'm more accustomed to gauging wear on knobbies and paddles are any big chunks missing?

This silly Monkey is my daily until I can afford to buy yet another bike.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Webike is a great option for OEM parts, but they don't have everything in stock, either. They are located just outside Tokyo but their shipping cost and speed are excellent. I'm in Portland and I generally get my orders in 48 hours with the cheapest air shipping option (usually DHL).
When I rebuilt my Monkey engine I ordered most of the OEM parts there.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Finger Prince posted:

I went on a nice ride down to Deception Pass today.

Nice pictures and that's a very nice drive. I trailer-camped in Anacortes for two weeks in 2015 (?) and biked all over the place there on a bicycle. Going over the Deception Pass bridge was by far my favorite.
Not a lot of room tho and a lot of rubber-necking

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

That's been my exact experience in trying to find "cool looking" bar end mirrors for my Monkey. I got it with a round set of bar ends and OEMs still wrapped in shipping boxes from the dealer.
I went through two more sets before deciding the vibration and constant loss of position (or holding my clutch) wasn't worth whatever I was trying to achieve.
I put the Honda OEMs on and they are fantastic. Zero vibration, look great.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
WA used to be that way but now you have to pass a short riding test, too. And it's administered by private 3rd parties now

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Dad screens are a lifestyle choice :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whelp I signed up for a LiveWire test ride

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was going to say that this seems a bit high but then I noticed that there is a significant difference between what Cycle Gear charges for an offroad tire ($30) a street tire ($50). I've only ever had offroad/paddle tired installed/removed. A dealer also charged $30 iirc.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Very cool

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

IIRC Washington makes you get a separate endorsement on your license for a sidecar or other 3 wheeled vehicle, the regular motorcycle endorsement won't cover you

This is correct. You'll have to do the licensing course over for a 3 wheeled vehicle.
I think Oregon laws are similar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My kid works at a gas station. He just sent me this. Enjoy, ATGATT nerds

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't care how far I'm going on my little Monkey or how hot it is - ATGATT.
I hosed around and found out early in life (on East German mopeds lol) that road rash takes a long, painful time to heal

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

dema posted:

We have Tegaderm these days. It's magical.

TotalLossBrain posted:

East Germany

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I put ~25k miles on bicycles over the last ten years and had only two very minor low speed crashes. Despite the low speed, one still hosed up one of my tattoos slightly. :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's not as fun and more difficult than it looks. It's underpowered. It's very old and parts are getting harder to come by.

Please go for it. They are very cool machines.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

How is that not just a really lovely jetski?

It's much harder to ride than even an old Kawi JS 440.
There's a very small, very dedicated community around the Wetbike. I was into Jetskis for a few years, but never those. Their main draw is rarity. Some people like it because it's hard to ride.
In my limited experiences with riding these machines, I found that low power was fine and hard to ride was fine, too. But a combination of the two just gets boring to me, personally.

PS. Kawi decided at one point to throw a single cylinder Jetski at the world - the horrible JS300

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 26, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Ok but like, what is the point of it? As in what is the theoretical marketable advantage? Not having to use a trailer? Just looks like a solution looking for a problem.

It was sold for like two years, with few units sold.

I think if it hadn't been featured in a Bond movie, nobody would know about it. Just like the 1969 Sea-Doo nobody knows about.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
2smoke Jetskis haven't been made in a couple of years now. Yamaha was the last to stop, after 25 years of pretty much the same Superjet without major changes. 700cc twin cylinder case induction, dual 38mm SBNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

italian quid posted:

Its still big in karting too but its either a bunch of small italian builders or Rotax trying to keep a 125 racing engine from the 90s limping along while charging $4000 in the process. They're only alive by grace of being low volume high margin enough to keep smaller firms in the game and the IP for two stroke technology being near worthless now.

Yeah I've seen similar in Jetskis and also participated.
A basic ported Superjet 701 with a nice exhaust, ignition - probably around 4k assuming you provide the engine
You can also spend ~25k (the prices in this niche engine building industry are always being hushed, idk WTF the deal is) on an engine that's based on (almost) the same platform, but fully machined out of aluminum. 1400cc, +16mm stroker crank, full digital total loss ignition, dual 49 mm carbs ($3k right there with manifold and reeds).
The rest of the drivetrain and Hull can set you back another $6k-$20k