Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Kawasaki is actually building the rumored 250cc I4 supersport, the ZX-25R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqknaCCvq4s

Supposedly ~60hp and in the ballpark of $9,500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I imagine it's because this thing costs as much as a real supersport and traction control was a relatively cheap way to pad the feature list

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Ducati posted:

The minimalist full-LED headlight with its V-shaped DRL captures the spirit of the Streetfighter V4 perfectly. On the one hand, it recalls the front of the Panigale V4 and, on the other, evokes the crazy grin of the Joker (the comic strip character from which the Ducati Style Center drew inspiration for this new Bologna-built naked).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

If I ride to my optometrist appointment tomorrow and they dilate my eyes, will I die on the ride home

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

They dilated one eye waaaay more than the other one which was extremely distracting for like four hours. I'm glad I drove.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

is it even possible to make an I4 worse than a 180 degree I2? (I haven't ridden the Honda, or an 00's Katana)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I feel much better riding my motorcycle around town than my bicycle because the motorcycle safety gear is SO much more protective.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

The implications for learners are interesting. Easy speed with hefty risk, or hard-won craft?

Look pal I don't want to get run over, slow bikes are dangerous.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I dropped my GS500 by leaving it on the centerstand in my parents' driveway which was on a bald hilltop and the wind blew it over

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

did the seller see it happen

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

Those shoes are a war crime.

I would actually find those shoes quite helpful, since I apparently shift with my toes too far back and I've worn an ugly spot into the pleather in front of the toe pad on my Alpinestars.

They're still a war crime and everything but I mean... at least this one would have a purpose :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I was on the way to the grocery store the other day and stopped behind a dude on an electric bike (a Zero naked, I think) in a helmet, moto jacket, skinny jeans, hipster harness boots, and... fingerless gloves.

He was on his phone stopped at the light and had to ride off with it in one hand when the light went green before stuffing it back in his pocket.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Rolo posted:

I was gonna bring up the Rebel 500 as a perpetrator but apparently they fixed it a little for 2020.

To:

Not great but much better.

epalm posted:

This OK:

But this... this rectangle offset-from-center in a circle:

How did this get approved. Why did this happen. This is like the website you get when your cousin’s fiancé does it.

All of these pseudo-circular LCD gauges are insanely ugly! They ruin the XSR and the Husqvarna singles imo. And I have that stupid MT-07 dash that gets blocked by my chin bar.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I fill up the tank while sitting on the bike, but before and after that I stand up to remove the tank bag and then retrieve it from the top of the gas pump.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I still want one.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I love the neo cafe stuff but Honda needs to sell more than one paint job

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

:five:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

So it's a SuperCub minus some body work, plus fork gaiters?

It looks way cooler than the SuperCub

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Rolo posted:

The 2021 Yamahas are starting to show up online and the new R3 is rad as hell.

this makes me think of fruit roll-ups

e: I mean that as a good thing btw

FBS fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 5, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

In the course of getting ready to move I'm throwing out some old magazines but taking one last leaf through a few of them including some ten-year-old issues of Sport Rider. I found a product that was, sadly, too pure for this world: https://www.motosport.com/sportech-cranker-tank-bag-obs

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I hope y'all like wheel cleaning

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Finger Prince posted:

That's what rain is for!

lol

This is 500 miles since my last wheel cleaning with one ten-minute ride in the rain ~200 miles ago

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

GSX-Rs all look the same to me

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I hope they change the design on the engine covers at least (they won't)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

180 degree ptwins are just the most boring possible engine, that's all

I even have a weird nostalgia for that sound and feeling because my first bike was a GS500 but I'm sure not in any hurry to buy another one

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

are they still pretending they're doing an ATV or have they admitted it was a stunt like the rest of the cybertruck presentation

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Their other bikes are actually made properly, because they're actual motorcycles.

Does this also apply to the Grom-alikes (Monkey/SuperCub/Trail125)?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I know the Cub has been around forever but in the US the Grom came first, then the Monkey then the Cub then the Trail and they all seem to be based on the same drivetrain. TBH I don't know if the USDM cub is the same one they sell worldwide but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that's the only non-poo poo one

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Almost immediately beaten in every possible way by an inexpensive Suzuki?

it's hard to believe the Suzuki of today is the same company that made the '99 SV650

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I've had an irrational attraction to Aprilias since before I even really got into motorcycling, based entirely on internet media consumption and motojourno fantasizing and google image search and that one episode of House, and even I don't really want a Shiver.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

you said the same thing about KTMs

no way do I just own Japanese bikes my whole life

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Moving sucks in a lot of ways but it can have bright spots, like when your insurance rates for both car and bike drop by half. $38/month for full coverage on the MT-07 through Dairyland. Hell I think my first liability-only policy eleven years ago was more than $20/month. (of course, I was 20 instead of 31...)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Looks like the US journos dropped their RS 660 first ride articles today:

Revzilla Common Tread [Ari Henning]
Asphalt and Rubber
Motorcycle.com
Ultimate Motorcycling

there are other articles out there but these looked the least like verbatim regurgitations of the press material

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

drat the new MT-09 is ugly as hell

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Coydog posted:

What is interesting is that a round headlight makes even the FZ09 look really sharp. Completely transforms the look.

Yeah I just saw a similar conversion for the -07 that looks fantastic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

single round headlights are the second best sort of headlight, after double round headlights

Buell swaps are cool swaps

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Triumph Trident details dropped today https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/roadsters/trident/trident-660

$7995, 80 HP, 47 lbft, and:

Seems both competitive and unremarkable in the class but it looks kinda cool

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

While I'm here: anyone with a first gen LAMS MT07 can retrieve the missing 30hp with a dremel tool and a few minutes of effort so that the throttle can open past 30%. This adds it to the list of bikes where this is possible, z650 is the other really notable one.

What's the legal status of a bike thus modified? Can you still ride it as a learner with that 30hp restored? Or do you have to wait til you graduate to the full license, and it just saves you from having to buy a bigger bike?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I was gonna say slavvy if you don't care for the CB650R it looks like there's a chance you won't like the Trident, just looking at the spec sheet

Of course a bike being good or bad is often completely divorced from the spec sheet so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

An engine built to make 70hp on it's best day is fun and interesting, most of the time, parallel twins excepted.

the CP2 is cool and good actually :colbert: