Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

You lot have talked sense into me. I'll get something more sensible.

I'm stuck in the same position, my test was booked for the week the DVSA closed down. I've been on my little WR since November, and I like it, but flat out at 60mph is a pain on dual carriage ways. It's given me plenty of time to way up DRZ400SM vs SV650 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Ducati, KTM and BMW all do e-bikes as well. I assume it's some sort of a tax dodge.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Any of these showing up in the UK :pray:

I think our sumo options are Chinese shite, KTM, Hypermotard and Dosoduro, if you can really count the last two.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Just booked onto my first trackday, Mallory Park on 27/12. Does anyone have any tips for not freezing to death in one-piece leathers? I think it might take more than heated grips.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Usually skiing thermals. I will stick with them and just make sure I don't get cold between sessions. This time last year for my road riding I was wearing textiles, a fleece and anything else I could fit under the jacket. I have a waterproof oversuit as well which I will try and remember to take with me. Thanks for your thoughts! I am a bit excited to say the least :D

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Does fuel injection mean it would pass Euro 5 and we could actually buy one in the UK :pray:?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Would an oil filter wrench like this work? It's hard to tell if there would be space to get it in.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

??? Just insure it on a different insurer, cheapest one you can find on gocompare?
I did that and ended up with Adrian Flux operating under another sneaky name, the insurer was listed as "Suzuki Insurance" on GoCompare. Sometimes it's worth using a company you know not to be complete arseholes. Never use Adrian Flux.

Second cheapest might be ok.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Could it be something completely off the wall like a somehow blocked exhaust, wiped out cam lobes meaning there is barely any valve lift?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

Adding Honda's garage door opener accessory buttons to the center console requires taking off drat near every panel on the bike.
Jesus christ! 12 pages and the last step is "58. Install the motorcycle’s parts in the reverse order of removal."

I will make do with my poo poo bikes thanks!

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Supradog posted:

Didn't early bmw bikes with abs have now unobtainium wear items on their mechanical sensors or am I misremembering?

Sounds like that could be the "flappy paddle" MAF if it's similar to the system off an E30. I had a 309 GTi with one 15 years ago and it was a pain in the arse then, so I hate to think what it must be like trying to find good ones now.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I got 110 uk mpg from my wr125x. I do kind of miss it.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Interesting, it has a carb. Pro or Con?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

What country is that? In the UK you don't have to use main dealers to maintain a warranty, just have "official" parts used during any work.

Just in case anyone get caught out by this, my understanding is it applies to cars in the UK, but not motorcycles. https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/. If you want to maintain your motorcycles warranty in the UK it needs to be serviced by the dealer.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry in that case if I'm talking crap. I've never had a bike new enough for it to matter, but that is what I had heard.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
It cost me (37) £120 for my CBT and £689 for the direct access course. I started the process in 2019. It was cheaper because I wasn't re-doing tests each time I went up an age band. No way I would have done it if it cost me that much overall and I probably wouldn't even have done the CBT with no hope of getting a big bike.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I would really struggle to think of a dream bike. Probably a custom scrambler/flat track kind if thing?

I was talking to my wife about this a while ago, I used to have dream cars when I was younger and cars were more my thing, but I don't think that's such a thing in motorcycling? It seems like the amazing bikes are much more attainable and, I mean, I could get a Panigale or something, but really it's not going to change my life that much having one, so I'm not sure I want the bother of having a fancy bike in the garage I need to look after properly. Maybe there are bikes out there I should be lusting over that I just don't know about!

I think it's the opportunities to go on the amazing rides I want, more than the bikes to do them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

epswing posted:

If the rope is a bungee cord I don't see a problem.

It's not even there to secure the load, just fine-tuning suspension preload. Dude is actually a motorcycle setup genius.