Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pity bump.

Just kidding. Who's running an ignition advancer on their bike? Do you like it? I'm thinking of snagging one for the Bandit, as a cheap performance upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On the one hand, it is nice to have a place to BS, but the problem is that people get so used to just coming into this thread to hang out that they post all the poo poo in here that would normally become individual threads if this thread didnt exist. Then this thread snowballs and becomes a big monster with chat, questions, pictures, projects, etc, and takes away from all the other threads that already are designed around that stuff.

Its too hard/pointless to police a thread like this to ensure that it stays just chat, and the line between chat and things that could go in other threads is far too blurry.

Sigtrappuu-chan we need your guidance ^______________________^

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 16, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Long Way Round is definitely worth it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, if Bimota is selling 40K bikes, you would think they could afford a web designer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

:psyduck: Or when you're riding around in 4th gear on the freeway.

I do that with the Bandit sometimes, and its only a 5 speed, and already geared fairly low. You just dont notice it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That thing is awesome! Its crazy to see how thoroughly modern some of the things on that bike are. The cases look very modern, as do the carbs. I suppose, its a GP bike, even if it is from 69, so it was using very bleeding edge tech at the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uggghhhhh, sometimes you get so into thinking about a problem that you look right past the obvious solution.

A few weeks ago the RV90 just quit running. I havent had much time to work on it, so I finally got to it tonight. It had spark, fuel, compression, and nothing was obviously wrong with it.

So I started tearing into it. I pulled the head off, cleaned the carbon off it, and the piston, and exhaust port, checked to see that the crankcase wasnt filled with fuel or oil, looked at the reedvalve to make sure nothing was obviously out of the ordinary with it.

Then I bolted it all back together, and sat and stared at it. I checked the spark again, and noticed that the spark was jumping from the inner insulator to ground.

So a simple plug swap did it. It fired right up. If only I had looked closer right off the bat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Let's talk about supermotos for a moment.

Honestly, the easiest SM for touring is the DRZ. The motor has sportbike-like maintenance intervals, its heavier, so it doesnt get blown around quite as much, and it doesnt feel super strained on the highway.

I cant imagine a more focused SM being any fun on the highway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Downsides to DRZ touring would be the tiny stock gas tank (lots of aftermarket options), rear end numbing seat and top end buzz around 75-80

All SM's have numbing seats though. They're all narrow as gently caress.

I never noticed a buzz up top. I did have Renthal Fatbars though, so that might have made a difference.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is ZIRC.net down? I cant seem to connect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, mega brain fart, now that you say that, I realize that I've known that for a year or so now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motards are like motorcycle crack.

Just wait, the DRZ has a whole world of fun poo poo you thought you'd never do in store for you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Nighthawk is a standard, or UJM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It'll probably flop in the states. "LOOKS LIKE A GOR DAM JAP BIKE :banjo:"

I sincerely hope it doesnt, because I'm in love with the XR1200, but I think it will.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most everyone who isnt clinging to old and stupid stereotypes realizes that modern harleys are just as reliable as most european bikes, if not approaching Japanese reliability.

Most everyone also realizes that the stereotypical "Accounts receivable manager by weekday, fake badass by weekend" Harley Poser is very much alive and well.

Thats mostly what people hate on.

And before anyone says it, YES, ALL BIKES HAVE THEIR POSERS THAT GO ALONG WITH THEM. Harley just seems to have a disproportionate amount.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

So what is the stereotypical RV90 poser like?

Acts like they ride it on the beach, but really just farts around the yard all day because its not street legal, and they dont want to cough up the dough for a title.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

I guess it's just as well that there's so few of them around for a few posers to really poo poo up the scene, hmm? :v:

Cheese Eats Mouse and I really pretty much comprise the US RV90 scene :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I'm taking on one of those projects that is probably pretty stupid, but has the chance to wind up being super awesome.

I just received a free CT90 motor in the mail today (Publishers Clearing House Winners: EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT), and I pretty much have enough parts to build a new RV90. My spare RV90 motor has a blown crank seal and a shot tranny, so it would take some doing to get it going again.

I'm thinking about mounting the CT90 motor up in the RV90 frame. This will be a long-term project, as the CT motor isnt complete yet, and I'll need some stuff for it, like a wiring harness, carb, etc. It should be fun though, and the end result is sure to be interesting, no matter what that result is.

Anyways, I need some information on this CT90 motor. Anyone know of some forums that deal with CT's and the like? I'm going to need some guidance on this one, as I've never dealt with these small Horizontal Hondas before.

Engine number says "CT90E 231459", which I have to assume is the VIN. Should also help to figure out what year it is.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Judging from this it looks like a K1 (1969)

EDIT: WAFFLEIMAGES :argh:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 6, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro covered it pretty well, while also calling me poor :colbert:

I'm not necessarily doing it because the CT90 motor is that much better or worse than the RV90 motor, its just something different. The RV is already a quirky bike, so I figure why not have one thats completely different from stock? I've got the parts to make another RV, but my spare motor is shot, the CT motor is the same basic size and design as the RV motor is, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Also, as Nero said, the CT90 motor can be modified pretty easily, and parts are pretty well everywhere. The RV motor is an ebay-only affair, and even then a lot of the parts you find are used. I really like the RV90, and I will keep my original one original. The most fun thing about the bike is the small stature and the huge tires though. The motor, while reliable as all hell, is nothing all that amazing. So I'm taking the best part of the RV90, and stuffing a 4-stroke in there.

Turns out, the engine I got has a 4-speed tranny, with a high and low selector on the final drive, so its effectively 8 different speeds. Should be fun!

To be fair to the original RV90, I may do the math this summer and make an expansion chamber for it, just to see if I can do it.

Plus, I'm the type that gets fidgety and restless without an ongoing project, and since my main bike is a 2000 Suzuki, it wont need any serious work unless I leave it in the ocean for the next 20 years.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 6, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seriously, anyone know of a forum that deals with Honda CT's? I honestly cant find one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go with the red

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He'll probably get it too.

Gammas are such amazing bikes. I'd love to ride one just once.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Something about race rep factory paintjobs is super awesome to me. The Repsol Honda, the Alstare and Telefonica GSXR's, the Smokin Joes CBR's, all of them are sweet looking, even if the latter three are getting older these days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I feel dumb since it's such a minor reason for a spill, but going into Neutral on a steep hill at low speed will apparently do that.

Clutch levers and whatever are replaceable, just be happy you werent hurt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont know if anyone was reading it or not, but Motorcyclist Retro is coming back from the grave!!

http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=1227

It revolves around 60's and 70's bikes mainly, of all makes. I only managed to snag one copy before they bit the dust, but it was a great mag.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quick retarded 2-stroke question: I vaguely understand 2 vs. 4-stroke from the diagrams, but so far as advantages/disadvantages:

2-stroke
*puts out a lot more power for the same cc's due to how it pumps
*runs dirty as gently caress because the oil is mixed with the gas
*clogs up and dies faster than 4 due to above, needs to be regularly diassembled and cleaned
*very basic and crude
*relatively shorter lifespan because the tiny little thing is beating itself apart as it works.

Is that more or less an accurate summarization?

EDIT: Oh, and what's CA's preferred site to purchase Honda parts? As mentioned, need to get new peg, passenger peg, and clutch for my Nighthawk.

More or less, yeah.

They arent as simple, crude, or unreliable as you make them seem though.

2-strokes make more power because they are firing every time the piston hits TDC, rather than every other time, like a 4-stroker. It used to be that a 2-stroke motor made the same power as a 4-stroker twice its displacement, or twice as much power as a 4-stroker of the same displacement. This isnt entirely true anymore as research for the last 15 years or so has focused almost entirely on 4-stroke design, and 2-stroke design has fallen by the wayside and stagnated.

They are mechanically simple, but there is lots going on in a 2-stroke motor, and lots of R&D that goes into making them run right.

They can have short lifespans, depending on the design, or they can be extremely long-lived. 2-stroke motors with oil injected into the bottom end bearings are extremely durable and long-lived. Its not unheard of for Suzuki GT750's to go 70K or more before rebuild time.

MX bikes have shorter rebuild spans due to the nature of their use.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am still unclear as to how the engine isn't "overworking" itself by firing so fast. Especially on single-gear mopeds where it needs to hit presumably ridiculous rpms to hit top speed.

Fairly tall gearing, to keep the RPM's within the engines limits when you're traveling at top speed. Its that same tall gearing that makes most mopeds so slow to take off.

CVT's are a whole different matter, as they can change your final drive ratio on the fly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why have we not seen this technology make it to the street in the form of a motorcycle engine?

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/profiles/evinrude/etec.htm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

... would you look at that...

And now it's in it's frosty cold new home.

Yey for complete, working, enduros. Anyone want a TC90?

I'll take your tc90 motor. You pay shipping.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy fuckballs this guy has alot of time and patience

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=5933

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

Also, when you're hugging the bike tank. Obviously you have to get pretty low for the front shield to do its purpose. Am I supposed to be looking through the plastic shield? Because it feels like I'm looking through a video game and to be honest the view isn't clear enough and seems like it can be a bit deceiving. If I go any higher though I can definitely feel the air hitting my helmet hard at freeway speeds.

Dont be that guy. I always laugh when I see dudes in full tuck doing 70 on the freeway. Theres no need for that poo poo, and like you said, it just decreases visibility.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I whip my dick out at other riders.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trintintin posted:

You know your bike is too old when you get denied by 3 shops and have to sign a book of release of liability forms from dealership just so they can do basic maintenance. The mechanic at the dealership said he had never even seen an 88' ex500, yet alone worked on one.

If your dealership is blown away by an 88 anything, they are loving scrubs. A 68 Kawi? Yeah, thats oldschool. Nothing from the 80's should be that baffling to anyone in a dealership. Other than fuel injection, bikes havent changed too awfully much from the 80's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was tempting to fire the bike up yesterday, but its still too drat salty out here.

Where in Wisconsin are you? Milwaukee here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An equally persuasive argument could be made that if you're living in California you're doing it wrong.

Not that I have any beef with Cali, but there is plenty of amazing riding elsewhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what cause i send heaters and bangers and 223 lol nigga for all you know thats my address gently caress you all you all are faggots and aint gonna amount to shittttttttttttttttttttttt shoow up or shut uppp i aint no bitch ill show you faggets wsuppppppppppp

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Harley.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know why people need to justify bikes with mileage and cost savings and all that. Ride because you like it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want to ride and save money, buy a used Honda Elite 80 for as cheap as possible, dont wear gear, and dont insure it.

There, you're saving money. You arent being smart, safe, or anything else, but you're saving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrKatharsis posted:

Keep in mind with that kind of mileage, you'll be wearing the bike out pretty quickly. A lot of bikes don't make it past 40k miles before the cost of needed repairs becomes higher than the value of the machine. Unless it's a BMW, you'll have to replace the bike every few years.

What? This doesnt even make sense. Since when are BMW's the only bike that can do high mileage? Since when is 40K the end?