Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More of a stupid newb mistake I made, turning left at an intersection where I didn't have a clean line of sight into the opposing right lane, and of course there's a car coming towards me. Luckily we were both going pretty slow and both stopped with room to spare. Could have been bad, but I'll chalk it up to experience and resume my usually safer operation.

Nobody tried to merge into me, unlike Saturday, so that's a good thing. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Of course the killswitch is off...:downs:
Sounds like my first week with the bike: everything ready to go, fuel on, ignition on, choke out, WHY THE gently caress WON'T THIS THING START DAMNIT?!

Oh yeah, killswitch, let's turn that on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I always knew to treat cars like they think I'm invisible, but now I've seen why firsthand. Even visual confirmation that someone sees you and is acting accordingly doesn't mean poo poo. People do stupid things, especially when there's a motorcycle around. I won't trust anyone but myself in the future.

Glad to hear you're OK. It ain't just motorcycles, I've made eye contact with people nearing their cars when I'm on my mountain bike, and they just stand there, staring, and then open their doors into the lane anyway.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Five minutes later, in the middle of Norfolk, I'm pulled over. Not speeding, not weaving, following traffic rules...

"Your registration is expired. Do you have a ride home?"

Sure enough, it expired Jan 1st.
5 months is a pretty long time to have let your registration expire!

PS. Norfolk sucks, I'm glad I got out when I did ;)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I wanted to go for a ride to take advantage of the holiday today & clear blue sky, but got out of the house later than I wanted, so I just stayed in town and found a little road down near the Humber River that goes through a park. Just cruising along at 25 kph, and was passing some family with their little kids on these small bicycles, so I looked over and gave 'em a big goofy wave. :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Norway, I found this yesterday: Lysebotn Road

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My Dad was really surprised when I told him my Honda had 6 gears. His main exposure was a 4 speed Triumph he co-owned years ago.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm on the fence about going up to my friend's cottage this weekend on the bike. The weather's looking good for the trip up, (high between 18 and 21C and mostly sunny), but 40% chance of rain on the way back. Also going to be something like 4+ hours each way. And I need map bag/luggage/noise blocking earbuds if I'm going to to it. Bike's running well after the carb servicing, but somehow now the brake lights aren't coming on. I can't remember the last time I checked them. Hmm.

And I realized on the way back yesterday that my front light was also out. Turned out to be just a fuse, but yeesh, that's pretty stupid on my part!

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 3, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What I didn't get about the bike in Star Trek was the hubless wheels; I guess just one more thing to try to make it look "futuristic."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

At my advanced MSF course the instructor wouldn't stop talking about how much his Harley is a piece of poo poo, said he had 45k into it just to keep it running. And the dealers forget you exist after you buy the bike except to screw you out of your warranty.

How is this even possible? I keep reading things like that in AI about people putting however many thousands into a car that's clearly not worth it, only to flog it on CL to get rid of it. At some point it must become clear that the tipping point has been reached, right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I wear jeans now that the weather's nicer, but picked up some shin/knee pads to wear under for anything longer than a 20 minute ride.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I've seen 3 Can-Am Spyders out on the streets in the past week, 2 parked on the side and 1 actually being ridden but block by a car so I couldn't take a good look.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jdonz posted:

I wouldn't mind some of that rain here in Phoenix. The last couple weeks it has been too loving hot to rain during the day so we get very light, short sprinklings in the middle of the night. Just enough to make it humid.

You're more than welcome to come up to southern Ontario and take some of ours, we're full.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Survived the outbound leg of my longest trip so far. Left an hour later than I had originally planned, got caught in start of rush hour traffic which delayed me further, and in a bizarre twist, 2 friends driving up ended up right behind me on the last road up, a small, twisty sideroad that would be excellent in the day but was a bit iffy in the darkness. Feels good to test one's limits :)

Route 19/Harburn Road out of Haliburton.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 19, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did my first big distance (for me) ride this past weekend, 240km each way, mostly through 2 lane country highways, to my friend's cottage up near Algonquin Park. If I wasn't before, I'm now completely addicted to this riding thing. Big thanks to whoever suggested stretching out on the passenger pegs, it made the long cruises at speed much more bearable!

This was my 2nd rest stop & refuelling point on the way back. Thankfully it didn't rain, but when I stopped for lunch an hour and a bit later, the humidity & heat was insane.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got an addressed direct mail piece the other day advertising for Forza Ducati, and that I should see my participating Canadian Ducati dealer today!

It was postmaked in Sweden. :raise:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

I think folks on the road think I'm a cop when riding the TransAlp. I had easily half a dozen people pull over and let me by when riding though traffic today. White bike + White Helmet maybe? or is it my awesome $12 aviator sunglasses?

The TransAlp is just that awesome!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

I was taking my two year old son out for a walk on Sunday morning when I noticed a sport bike on the road. I pointed it out to my son, "Look son, there's a motorcycle that's sorta like the one I ride." The biker noticed us and honked the horn and took off which made my son's day. I was secretly hoping it was a goon.

Heh, I was out for a ride last week and stopped at a cross-road to allow a mom and her 2 boys to cross. They turned around and waved at me, and when I did the same I used my left hand and promptly dumped the clutch and stalled. Oops.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow, thought I was back in SH/SC for a minute! :D

Looking forward to POR-15-ing my gas tank this coming weekend. Too bad I didn't do it last week when the weather was nice. I hope Easter weekend is nice, I wanna get riding again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's always nice to work at my parents' place: lots of room in the garage to maneuver, lots of various tools around (somewhere), various bits of stuff lying around to MacGyver myself out of the situations I get into, mandatory 4:00pm tea & cookies...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Bought some new bike boots and now they're calling for snow :(

:canada:
Heh, saw that this morning on the Guelph/Kitchener forecast. Not exactly unexpected for this time of year, but last week just put everyone in a summer frame of mind, :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

It was wonderful last week. I don't think I've ever had so much ride time in March and April. I'm still kicking myself for buying a mesh jacket and living in Ontario but maybe this summer I'll have the last laugh.
I picked up a mesh jacket for this summer, since I mainly ride in and around Toronto. Traffic + hot weather + leather = nasty.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The more I work on my bike, the more I want to pull a James May and pull it completely apart and go to town with the cleaning solvent and some small brushes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Which Top Gear was that?
It was on the Hornby Trains episode of his Toy Stories show. He's in a pub with a pint, his original locomotive, and some very small brushes.

EDIT: also there was the Top Gear episode with the 1000 Pound Alfas (Series 11, Ep. 3)

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 21, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out on my first grocery run since I got back in town with my bike, and all was well. Decided it was still early enough to head across town to this funky hot sauce shop, and managed to get there 10 minutes before street parking goes away for rush hour. And the bastards are closed Monday & Tuesday. And by going out I lost my totally sweet spot right in front of the house, so I'm shacked up the street by a bright red Vespa.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Almost ended up in a nasty accident this afternoon. I did something stupid and was going too fast for the situation, and am very glad to be in one piece and unharmed. I've since calmed the gently caress down, seriously chastised myself for being a dumbass, and am going to be taking myself off the road for a couple of days. Time to re-read a few chapters of "Proficient Motorcycling."

And there's a new tear in my cover and my choke's not holding open, I think I over-lubed it or something last week.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

What'd you do? Most of us have those moments, :sigh:

4 lane street, guy in a van turning left, I deke into the right lane to go around him, and there's a cab in the opposite side also turning left who manages to see me in time to slam his brakes while I do a quick dodge to put a couple of feet between me and his bumper.

a) I was going too fast for the traffic anyway, b) that's exactly the scenario for a "He just came outta nowhere!" trip across the hood or roof of the car turning across your lane.

So, yeah, no more of doing that!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was heading out to do a grocery run Monday afternoon (NOTE TO SELF: stop going out after 3:30 when schools get let out!) and some random dude came up to me just before I started 'er up, so we chatted for a bit about bikes and how he loves the look of 70s/80s Honda standards. He's trying to track down a CB750 and apparently found one nice looking one in Wisconsin that he's seriously looking at!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

I like the Honda maintenance schedule:

Dont' do poo poo except change oil and put in gas for 100k+ miles. :smug:
Sweet, I can throw out the Clymer! :dance:

Note: does not apply if the previous owner(s) hosed around or broke it in any way

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 15, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Not my Honda. The bastard before me rode it for one season, then parked it for like 20 years.

See, he didn't follow instructions.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'd almost do the same just to have a clock handy!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hey, guess whose bike was missing carb bowl drain tubes? Thanks, PO :facepalm:
Also, don't go work on the bike with the nice white shirt you just washed. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for a parking spot when I get back.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 16, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was out yesterday afternoon enjoying the sunshine. Came to an intersection that was backed up with traffic, so I stayed behind the stop line in the left lane to see if it would clear before my green changed. It didn't, so I stayed where I was, and while the light was turning yellow, one of those mini school busses did a left turn out from behind me. Nice.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pagan posted:

Another question that's popped up. How do you adjust your mirrors? In a car, even a big truck or van, I can get my mirrors adjusted to where I feel comfortable that I can see everything going on around me. But not on my bike. If I have them adjusted so I can see cars to the side, then I can't see behind me and get surprised by cars overtaking. Any tips?
I usually have them so I can see behind me, shoulder/arms just out of sight in the mirror. To the side you can flick your eyes or turn your head.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? I would toss in a clause about how the bike is sold as is, with no warranty or anything of the sort.

Absolutely this. The phrase "as-is condition" is standard.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

I'm nervous about the ride from Detroit to Nashville. I put about 2 hours in the saddle yesterday and I'm a little stiff today. WTF am I going to feel like after a full day in the crotch rocket position?
On my first long ride, I just planned out breaks every hour or so to get off and stretch & hydrate. You can also take some ibuprofin before heading out as a preemptive measure. Hell, one Aleve will do you for a day.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat, Ola, that sucks, but you take yer chances, etc.

Yesterday I was out for a grocery run, and waiting to turn right into a parking spot with my blinker on. The driver vacated her spot, and right away some fucker drives through the empty spot on the other side of the line into the one I was waiting for. I sat there with my blinker on, trying to give him the evil eye through my tinted visor, and he just looked straight ahead, parked, and got out.

However I got to give the mesh jacket a bit of a workout, and it's a keeper! Not going to be sweating through the leather this summer. :dance:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Met the stereotypical BMW owner last night, who was kind enough to let me sit on his nicely kitted out and fantastic conditioned K100RS: early 40s, modular helmet, older K-series with 160,000km on the clock, planning a trip out to the Maritimes for August... :) Great guy, really nice bike, though I wouldn't want to use it as a city bike. My heart still belongs to the R boxers :allears:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 6, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally re-watching "Long Way Round." I remember seeing the first 2 or 3 when it came out, but for whatever reason I never saw the whole thing. The Mongolia/Sibera poo poo was just bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Living the dream.

Meanwhile, I checked out Ontario Cycle Salvage here in town yesterday on an absolutely beautiful riding kind of day. Couldn't be arsed to dig through all their junk, so just ordered a drat replacement headlight bucket. And of course when I got home long after closing I realized I forgot to order new spark plug leads. Oh well.

Also a little annoyed at the weather. Was hoping to ride up north this weekend (~300km each way) but looks like 60% chance of rain on the way back Sunday. Oh well.