Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did pretty well riding home last time, missing a big thunderstorm I could see rolling in by about half an hour. My friends who were driving got hit.

That 60% is just in town. Further along the route, the percentages go higher and the days go from 1 to 3, depending on how far from Lake Simcoe the road is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AncientTV posted:

Speaking of engine braking, going from 2nd -> 1st on my 500 feels like my tank is punching me in the nuts. The only way around it is if I rev it +7k rpm, and then I scare everyone in traffic.
I don't even try to engine brake down to first, with or without a mighty 400cc of power behind it. If I'm still moving, stay in 2nd. If I'm stopping, just freewheel it in with the brakes on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, sod's law strikes: I didn't ride up north and instead of pouring rain today, it was mostly sunny and loving gorgeous. Certainly can't complain about it, but it was a bit of a bittersweet thing to wake up to this morning.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a dream last night that CA had a giant group ride/rally, and we were all swapping bikes. I borrowed someone's KLR650 and went hooning around in a big muddy field. Awesome.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dubs posted:

This is pretty rad. Some dude built a touch screen HUD style thing for his scooter off an arduino.

http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/arduino.php/2010/06/26/scooterputer

I thought 'LEAN' was air fuel and that it was double awesome, but it just just the actual lean of the scooter :(.

Kept reading the kit as "Dual Man Love"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah, just stick a turbo on the 250.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just saw the biek equivalent of Spinnaz: some dude up the street was parking his cruiser, and the first thing i focussed on was the gatling gun covers he had on his pipes that spun as the exhaust came out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was walking up the street to the crosswalk when some guy on a 70s CB400 Four came up to the stop light. drat thing was almost as quiet as one of those electric bikes. Could barely hear a thing as he took off on the green light, too. Instantly jealous, I gotta say.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was going to ask on Wednesday if anyone had received their Aprilia RSV4 t-shirt yet. Then I got an email Thursday saying it had been shipped, and the drat thing arrived today. Classy!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've read the same thing about helmet placement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hit a nice milestone after a much-needed ride this afternoon:

And now that I'm working again I can finally afford to start picking up parts & tools for a whole lotta much-needed and heretofore procrastinated maintenance.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Older Japanese bikes are all about procrastinated maintenance. The only depressing part is when you finally get around to it and do the $450 worth of maintenance you should have done two years ago and everything works exactly the same.
In this case it's a lot of the routine stuff that I have to assume the PO didn't do (since I never got any records from him). Stuff like replacing the chain & sprockets are a MUST based on the last adjustment I did a few months ago. Plus some weeping gaskets, etc.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ran out of gas yesterday.

As I was starting it up for a trip to the gas station. :facepalm:

Can't believe I let it get that low, and the hard starting should have at least triggered something in my head before I had sat there abusing the starter motor for 20 minutes. gently caress. At least now I have a little gas can I can use for the next time. :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

And further south, in the deep desert, there are other concerns.

If you idle without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Latest "Cycle World" has a shoot out between the CX650 Turbo, Seca 650 Turbo, GPz750 Turbo and XN85 Turbo. 80s silliness at its finest! I gotta remember to snag a picture of the GPz Turbo I see around here come the summer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
All the time: badly in need of a proper tune up.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I said "gently caress it" and straightened out my front forks on Friday afternoon. The fender's still a wee bent out of shape, but it's back to being ridable and that makes me happy :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Danish head bobble.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
A while back, someone from Ontario did their M license and posted scans of the grading sheet. Anyone still have those? It's too late for this year, so next year I need to do mine, and should study up over the winter :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Odette posted:

Girlfriend wrote off her second scooter in less than 4 months. :psyduck:

She was just putting away happily, where outta nowhere, this rear end in a top hat in a taxi hits the side of the scooter. The scooter is just FUBAR, and at this stage I'm just glad she's alive.

How the hell can people just NOT see a motor vehicle travelling in a straight line?!

He's not people, he's a taxi driver :v:

(insert suv mom/housing contractor/other stereotype as needed)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Where the gently caress does he live where a week's worth of groceries only costs $12?!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

epswing posted:

I need a few things like oil filter, air filter, etc. Looks like there are several big US based online stores (bike bandit, etc). I live in Canada and I don't want to deal with customs charges when stuff crosses the border.

Is there a reputable Canadian motorcycle parts website someone can recommend?

http://www.partscanada.com/ doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for, I just see a bunch of catalogs.

Depends on what you're after. I usually get my oil & oil filters at Canadian Tire. Ordered some things through Bike Bandit without too much trouble, as well as the aforementioned Sirius Con INC. Also have had parts ordered for me when at the shop getting things fixed.

Canadian riders are a minority of a minority, so I just look around anywhere I can find things.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 12, 2012

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I decided to splash out and pick up the official Honda repair manual and owners manual for my CB400T. They arrived a couple of days ago, so I had a quick thumb through them on the way home on the subway. Turns out I've been using the wrong spark plugs! I'm sure it's because the Canadian model is slightly different than the US one. Won't hurt to pick up the "proper" ones to see if there's any difference.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

It might just be that spark plug nomenclature has changed since the manual was written. That's the case with mine.

Don't think so. Recommended US plug: D8EA (what I've been using)

Canadian plug: DR8ES-L

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tenchrono posted:

What are your guys' thoughts on listening to music while riding? It seems dangerous since a vehicle could sneak up on you and the sound of the motorcycle is awesome, but it might make long trips more bearable.

Edit: if its even legal which seems not.
Legal, schmegal. I wear in-ear buds and listen to music on longer rides, especially if they involve going on the highway. I don't blast my music in the first place, and it certainly keeps my brain active and it's certainly not distracting for mr.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I definitely need to replace the anemic horn on the ol' Honda. Some dude on the highway tries to merge into me and I can't express my annoyance properly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I swear owning on old bike is the most manic depressive hobby out there. A few victories and defeats this weekend wrenching, often within minutes of each other. And on the way home something slippery sprayed all over my right boot and footpeg, making for a slippery last few dozen km. Then I found a bit on my left boot. And it's too dark to do any proper investigating. Oh well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you're in the Toronto area and need JIS screwdrivers, Efston Science (aka the store across from Yorkdale Mall with the telescope on the roof) has them as a set of 5 or individually. They also do mail order.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So if anyone in the Toronto area is looking for Rubber Renue in a store, this place on Vic Park & Steeles has it: http://www.sayalhobbies.com/CatalogContacts.asp#TOR

You can look up their inventory by searching.

/me crosses fingers that this'll do the trick on his carb boots

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I first got my bike, the carbs were all out of whack, and I would shift around 3000 just to make sure the awful noise would be kept to a minimum.

These days I shift around 4 to 5 K, depending on the situation. Cranked er up to 7 yesterday getting on the freeway :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Helmet off, gloves off, on the centre stand, check the oil, fill up, write down the mileage, suit up and head off. I got into the habit of checking the oil on the CB whenever I filled up, so the centre stand was really the only way to go.

Plus most of the time I have a tank bag on, so I have to take it off before filling up anyway.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You sir should own a BMW.
Oh, I'll have an R series at some point in the future :) Dunno about the modular helmet and Aerostich though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Booked my road test for Sept. 2, just hope the weather's agreeable!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I came into work a few weeks ago, started taking off the jacket and putting my helmet down. One of the guys asked if I rode in, so I said "Nah, subway, I just live in a really bad area." And we all got a good laugh out of that one.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Add a cargo net to the backpack equation and fix it to your pillion.
this is the actual answer

But only if your rear end isn't big enough

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode my Honda for the first time since mid-July, putting it away in a friend's garage for the winter. Man, after riding the Bandit for 4 months, the old bike seems so hilariously tiny! Too bad she's gotta go in the Spring.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

can anyone explain why the gently caress the "P" selection exists on an ignition cylinder, other than to be accidentally selected when removing your key and draining your battery? I don't even know why the useless lights it turns on even exist.

It's happened twice now, luckily at work where I can get my hands on booster pack in a few minutes. I'm thinking of pulling out the wiring diagram and just disabling that circuit entirely.

I did that a few weeks ago. Came out of work on a Friday, had plans to meet up with some friends, and blammo, no start. Called CAA, got a boost, and was on my way. Good to know that after 4 years of paying a membership, I've finally used it! :D Threw the battery on the Tender overnight, no harm done.

First time I've ever done that, and now I'm going to be checking for it every time I park!

At least the Honda has the P switch one past the regular On position, going clockwise around. The Bandit's one past Lock going counter-clockwise.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 3, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So suddenly today my block is hosting two Yamaha Radians. One for sure is a local (parking permit for this area), dunno about the other.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was musing in IRC the other day: my first car, a 1981 Lynx, had a 1.6l carbed engine and around 69hp. My 2007 Bandit has a 650cc FI engine and 85hp. Biek supremacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pfft, who needs proper pics when selling a biek?