Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Is there anywhere motorcycles aren't allowed in HOV lanes? Seeing how as they clearly meet the definition of a HOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

There are riding pants with zip-off legs to turn them into shorts. Revzilla looks to have a few options

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It looks like a bee stung it

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The estimated range is calculated based on what you got on your last tank, and is assuming you'll be doing the exact same ride on the current one. It can't predict the future and it doesn't know what kind of fuel you put in either.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I would have bought an electric motorcycle for my first bike if they were within my price range (Energica :swoon:); as it is I'm thinking about picking up a NIU scooter for all the in-city riding I do. Figure at the rate battery tech is improving we've got around 5 years before there's as much e-bike price/range variety as there is with electric cars now.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I wave at everyone on two wheels, and the only groups that consistently don't wave back are young kids on sportbikes wearing no gear except for a helmet, and scooter riders. I get waves back from basically every other demographic, and when I don't I just assume it's because they didn't see me until it was too late, cause I know that's happened to me number of times. There's also the awkward "we're stopped at different sides of an intersection, when is the correct time to wave/acknowledge the other rider?" scenario but then the light turns green and I remember I have to clutch so I can't wave anyway. I'm guessing a wheelie off the line is the correct response to that situation but I'm not quite there yet.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

So I think I finally found an everyday luggage solution I like on my bike. I got myself a SW Motech PRO seat ring. It allows me to strap any flat-bottom PRO tankbag on my pillion. It's basically just the thing I wanted, except a little bit more limited in size. I really wanted a top box that would just sit where the pillion is and not stick out the back like all the racked versions for my bike.
The largest one ("sport") is decent enough and the styling is decent enough to not look horrible. It replaces a small backpack and that's good enough for me. The PRO tankring still allows easy attachment and removal.

Only thing I am not toally happy with yet is the seat ring attachment, it's just two straps below the seat and they allow the plattform to rotate quite a bit. I will have to see if I can improve that somehow.
I got one of these for my MT-03, I strap my Motech tailbag to it then latch it onto the bike. Someone would have to cut the straps to remove the bag but there's plenty of room to also thread a cable lock through all of it: https://www.hepco-becker.de/en/luggage-systems/gepaecktraeger/sportrack

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My eye was drawn more to wtf is going on with those handlebars

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

some kinda jackal posted:

Took the bike out for the first time since recovering from a bout of COVID. Felt pretty great to be out again, but about five minutes in I quickly realized that something was amiss. I felt really loose and.. lightheaded? cloudy? woozy? Generally just felt very off. Realized that this was immensely unsafe and did a safe u-turn and headed right home.

I don’t know, I hope this isn’t lasting long covid bullshit because I really want to be back out. At least the immediate weather I’m missing is hellish 30+ degrees so “OK I guess”, but.. :|
I had a solid week or two of general lethargy after I was no longer testing positive. Good on you for aborting the ride; I do the same anytime I feel my brain isn't up to the task.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

My buddy also just lost his warranty on his cbr1000rr, at least for some parts, for having a third party non-honda mechanic work on the bike.
Is he in the US? Then no, he probably didn't:

quote:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

In general, tie-in sales provisions are prohibited. A tie-in sales provision requires a purchaser of a warranted product to buy a particular item or service from a specified company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the warranty. For example, the following illustrates a prohibited tie-in sales provision:

"In order to keep your new X Brand Lawnmower warranty in effect, you must use genuine X Brand Lawnmower Blades. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Y Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty."
https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/consumer-transactions/warranty-laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My bike got stolen. What even is the point of summer now

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My apartment's "secure" garage. Looks like they drilled out the ignition and rolled/rode it out; the Daytona 675R that was parked next to me got the same treatment but was left behind for some reason. I have total loss + accessories coverage so eventually I'll be back on the road but who knows how long that will take, especially considering how sparse the market is. I put about 450 miles on it camping Fri-Sun on it and had another similar trip planned for 2 weeks out. At least I got that one in I guess. Here's the last picture I took (pretty dusty from the desert):

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Not me. I've learned my lesson and will have a giant gently caress-off chain anchoring the next bike to something solid.

400lb block of concrete lewl

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

RIP brother. I'm looking at something like the Oxford Beast, either into a proper ground anchor or wrapped around a concrete support column. Not a cheap chain but I'd gladly pay twice that right now to be able to go riding this weekend.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

I was going to ask if a chain would actually do much given cordless angle grinders are a thing, but apparently that chain held up to an angle grinder for over 90 seconds. I'd be asking your apartment complex about moving the bike parking in their "secure" garage somewhere with video surveillance, or better yet, on premises security. Something tells me it took longer than 90 seconds to drill out the ignition on your MT-03 and roll your bike away.
The Beast chain has 22mm hardened steel links, and is Sold Secure diamond rated, which is basically the best you can buy. I couldn't find a video of that particular chain being tested but a similar 19mm gold-rated chain took about 90 seconds per cut, but that was in a vice; flopping about it's going to take quite a bit longer, and you need to make two cuts to get a link apart. Will probably also throw an alarmed disc lock on at least one wheel. I dunno, there's no perfect solution but that's the best I can do given my circumstances; if I make my bike annoying enough to steal maybe they'll just pass it up for an easier one. Moving isn't an option, and there's little chance the building will do anything other than make sure the parking contract absolves them of any liability, but if I can get them to agree to letting me install a ground anchor that's a major win, and I am going to look for somewhere to stash my own camera for motion alerts.

Opopanax posted:

I've been cleaning my garage and had to have mine out in the driveway all week, and threaded one of those cord locks through the back wheel and chain. We live in a quiet neighborhood so I'm not too worried but it is definitely anxiety inducing even with the lock. At least I'd hear an angle grinder out there
FYI a cord/cable will probably only take a bolt cutter to remove, as will many padlocks and non-hardened chains, so you might not hear a thing. It's really not fun learning this lesson the hard way.

Russian Bear posted:

That sucks to hear about your bike! The usual reminder that since the vehicle market is insane right now to make sure insurance actually gives you enough money to replace the thing assuming all the dealer add on bullshit (even if you're not buying from a dealer).
I've already brushed up on state insurance law regarding comps and value negotiations, so I may not get as much as I want but I'm definitely going to make sure they do that poo poo by the book. I loved the MT03 but I'm still undecided what I'll replace it with; my last long roadtrip def had me thinking about something more purpose-built for touring. I'm guessing I'll have plenty of time to think about it before there's a check in my hand.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Update: The thieves came back for the Daytona last night.

Why can't we just have nice things

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I appreciate that. That said, we both filed police reports (it's required by insurance) but there's gently caress-all chance anything will come of it in this city. There's certainly no detective being assigned; the cop that showed up to take my report didn't even come inside or ask to see where it happened. Motorcycle thefts are through the roof this year (WA is ranked #5 overall) and we're not even prosecuting property crimes where they do have a suspect in custody. I've pretty much accepted that that bike is gone, and I'm focusing my energy on picking out a new one and making it as theft-proof as possible.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My bike was found! Somebody got pulled over while riding it, a county away from me. According to the impound yard it's in great shape, no obvious damage other then the drilled out ignition, even has my plates still on it. Waiting on insurance to go appraise it but sounds like I might get some more riding in this summer after all :dance:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

That is amazing. I hope the dude goes to prison.
I requested a copy of the police report; I am curious if the person who got caught with it is the person that stole it, but I doubt any of the law enforcement agencies will care enough to try and make that connection.

FBS posted:

You know the bike market is hosed when a dude is thrilled to get his stolen beginner bike recovered instead of just buying another one :v:
Tbh I have been kinda looking forward to a new bike, but only because I've been doing a lot of long rides lately and the MT03 is not really built for that (according to my rear end). I'd much rather hold off and sell it once the right new bike comes along though than have the decision forced on me. Besides that one "issue" it's a wonderful bike and I'm going to put a lot more miles on it. Maybe with a seat cushion or something.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 23, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I think they did the best they could given the reality of charging infrastructure along the route. Imo it was still nowhere near as enjoyable to watch as the previous two, and didn't really make a good case for electric bikes either. Had they waited a few years/a decade it probably would have gone a lot better.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I keep this kit stashed under my pillion, which is really all that will fit there. I took out the tubed-tire stuff since I don't need it, and added a multi-tool, small flashlight, gloves, tire pressure gauge, zipties, spare earplugs and probably something else I'm forgetting.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-tire-and-tube-flat-repair-kit?sku_id=1049372

I add this if I'm on a longer/multi-day trip; it works quickly and doubles as a powerbank for charging my phone or whatever:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZFQJQRV

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm trying to pick out a new/quieter helmet, but I just can't get down with having to carry a second shield just in case the sun comes out/goes away, or having to carry sunglasses/ride with my visor up. Maybe I'm spoiled from my first helmet coming stock with a transition shield, for $250 usd.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sorry, $280 (when I bought it) not $250:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-qualifier-dlx-mips-helmet

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just

Just get one with an integrated sun visor

They're fine

You won't die
That is actually my plan, probably a modular too for the dadbike cred

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Strife posted:

Harley Davidson has recently made it so that not only must you buy their parts from a dealership, you must buy them from your dealership. The one closest to you.
Wait how the hell do they know which one is closest to you? Do they have your address on file or something?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Oh. Duh. For some reason I read that as you were physically going to the dealer.

Sounds like you need a PO Box and mail forwarding service in Wisconsin :c00lbert:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

some kinda jackal posted:

If I pay that much for a bike I’m probably going to have to live in it.
I'm not seeing the downside here?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I don't feel like 2025 is that far off considering the biggest barrier to wide-spread adoption seems to be range (relative to price), and that's only going to improve significantly when battery density does. I expect we'll be looking more like 2030 (or later) to have an affordable electric motorcycle with comparable range and pricing of similar ICE offerings in the US.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 13, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

You can fit a lot more battery on a big/heavy bike like that so probably a sizable amount, though fast DC charging can make up for less range between charges by significantly shortening your fill-up time. The Energica Experia currently boasts the longest range of anything on the market at 261 city/130 highway (they claim), for a mere $26k and 573lbs, and DC fast charging L3 which means roughly 4 miles a minute.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 13, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A Goldwing weighs like 830lbs? Psh what's another 100-200 at that point.

Slavvy have you given thought to whether you'll be taking in electrics once they're more prevalent? Or are you already? Just curious; I'm the guy in town who works on the new-fangled tech that the old guy in town doesn't want to touch. He refers that work to me and I send the older, esoteric stuff to him and everybody's happy.

FBS posted:

The city/highway range difference tells me EVs have a bigger problem with wind than with weight. Seems a big touring bike would be the best possible platform for a battery powered motorcycle (if you ignore purchase price and charging time :v: )
Yeah there's a reason all EVs look pretty much the same; aerodynamics make a huge difference in efficiency above a certain speed.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Exact same reason I want to own one. Most of my riding is in-city so I don't even need a lot of range (will keep the gasser for that), just need them to come down to around $5-6k and be from a reputable brand that has good after-sale support. Good thing I'm patient.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Keep the plastic side down brother

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Slavvy posted:

My money being on battery technology improving such that it's possible to make an electric bike that's as light or lighter than a petrol one, at that point we could see some interesting developments on the chassis front because electric architecture gives more freedom of layout than petrol.
Bike-to-bike charging will be dope for emergencies. Also you won't have to worry about your battery going dead over the winter cause the whole bike is a battery.

All your action cams can be wired, no more carrying multiple batteries for them.

Uh you can hook up a small induction cooker for camping?

What can't electricity do

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That bike was absolutely stolen at some point. Wouldn't be surprised if that "title" he showed you was fake.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

When I was 13 years old, I was riding my bicycle and got the idea in my head that I would cross my hands over and hold the bars backwards. I did it and crashed instantaneously. It was like when Slavvy says you are "teleported to the ground."

I think what happened was -- you are always making tiny automatic adjustments to stay balanced. You don't think about them, but your body does them unconsciously. When I swapped my hands over, my body continued making these tiny balancing inputs to the bars, but each correction I made was now multiplying the error instead of counteracting it. My body then automatically corrected harder, which exacerbated the problem even more, and it took about 0.5 seconds for this exponential instability to knock me over.

It was very memorable. I will not try it on a motorcycle.
You just didn't give it long enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Now imagine that at freeway speeds lmao

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Geekboy posted:

It very much reminded me of this Previous Owners bit.
Every time I stop for gas, without fail:

"nice bike man" "hey thanks, what do you ride?" "oh I don't ride but my brother/uncle/buddy used to have a gixer/harley/busa before he wrecked it, it was fast as hell. you should get one of those"

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Lungboy posted:

MmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm. God only knows how much it'll cost though.
5490€ https://www.italjet.com/en/p/dragster

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That sounds dope af

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

wife bought him a brand new r6

UCS Hellmaker posted:

22% interest rate
:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A bike got stolen from my apartment garage last year, had a pretty beefy-looking chain through the wheel but they just hit it with a sledge and shattered one of the links. I've currently got a Hiplok D1000 and am shopping for a chain and ground anchor, and https://www.soldsecure.com/ is the best/only source I've found for any kind of independent testing and rating of this stuff. That and the lock picking lawyer; he's obviously more focused on lock picking but does occasionally speak to destructive testing as well as what he uses on his own bike. No bike is un-stealable but the longer it takes and the more noise they have to make does work in your favor.