Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't own a bike, I can't ride a bike, but something in me really wants to buy a beat up piece of poo poo CB350 and turn it into a simple cafe racer, then learn on that. This is probably going to end in tears*, right?

I've been on the verge of learning/buying for years now, but nothing really hit me until I saw a simplistic CB350 cafe racer a few months ago. Now I can't get the idea out of my head. I actually actively dislike how most classic bikes look, but the conversion and racer style just clicked with me instantly.

* a half disassembled bike sitting in a garage for the next 30 years.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 19, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ok

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Indirectly, yeah. Machine shop access won't be a problem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fair enough, appreciate the honest answers :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the insight guys, I really do appreciate it.

To be 100% honest, the reason I wanted to go the Cafe route was that I really wanted a project to work on more than I wanted to learn to ride. I know it's putting the cart ahead of the horse, but I liked the idea of putting something together then learning to use it.

I may still do it, but my initial enthusiasm has been tempered somewhat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ouch -- speedy recovery, friend :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My rider training (Canada) was also just a massive dump of info that was hard to digest. I remember my first day went relatively well, but then when I got to the parking lot on the second day they had us do some complicated (well, relatively speaking) traffic simulation first thing right off the bat with no time to get warmed up on the bike and it was a disaster for me. Having spent eight hours riding the previous day it’s like I forgot everything overnight. Zero feeling for the clutch, my “instincts” for the bike had disappeared and it was pretty nerve wracking trying to do low speed turns and hand signals while trying to re-learn the clutch.

I emailed them and suggested that maybe a twenty minute “get re-acquainted with your bike” session might be a good first-thing-in-the-morning activity.

I lowsided my bike braking on a sharp swerve but still passed (on a sprained foot, no less :black101: ) with my only point deductions being for time since it was difficult to shift with a hosed up foot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When it comes time to do my M2 exit test I'm going to go back to RTI to do their skills course. Plus their exam counts for the M so I'm happy having them do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys do when you park in pay-and-display lots? Like, my receipt is literally going to blow away unless I... tape it to my windscreen?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

You're in Toronto right? Street parking in pay and display areas is free, don't go to lots.

Is it free in Toronto? I’ve been missing something.

I’m in Hamilton but this is good I go to have regardless since I spend a non insignificant amount of time in the 416

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to put on a fairing of every colour on my bike so that no matter what I put for “vehicle colour” on my registration it’ll still technically be correct.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That sure is a thing :stare:

Do you guys have a go-to app for recording your rides? I am trying out EatSleepRIDE but I can’t seem to keep the app from sleeping and my display going blank. I’d also like to use it as a turn by turn gps but I don’t think it’s that capable. I can drag a gpx file onto the web interface and upload a route but I don’t think that’s useful for turn by turn.

Essentially I’d like one app that both does turn by turn AND can record a route if I choose. If only Waze supported recording I’d be golden.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phy posted:

Particularly for lane change stuff, I try to stagger myself with respect to other cars in traffic when possible, so I've got a hole in front of and behind me that can be lane changed into, and I've got holes to my left and right that I can dodge into if necessary. The only time I like being directly alongside a car is when I'm accelerating past them so I can see if they look as stupid as they drive.

I can't stand driving next to other vehicles in my CAR, so this instinct is strong for me on two wheels as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a Patcktalk Bold and while I can’t say I’ve had my Bluetooth cut out, I HAVE had my BT cut out with my phone in my jacket on regular BT headphones for reasons unknown, so I’d say it’s definitely possible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really should be winterizing my bike but... I’m riding it instead. What even is this madness??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you turn this into a Speed-esque situation where you're just riding around Toronto 24/7 to keep your alarm from going off, I'll know :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to get motorcycle comms working with a car for a road trip? I have a Cardo system so I could theoretically just do a phone call and get the car to call me, but that sounds less than ideal.

It would be cool if Cardo sold a comms unit that you could just clip to the sun visor like the old timey Bluetooth mics you paired yo your phone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Technically I could probably mod a regular Cardo to a car. Neither the speakers or mic are really proprietary, it would just take a little hacking and soldering. I might see if I can put something together. Not really pressing but I am thinking of a 2 bike + car road trip to the cottage next summer so I’m thinking ahead :haw:

Would be interesting to see whether the feedback would be terrible, given that the mic doesn’t typically pick up speakers in-helmet.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 27, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah somehow I missed that part. I’ll give it a shot I think. Still wondering how much feedback you’d get since the mic doesn’t typically hear much of what’s coming out of the headphones. Interesting project for this winter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Heck, thank you for adding to my ever-growing list of things to do in Japan. I am definitely not bike-seasoned enough to do this during my 2020 trip but I'm pencilling it in for my 2021 itinerary :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

Sena also makes a non-helmet BT communicator that you can pair with a Cardo, and then use the same trick with the 3.5mm cable to the aux port. https://www.sena.com/product/bluetooth-mic-intercom

I literally just found this for 80% off MSRP on gpbikes.com and bought what appears to be their last one for fifty Canadian funbucks. Even if it sucks I bet I can resell it for more, so this should be a fun experiment!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

next season I'm going to plan some serious trips to enjoy the real corners a few hours away.

My 2020 goal is Hamilton to Muskoka for a long weekend with friends and back. That place was gorgeous to ride on four wheels, can’t wait to do it in two!

That’s part of why I’m trying so desperately to find a working way to comms with a chase car :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like we’ve got ourselves a group ride in the making!

I definitely plan to do Muskoka more than once so I’m definitely down to ride! I’ll probably be back on the bike once I get back from overseas in May so hopefully the weather is good by then :haw:

Haven’t been to Mt. Nemo but I’m in Ancaster so this sound like it’s right in my backyard. This year I did Hamilton to Niagara which was an AWESOME ride and recommended to anyone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mewse posted:

Considering putting one of these on my bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adD5oC2asXI

I was literally just watching that this morning and thinking the same

AWOOGA

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone seeing any BF deals on Cardo Packtalk Bold units?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m glad you’re allright; what an awful way to learn these kinds of lessons.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to add a helmet lock to my bike for next year and I'm seeing all these kits that either bolt onto the handlebars with separate keys I'd need to carry or U-bracket kits that go under the passenger seat..

Help me sanity check -- is there anything any of these kits would do that I can't accomplish by just getting a karabiner, attaching it to some kind of frame member under my passenger cowl, then clipping it to a helmet strap D-ring and putting the passenger cowl back on? Everything else seems needlessly complicated by comparison.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Just get a cable gun lock and loop it through like this

That's what I'd do if I wasn't annoyed at carrying an extra key. I have so many of those garbage locks.

Although I do have a combination tumbler variant.. hmm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did Kawasaki have a contemporary to the Honda CB350 back in the 70s? I know there's a lot of info on wikipedia but there's almost too much to go through. Essentially wondering how they competed with a CB350 on styling/displacement/power/etc, assuming they did at all.

General interest. Not buying more bikes :P

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks! I've always had a soft spot for for older street bikes and right now I'm on a team Kawa kick. Some awesome reading ahead :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What you want is plastic sliders so they actually slide. Often they come with their own bolts that are designed to stretch safely rather than hold tight and bend your frame.

The OES frame sliders I have are so form fitting that the second they contact the ground the bolt will bend and it'll crack my plastics anyway. I can see why Kawasaki's OEM sliders have a lot of clearance between the plastics and bolts.

Another reason I should have just bought OEM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t think I need it, but all of a sudden I can’t bear thinking of life without one :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Happy holidays guys and gals! Hope a fat man stuffed your stocking with lots of useless motorcycle farkles!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to wait until Princess Auto has a sale on slightly bigger garages :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sat on a lot of bikes at the international something or other bike show in Toronto today. Never been on a supersport before and was entirely unprepared for how leaned forward you are. It’s one thing to hear it and one thing to feel like you’re lying on the tank. Was also unprepared for how many bikes have various bits and pieces that really got in the way of a comfortable sit. Whether it’s things jabbing you in the thighs or uncomfortable square seats or just general weird ergonomics. Definitely not a majority but I was surprised by a lot. One of the Ducati models I sat on had some weird small round pegs that protruded directly into my thighs just above my knee. Not sure what that was about.

Putting my butt on such a variety was pretty eye opening.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 5, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sat on an older Rebel 250 too and that had probably the most comfortable bike seat of everything my rear end touched today. Felt downright luxurious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This, on the other hand, is awesome drone bike cooperation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0oJW7tq3Q

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow my bike didn’t come with no tinder hookups :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like the idea of saddlebags for doing a weekend cottage trip without a backpack.

Kawasaki doesn't seem to sell them on their site for my bike though, I'd probably have to go through a dealer to get them ordered. And right now I just want to focus on being ON the bike, not doing stuff TO the bike :q: