Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Do any of those gel grips help reduce vibration to your wrists? My broken arm/wrist keeps getting aggravated, even a day or so after just a 30 minute ride. The riding gloves that just came today while protective, dont really have much padding on the palms.

The gel grips help to a point. They are certainly nicer than 20 something year old hard rubber ones.
Some people fill the inside of the clip ons with BBs to help with the vibration as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It varies by state. In NC under 50cc was known as a Liquor Cycle. When you got a DUI you rode one because you lost your license. In other states you need a license to ride anything with a motor. Some require a plate and insurance, some states don't.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think the Repsol looks excellent. I wouldn't say poser to anyone riding one, I would just look in quiet envy.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think the '88 has a rear drum instead of a disc. I think they changed it in '91 or so. Other than that, they should be nearly identical.
It is true that shops are pricing out good techs. No one wants to pay for experience anymore.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

Its usually a number of things or little changes, but Ignition on, Engine Switch on, Petcock on, Clutch in, In Neutral Gear, Kick, then kick many more times. Usually theres other things like Choke on or off, but I can try any variation and still not have it start. But the procedure I just listed is pretty much what I do.

If the clutch is in, the motor isn't spinning when you kick I don't think? On all my old Hondas it was like that at least. Try kicking it leaving the clutch alone.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have one of those three headed brushes that I use to clean my chain (like this http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/p...&segment=badger). It works really well and was cheap.
I just put brush on chain, dump some simple green on it and rotate adding more simple green as I go. When it looks like it's been decrudded successfully I hose it all off then dry it with a rag. It comes out super clean and only takes about 15 minutes from totally disgusting to squeaky clean, ready for some lube.
I like using simple green because it works great and isn't going to penetrate the o-rings and mess the internal lube up.

EDIT: The only thing that sucks about this method is that you end up getting a bunch of little spots all over your arm from the brush. They are chain lube residue and are really hard to get off. I would recommend a long sleeve shirt that you don't care about and some latex gloves.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 1, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Maybe they think they'll end up running you and your bike over when you loop it and are trying to get clear of the potential carnage.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think it's wring as well. With a made up saying you can use ring as well (or anything else for that matter) but then you would be dumb.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most of the no helmet guys I've talked to dislike being told what to wear rather than the helmet itself. Not one of them mentioned reduced visibility, reduced hearing, etc. They just don't like being told what to do.
I can sorta understand the logic in wanting less laws on the books but grinding my face off down the highway is not a really good counterpoint to the argument.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Sweating a bit is better than skin grafts anyway. :haw:

Every time I get really hot in all of my gear I try to imagine what it would be like stuck in my bed covered in bandages from skin grafts. Immobile, hot, sticky, itchy, in all sorts of pain. Without fail I can make myself get over the minor discomfort and be happy again.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

One word:

Bees

If you have the visor open it's a scoop for bees. And wasps.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

^^^I still like the ugly fairing that came on our bikes. It reminds me of an Alien head. If I ever have to fight a Predator (or another GSX) I will put it on my hand as a shield.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You could replace it with any master cylinder you want really. No reason you can't stick one from a Ninja 250 or 500 on there. They look nearly identical and have to be common as anything.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Trintintin posted:

I don't know much at all about cars or motorcycles in general, but I have never ever heard of a circuit breaker on either a car or motorcycle.

Actually you do see them on cars sometimes. My Ranger has one for the wipers which came in handy when you turned them on while they were frozen to the windshield. I've never seen one on a bike before though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

So whose fault is it if you hit someone while lane splitting?
Last Friday I was on the 5 going through LA during rush hour. Traffic was moving at about 15mph, I was going 45 or so. I was following some dude through traffic when someone who must have been pissed at being stuck tried to squeeze me in after the guy in front passed. I whacked the poo poo out of his mirror, got a bit of a wobble but was fine. Anyway, I just kept going and later noticed that I have more scratches than I used to and a good bit of his white paint on my mirror.
Should there be stopping in such situations? For insurance? To punch him in the face for trying to squish me?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Watommi posted:

so as I merged onto the freeway (I-8 in El Cajon) a couple hours ago, I looked across about 6 lanes of traffic and saw a guy doing the huge "HI GRANDMA!" wave at me from the opposing lanes. I wondered if he was a poster from here, what with all the goofy discussions about waving we have.

This honestly was probably one of the guys I work with. If he's out smoking when I show up for work he does jumping jacks or a disco dance. He's a strange dude. My shop is about two blocks from the entrance to the 8 and we test drive cars there all of the time.

EDIT to add:

I found out two things today.

1) I'm an idiot (this I have suspected for years but have only just proven)
2) My bike is really heavy

For years I have read on Craigslist about the "small scratches on the side since I dropped it in the driveway" and have always wondered what kind of dumb rear end drops their bike when they are barely moving. Well, today I became that kind of dumb rear end.
I was backing my bike out of the spot I stuck it in and it kind of picked up some speed. I was thinking to myself "this is neat, but it's going kind of fast backw" THUMP! Helmet, gloves, keys and wallet all go flying in different directions.
After a frantic look around to see if anyone had noticed (they didn't) I picked it up and put it on the kickstand. Then I collected my gloves, helmet and sundry other poo poo off of the ground.
Fortunately the GS engine cases stick out about 5 feet on either side so it was only listing over a few more degrees from where it would if it were on the kickstand. No damage aside from maybe scratching off some dirt on the gennie cover.

I do however feel really stupid.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 18, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You need one of these for cutting them out http://www.cutting-mats.net/hobby-knives-2227.html
Much better for cutting circles than a xacto and patience.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Skier posted:

AMA Motow is only $35 a year on top of your AMA membership and I've only heard good things about it.

If you have cellphone reception you're not in the boondocks. :smug:

Did you end up making the sale ok?

Actually, AMA just started a program where if you sign up for automatic renewals you get the Motow deal for free. It even covers your car.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That dual clutch thingy looks neat and all but, yeah, why?

I use my clutch to take off and downshift into first. Other than that I generally don't use it for up or downshifting. It's plenty smooth once you've practiced a bit too. No fancy pants electronics needed.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

There already are tapered bearings in there. You might want to try and lube them before replacing them though. Mine had a funny, almost notchy feeling at low speeds and wandered a bit at high speeds.
When I took it apart I found the bearings were totally dry. As in maybe a bit of sticky grease residue on the tops of them, the bearings themselves were shiny.
After lubing them and tightening them down it feels perfect now.

I didn't have to do a complete disassembly of the front end to get at them. I removed all of the top triple junk and cleaned and packed the bearing. For the bottom, I just jacked up the front of the bike while it was on the center stand. The stem slid out enough for me to clean and repack the lower bearing.
Reassembly took a bit of finesse. You need to guide the stem and bearing back into the steering head of the bike while the front wheel is trying to roll away, at the same time you'll be working the jack and reinstalling the upper bearing and nuts. Just curse a lot and you'll get through it no problem. Or find someone who can do one or more of those things to help.
Well worth it and free as long as you have some wheel bearing grease around.

EDIT: I used the word "them" at least 50 times in this post. Where is my thesaurus?

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 29, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nice!
I spent the day pulling the carbs off the Bandit and making a list of things I need to buy. Then I went for a ride into the hills with a friend. Pretty CA Christmas here too.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I wanna know where you keep getting these bike deals. Remember that I'm over in Encinitas if you ever wanted any help. I will will steal your Bandit 400 from you

I just seem to get lucky on Craigslist sometimes. Not always though. The kind of running Ninja was kind of in 1000 pieces. It would have made a nice project but I'm out of room. Need to get a storage unit or something.
Hit me up if you want to hang out. I'm always either breaking or fixing something on someones bike.

On that note, I decided to get over my obsession with making everything I ride pretty and decided not to buy a new tank for the Bandit just yet. I ordered the POR 15 tank kit instead to take care of the rust issues and I'll just have to learn to live with the dent. It's really not that bad anyway, just annoying to an OCD person such as myself.
I'm going to use the $250 that everyone wants for a replacement tank to get the rear (GSXR remote reservoir) shock rebuilt and some springs and emulators in the forks. I think that's a lot more bang for the buck. Then to choose tires. This is the first bike I've owned in a long time that takes modern radial tires. I'm excited to be able to choose from more than one or two different models!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

You can help get my CB200 up and running sometime- I'm basically stumped as to why it refuses to idle and has no power, even after going through every possible thing. Let me know if you are ever near the coast, I'm not particularly a beginner mechanic but I always like hearing other's input.

Heck yeah I'll help you with the CB. I love working on old bikes, Hondas especially. IM me sometime this weekend if you want. I'm doing some stuff on the Bandit but it will only take a few hours. I can ride up and check it out if you want.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

Whats your IM Address? TheRealKarlMarx has never shown up on my AIM contacts list.

Look in my profile for all my contact info.

I guess my gmail doesn't sign into that anymore for some reason and I have no idea what the password is. Shoot a PM here or just email at jim.kresky (at) gmail.

You should definitely start a thread. I guess I should make a Baby Bandit thread once I start actually doing stuff to it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

No, I don't think it's bad to judge them on either. I do wonder what they would be like to talk to in person though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I actually saw a scooter trike the other day. I have no idea what kind, but it was some generic Kymco looking thing with two wheels in the back where there would normally be one. Weirdest of both worlds?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Lots of motorcycle themed marrying going on up in here.

Congrats on the future marryin' Z3N.

I'm going to be up in Torrance for work in a few weeks, I'll have to ride a bit further North and buy you guys some congratulatory beer and pizza.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

Thanks! It'd be awesome to meet up and hang out again, you'd be welcome to have a go on the DRZ if you're interested :)

The tank pad part is more for when you're hanging off...it gives your leg something to grip to on the tank.

As to sticking your crotch to the tank, well, that's between you and your bike.

Ah, never did ride a sumo before. I think I just might be interested in taking it for a spin.
I'll shoot you a PM when I'm going to be up that way. I'll be at American Honda all week dicking around in the training center. I'll have to sneak into the bike part and take some pics. The one in Atlanta had a cutaway NR750 motor on a stand which was super excellent to poke at.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You guys talking up these sumos. I'm starting to think this is probably the next thing I've got to spend all my money on.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Crap I think I'm getting old :(

I just installed my impulse purchased V&H system and god drat is that thing loud. It sounds nice and throaty but jeeze. It does however weigh at least 15 lbs less than the stocker so I guess that's good.
I'm going to give it a day or two to decide if I can deal with the noise. Funny enough the bike feels slower because I keep shifting at like 4k to keep the drat thing quiet, ha.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

drat, I got a 53 on the squid test. I think I'm a pretty safe rider too.

I'm going to have to rethink this though my answers may have been influenced by the fact that I was riding around in Mexico all day which has nearly zero traffic laws as far as I can see. I've never run so many red lights and stop signs in my life as I did today. That along with lane splitting wherever there is room, going the wrong way down one way street while following a motor cop, passing anyone too slow using the opposing lane even though it's full of people doing the same thing just pointed at you. Fun but scary.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

The other problem is that when the shop does it, they're probably not going to adjust them to the loose end of the spec if they're approaching it.

This is the truth. I know we're told to adjust valves to middle/tight spec to keep them quiet. On a bike with shims I'll bet you $100 that even if it's near tight spec they won't bother changing out the shim. They will be doing a go-no go check and that's it. Nothing really wrong with doing it that way but it's not the way I would do it on my bike or car. I do those types of adjustments on normal cars because most people don't like clicky, but on NSXs and back when I used to work on a lot of Porsches I used to ask the owners if they wanted them loose and noisy (but happy) or tighter and quiet.

I'm all for people taking stuff to the dealer (it's how I make my money after all) but you have to be aware of what's most likely going to happen.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

infraboy posted:

I want to check them on my GS... it just seems like removing the gas tank completely and putting it back on will be a huge pain in the rear end. It may just be me but the fuel lines seem fairly short, so it's difficult to be able to lift the tank up and turn that little tap off from the inside. Also i'm thinking that pulling out the 2 fuel hoses will be relatively easy, but putting them back on is another pain in the butt.

I think i'll give it a shot, but I need to order some feeler gauges and probably a micrometer to verify shim thickness, are the shims usually the thickness that is stamped on them?

Also do I really need to check them every 4k on the GS? Seems incredibly short, I mean at this rate i'd have to check them every 4 months or so. Does a certain type of riding determine how out of spec they might be? I am mostly commuting on the freeway these days, never really exceeding 80mph on the speedo at any point.

What type of GS? BMW or Suzuki? If it's a Suzuki you probably have screw type adjusters and don't have any shims to worry about. Feeler gauges you can get anywhere. Sears, Kragen, Harbor Freight.
My Suzuki GS is supposed to have a valve adjustment every 6K but after adjusting them to loose spec when I first got it and checking them at 6K I found that they would easily go to 10K before making it even close to tight spec. At 10K a few of them were getting pretty close to tight spec so that's my new interval.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would consider this story absolute bullshit if I didn't know the person well, but a friend of mine was pulled for doing 125 in Mesa last weekend. The cop walked up to her and said if she could tell him who Reg Pridmore was she would get a warning. Well, she knew who he was because she had done his class not too long ago.
Yep, she got off of a 125 in a 65 ticket with a warning. I'm sure it didn't hurt that she was a cute girl riding a Tuono rather than some dude in a tank top on a Gixxer but still. Luck is not the word.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

There were a bunch of ZX6s priced at $6700 at Fun Bike Center in San Diego a few months ago. I almost picked up a green one but then they started talking about lay offs at work and I decided the GS is just about perfect for another year or so.

EDIT: Seems like they still have them: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2009-KAWASAKI-Ninja-ZX-6R-95065454

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been riding around with my V&H system for about a month now and I'm planning on putting the stock one back on when I do my oil change in a few hundred miles.

I never had a loud bike before and thought it would be neat but goddamn, loud exhausts are annoying. Plus I really don't like having to wear earplugs just to run down the street to pick something up at the store. Not to mention I had to take my center stand off. I miss my center stand :(

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

teknicolor posted:

Oh, only $120 for 1 hour of riding? Yeah that's totally cheap.

I've never heard anyone complain after having gone to a track day. You are paying a lot for a little time on the track but you've got control riders helping you out, tons of people to ask questions in the pits, suspension guys to help you set up, not to mention tire vendors and all sorts of other crap. Some of them even offer one on one training for a bit more money. It's definitely pricey but from everything I've heard it helps you become a better rider much quicker than dicking around on mountain roads hoping you don't get killed.

I've never been to one personally so can't say for sure but I've heard enough good things from enough people to sign up for Streets in August.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm sure it's been asked before, but what do you guys do to keep comfortable on long rides? More specifically, how do you keep your butt from hurting? Being a boney sumbitch without fail after three hours or so I start getting uncomfortable. Another two or three after that and I'm hating life.
This has been the case over several bikes from standards to sport bikes to a sporty standard which I ride now. As far as I can tell getting a new bike probably won't help.
My next idea was to buy some gel padded shorts and see what they do. I've heard that cab driver seat covers for bikes work well too.
Other than that, maybe eat a poo poo load of Big Macs? Either I'll grow some padding or I'll feel so lovely I won't want to ride at all which will sorta solve the problem.

I've got a few multi day rides planned this year and I'm excited except for the prospect of sore rear end. That does not have me excited at all.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Well, I rode to Willow Springs and back yesterday (~400 miles) while following some of the advice here and wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I've been.
Mostly what I did was move around a lot and took three Aleve before I left.
I was not exactly in tip top shape upon my return but I wasn't ready to run it into a divider just to end the trip which is usually the case.
I also ordered one of those Throttlemeister things off of eBay but it didn't make it in time unfortunately. My wrist was one thing that wasn't too happy by the time I got home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Wow, sucks your girl got so pissed at you!

A girl I regularly ride with is FAST. Like fast as in she was out of sight on a twisty road and had to pull over to wait for me twice. Not so bad normally as I don't consider myself a super fast rider but she was on a N250 and I was riding my GS700. I don't even go out on twisty roads with her if she's on her Tuono.