Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Am I completely missing out on this fun because I have a DR650? I am seriously thinking about dropping the $1100 for SM wheels when it comes time for new tires :q:

Edit: I'm having insane amounts of fun too - but I haven't worked up to a stoppie yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I saw a newish looking Guzzi at school the other day - most gorgeous bike I've ever seen. I'll snap a pic if it's there when I go by tomorrow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Don't know what clip-ons are ... those little things you have on crotch-rockets.
Asked and answered :)

If it ends up not working on the clip-ons, I'd like it :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Zool posted:

A to go cup from a coffee shop, or something with a screw on lid?

^^It's not going to work, I retract my claim on the cup holder.

TTFA I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full or something :)

Edit: Totally taking this as it fits my bike :) Thanks ForwardAssist!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 4, 2009

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Christoff posted:

I'm not sure if it's being a fairly new rider, the thrill, or a combination of both. But drat if I don't stop riding to only find I'd been grinding my teeth the whole time.
Make it a point to loosen up. Do it every time you're riding a straight ... shake your head/helmet check, work your jaw up and down, roll your shoulders, crack any joints you can.

I like to also move around on the bike during these times - I'll stand up, sit down, shift my feet, lean from side to side. Whatever it takes to stay comfortable.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Simkin posted:

Well, unless it's loving pouring, and then I'll take whatever protection I can get. Sure, I'm wearing weatherproof gear, but water will find a way in, especially on a longer trip, and anything I can do to stay somewhat more comfortable, I'm going to do.

Even then, I'm inclined to agree with P_A. My bike is completely unfaired and if you're dressed appropriately, it's not a problem.

Edit: I think I've posted this before but get some powerstretch for wearing under even waterproof gear. It helps IMMENSELY.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phy posted:

I stand in school zones.

How else would I jump over the curbs? :confused:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Simkin posted:

I redline my engine to get everyone's attention, and then walk my bike home after a valve decides to make sweet, forbidden love to a piston.

This is why I dig modern electronics ... banging off of a rev-limiter is FUN.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ola posted:

Does anyone wave when cars let you pass? It hasn't happened that many times, but when I've been on great roads, having a good time and a car lets me pass I give them a big wave. It kind of has to be big since my left hand is busy and my right hand is obscured when I'm ahead.

"Oh god a biker, he's going to kill us, let him pass! Oh poo poo he just made a nazi salute, I TOLD you those guys are evil!"

I do, though I've taken to doing the English "thank you" (flashing blinker left right left) when I'm actually doing something fun - easier to do without taking a hand off the bars.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Orange Someone posted:

That's the english way? First I've heard of it. Or is that like how you crazy people call spin on a pool ball "English"?

I just nod my head at bikers, or if I'm lazy, a slight sideways inclination instead.

Truth be told, it's something I read here, though I'll be damned if I remember in what context. I guess it's not! :lol:

I figure either way it's pretty clear I'm acknowledging the person's action, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Simkin posted:

It only counts as waving if other riders are able to discern what you are doing.

:iceburn:

I'd pull my dick out if I didn't always have it out anyway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Spiffness posted:

It's pretty fun to turn your head from side to side and watch the rain droplets speed off your helmet though.
I do this. If you're going 20+, you can rotate your head about 10 degrees to each side, and the rain will just slide off.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

It's all in the technique.

Oh man, thanks for posting this. I always remembered that video showing the "proper technique" and could never get it to work on my bike - turns out it's what these guys call the proper technique for large bikes. The deciding factor seems to be width - it doesn't work on my bike because the bike isn't wide, and lies nearly flat on the ground when it's down.

Christoff posted:

I was pulling it out of my garage backwards (walking) holding onto the handle bars. I was on the left side of the bike. It's a tight squeeze so I have to go forward/back a couple times. While moving backwards it was as simple as "OH poo poo LEANING TO THE RIGHT TOO MUCH"
Mr. Clark2's question kind of leads to this, but it's something should be said - try to be sitting on the bike when you're moving it. It's much harder to drop.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure if I had a 6speed the only thing that would change is that I'd be trying to click into 7th instead of 6th :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Uthor posted:

I also constantly try shifting into 7th while cruising. I just don't pay attention when shifting, which causes problems when I want to get into 2nd and don't know for sure that I'm not in 1st or 3rd instead.
Years of driving stick and the fact that my bike doesn't have a tach help me out here. You get used to judging engine speed by sound.