Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Lady riders, here's your Harley!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/940268231.html

I like how sellers bury the fact that the bike is still being financed and that the "title will be mailed upon completion of payment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Edit: reposted in questions thread.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Coming to the realization that I need to start coming up with plans to retire the bike for the season.

What's up started-in-November '08-and-have-owned-two-bikes buddy? We even have ridden almost the same number of miles! (I have a couple thousand more than you neener neener)

I've also crashed. :(

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Is it bad that I judge the worth of these people's opinions by their spelling and grammar?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So I spent the last week riding my first 600cc sportbike, a 1994 CBR 600 F2. I really don't get the massive criticism they get here as streetbikes. Would I recommend them as a first bike? Hell no. Would I recommend them as a streetbike for an intermediate rider? Hell yes.

First off, the power delivery. Yeah, it definitely has more kick in the upper rev range, but it certainly is no slouch under 6k. I still have more use-able power off this thing than I did from my Yamaha Maxim 750. I was expecting this death machine that would turn demonic after 8k, but really, even with a pinned throttle in 2nd gear working through the powerband, I didn't encounter anything too harsh. It was fast, but predictable. I did notice that it tends to bog down below 20mph, but anything over that I can ride around just fine. Hell, I was cruising in SIXTH GEAR at 45mph without a problem.

Secondly, the ergonomics. This is a more comfortable bike for me (5'9", 145 pounds) than my previous standard UJM's. I've already ridden it for hours at a time and was infinitely more comfortable on it, especially my back, than the standards. It feels like I can support myself much more with my legs now, and I'm pretty good shape so my core muscles help to not load up my wrists on the bars.

Lastly, the handling. Oh god, the handling. It's so stable and planted. On my UJM's, which were admittedly old and probably had bad bearings, anything other than straight up produced some headshake and general instability. This bike feels exactly the same no matter where I'm leaned at.

I don't know if it's older CBR's in general (I do know the clipons are higher than many modern sportbikes and the seat is quite nice as well), or the fact that I happen to have the correct proportions for the bike, but I find it a joy to ride on the street. I don't see the tendencies some people list against 600cc sportbikes like them only being happy going over 60mph, or having un-useable power under 6k.

That said, I can see why this isn't a beginner bike. It's touchy, and it expects good inputs from the rider.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

At least BMW is optimistic about 2010: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/5762/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Motorcycles-Bullish-About-2010.aspx

Keep buying bikes, CA!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

A Harley Davidson dealership is getting so desperate that they've added Triumph to their offerings: http://www.newsobserver.com/business/local_state/story/346678.html?storylink=misearch

I guarantee this would not have flown with corporate if Harley was doing well, but their tune changes when nobody is buying their poo poo.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I've actually seen more than a couple of Triumph/HD combos. I'm not sure if they have some partnership going on or what?

Based on Triumph's comments on their Facebook page, it seems like it goes on a dealer-by-dealer basis, similar to how franchise restaurants may all run slightly differently or whatever. And it seems like HD guys like the classic line offered by Triumph well enough, being "historical."

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ola posted:

Hmmm, check out this ebay user

He's got a fuckton of used, "as new" TomTom Rider 2s for as little as $149. Any reason to suspect tomtomfoolery? Also he is a dick that won't ship out of the states, would anyone receive and reship for me? I need to look into mail forwarding anyway.

I looked up some reviews of the Rider 2 online and there's at least some very vocal people who hate it. I see claims of it not being very legible in the daylight, having a shoddy mount, and having ancient software compared to the likes of Garmin. Proceed with caution.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

Don't lean, and don't throttle too hard for the first 50 miles, or it will come out from under you." That kind of spooked me.

Haha, that's ridiculous. I've ridden on a couple sets of new tires and I've never had problems. Yeah, you won't want to be totally leaned over and gunning it at the exit of the corner, but you can certainly lean the bike and ride at the speed limit no problem with new tires. In fact, you want to lean the bike a bit to help scrub in the whole tire and not just the middle. The thing about bikes is that they like having throttle applied and they tend to be more stable at speed, so taking corners at 5mph and giving it no gas are going to make things more difficult for you.

You'll get your skills back in no time, especially with MSF. Don't be afraid of the throttle.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BARF member posts thread on how his bike is stolen...with amusing ending.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327101

The good parts happens on page 3.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Since this is the chat thread...

Thank christ it's riding season again. Riding with a ton of gear on is still fun, but not nearly as much fun. Nice to finally not have to wear heavily-insulated gauntlets to keep from getting frostbite.

I feel you. I ditched the winter gauntlets a couple days ago and immediately could ride with more confidence on the controls.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Some noob is gonna read this page and go....wtf...I don't know what the hell is going on...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Haven't spent much time in England eh? :barf:

Just about to say that.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Share your two-up tips and tricks. I've put down maybe 3-4,000 miles with a passenger so far but I'm looking for ways to make it more enjoyable on my CBR. Particularly with hard braking.

MY BALLS

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

You know you've found a good motorcycle forum when several of the members have had motorcycles in their goddamn weddings.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My mid-50s father just bought a Ninja 650R after not riding for 30 years because motorcycles are my life and he was jealous or something. Anyways, he's gonna be a squid and doesn't think boots or textile pants or even gloves are necessary. He does have a helmet at least. He did let me ride it back from the dealer because part of the ride involves a busy highway and he had the sense to know he was a bit rusty to tackle that. It was nice not riding a clapped-out turd.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the 650R is very comfortable. The stance is basically the same as a GS500.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 2, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I think I've convinced him to take the ERC offered by MSF. $80 here in Connecticut and you use your own bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Dual rounds look pretty good in my opinion. A single bucket is better, but dual rounds come in a close second. Anything that has a slightly morphed or irregularly-shaped headlight doesn't look quite as good to me.

As for Euro motorcycling, anybody from the US will poo poo their pants when they see all the geared-up riders. I immediately felt like I fit in for once in my life. Do plan on moving once I find a company that will sponsor me (hire me EU goons).

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Replaced the lovely D&D exhaust on my CBR F2 with the stock exhaust. So much nicer, oh man. I no longer feel like an obnoxious rear end in a top hat and the motor no longer sounds like a riced-out fart cannon - instead it has a deep, smooth hum.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Matching colors is only acceptable if the bike is black. Otherwise, you look foolish, just as you would look foolish if you drove a yellow car with a yellow shirt and yellow pants on.

Edit: This is the proper way to do it. I'm actually backwards from this guy and have a red suit coupled with a black bike.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 10, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My dad's Ninja 650R has a lot of engine braking as well. Even shifting up is a bit choppy. The manual states to give it half-throttle on upshifts. The bike will definitely punish you if you mistime your throttle blip on downshifts.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Finally got my knee down after having been trying on this one circular (completely good surface, visible, etc.) onramp on my way to a friend's place. It's so unreal having learned on UJMs that scrape after like 45 degrees that you can actually lean so drat far on a sportbike. I was concerned that my F2's pipe would scrape but I was hanging off like a chimpanzee so it all worked out.

And I STILL have about a centimeter of unused rubber on each side of the rear tire, and about 5mm on the front.

Sigh, why are trackdays so prohibitively expensive?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

At least I have the gear part covered. Bright-rear end red Fieldsheer suit in a size 38 from a local shop for $300 complete with some butt road rash. All I can afford this summer is a trackday up in Loudon in August, and maybe some new tires before that.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I know that realistically I shouldn't track my sole daily driver....but I'm not waiting with my current pay to purchase a trackbike. And I know that if I just don't go to the track for another year, I'll just keep pushing on the street. Sigh, why wasn't I born into a racing family and taught the art of motorcycle racing at the age of 6?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My F2 randomly power wheelied today. No idea why. In 2nd gear I had the throttle pinned, as I usually do when accelerating onto the highway, and today for some reason it had enough juice to lift the front end up about a foot for a good 1-2 seconds. Stock sprockets and everything. It's not even jetted that great!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Retard squid on a CBR1000RR with a loose and rusty chain tried racing me at a stoplight. He was the special kind of squid that had his helmet strapped to the helmet lock while riding. As he took off from the light (mis-shifting at 2nd) his sunglasses flew off his head and I "accidentally" ran them over. He pulled over looking confused and I rode by tapping my helmet.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I didn't dignify him by actually racing him from a stoplight, but that didn't stop him from revving the piss out of it and attempting to launch his bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I helped my girlfriend buy a 1973 TS185 for her first bike. It's an enduro bike, two-stroke, with oil injector so that you don't need to premix the fuel. The PO threw in some Enduro tires along with the knobbies that are currently mounted. It did about 55-60 with me on it on the way back home.

Anybody familiar with these bikes? Is it going to last a decent amount of time before I need to start fixing poo poo in the engine? Everything seems in good repair. Parts seem cheap on eBay. I felt pretty badass with a street-legal two stroke sporting a kickstarter at the gas station.

I have little to no knowledge of two-strokes. Why do they need 10w-40 in the crankcase and yet run on premixed fuel and oil?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Roger. Also, even though it's a single-cylinder, it has TWO spark plugs in the head with one spark plug cap. I guess the thinking is, if one fouls out, you just switch to the other. Seems like either the bike fouls lots of plugs or the designers just planned for EVERY eventuality.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Good advice.

Is there a way to check if the oil pump is working other than seeing if the oil is slowly used up with the gas?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Mid-ride report: Did 1,200 miles over two days on my CBR F2. That's 99% highway miles. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable but I did have to use about 5 different riding positions spread out over 15 minutes each looped continuously to keep from getting too hosed up. Now I really want a throttle rocker or cruise control before I head back in five days...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Here's my Pilot Power review after putting them on today: they're a lot loving better than Pilot Roads.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

-Inu- posted:

2CT or original Powers/Roads?

Original. The dual compound keeps the original compound in the middle and softer stuff on the sides, but I found the originals to provide plenty of traction and didn't see a need for softer stuff. They were great on the track and do fine for street riding as well. I ran them at 30/30 on the track and they got very sticky.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Sounds the same as putting Icy Hot on your balls. Not that I would know.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

http://www.gp-bikes.com/

Anybody play this yet? It's really good - probably the best motorcycle simulation available (which isn't saying much). The full version only has two tracks: Lime Rock and Laguna Seca, but the bikes feel really good. It'll suck with a keyboard, though - I prefer the Xbox controller because it has analog triggers for throttle and front brake.

I checked the forums and apparently it hasn't gotten any updates in a long-rear end time but is still under slow development, similar to Live for Speed or something.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Graphics suck, as is par for the course for a hardcore sim.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Superbike-X also sucks. I tried the demo earlier this year hoping for something realistic. Loaded it up, maxed out all the sim-modes, started a practice session. Default view is a chase camera and it shows my rider "auto-driving" out of the pits on the racetrack. Okay....so I start racing. The bikes flick over like a 400 pound fat man is riding them, and I managed to get a knee down in the sand doing about 100mph and not dump the bike. Uninstall.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oh man, I just had the best Halloween idea. Getting a bunch of bikers together to recreate something like this:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cast-and-crew/mad-max-cast/Mad-Max-Bikers/index.html

My naked CBR F2 would go PERFECTLY for this. Too bad I just cut my long-rear end hair or I could have been Toecutter. I've got the ratty old leathers, jury-rigged luggage, and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I'd sell my car and probably non-critical organs before I gave up on riding.