Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Not sure where this should go, so let's try here first!

I just purchased My First Bike (2005 GS500F) and I love it and I've been reading my owners manual and trying to do at least some basic maintenance/inspection, like checking the oil, brake fluid, air filter, yayyyy.

I was following this guide to get a look at the air filter. The air filter is under the gas tank. Upon removing the seat and the bolts holding the tank in place, as I lifted the tank I saw a hose slip and fall down into the bike.

Standing on the right side of the bike, tank is lifted (and held up by that 'husky' plastic tool resting on the battery), air filter is in view behind the hose in question:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/hose/pic1.JPG

Where the hose ends up, below the bike, next to the battery overflow hose:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/hose/pic2.JPG

The hose, removed:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/hose/pic3.JPG

It ends up outside the bike, so I'm guessing it's got to be some sort of overflow hose. Maybe for the gas tank?

I've looked all around and don't see any obvious place for it to go. :ohdear:

Here is a hose routing diagram for the GS500, which I can't make head or tail of, as expected :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
You mean this nipple next to the fuel tap in a few of the images?

http://www.everydayriding.org/2011/06/gs500-gas-tank-removal.html

I saw that but the nipple seemed way too big for my tiny hose. I'll man up and try to force my hose onto that nipple.

E: I forced it good. Thanks :)

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 4, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yep. New rider here. Nothing like throwing your leg over your new bike in front of a jealous friend :smug: only to tap it into first and have the engine die instantly.

"Uhhhhhh yeah that's a safety feature, see...the kickstand...yeah..." :ughh:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

AncientTV posted:

How long should I run at particular throttle openings for a plug chop?

:wtc:

Please explain.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
So you try to hit the kill switch with the throttle still turned? Or you throttle down and immediately hit the kill switch, and that half-second in between doesn't matter.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Don't get it. Left hand is busy holding the clutch, right hand is busy holding the throttle. So you hit the kill switch with your nose, then? :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Where the hell is your killswitch? You should be able to reach all of your buttons and switches without removing your hands from the grips.

For some reason I thought it was further. Never mind!

In other news my GS500 idles at about 1600. Methinks that's a bit high. The gstwins wiki says 1200. The picture on that page suggests I'll have to remove my fairings to do this.

Rats.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just had a dream where I let a friend ride my bike, and he dropped it.

That is all. :ohdear:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I adjusted the idle rate on my gs500. It was idling at about 1600 rpm, and I brought it down to about 1100 rpm. Success!

Except...the throttle/transmission feels super jerky now. With the clutch fully engaged, and the throttle fully closed (coasting in 2nd gear, for example), if I roll open the throttle a few millimeters, the bike jolts forward (throwing me backwards). Rolling the throttle back closed jolts back (throwing me forward). I'm making it sound worse than it is, just to get my point across. But it's definitely way more touchy than it was when the idle was higher.

What's going on here?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

idle mixture screw

Time to figure out what this is!

Ola posted:

take out a plug and describe what it looks like

Uhhhhhhhh yeah. :ohdear:

Z3n posted:

Are you sure you're not just riding around in second gear when you should be in first? If it only happens at low speed and low RPM, be a gear lower.

I've driven stick on 4-wheelers for years (10+), so I'm leaning fast where I'm supposed to be on the bike, rpm-wise. The symptom still exists at higher speeds/rpms.

Z3n posted:

Also, how is chain slack and adjustment? Consistent and in spec

I will check!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

jump it up to 1300 and see how it feels then

Also, you're adjusting idle with the bike nice and warm, right? Ideally after a 10 minute or so ride?

Yep, I adjusted the idle after riding home from work (about a half hour) so the engine was nice and warm (hot, even) by then.

I'll play with the idle, hopefully there's a middleground I can find.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
While I was used-bike-shopping, I met more than one owner who refused to let me take their bike down the block. Not "for a spin, see you 20 minutes", just to the end of the street and back.

I was honest and said "although I've taken such and such rider training course, this is my first bike purchase".

What's the protocol here?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
At home, my gs500 is parked 3 floors underground, where it's relatively warmer than street level. It's getting pretty loving cold in Toronto. I rode into work last week and mentioned "god drat that was a cold ride", and my co-worker called me a pussy because he rides to work an hour earlier, and THAT'S when it's REALLY cold. So I replied "well we'll just see who stops riding their bike to work first". Hint: it won't be me. I've got "who's a pussy now?" locked and loaded.

All in good fun :)

Anyways. Today...

Rode to work, all good.
Rode to lunch and back, all good.
Leaving work...bike wouldn't start.

The engine was turning over, but wouldn't actually start. Gas, check. Choke, check. I guess it's just getting too cold? Since I still know jack about engines, I figure I'm hosed and spend 10 minutes trying to wedge the bike into the office. Finally get it through all the corners and into the warehouse in the back.

I give it ONE MORE TRY and the drat thing starts.

So now I'm squeezing it back through the office, while it's running. 10 minutes later I have it outside, motor running, visor down, big smile on my face, kick it into first, loving KICKSTAND MOTHERFUCKER NOOOOOOOOO

:ughh:

epswing fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 18, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bondematt posted:

If it started with warm air, but not cold, it could just be too lean to kick off. What was the temp?

The gas/air mixture was too lean? Because the air was cold? Explain!

It was about 10 C (50 F). Which honestly doesn't seem that cold to me, but then again my only frame of reference is my car, which starts in -25 C (-13 F) weather.

Bondematt posted:

Did it start fine after the kickstand cut out outside?

Yes. I still can't believe I fell for the kickstand gag again. I swear it only happens when I'm :smug:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

I've been thinking about electric conversions a lot lately, came across this pic in an hell for leather article about the Yamaha TMAX.

If I was an alien, that's the bike I would ride.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ReelBigLizard posted:

giant flywheel

Gyroscope?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just got my M2, in Ontario that means I can now ride with a passenger, ride on highways, and ride at night.

I threw a chicky on the back seat, and holy poo poo, huge difference. If my gs500 was't struggling, it certainly was working overtime. Notable decrease in handling, acceleration, deceleration (as expected, I guess).

Guess it's much less of an issue for bigger bikes/engines?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Turning a bike into a "streetfighter" is just removing the fairings?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is this as hard as it looks? http://wimp.com/guybike/

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Pulled my spark plugs today. How do they look?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug3.jpg (rust near the nut, is that bad?)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug4.jpg

Also, the bike (2005 GS500, 6000 km) has trouble starting up. The starter sounds like it turns the engine over, but it doesn't actually start. For the last month, it's been hovering around 0 - 8 C, and I've ridden it once a week, and I've had to bump start it every time. Here's a video:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/startup.mov

A minute after I took that video, I bumped it in 2nd, started right up. Is my battery just not providing enough power?

Also, after starting, my exhaust looks like this (full choke still on):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/exhaust.wmv

Is that normal? It was about 2 C at the time, if that matters.

epswing fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 26, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm going to Vegas for a week. I want to rent a cruiser for a day or two. The prices seem ridiculous though, like $200+ per day. That is all.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I haven't used my bike for a couple of weeks. It's in a parking garage, on the center stand, full tank of gas with stabilizer, battery is sitting in my house hooked up to a charger.

Is there any issue with slapping the battery back in and taking it for a ride, once every few weeks?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Sweet.

And how much stablizer (seafoam?) should I be adding to a 20L tank?

E: Bah, I scanned the bottle and didn't see it. Going blind.

epswing fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 6, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

echomadman posted:

Slipping wont hurt the bikes clutch the same way as a cars.

Why is this?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Once I borrowed a friend's automatic Subaru Forrester. We were at a red light, and I put it into neutral so I didn't have to hold the brake (because the drat thing would roll forwards if it was in "D"). A few seconds later I forgot what I was driving, and mashed the clutch (the brake) all the way in, with my left foot. When the light turned green, I'm tapping the gas, letting off the "clutch" a little bit, the engine is working hard, the car is lurching and struggling...ugh.

A few seconds (and a few honks) later I realized both feet were on both pedals. :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Frankston posted:

Some fucker just tried to steal my bike and dropped it, now the steering bar is all bent out of whack.

Going to need more details here...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
How effective is my built-in handlebar lock?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I need to pick up an oil filter, an air filter, and brake pads. There aren't any moto-friendly places nearby, that I know of. I'm looking for a reputable online Canadian dealer that I can order these simple parts from. I don't really want to order from a US dealer and get facepunched with "brokerage" fees when the parts cross the border.

There are a few that come up in a simple google search. Any Canadian goons have any recommendations?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

_Dav posted:

Anyone else here got an Almax? I went for the series IV (19mm, 1.5m), and actually carry it on the bike the whole time.

Where on the bike do you store it? Or do you wear it like a messenger bag? Looks heavy.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

GanjamonII posted:

if it gets stolen I have insurance.

What steps does an insurance company take from the moment you call saying "my bike was stolen" to ensure your bike was in fact stolen and not sitting in your garage?

What's their fraud prevention strategy?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm paying $1400 per year. 28 years old, Suzuki GS500, new rider.

(Part of the reason I got this bike is because a 650 was $2400 per year.)

Insurance is the biggest loving scam :/

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

SlightlyMadman posted:

Have you shopped around? That can't possibly be right.

Go get a quote, mang http://www.ridersplus.com/insurance_quotes.php

(You can use postal code L5N3M7 on the form, and choose moto license M2, and that you got it sometime in 2011)

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 13, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Who are you with? I just picked up my M1 in Aug, M2 in Oct, so I'm guessing that's why mine is stupidly high for a 500cc.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
First oil change: completed!

Oil is easier to clean up than I thought.

Yes I dropped the drain bolt into the oil pan after unscrewing it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm in Toronto and I went riding yesterday :v:

My hands are typically the first and only things that get unbearably cold, so at the international motorcycle show a couple weekends ago I made the capital investment of heated gloves.

I was seriously thinking about heated grips, but I went with heated gloves because (A) when I sell the bike, they stay with me, and (B) I can also use them for snowboarding.

They don't hook into the bike's battery, they contain a removable pair of lithium ion batteries per glove (and came with a charger). Each glove has 3 heat settings. They are delicious.

epswing fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 23, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

lowcrabdiet posted:

What gloves?

These are them http://www.ventureheat.com/p-922-battery-heated-gloves-black.aspx

I guess they're not specifically "heated motorcycle gloves".

At the lowest temp setting they're supposed to last 8 hours, and highest temp lasts more like 2 hours. Takes 4 hours to recharge.

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 25, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Last week I was in LA and I did this http://g.co/maps/uyupw on this http://i.imgur.com/8GhVu.jpg

it was

SO

GOOD :keke:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What is this box you speak of. I did my rider training course (Ontario) in September, I don't remember any box-like part of the test at the end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
If it's sitting in your garage and there's no time constraint, it costs nothing to list a bike you're selling at substantially more than it's worth. Maybe some moron will bite, right?

Just playing devil's advocate...