Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Glad you're (mostly) ok. Too bad nobody got a plate on the guy. What a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Who needs a cupholder? Whenever I have to carry coffee on my bike, I just take some saran wrap, seal it over the cup and put the lid on, and put it in the end pocket of my duffel bag. When I had my only highside, I was returning from the coffee shop. After picking up my bike from the pavement, I got into my bag, only to find that my coffee hadn't spilled a drop. When the paramedics and fire dept. showed up with the police, I was shakily sitting on the curb, drinking coffee. One of the cops said, "don't tell me you were drinking that when you crashed." I said, "gently caress no, I'm not crazy. It was in my bag." The cop looked puzzled and said, "It didn't spill?" I shook my head and he said :cool:

That is the :black101: way to carry your coffee.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MooseNoose posted:

I'm currently up for getting new insurance, but I have a small question about an incident before I go out getting quotes.

Several months ago I pulled a stupid move and laid down my SV during a panic stop. It was a single vehicle accident. I made no claims to insurance, received no citation from the police, but a police report was filed.

Is there anyway a insurance company would come across that police report while checking my driving history or in the vehicle records? Should I mention this incident at all when going for a quote?

I probably already fouled up pretty bad by not reporting it when it happened. Any advice on the situation?

If you never received a citation, then you didn't do anything wrong in the eyes of the law. The insurance company isn't going to have access to police paper like a report that reads "dude fell down." You did right not reporting it, insurance companies live to gently caress you. Don't mention it, pretend like it never happened :ninja:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MrKatharsis posted:

At 500 miles a week, you should factor in new tires twice a year. That will add $600-800/year by itself. I assume you are insuring the bike, which can run between $50-100/month(on the cheap end). It ends up being pretty close to a wash.

Well, that depends too. I pay $78 a year for my insurance, and that's what, 6 bucks a month? And some of us assholes still put Chen Shins on our bikes :haw:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Hahaha, :wtc: : http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/1040761737.html

Guy asking $1000 for a set of Harley leathers. Mind you, 1k for a lovely vest, lovely chaps, and a lovely jacket, none of which are armored/waterproof/worth a good goddamn.

Oh, and a used helmet :downs:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

Oh, some mouth breathing retard will pay that...because they're 2k from the dealership. :rolleyes:

How does Alzheimer's ride people anyways?

Let's take the CB200 for an example:

Found in a dumpster, not running. Pulled off all of the extraneous crap (e-start, etc). Changed the oil. Cleaned the carbs up, didn't replace anything.

Some new plugs, oil down the cylinders, kick it through a few times, and one good kick, and it started right up. It's been running for around 5k, now, no maintenence, learner bike for 5 people, used as an offroad beater, on road beater, I abused the poo poo out of it, my g/f took it to max speed (65mph, :woop:) and held it there on freeway trips.

So...my experience is, if you see something with a Honda badge in a dumpster, it's probably worth picking up.

The thing about the older Japanese bikes is they're hilariously overbuilt. They understood the basics behind building a motorcycle, but the major stuff got industrial strength components to avoid any reliability issues, and what you end up with is a bike that doesn't have a electrical system worth a drat but as long as you can get spark to the cylinders, it'll run until the world ends.

A well cared for example probably would still have the electric start, even. And you wouldn't have bothered to drizzle oil down the cylinders before the first start.

Yeah, I'm sure he won't have much trouble selling them, I was just laughing that for the same price you could probably pick up a new 1-piece with full armor and supermegafuckofftitanium pucks or something. You crash in that and not only are you out 1k for your ugly poo poo but 50k in medical bills for a 15mph lowslide.

And as far as Hondas go, I'm a believer. I don't "abuse" my bike by doing things like wheelies/stoppies or attempt to go offroad with it, but I certainly neglect the poo poo out of it (I do kinda feel bad about that :( ) and every spring it starts up with a cough or two and then runs like it did before I put it away. Today I'm running (well, walking :v: ) down to the autoparts store to grab a battery charger since mine got stolen. I will bet cash monays that once she's sat on the charger for a few hours she's going to kick right over and I can take her out tomorrow. Hell, maybe even tonight depending on how long it takes to get the battery up to starting strength. I haven't touched her since I parked her in the driveway for the last time December 13th. And last week there was 4 inches of snow on her since I have no garage and no cover.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mine's an 82. I bought it from the original owner, who put 15k on it before deciding he was getting too old and scared to ride it anymore. I don't know what he did with it, but cosmetically she was in good condition, and the price was cheap ($500). Since then I've put about 8k on it, and I've had it since 2000. Not a lot at all, though the past couple of years I've ridden it every day from spring to fall and it's been my only source of transportation. Wintertime I take the bus.

While not a high-mileage rider I am certainly the poster child for "lovely bike owner." Valves? What are those? Oil change? Oh yeah, I haven't done that in a couple years, I oughtta have the mechanic do that when I take it in for inspection. It's only recently that I've taken an interest in learning all about my bike and how to fix it; I'm still too chicken to do any major work for fear I'll irrevocably gently caress something up. I think once I have my car back up and running I'll be less hesitant to attempt stuff since I'll still have a way to get around if I screw up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Christoff posted:

Also, I just got my bike registered and realized it said "Not actual mileage." I'm gonna give the previous owner the call. What it had on the title was about 7k and the bike is at 8.5k miles now. So I'm not sure if the odometer stopped working, the engine was replaced, or what. It runs and looks fine though. The odometer and trip are working perfectly fine as well.

That commonly happens when the speedo/odo gets replaced because of instrument failure or smashy smashy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Phat_Albert posted:

Ha, it got above 40 here in Milwaukee, and there were bikes everywhere.

It always amazes me what people in warm climates consider cold.

I rode to work Monday morning. I think it was 20-something degrees out. Then a storm moved in so I had to ride home in the snow :smith: It wasn't too bad since my commute is only 3 miles but every person on the road looked at me like I was loving insane (good call). If you think rain on your visor is annoying, try scooping off handfulls of sleet :v:

As long as it's dry I'll do ~5 miles down into the teens and I have no special or heated gear or grips.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That's why I buy Chen Shins. I don't ride aggressively enough to need a good sporty tire. I think mine were like 50 front and 70 rear.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I did some research before buying. CS's aren't Dunlops, or Pirellis, or any of the other more expensive brands, but they're not complete pieces of poo poo. I've never had them slip, leak, or give me any kind of trouble. Most of my riding is around town and they've done very well at that. On the occasions I've gone to ride the twisties or been on the freeway there's been nothing that has indicated they aren't up to the task.

I ride pretty much like a grandma on Sunday. If I had a faster/more aggressive bike I would probably have gotten something else, but on a 27 year old sedate standard they've been fine.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Linedance posted:

wow, that works for the UK too! Cool! (not that I'd trust any sort of UK weather forcast to be accurate)

What's so hard to figure out? Rain, rain, rain, rain...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

I hate carburetors.
I hate Keihin carburetors.
I hate multiple Keihin carburetors.
I hate Honda for using multiple Keihin carburetors.
I hate rainy 55* days in June.

That is all.

Well, it could be worse. You could have a CBX :v:

The Superhawk project has been on hold because while it's been nice during the day (while I'm working), every evening about 5 o'clock the clouds move in and it starts pissing rain. Normally I'd be a big fan of this weather pattern but it's keeping me from getting any work done :argh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:roflolmao: I was about to suggest that you try the spark advancers next, but that's a fix we can all live with.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You should. I always tried to keep mine around 3-5k, but the i4 really likes higher revs. Beat on her a bit and she'll love you for it :whip: I sometimes have that same problem where I'll lose power around 6k when on the freeway (if that won't make you poo poo your pants very little will). Hasn't happened recently but be sure to clean out the vent hole in the gas cap.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gnomad posted:

Buell sort of marketed the Ulysses as such.

It is a nice bike, insurance costs ruled it out for me. For dirt roading it's a bit short and tall, OTOH it's easy to pick up again. I've seen it done a couple times. They are prone to falling over in the dirt.

I was up in Park City yesterday and I saw 2 sets of motor cops riding Ulysses(es?). They had them kitted up and they looked pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OrangeFurious posted:

In other news, Harley Davidson's second quarter earnings are down 91%.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/07/harley-earnings-drop-91-for-2n.html

That's what you get for making ridiculously overpriced poo poo :colbert: (NOTE: I do know that Harleys aren't complete garbage, but in this economy you might want to consider the fact that you're selling a luxury to begin with and that maybe 30k for a wheeled couch is a bit excessive)