Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Heated grips are so drat nice when you forget to bring your waterproof gloves. Also, I really wonder what the rest of the people coming out of the store was thinking about me slowly going about my business, loading up my foodstuff, putting on my gear then my rain suit in the middle of a real downpour. Lesson: look harder for some kinda roof/overhang to park under when the weather is unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've had my motorcycle licence for 6 weeks and I've done about 2500 miles already.
I just got back from a 3 day trip, after tossing the spent clothes in the washing machine and getting some dinner I start plotting the next trip in Tyre.

I'm gonna go insane this winter when I can't drive.

or get a winter beater..

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yesterday I went for my first ride this season. Managed to fiddle around for 4 minutes wondering why it didn't want to fire up before remembering to check the kill switch.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My brother has the ktm one on his 2013 690 duke. It works ok, but has a few issues.

Dont ride on gravel roads without a hose avaliable, the alu plug you plug into it when the bolt is not engaged can pop out if not seated properly(see dust from gravel) and it eats keys, one key was worn out after sub30 locks. He's waiting on warranty for that key. It can also be abit hard to disengage if you roll it to much forward to engage it( instead of just a little bit) as the bolt cant be pulled from the disc hole without a bit of effort.

It's very practical as a concept, except of the eating of keys bit.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Just got back from a nice trip. Went from oslo to copenhagen by boat, then drove to bornholm, öland, gotland and back to oslo.

Never been in that part of Sweden/Denmark before, the islands was nice and different from each other with amazing nature, but in general the roads was drat boring.

Route is approximate, as google didn't like a million way points on the same map. We has a real nice drive on the northwest coast of öland on some gravel roads there that's missing from the overview.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 9, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I love driving my brother's car, but it's not the most practical thing to haul parts in.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've looked real hard on the versys 650, as for some reason that bike really does not retain it's value here in Norway.
Slightly used 2008 models go for the same price as a 99-2000ish bmw gs650.
The bikes are good overall, rev happy parallel twin, stock suspension more towards the sportier side, brakes are okay. Front wheel is 19" not 21" so more road than gravel oriented. 2008-2009 model had an issue with the frame front engine mount cracking but that's the only mayor issue I've heard about.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I'm really kicking myself that I didn't change the fork oil the moment I got my bike rather than a year later.. Feels like a whole different bike with the right amount fresh of oil of the right weight. loving previous owners.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Holy poo poo and the Sena 20s is in another league compared to my old scala G9. So insanely faster in every action, much better audio and the default speakers are actually good.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Radbot posted:

gently caress me, work is going to start charging $15/day to park here in Denver. CO allows "low power" (under 50cc) scooters to park on the sidewalk and doesn't require full DMV registration.

Sounds like I've got a Ruckus, Zuma, Buddy or their ilk in my future. Hell, I'd likely pay a used one off in 4 months max just with parking savings alone.

No Sachs MADASS 50?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

No clue sadly, just recently ran into a 125cc version of it for sale.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

That reeealy depends on what that store considers as gear. Sure, a brain bucket is better then nothing, but if the dealer is like any dealer i've encountered they'll see to that what a new unexperienced rider gets in included the deal gear will be 3+ year old outdated, discontinued lowest cost poo poo.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I make it a point that the Abus folding lock for my rear wheel and front the disc lock are somewhat visible below the cover edge, even less reason for someone to take it off to scope out the bike.

Though, who'd bother to steal a 20+ year old transalp?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My brother has a duke 690 and wanted a small gravel oriented bike that he didn't have to worry about dropping.

Reqs was: light, road capable, long service interval, cheap

Enter the Honda nx 250:

He's working on getting it shipped cross country over so he can mod it over the vinter.
Heated grips, some kinda side rack system so he can use soft bags, barkbusters, led blinkers + cyclops light. He's looking into homebrew a metal bash plate + rack, as there was little of that made for the model

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Back to HUD chat... I'd think this would be a great use case for Google Glass, right?

I'll wait for the Carl Zeiss variant. No need to look like a gargoyle and usable with any helmet that accomondates normal eye wear.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It also makes you look like a cop according to the interactions my bother has had with his hi viz Schubert C3 pro + klim gear and hit-air vest.

+ + +

Multiple times he's had people do the "oh poo poo! A cop!" reflex and excusing their bad parking as temporary etc.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm, I really like this bike.

180kg wet, 450km range, 25ish horsies, big front wheel. huge travel on suspension

If I want to go retro hipster style, I can actually get a bike for my kinda riding.

http://www.gizmag.com/royal-enfield-himalayan/41671/

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdInyfUD8M

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Well, now I know what a knackered ball bearing in the front wheel feels like. Good that it only manifested itself 50 miles into a 4 day trip, but sucks to loose the riding days. oh well, I actually have spares.

I had felt a mechanical/metal knock/crush a couple of times recently in the front fork/wheel/handlebar, now I know what that is.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 13, 2016

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Nitrox posted:

If I want people to recommend me some riding roads, which is the best thread to ask?

Once you've tried it's easy to find potential good roads on Google maps or similar. Look for roads that has to work against nature, ie up a valley, over a mountain pass, along a coastline where there is limited space due to hills. For me interesting roads is squiggly roads on maps. Some of the best roads I've found is old local roads in hilly regions where the traffic is light enough that they never straightened the old roads between the farms, so you get undulating roads that follows the landscape. Pure loving bliss.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why not take the bike? Fairly sure there's a direct ferry from somewhere in the Northern Wastelands.

The only ferry from Norway to England is the few cabins for non-trailer people on dfds trailer ferry that leaves from near Porsgrunn on the south eastern part of Norway to immingham, 6 cabins only, needs to be booked months in advance. 28 hours(!) travel time. All booking by phone.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

100 miles on gravel today at around 2500-3000 feet. 5 gates bypassed, rested the bike on nature on 2 of them as it got unbalanced walking it standing beside it under power. Had to turn around once because of a unmelted snow drift.

A Good Day.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

loving around with templates for fun stuff to put on my all black boring helmet,laser printer vinylpaper.

On each side, mirrored forwards for maximum prancing:

Middle back:

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 28, 2016

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Gimme other spellings or non black armpits if you find em. Vector if possible, 1 sheet of paper is 5$

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Adventures in laser printable water proof stickers part 1.

side view

Lessons learned:
- the sticker is fragile as all hell when removed from the backing paper.
- big stickers is hard to get right on a curved helmet, use smaller ones.
- Durability when dried? who knows.

I'll just use my helmet normally and see how durable it is when it dries.
Next round will be with smaller stickers and clear plasti dip for sealment

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

if you have room/angle: cut a slot in the head, get an impact drive and apply blunt force?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ofc the one specific tool I really need to adjust my valves, a 24mm combination wrench, was not in my tool set. This was discovered an hour away from it, an hour into the task and after closing time for any local stores that may have it. Que borrowing a car from my father so I didn't have to put all the fairings back on and driving back to get it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Sounds like valve inspection caps like on older Honda engines. Just use an adjustable wrench if that's the case, dude. They shouldn't be torqued that much.

Correct, valve inspection caps for the exhaust valve. The front cylinder one is almost flush with the frame so you need a really long and slim tool, so no sockets. The fit is so tight that the ring socket on the wrench will not go over, need to use the open end. Sadly the metal in the caps are so crap that I've broken one and semi-mangled another. a tool with play in it like an adjustable wrench makes it worse.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I use https://www.myrouteapp.com/ for route planning and export it as itn file to copy it by bluetooth or usb cable to my tomtom. I only have the free membership there so I can't compare google map vs how tomtom actually will route it in the the browser but for planning it works great. You can export in a million different formats and you can use the app for logging to(which I dont, I use sportstracklive for that.) Afaik there is a supported navigation app you can easily push stuff to also.

Here is a route I made and rode this summer. Tons of gravel roads near the highest mountain in the country.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/161715?mode=share

Edit: this one is more fun, the previous day. https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/158318?mode=share

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 10, 2016

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Found a local supplier for JB Weld to reinforce a weakened insert on the exhaust on my transalp. Managed to mangle it when I replaced the rusted through stock exhaust with an aftermarket slip-on last fall and It's been like 2 months between each bodge repair to stop it leaking. I'm gonna be my own previous owner.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My dad got hit by a layer dan about 10 years ago. He and the wife was riding along when some dong coming the other way misjudged distance/didn't see them and tried to pass a car. He then got scared and and sent his bike flat towards them. Totaled the bikes and sent them both flying. They got banged up but was wearing full gear, they where just glad they left the dog at home that day, it was a small phalene(droopy eared papillon)they usually had in a soft cage on top the back luggage.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Those with 2 wheels up front right? Only reason they exist here in Norway is the loophole that they can be driven with a car license, no need to get a motorcycle one. So we have lots of people riding around something that behaves like a bike but they have no training for.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Just grab any bike that is in a style you like and is reccomended here.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Found a new to me bike listed locally. Cagiva Canyon 500. I've never lost interest faster on a bike when I looked it up.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Coydog posted:

Even this?

yeah, the looks what was made me even look it up. From what i could find of reviews and info, the Canyon 500 is the second version of the canyon, with a lower cc engine, first was 600?. 500 version is heavier than the 600 cc version, has less horsepower ofc, bad build quality and engineering even for italian standards. Very little aftermarket stuff, some wear parts are avaliable, but parts not shared with other models are hard to get. Versus other similar bikes its a baad choice.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

He had some problems last year with some hilariously inept youtube logger dmcaing his video twice.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, that Chase guy. makes silly mistakes, gives his bikes girl names, supreme overconfidence in his riding ability, the whole shebang. And he now has 500k+ youtube followers? uugh.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've been farting around on a Mash 400 Adventure here on tenerife for 3 days now, done about 500Km.

Short version, they're crap. Me and my brother are running one each, and my dad has a 400cc scrambler. Milage on the 2 advs are 2600 and 4300 km, the scrambler is on 27000km

Both adventures has real bad fuel injection maps, and wont idle properly when varm. No problem when there is load on the engine, just ideling at stop lights etc you have to keep the throttle at about 30% atleast. the scrambler does not have that issue. 1 of the adventures and the scrambler has problems shifting up to 2nd gear. Sometimes you need 3-4 inputs to change up. The front dampers of the advs are really bouncy. the factory grips on the scrambler are too big on one the left side, and like 1/2 inch of the outer part of the grip are not on the handle bar. The pin to hold the spring for the side stand broke off on one of the adv(boogler welded on again by the rental shop). All have ok torque and the adv bikes are nible to toss around bends.

Bikes aside, Tenerife is a really fun island to ride on. 80% of the island is conncted with a proper 2 lanes each way divided highway for quick travel, and there are tons of local roads that are either twisty as heck, scenic or steep. (max grade we've done is 110m in 500m, about 20%. The road from the north airport towards teide on top of the ridge is real nice. you hit 2400m/7800 feet on the way.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Husky 701/ duke 690. the 660 is afaik not legal for new models in europe anymore.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It's so drat nice that the riding season is on again. I rode south from Oslo towards a family cabin near Fredrikstad and around Moss the little snow there was in the field slowly dissapered. Mind you it's only +5c out, but drat it the roads are ice free and not salted. Heading over the swedish border to Ed to ride some nice roads and bring back some cans of imported american beer from the local wine/strong beer monopoly. We let the cabin go unheated during the winter as there is no running water there (summer water only) but that means the stockpile is dry come spring since we dont want frozen exploded cans and it needs filling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Back from a little trip, went abit more south instead and stopped by strömstad on the way back as they got a better selection.

lets see, I only buy cans to reduce weight + breakage risk.

Stone brewing - little bastard ale (brewed in berlin, they set up a brewery there)
Crazy mountain brewing - snowcat coffee stout
Founders - Centennial IPA
Avery - Ellie's brown ale
Ska brewing - Modus hoperandi IPA

and some others that looked interesting, only got 2 cans each of these
williams bros - Caesar augustus ( scottish, hopped lager)
Belhaven - Intergalactic(scottish, also a hopped lager)
Grain d'orge - Pale ale (french, organic gluten free pale ale. wanted to see if it was ok, most gluten free beers focus on gluten free first and taste is purely secondary).

+ 2 bottles of wine
Chateau mont-redon 2011 from Chateauneuf du pape
Domini Veneti 2012 Amarone della valpolicella classico