Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm thinking about getting into bikes because it looks to have a great price:fun ratio, plus I live in the southwest so it's almost year round riding weather here. I had a cb350 a couple years back that I was restoring just for fun, but sold it before I finished (and learned how to ride.)

As of right now it seems my logical first step is to take the official beginners class and test at the local college and see if I like it. If I do stat shopping around, what's a decent displacement for a beginner, average height and thin? I would love to not kill myself, so I'll be researching proper gear, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

...relatively speaking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Schroeder91 posted:

I wish you were still in Phoenix Rolo, I'm selling my cbr500r.

Bummer! Luckily, I bet I can find something I like in Vegas. I cant believe how expensive old CB's are getting. I spent 200 on my running 73 cb350 like 4 years ago.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

infinite fun : any price is a pretty good ratio :colbert:

Also, Phoenix to Vegas is a totally reasonable drive

Very true. It's gonna be awhile before I'm ready to purchase, but I'll hit my AZ bro up if I don't see it sell before then!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been watching videos all morning and now I want a Kawasaki 250 dual sport.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Renaissance Robot posted:

I see that and raise you this gorgeous death machine powered by two busa engines:

A replica of the Bugatti 100P air racer designed in 1939. The replica crashed in 2016, killing its pilot, because of course it did. The moral of the story is don't paint fast things blue.

This weapon kills dentists.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Im confused, what are they doing with the parts they stole from the bike?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh poo poo!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Gorson posted:

Basically America would work a helluva lot better if the geographic area was 10% of the size. The huge wide open spaces make infrastructure extremely difficult. As others have said, why should Cletus in Cowpie, Nebraska have to put in an expensive electrical charging station just for them city boys when they roll through 2 times a year? He can't really justify it financially, thus limiting e-bikes to urban areas.

Oh man don’t get me started on -

Gorson posted:

See also: the electoral college.

Oh ok there you go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
High of 68 and sunny here, friends! Gonna cruuuuise!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MomJeans420 posted:

I never changed my bike's clock when daylight saving time ended, now I'm reaping the benefit of my laziness but not having to press buttons randomly until I remember how to change the clock on my bike.

I get to change my clock and do basic chain maintenance today. Guess which I’m dreading.

I went on a really smooth ride though, what a good day.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mister Speaker posted:

my dream is to rent overpriced downtown apartments and search desperately for relatively-secure outdoor bike parking until I die

:respek:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My oil sight gauge is on the right side :argh:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah my R3 can do ~5.5. It’s a really fun bike but in a straight line, well, it’s a 321cc twin that won’t murder me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrxee_fazo

Edit: awful app embeds YouTube now!!!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 5, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Google Butt posted:

Frankly this is just kind of dream until we're on the other side of this pandemic, because right now is a real bad time to end up in the ER lol

Just move to my country, where a trip to the ER is life ruining regardless.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow he’s awesome at that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well my bike is stranded with a piece of metal in the center of the rear tire.

-Can I patch it with a car tire plug kit?
-Can I do the above temporarily just to get it home or to a shop?

Not trying to die and I have no clue.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s a clean cylindrical piece of metal that isn’t near the sidewall and went straight in. It’s like a link from a fence or something. I have a plug kit in my car which I’ve used all the drat time because my luck is poo poo.

I’m going to google but I assume I’m tubeless? It’s a 2019 R3.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They’re the stock R3 Dunlop SportMax’s and they have TUBELESS in giant letters on the side for rubes like me. My friend’s house was a block from where I noticed the puncture so I’m leaving it there overnight with a plug in and I’ll go look at the pressure tomorrow.

I don’t have a tpms so I’ll either buy one (I kinda want to anyways) or just go get the thing replaced. Or I mean if I’m already 100 dollars in the hole I may as well trade it for an SV650 right?

The silver one with the red frame? Right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I already have a decent gauge/pump so I’m just going to get a new tire for the peace of mind and call it problem solved.

Plus while they change it I’ll go sit on bikes which is cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went ahead and dropped my bike off to replace the tire today. Shop had it in stock and on sale and I was coming up on oil so I figured I’d just have them both done.

Anyways they had the new 2020 Ninja 650 sitting on display outside and I sat on it and I really like it. Has anyone here ridden one?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like how it felt like a sport-tourer. It has a similar feel to my R3 where you can sit up and relax or move your butt back and tuck down a bit. Also:

-Luggage options
-The ugly green (worse in person) ninja sticker looks easy to remove

Love the white.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think you can use most things that work on the Z650, including the OEM top box and Shad/Givi side boxes. I’d want to go with the latter.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m on the highway today and some guy in basketball shorts on a busa comes up near me, sits on the gas tank, throws his legs on the wind screen and just blasts off.

Which one of you was that?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like FortNine’s videos and they just dropped a good one on Harley Davidson loving up over the last few decades.

https://youtu.be/EOwxxsPaogY

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coydog posted:

Truly the most American company.

Bingo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like looking at different manufacturers when bikes come out at the end of the year, even crazy expensive hyper sports and giant touring bikes, neither of which I see myself buying ever.

That said, I have no interest in looking at anything Harley. Doesn’t matter what the bike is, I won’t make it past seeing the brand. I think Harley is the only make that does that 100% of the time for me. I’d rather look at a Norton.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I get that bigger=better talk from a coworker who rides a decked out Vulcan. He keeps saying that it’s not hard to get used to and I should just pull the trigger and I’m like uhhhh I live in the city and putting my 150lb rear end on an 800 pound bike will probably be a no forever.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 19, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SEKCobra posted:

I'm interested in the threads opinion on "smaller" bikes. The idea of buying a 300cc motorcycle appeals to me, because I am not looking for a lot of power (and as a beginner would actually be happy about something more tame) and could buy a really appealing bike brand new for a good price.
But so far, everyone has told me I need "at least" 600cc just because and because I am a pretty big guy. Is this just a "a motorcycle has to have better acceleration than a car" thing or would a small bike really croak under me?

How tall and heavy are you? Lots of people here have 250-400’s, myself included, and love them because they’re awesome and fun.

Sagebrush wrote a really good OP in the new riders thread. You should check that thread out. Ignore reddit. I get bored and read the threads where people ask if an R6 is a good starter and everyone says something other than “no you idiot.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I saw THREE boomers on HD’s today and not one of them waved at me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

I’ve had so many people wave at me that I wouldn’t have expected. From the grungiest hogs right out to scooters :haw:

I just idly wave at everyone now.

Also, invariably, everyone wants a wave while I’m busy working the clutch — sorry, you’ll all have to make do with an exaggerated nod :(

If it’s got two wheels I wave. Mopeds, bicycles, steamrollers, doggy wheelchairs, etc.

Edit: actually all dogs

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 22, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Keegers posted:

What were you on?

Most riders around me are Harley's. My personal ratio is:
Ninja - 1/10 wave back
Tiger 5/10
Vstar - 10/10 (Good thing most of them have bad eyes and don't realize I'm on a "jap crap" vstar)

Yamaha R3. I figured that was why. I’ve gotten poo poo from older guys at work for riding a “crotch rocket.”

A 321cc crotch rocket.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh yeah look at that. Why is that groove there? Some kind of fitting?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish they made a GoPro with magnetic charging. I’d buy a new one just to be able to leave it in my helmet mount and clip a charger to it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Strife posted:

I guess it would depend on the version, but this is a 5 (I think) and the charger door just pops off; I also have a 7 that does the same thing, and I think the new ones don't even have an external case. The battery dies in about an hour, so I usually plug it into a power bank battery I keep in my jacket if I'm going out for a while. I absolutely never ride without my GoPro since the whole dump truck incident.

drat mines a 7 so I’ll have to check.

Edit: yep. Props. Thank you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah if my butt isn’t the first to tell me it’ll be mental fatigue, usually the latter if I’m in a lot of traffic. If my mind starts wandering or I’m being less attentive then it’s time to call it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do you guys not have mirrors that let you look behind you? I shoulder check for merging but I like being able to see if anyone’s on my rear end when I’m coming to a light.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t know enough throttle part names to ask this question well so here it comes the stupid way:

Can I replace my throttle tube thing, or anything else, to reduce how much I have to twist my 2019 R3 throttle to get from stop to stop? As it stands I have to contort my wrist a lot just to go full open and I’d love to take it down about 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh that OEM R6 tube replacement sounds perfect. Thanks.