Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I-4's are for people who are too fat and lazy to shift :colbert:

It's even better on something like my DRZ where there isn't a tach. Am I off the rev limiter? Who knows! If it sounds OK keep on the throttle I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

z3n, freeway riding on a moto is interesting. It takes a different set of muscles to ride completely naked sitting straight up than it does for most other riding. But it's mysteriously quiet which is nice because you dont have wind from a windshield blasting you in the face. I don't have a problem with it, even for semi-long trips on the DRZ, which isn't the best freeway bike to begin with.

When you go on this trip and come through WA let us cats in Seattle know ya.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Downsides to DRZ touring would be the tiny stock gas tank (lots of aftermarket options), rear end numbing seat and top end buzz around 75-80

EDIT: It's also compounded by the fact that the steering lock key rattles and jingles around against the bar metal and makes lots of noise right now. The vibration isn't bad, but at freeway speed the engine does sound like it's working pretty hard without that 6th gear.
\/\/\/\/

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 13, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The advantage of a DRZ over some KTM's is it is actually possible to keep the front wheel on the ground. You can bring the DRZ's up without any problem, fling it, jump it, stoppie it and drift the crap out of it, within days of owning one really if you have riding experience. But it can also be pretty docile while being stupid amounts of fun. The more serious motards are all the more likely to get you arrested. You can talk yourself out of a speeding ticket, but you cant talk yourself out of a 'I was 5 feet in the air on accident!' situation.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Honestly, it looks great but I can't think of a good reason to spend the money on it instead of other options. It doesn't quite carve it's own niche enough to be truly special. If I want a twin I can have fun on twisty roads and drive across the country on, why wouldn't I buy something Italian?

I like it, and want to love it, I just don't see a reason I'd have to have one over another bike. Unless you always wanted a Harley, but don't have a massive gut yet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its definitely true that if I wave at someone and don't get a wave back, it's almost always a cruiser. Adventure bikers, motards, sport bikers, generally wave at everyone.

Well except the scooter people. I appreciate scooters are awesome, but somehow don't feel deserving of a motorcycle wave.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

that's just plain loving stupid. Double the cost of cheap, easy city transport so we'll all go out and buy American made...? Nothing. That's what.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Two fingers out to the side. Easy, obvious.

Unless I'm on the DRZ, because for some reason I started noticing people around Washington on dual sports seem to have standardized on palm flat, facing down out to your side.

Theres nothing quite like getting the noob wave from someone, I think that's just awesome.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Orange Someone posted:

Either open your visor and squint

Don't open your visor. Be prepared by having your helmet well cleaned with anti-fog stuff, but don't open the visor. Doing so will let moisture in, which will then heat up because the inside of your helmet is warmer than the outside, which will cause your helmet to fog up.

If your helmet is going nuts and you can't see at all, thats a different story and you just sort of have to tough it out.

It's pretty fun to turn your head from side to side and watch the rain droplets speed off your helmet though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I love my heated grips. They may not save my hands from getting cold on the knuckles when it's really frigid out, but they always save me from having to stop and defrost. They make cold late night rides pleasant.

I went for a pair that the actual grip heats up, not the kind you slide underneath the stock grips. My only complaint would be the heated grips are a good deal fatter and feel kind of goofy because of that compared to standard grips.

I really miss them on cold days when I ride the DRZ which doesnt have them.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Any day there isn't snow/ice is the day your supposed to be riding.

Exceptions: Long boring freeway errands on rainy days make cars acceptable.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's really just cool knowing that thing exists.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Have we ever discussed this crazy cool thing?:

http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

The Moto Czysz C1

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Who waited all week to watch a shoddy, lovely, commercial filled broadcast of motogp with crappy announcers and random techno music thrown in on speed channel only to have the premier race delayed till tomorrow? THIS GUY

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's not that I don't expect it to be total poo poo, its just that I have no other options for live coverage :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Can they wheelie without OIL?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What is this the cockpit of?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Uthor posted:

Jeez. It was a bullshit shooting, but I wasn't expecting him to get life.

Good. gently caress that guy.

Edit: Well I guess I can sort of sympathize with 'my daughters told me someone was after them and I'm a crazy trigger happy bastard and this happened'. If he had the full story from the get go, he probably wouldn't have shot anybody. So really what I meant to say is, gently caress that family.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is really only one place to hang out on GIXXER forums:

Crash forum hilarity/facepalm action

edit: Stay classy

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's my observation that a big thumper engine with FI has a hard time running smooth at constant throttle. The KTM just does not like going at a constant boring speed. The solution?

A) Rev the piss out of it
B) Constantly accellerate

I think I'm fine with this.

Also, dirtbikers, is there a trick to gripping a violently decellerating dirt bike with your body? Sport bikes are easy enough to grip the tank and use the seat to plant you in place so you don't apply pressure on the bars when stopping but I was noticing during my track day that under really hard braking I was putting more force into the bars than I really wanted to. It's possible to squeeze the bike a bit with your knees but it's not nearly as effective with a skinny slippery surface such as the KTM's meager plastics.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Linedance posted:

it loves to sing at 5500+

This is certainly true. Redline is 7800 RPM and at about 5k the thing just takes off. If your in 1st and accellerating hard, violent wheelie. 2nd? wheelie. 3rd? If your sitting forward the front will just chatter. Sitting back? Wheelie.

Love it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll be very interested in hearing more about that and seeing what it actually rides like. How supermoto is it to distinguish itself from the Adventure as a tourer.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Did Buell really just say 'Our bike wasn't that great, so we crushed one and made fun of ourselves for it'?

I just don't understand modern marketing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What possessed me to go to R1 forums and read the 'Is an R1 a good starter bike?' mega-thread, I may never know. What I do know is, my brain hurts, I want that hour back, and I never want to ride anywhere near these people.

Edit: Because I hate you, and you know you hate yourself too: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75113

quote:

nobody listens EVER!
if your lucky you'll die fast if you screw up bad
I named myself squid killer cause I was hit buy a guy on a gxer 750 he did a wheelie behind me right as I was on the brakes to make a turn, hit me and a black r1. Both of us r1 riders had lids and leather on the gxer had his on the bike. I was lucky my carbon can deflected the 750 it just grazed my leg didnt even go doun but the black r1 went doun hard _ it was toast the rider walked away with a cracked rib and a toasted helmet.
The rider on the 750 had a lot of blood on the steet it was all from his head, he was in a coma for about a month in the icu. The guy is toast he lived but his kids will never know who he was.
So do what you will, riding the bike isnt that tough but are you smart enough to to get a lid and leathers and alwase use em cause even when you think your good some squid or cage is lookin for ya, oh ya stay away from me

quote:

The R1 was my first Sport Bike. I've rode a '71 Honda CB350 for a couple of years. Yeah I totaled the R1 the first day I got it but honestly it was the "cager" that pulled in front of me. I'm going to get a 2004 R1 when they come out next year and have no fear of it. The R1 was a 100x more maneuverable then my Honda. I never chopped the throttle (ok on the way home a SS Camaro pulled beside me and punched the gas then I twisted the throttle a inch and I went from 65 to 100 in about 2 seconds and blew by him like he was in reverse and then I slowed back down).

quote:

I still say that the 04 R1 is the easiest bike to ride even for beginners and I recommend it highly.. Guys a bike is a bike. Respect the throttle and you can't go wrong.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 28, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fuuuuck, I live in Seattle. Don't want that asshat anywhere near me.

On the plus side, he's probably dead by now.

I couldn't find it to quote again but I read at least a few instances of 'had 2 lie it down b cuz o sum cagur, culda happnd to n e 1 so git the 1 and n joy'

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just want to relay a little story to everyone as a reminder of why you should be on the lookout.

Maybe a month ago now I was coming up on a light when it turned yellow on me and I decided to wait instead of gun it, so I apply the brakes and the next thing I know I hear a sound similar to cardboard skidding across concrete and my front tucks. Mercifully, at a most extreme lean angle all of a sudden, the front tire catches (Love you, Pirelli), the SM suspension soaks it up like a champ and I am upright and safe and wondering WTF just happened. What happened is this:

A 3ft long, 2ft wide piece of hard plastic has been left in the road, I'm assuming from a nearby construction project. The drat thing was the exact color of the pavement around it and very thin, making it very difficult to spot even when I was off the bike looking for it. My front tire had run over it, and the plastic had gone sliding forward and sideways carrying my front along with it. I hucked it off past the sidewalk and thanked my bike and equipment for not loving me.

Just goes to show, you can't ever stop looking out for new and creative ways for the road to try and get ya.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

shop clearly hosed up, so that's their curse, the laws going to come down on them.

However, this guy is a loving idiot and I'm not the least bit sad for him or his injuries. Though if he really did manage to loop a vulcan, I'm impressed. It would mean he didnt just grab a bunch of brake locking it up but eased into a full deathgrip brake and managed to stoppie it to painville. Awesome.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's impossible to have fun on a supermoto. SMs are for pussies who can't handle one hunnert horse power.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This guy's just plain loving cool

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ya, hi, welcome to my world.

The 690 burned the inside of my right pant leg completely off basically. I have a pair of jeans that literally caught on fire. All my backpacks have melt spots from the exhaust, and my girlfriends leg has been severely burned.

Good times.

Solution for me: More aggressive use of the pegs... passengers stop you from backing it in anyway so...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like your moves Yamaha.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/09/10/2010-yamaha-yz450f-turns-cylinder-around-air-travels-straight-through/

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

I was thinking that same thing, a lot of those corners seem to have very un-friendly-looking walls on the outside edge.

Welcome to Pacific Raceways, the best in western washington :(

Your run off area might just be a evergreen tree!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I caught my ladyfriend sleeping on the back of my bike more than once. She was very comfortable with bikes, having been on them since age 7 or so. Every so often I'd have to prod her a bit to make sure she was still awake while going down the freeway, otherwise sure enough, she'd lock herself into position and pass out. Crazy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool and I will be going, probably on Sunday.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

I think I'm going on Friday, and when I'm done I think I'll go check out some dead Chinese people with no skin later.

Well if the plan changes and you end up going on Sun let us know. The Bodies exhibit is rad, went there last week. Worth it. [/derail]

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

redscare posted:

None of the aftermarket poo poo made for a literbike is going to have one iota of usefulness for touring.

TOURING

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

aburbaburbaburbuaburbuaburba

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll help you ride the poo poo out of it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Holy poo poo. Buy it. Now.

(if its more than a pile of rust)

Eugene isn't that far from here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ranathari posted:

The worst thing about motorbike forums is how people who have great opinions about bikes and are full of helpful knowledge turn into complete shitholes with the most obnoxious and repulsive beliefs in the general banter sections.

Never ever wander into the general discussion forums on bike or area specific sites. EVER.

Unless your totally into guns and NO BAMA