Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Coredump posted:

Do you not remember the AI state of the union thread that was only a few months ago? Whenever we have a motorcycle general discussion thread in AI all the motorcycle content gets sucked into one huge monster of a thread. New threads don't get made, and it gets hard to read about motorcycles unless you follow the thread closely.

I just want to understand what is it about motorcycles that you NEED to have a thread to hang out in. There is not an equivalent thread to this for the car side of AI. So a little over 3 months and this beast is back.

I think sometimes I just want to talk motorcycles with someone, or even just read about it, but not anything in specific. I don't have many riding buddies so I can't really geek out about motorcycles with anyone who really understands. For instance, I hated the D&D exhaust on my ex500 up until moving to Savannah GA. Something about how the bike echo's off the buildings downtown here though really makes me love the exhaust note in a way I hadn't before.

Also are there any good websites with cross nation or state specific motorcycle roads. I haven't been able to find a single interesting twisty road around here yet and I need to lean the bike over a bit to keep myself sane. It's too the point where I look forwards to the squares here, cause I can actually lean the bike a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I found an abandoned track today. I took a lot of pictures and probably will be posting a thread soon. So much for the not having fun roads to ride on, now I have a free track! 8 different corners, rumble strips still on the insides, and a quarter or 8th mile front stretch just left all intact on an island 3 minutes from my dorm.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

What?!? That's crazy...do you have any idea why it was abandoned? Are you trespassing by being there? This seems way too good to be true...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987570
I posted it in AI cause I figured anyone who lives around the area or is visiting would enjoy knowing about it. I have no idea if it's considered trespassing but I'm going to ride it until I get told otherwise. In all honesty everyone there seems really cool with me riding it. It has a tight section that sits between two pieces of golf course and I've gotten friendly waves from a number of golfers already. They close it off at night but open it up during the day, so I can only assume it is left open on purpose.

If you read the thread apparently it was made for champ car racing and it just never fully took off. It is insanely fun and I am putting way to many miles on the bike there. I must have road at least 200 miles there over a two day span this weekend.

Edit: The only people I saw was two people on a scooter putting around, a family having a picnic outside one of the runoffs, some kid hard parking to get some tyte photos, oh, and a ridiculously fast mustang doing hot laps and laying down some rubber.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Someone hit my loving bike and knocked it over or something today when I was out to eat. I don't even understand what or how whatever happened did but I came out to this damage. Firstly, not a single scratch on any of the plastics or crack that wasn't their before. The left passenger peg is bent forward a bit, instead of sitting at a 90 degree angle to the bike, it sits at like a 45 degree angle. The rear brake and front brake are bent in ways I don't understand at all. The rear brake got pushed inward and the front brake is bent down and away from the bars. Also the front grip is slightly scraped up on the brake side.

My only thought is somehow someone hit the left hand passenger peg with their car (it was out because I rode two up) and pushed the bike over to its right hand side, which somehow bent the brakes and nothing else. I am more confused than pissed, and sadly I need a vice of some sort to bend everything back, so I think I'm just going to ride with everything bent.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
You know your bike is too old when you get denied by 3 shops and have to sign a book of release of liability forms from dealership just so they can do basic maintenance. The mechanic at the dealership said he had never even seen an 88' ex500, yet alone worked on one. And when I explained how if he's worked on an 05 ex500 there will be very few differences, he looked at me like I was insane.

Looks like its time to pray my bike comes back in one piece and start saving up for a new bike from this millennium (I've wanted to upgrade badly anyway). Any suggestions? I'm thinking of waiting until summer and trying to get around $1500 for the ex500 and upgrading to 600 supersport. I'm very keen to the Triumph 675, which is definitely a bit more powered then an r6 or gsxr600 but if I can find a decent used one I will probably jump all over that.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Too many dealerships are letting the experienced techs go because they get paid so much more than some scrub newb.

That 88 is exactly the same, mechanically, as any modern one, your tech is an idiot.

Agreed completely the only changes to the 500 were almost all cosmetic and I think rear brake like someone else said. I actually just moved down here (Savannah, Ga) from NJ, and my tech guy in NJ was great. Apparently everyone down here has no idea about anything that isn't 2000+ and 6+ inches of extended swing arm.

I've seen more R6's with 6+ inches of swing arm extension here than I ever have in my entire life. I just have close to 0 tools down here so I couldn't do anything besides clean the carbs myself, so at the dealership it sits.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I've been stuck in rain with a dirty visor before, it sucks. What I normally do (since I have a cheap helmet that fogs when the visor is closed if its raining) is put the visor at the half open mark and get into full tuck. Doing that let's it stay unfogged and being fully tucked normally lets the rain slide off. If it isn't I'll reach up and wipe it clean if it starts getting bad.

The rain isn't what sucks, its the mist the comes off the other cars driving in it that sucks.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Well, that depends too. I pay $78 a year for my insurance, and that's what, 6 bucks a month? And some of us assholes still put Chen Shins on our bikes :haw:

Yeah I would only have to pay about 120 a year if I didn't have insane amounts of medical insurance on my bikes insurance as well. Even with that it works itself out to being much less then car insurance. For me, the motorcycle does save money, but not much, and this is because it is my only form of transportation with a motor, no car for me. Even then, my bike seems to break a whole bunch, so that figure is evening itself out as well.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
My 88' ex500 just turned over 40k miles in november. The odometer reads 20k, but it was replaced at roughly 20k miles on the motor from word of previous owner. Just got the compression tested at the shop (needed work done on the carbs, so they double checked compression due to its age) and it's still right around 150psi and running strong. I'm a firm believer in properly maintained engines lasting forever. My first car was a ford f150 with 500,000 miles on the motor, and not a single problem because it was maintained perfectly.

The reason you don't see sport bikes with 50k+ miles on them very much is because for most people they are not commuter vehicles, just toys.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Are goons doing deals gap again this year? I'm actually close enough to go now.

Wondering the same, because I also am as well.

Good news today, I got my bike back this morning (88 Ninja 500)! Bad news is even though it runs, it runs like complete loving rear end. I have no idea what is wrong with it, and when I called the mechanic he said it was probably bad gas, and to let it run the gas out before I worry. The bike feels like its running without an exhaust on it, because I ran it with just straight headers for a week a year ago, and it feels identical. It is ok, but still sluggish, until about 6k rpm, and then from 6k rpm and 10k it will basically stop pulling completely and stay at maybe 8k rpm's at best. The exhaust note is also a bit deeper than what it was, and completely different sounding once it hits that 6-7k rpm mark (almost deep like a harley, instead of higher revving like it should sound).

I think it could be a few things, my first thought was that the carbs aren't properly synched, but I don't know how that would feel. My other thought is the dumbass mechanic had no loving idea how to properly tune my bike to my jet kit I have in it after dicking around in my carbs for a week the jets are completely out of wack. I'm happy it can get me places now, but I seriously am sick of having a bike that will not run properly (especially when I pay people to make it run properly). I'm debating just throwing it on craigslist and being done with it.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Nerobro posted:

This is where you demand your money back. If it's not running right, he didn't complete the job. My bikes all run just fine, even on year old gas. Old gas won't be a problem until you reach high throttle settings.

Basically, your mechanic is poo poo.

This I know, the fucker took 2 goddamn weeks, to order new floats. He ordered them one at a time apparently, because hes a loving idiot and forgot to order two, but didn't notice until only one of them showed up in the shop. So it looks like when I get some free time I'm going to cruise over to the shop and bitch a whole bunch to the owner. The compression on it was loving fantastic, which I'm very happy with, and it has new plugs as well. Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking he hosed up.

I'm going to run the fuel out anyway, and if that doesn't change it (which I highly doubt it will) the shop will be getting an ear full.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Gr3y posted:

It has compression and new plugs, but does it have spark?
Did he check/replace the coils and caps while he was there?
Does it smell like it's running really rich while feeling like it's running lean? Like kicking out unburned fuel rich?

I have no idea if he checked the coils and caps (I don't know what those are :eng99:) but yes actually, quite a few times I've smelt gas when coming to a stop and its definitely popping some serious backfire when I roll off the throttle compared to how it was.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
How come it seems that whenever I stand up on my motorcycle to give my rear end a 20 second break every car within eyeshot of me has to speed up and go around me as fast as possible. It happened 3 times when I was out riding yesterday. I can only assume they think I'm going to do some mad stuntaz wheelies down the road but why would speeding past me make there situation any better at that point as opposed to slowing down, or not driving next to me?

\/\/\/\/\/ Yeah thats what I figured. But damned if it doesn't scare the poo poo out of me every time I'm standing and a car blows by me when it was a good 4 car lengths behind me prior to that. \/\/\/\/\/

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 1, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So not even a week after getting my bike out of that goddamned shop, the clutch cable snaps while I'm parking it (thankfully not driving it) 5 blocks from my house. So I got the pleasure of forcing it into neutral, then walking a motorcycle 5 blocks home. The mechanic said my clutch was "on it's way out" which I assumed meant it was going to need to be replaced in a few thousand miles, not the cable critically snap after less than 40 miles of gentle as gently caress riding.

I currently have 3 dollars to my name, so looks like its time to figure out how to fix a clutch.

EDIT: What mechanic in their right loving mind would let someone ride a motorcycle with a clutch that was that close to being a critical failure.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Should have clarified, he lubed all my cables for me, including the clutch cable. So he was right up and personal with it. The initial Argh Mechanics rage has cleared and I ordered a new clutch cable already (thank god I never use credit cards). Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and I'll be able to replace it, it seems easy enough. Plus the cable was cheap.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I'll always give harley guys completely ridiculously unnecessary waves when they refuse to wave back while riding. I've seen a harley guy coming put my hand out, on a straight road and we were the only two on it, he looked at it, then just stared me in the eyes and did what I can only assume was his best attempt at a "I'm a toughguy" face right at me. So I decided to wave like an idiot and smile really big at him and wave my arm around like a mad man.

He waved back after that.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Bicyclists...eh they mostly piss me off. Why are you riding in the street and causing a backup? Every time I see a bicyclist here it is accompanied with a line of cars trying to get around him via the opposing lane, only they can't because cars are in that lane too. Ride on the drat sidewalk, or at least the shoulder for christ's sake.

Being originally from NJ I used to feel the same way. But now that I live in a city with a large amount of bicycle riders my opinions change. I feel that yes, there are dumbass bicyclists who will clog up traffic, but there are also situations where traffic is really dumb and for some reason won't pass, thus letting it back up until the bicyclist can pull over.

As for waving, I wave to bicycles on the motorcycle and motorcycles on the bicycle. The motorcyclists normally wave back, but the bicyclists normally look confused.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

At the risk of inviting bragging and bullshit: anyone offered a cute girl/guy a ride out of the blue and had them accept?

I never carry a second helmet around on the bike, so thats normally a no go. However, it has sparked a conversation or two, which led to rides later on.

I'm sure it would lead to a ride if I had a second helmet though. Most people, expecially college people, are very down to doing whatever and I don't mind riding 2 up that much.

Also don't worry. You consciously ride slower when 2 up, and I personally ride alot safer because its not just my life I'm putting on the line if I ride dumb. But 2 up riding is very simple, after the first 20 feet youre used to it.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

I find that bikes really tend to attract dudes more than anything.

This is very very true. But since I go to an art school its ok, because there aren't many people into the automotive scene here it helps me meet riding/talk car buddys.

I've found a lot of girls actually strongly dislike motorcycles do to the whole "You're an idiot for riding one it is a death machine" stigma. Riding 2 up is fun, but on the 500 the power loss due to extra weight is certainly felt under acceleration.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So today is day two of my impromptu "Lets ride from Savannah GA back to NJ!" spring break trip. Hopefully its the last day, the ride so far has been pretty much everything that is a nightmare. It took me roughly 9 hours to get 400 miles. Apparently I picked the only weekend of the year that not only is it raining, but it is sub 40 degree weather and raining from Savannah, all the way to DC. I made it about halfway, and just had to stop and get a hotel to dry out for the night. The bike, which was fun to find out, refuses to go faster than 70 mph, unless its downhill, then it will very slowly work its way to maybe 80. Also, my gps decided to freeze 20 minutes into the trip, and won't turn back on, so I taped directions to my tank, in a plastic bag.

What makes it most fun, is all of my raingear is in NJ. So yesterday I was simply just getting loving completely soaked all day. Today I plan to wrap myself in garbage bags under my gear to stay dry.

That said, I have definitely had a small amount of fun. In my mind, few things beat passing a good 20 trucks with gold wings trailered behind them from daytona bike week, in the rain on I-95, Doing 70.

So an overall gear check list on how it preforms in the rain at speed for you all.
MotoGP corkscrew jacket: Your arms and sides get soaked within minutes, chest is fine.
Setup Boots: Hahahahaha. If you look at rain, you have an inch of water in your boot.
River Road textile pants: A whole ripped in the crotch about 100 miles in, for no reason but them being used alot. Thusly, my crotch is constantly wet/cold which is less than enjoyable, and they aren't even close to waterproof.
HJC-CL15(I think) Helmet: Who likes fogged visors!

Currently I'm wearing 2 pairs of gloves I picked up at a truckstop under my riding gloves, which helps a bit, and 2 pairs of socks. Also wearing a beanie style hat and bandana since apparently nobody knows what a baclava is. The bandana honestly has made the ride a thousand times easier. Wearing it bandit style lets me breath warm air back onto my face, which is much needed.

Heres too another long long day of riding a 21 year old bike running at half its potential through poo poo rear end weather on I-95. I'm just looking to push through DC as fast as possible, as supposedly the rain stops just around there.

fake edit: And I'm getting MAYBE 25mpg, so I'm stopping every 60-80 miles for gas (which is more of a blessing then anything, because its an excuse to get feeling back in my hands without feeling like I'm constantly pulling over)

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So I'm home, with the motorcycle, but it wasn't fun at all. Took a few pictures while I was sitting under the bridge where route 100 runs over I-95, for 2 hours. The motorcycle is hosed and I have no idea what happened. I'm probably going to make a new post on it, just due to the sheer ridiculousness of the trip.

And for whoever said it, I did know it was poo poo on the highway, but I really didn't have an option. There was a family emergency and I was needed at home, so I got here, just in a lovely lovely way.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Trintintin, at least you're home...I had a friend who limped his ZX11 400 miles after it dropped a valve.

Yeah I ended up limping the 500 down 95 for about 50 miles to get within range of my free 200 mile tow for triple a. So I guess for things to go wrong, the went wrong as well as they could (and triple a has payed for itself 13 times over). I also think I cracked my radiator at some point in DC. I stopped to fix my gear, and when i looked at the motorcycle it was POURING out smoke, which I first thought was the rain smoking off the exhaust, until I looked down to see a WHOLE mess of green fluid running away from the bike. The hose was fine and everything along those lines it just wouldn't hold fluid the minute it started to warm up. When it was cold water would sit just fine (didn't have proper fluid so I made due) but the minute it warmed up it immediately would get rid of it all again.

I'm going to roll it down to the local shop tomorrow and have them tell me whats wrong with it. I can't afford for it to be fixed but at least to have an idea of what needs to be done. It will start as of now, but will not idol or even get close to running above 4k rpm with WOT in neutral. I'm thinking one of the carbs (which I supposedly just got fixed) is hosed, and the radiator is obviously a problem. I'm happy it starts still though, lets me know the engine is running ok and it is most likely just a carb problem. I'll start a thread with details on it later in the day hopefully.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Can you tell where it's leaking from? Is it coming out the overflow or somewhere else? If it's hemorrhaging out of the overflow maybe your thermostat is stuck.

No Idea, I'm gonna pull off the lower fairing tomorrow and try and find where its leaking from. I decided to put off the thread until tomorrow because I'm tired as hell, and I want to find out where it's leaking from first.

I definitely am only running on one cylinder at the moment. When I started it up, one of the cylinders was just pouring out smoke, and it wouldn't idle at all without some heavy throttle input.

On the bright side of things, I took my favorite picture of my motorcycle so far, while sitting under route 100 waiting for my tow.
http://i44.tinypic.com/w2mxaf.jpg

Edit: z3n. While it has been nothing but issues for me, I'm actually still really happy with what it's been. I've learned so much from it being such a complete piece of trash that I really don't even want to trash it. My current thought is that if it's as hosed as I think it is, I'm just going to drain it of gas and store it till summer and try and fix it myself. I can get by with a bicycle till fall when I get more student loan money to misuse on motorcycles! The fact that I can pretty confidently diagnose whats wrong with it just by listening to and looking at it is amazing for me, seeing as I had never touched a wrench on anything but a bicycle until last year.

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 16, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Aflicted posted:

He wasn't even proficient enough to ride in the 5 mph traffic moving and turning around him.

I would love to hear what he did. Also the riding with a jacket and other gear but taking off the helmet, especially on a busa in my opinion, is a classic case of someone riding for the image and the image only. The benefit of living around the 1000s of retards who don't wear helmets let alone gear is that if for some reason you get in reasonable police trouble, they generally compliment you on your gear and will let you slide a bit. I live right over the border of SC so we have a decent chunk of helmet less retards who will flood in, and normally get pulled over immediately.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Actually, I learned that that is not true awhile back in a similar arguement that took place somewhere on SA. Apparently the cost per accident is higher when there's a helmet law in place, because more people survive accidents that they otherwise would have died in, requiring expensive things like skin grafts, etc. I don't recall exactly which state it was where they discovered that. But the end result was that after the helmet law was passed, the overall cost per accident went up, not down :(

That makes perfect sense, body bags are WAYYY cheaper than months of reconstructive surgery and amputations in a hospital bed. The same riders that don't wear a helmet normally won't wear any other gear, so even with a helmet they are going to get pretty hosed up.

That said, I don't wear a helmet because my flowing luscious red locks match the bike better than any helmet ever could. :haw:

Edit: /\/\/\/\/\ I'm pretty sure all debts are transferred to the closest living survivor of said dead person so family would pay it off not the insurance company./\/\/\/\

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Debt isn't transferred unless the survivor takes whatever the debt is connected to. IE, the closest survivor would to accept the debt in order to take the motorcycle, otherwise they can't get the bike, but don't have to pay the debt. Same goes for houses and anything else.

Ahh interesting that good to know, that is a bunch more fair then how my mind had it pegged.

Tomorrow is the big day where my shop gets my bike and tells me what the damage will be. The lovely part is regardless of the price, I'll be unable to fix it due only having enough money for the plane ticket back to school. So I guess it will be a case of weather or not I fix it after pulling it out of the garage this summer, or try and part it out after pulling it out of the garage this summer. Here's hoping its the carbs that hosed up, so I can march into the shop back in GA and demand some sort of compensation due to them loving my entire bike up then giving it back to me to ride.

If it threw a piston, well, I will be one sad/poor college student who will be riding a bike for awhile.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Bugdrvr posted:

One word:

Bees

If you have the visor open it's a scoop for bees. And wasps.

Ive had a bee hit me in the chest then bounce back to life into my chin and up into my closed visor. I freaked out, opened the visor, and thankfully it flew right out without stinging me. Bees are a bitch, but I'm sure that bee was 100% more freaked out then me.

You know you have an awesome mechanic when....you casually talk with him about test rides and upgrading in the future to a bigger bike, and loving the z1000 style and seating position, he gets all bright eyed and says "Next time you see that orange z1000 out front stop in and I'll let you ride it, its mine." We then talked about how its very possible that once I test ride a few bikes, I'll still probably come back to the z1000 due to it being, in his words, one of the best well rounded street bikes hes ever ridden.

The z1000 realllly isn't a liter bike, right guys.........right? :(

Fake Edit: I didn't ball up my 500 so I think that means I WOULDN'T have to change my username to Blaise v2.0 right?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So I got my bike back from the shop today!

Shes toast/fried/done.

The shop said I had a hole in my radiator, due to the plastics rubbing on it wrong and ever so slowly rubbing a hole in the radiator. The previous owner had dumped the bike, and apparently bent the front fairing-stay so they didn't sit exactly square, but who would've guessed that could happen.

Anyway the hole in the radiator then caused my bike to run really really hot (duh) and cook my rings, so obviously it was running hot the entire time, not just the few minutes indicated. My guess is the rain threw off my temp gauge some way so I didn't notice it, either that, or my bike decided to poo poo the bucket very quickly. What then happened was my right piston decided to go insane inside the case and wreak havoc. The mechanic said he took off the plugs, and the spark plug head was smashed flat due to the piston going crazy. I was quoted on what it would cost to fix for shits and giggles and because my shop knows I've put a good bit of time into the bike, and it obviously wasn't even close to worth it.

That said, I'm going to part it out if I can find the need for it. Otherwise I might stay on the prowl for a wrecked 500 with a good engine still. I plan on draining it of fuel and storing it till mid-june and by then if I haven't found a cheap engine with good compression, and a cheap radiator in good condition, the bikes being parted out.

Who needs parts from a first gen ex500? :haw:

Also, the shop seemed really weirded out, yet relieved, that I was going about this in such a light hearted manner. I'm more relieved that I don't have to make that decision of 'do I spend 400 dollars to fix it AGAIN, or just scrap it finally'. I get to search the market for a few months for parts, try and find some way to get a few extra bucks in the next months so hopefully by fall I can upgrade to a running motorcycle, and buying new things is fun!

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Aflicted posted:

I am curious how your piston came up so high that it slapped the spark plug, or am I reading this wrong. The fairing on the 500 is plastic so it wore out a radiator? I think I am looking at this wrong, but drat that seems like some really poo poo luck. Sorry to hear it is done for.

Nope you're reading it correctly, it literally was coming up high enough to slam into the spark plug, I was not kidding when I said it went insane. Yeah the plastic wearing out the radiator seems really unlikely to me as well, I'd assume a bolt or something FROM the fairing wore a hole, but tomorrow I'll check it out and see whatsup/how big the hole is.

Nerobro posted:

Lesson learned. "If I don't know what's causing what's wrong, don't try to limp it home" :-)

Eh not how I see it. Lesson Learned, when your radiator cracks 230 miles from home, and you get one free tow from Triple A for 200 miles, you limp it those extra 40 miles to be safe throwing a piston.
Towing from DC to upstate NJ, PLUS replacing a radiator, when it isn't free, would have been around $2500 (lowball). I had roughly $300 to my name at the time the radiator spilled its guts on the ground, so it was the lesser of two evils seeing as the bike wasn't even worth that much money when it was running perfectly.

Edit: And I got a free ride home, instead of having to catch a ridiculously expensive cab or make someone drive 3 hours to get me.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In case anyone is as noob as I, or is amused by noob idiocy:

Left my lights on, drained my battery. So I'm sitting on a dead bike in a parking lot 2mi from home by myself. Called my brother and asked "can you google up 'push start motorcycle'?"

He reads the instructions, I think I got it, and I've got a nice long stretch of 75m of gradual slope, and 50m of relatively steep downhill. Perfect.

Get on, start riding it down, can't get the barest whimper from the engine. Get all the way to the bottom of the hill. gently caress it, guess I'll have to walk home, drive me car here, and jump start it. I hop off and start to push it to the side to park it, and as I do so get a little rumble in the engine.

Hold up... did I just ride down the entire hill with the clutch engaged?. Yep. So I pushed it uphill about 10m, left it in second, released the clutch, and the engine kicked in before it rolled even 10ft.

Worked out okay, but drat did I feel retarded.

Don't feel bad. I spent an hour trying to push start my bike for the first time when the battery died due to an extreme cold front that moved in while I was in work. I was an idiot and forgot the very important put it in SECOND gear (not first) step, so the back tire would lock up every time. The worst part about push starting a motorcycle down a hill, is pushing it back up said hill when you gently caress up. Also....don't forget to turn the killswitch to the on position :downs:. Don't worry I'm a pro at it now though.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Ola posted:

Goondolences. :smith:

But, in the name of science and motoporn. Open that bitch up and check out the insides! You might also be able to ebay engine parts that are ok.

I'm planning on doing that come summer. I only have a few days left in NJ with the bike until I go back to school, so it wouldn't be worth it now. Also in the name of science I might be picking up a parts motor and radiator when I'm back at school if the price is right, so this summer could be very fun! That said, I've now been bitten with the z1000 bug and want one very badly.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Ola posted:

Considering the tiny price gap between low and high end bikes compared to cars, it's not hard to see how those who get into motorcycles without getting into motorcycle culture sneer at anything that isn't the leanest, meanest and quickest.

Show him some good ride report threads from advrider.com, like this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431849

ADVrider is like crack to me goddamn. Every single time I see a ride report, I say to myself "I'll read the first 3 pages".

About 30 pages and an hour or two later I have to tear myself away from it, because I know if I read anymore it will end with me buying a dual sport and dropping out of school to travel the country with a camera.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I just sold a motorcycle with a blown engine and radiator with a hole in it, that is 21 years old, that I bought for $1000, for $500.

Thats right, I road a motorcycle for almost 2 years, blew its engine and radiator, put almost 10k miles on the previous 14k miles, learned a large amount about working on motorcycles and cars in general, and only lost $500 (excluding insurance, modzzz, and maintenance).

I also paid for a years worth of insurance, and since I didn't use but half of it, I get a pretty sweet check back in the mail for that as well.

Today was a good day.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I don't know much at all about cars or motorcycles in general, but I have never ever heard of a circuit breaker on either a car or motorcycle.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Valfar posted:

Chain Broked

You're very very lucky. I had the chain blow on my ninja 500 (R.I.P) when I was doing about 20mph shifting from first to second. Of course it locked itself into my tire, freezing the rear tire and sliding me to a stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Simkin posted:

:rant: loving KIDS :argh:

That was my worst nightmare when I had to park my ex500 in my college dorms parking. Instead I was once greeted with someone smoking a cigarette while sitting on my motorcycle and ashing on my tank. I casually walked up to him and the following ensued.
Me: "Hey nice motorcycle dude, how long have you owned it?"
:smug:: "Ha nah this isn't mine, I'm just sitting on it and taking a smoke break, but i've wanted one for awhile!"
Me: "Yeah I know it's not yours, because it's mine, now how about getting the gently caress off of it and buying your own if you want a seat that badly"
:aaa:: "Oh poo poo, sorry man, I'm really sorry, I didn't think the guy who owned it was around!"

Needless to say I never caught him sitting on my bike again, let alone ashing on it. Though I was impressed that it never got pushed over by some drunk douche.