Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What's the current state of emulation for the DS?

The links to nesDS is 404.

How is SNEmul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Nickoten posted:

SnemulDS is on the whole pretty bad, but it works fairly well for some games you might want it for. I know that Super Mario World and Link to the Past work near flawlessly, for example, and Chrono Trigger works okay, too (Though at this point you may as well wait for the port). The compatibility overall is pretty mediocre, but that shouldn't stop you from trying it with some of the games you really want to play. You might be surprised!

It's good to hear that at least some games play. Was SnemulDS the first and only SNES emulator for the system so far? Is anything else in the works?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I'm no pirate, but I still rip all my games to ROMs and play them off my M3 Lite. Carrying one thing instead of 20 cartridges is WAY better.

How is this done? I'm getting a CycloDS soon and while I have no interest in downloading illegal games I would love to consolidate my library of cartridges.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the answers - that's all I needed to know!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got a CycloDS for Christmas and I'm having trouble getting Moonshell and SNEmulDS to work properly.

Here's what my root directory looks like:

The Apps folder contains one file: MoonShell_DSX_DS-Xtreme.nds

When CycloDS boots, it will not let me select the Media icon from the three icons on the main menu. It tells me that Moonshell is not loaded. It lets me run Moonshell from using a separate icon but I don't think this is correct.

The SNES folder contains a few SNES rom files I loaded as a test. SNEmulDS loads but it does not display the rom files. The rom files have been played on my computer so I know they work.

Any ideas?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

vkeios posted:

The media button loads /moonshl/moonshell.nds
Either move your nds file or grab the moonshell rar from Cyclops' site.

I did not have a moonshell.nds file with the package I downloaded from the Cyclos site. I moved the MoonShell_DSX_DS-Xtreme.nds file into the /moonshl directory but it's still not working. I'll keep loving around with it. If anyone else notices anything strange please let me know.

SkinnyMan posted:

I had to make sure I had the .smc extension on the snes roms, or else none of them would show up, so give that a try.

Renaming the files with the extension worked perfectly. Thanks!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Keito posted:

That's for a DS-X, not your CycloDS, so it shouldn't be working.

I open the site linked above and immediately see "Moonshell v1.71 for CycloDS Evolution (Release 3)". Just go there and download it.

Thanks - it's working now. I must have gotten confused.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So from what I can tell using a flash cart depletes the DS battery faster than if using a normal game. Will the battery capacity continue to decline the more I use the flash cart?

I realize of course that several factors go into determining battery usage but I'm just looking for general info.

Will I have to replace my battery sooner as a result of using flash carts?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've tried multiple times to run NethackDS on my Cyclo but it isn't working. When I load the game, the screens flash briefly with a strobe of multicolor bars and then both screens go white and nothing happens.

Here are the two directory settings I have tried. The first is the one I am currently using.

Root/Homebrew/NethackDS/Nethack/NetHackDS.nds

Root/Homebrew/NethackDS/NetHackDS.nds

The files were downloaded from here: http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS

My Cyclo is running the most current firmware.

Any ideas?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ara posted:

You need to dump everything into the root. Like the instructions say, the nethack folder has to be in the root.

As I was posting my question, the thought struck me that I probably missed some obvious instructions somewhere.

It's working now and I am still retarded. Thanks!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

boo_radley posted:

loving Powder! :argh: It's adorably impossible.

I'm not too good at it but I love it. I play it more than anything else at the moment. Floor five is the farthest I've gotten.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Are there any other homebrew word games for the DS other than Word Up?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Schizoguy posted:

Word Wrap?
Joggle?

Thanks! I'll check them out tonight when I get home.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

^^^^ Forgot to make it 3, even though one was posted before it is continually updated

Yes

Regarding the "e" link in that "Yes" - what kind of routine puts you in a place where you would find a PDF viewer for the DS handy? I use PDFs rarely, and pretty much only when I'm at work. I'm just curious.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've been digging Knytt on the DS. It's a great game for a handheld system and perfect to play at night before going to sleep :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Goomba posted:

I know this is off the current topic, but does anyone have any suggestions of good DS games? I've already gone through most of the popular ones, but I'm interested in the less popular (but still good) games like Theresia: Dear Emile.

There's a huge general DS thread here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Aside from Knytt Stories, have there been any notable game releases recently?

• Locked thread